• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
STARTERS
Battlefield*
Dreamland 64
Final Destination**
Smashville
Town and City

COUNTERPICKS
Duck Hunt
Lylat Cruise
Omega Stages**
Miiverse**
*During the Counterpick process, if Final Destination is banned, Omega Stages are too.
**During the Counterpick process, if Battlefield is banned, Miiverse is too.

"the world's worst" is maybe an exaggeration, but there are a few more stages I'd have on there, personally
That's actually slightly better than the list the TO around here is pushing for. Imagine that, but with only Battlefield, Smashville, and Final Destination as starters.

Yeah, needless to say, a starter list where specific character types are guaranteed a stage they're dominant on in Round 1 is a questionable move. It's also why I'm working on my Lucario so I'm not at an inherent disadvantage.

Last edited:

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Regarding Robin's reveal...

My excitement over the reveal of Lucina AND ROBIN when I watched the video was... over 9000. I contained it well, but if I didn't have a ginormous grin on my face, I don't know what. Lucina was a character I was really hoping for (I had my Avatar marry her, after all... so pretty.), but seeing Robin on top of it put it over the top. Basically, it came down to "I can play as myself now, and not via those weak Miis?! HECK YEAH!!" And the tomes in the video really made me happy too, since Smash never put any mage-type characters from FE before.

Regarding Tales of series...

My opinion is somewhat of an odd-man-out, but I actually liked Abyss better than Symphonia. VERY controversial. But hear me out. My main gripes with ToS were the theological themes,
casting angels as bad guys, having Kratos be a Seraphim, making out the Church of Martel and its Pope to be villains
and the graphics. Some people like chibi-style characters and toon shading, but I generally like my RPGs to have more of an aged-up feel. How else could you appreciate Sheena? I kid, I kid, but I'm only human. I still enjoyed the story, despite the themes I disagreed with, and long play-time is a great thing. I always go for value when I buy games, so the longer the RPG, the better. However, I freakin' hated Palmacosta Ranch. Truly, I will never understand why some developers tape on "identical room" mazes without any hint. I had to buy a game guide to get past it, and I never finished Mega Man Star Force 2 for the same reason. My favorite characters from that game were Lloyd, Kratos, and Sheena.

On to Abyss. Luke is a jerk, no questions asked. It's even harder the second time you play through, but by then, you can make it through that part of the game in about 8 hours, so it could be worse. Regardless, I like how nearly all the characters in your party have some secret they are keeping from the rest of the group. It was done naturally as well, rather than tacked on stupidly like Descole's secret in Professor Layton. Tear is probably my favorite heroine in the series, for many reasons, obvious or not. Sheena comes in second. Guy's gynophobia is hilarious, and I love how Anise and Natalia tease him to no end with it. And I agree: Jade makes the game go round. Especially when Dist is around.

"Why, if it isn't Dist the Runny!"

I have played Phantasia, will post more about it later.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
So in remembrance of our dear beloved tactician's 1st reveal anniversary, a snippet from an actual facebook conversation between me and a friend.

Me: I must say, with today's smash announcements and all, the roster's actually looking pretty solid. C'moooon Robin.

Friend: That Little Mac trailer was awesome. Robin's not happening. If it does, I'll eat my shoes.

(Insert typical why Robin will or will not be in Smash discussion)

July 14, 2014

Me: I recall a certain someone telling me he would eat his shoes if a certain someone got into smash. Send me a pic while you're at it.

Friend: I'm going eat this shoe and like it.

I'm still waiting for the pic to this day.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, can someone give he a summary of what the story is in FE: Fates Invisible Kingdom? I haven't read anything just in case I can across some major spoilers. Still trying hard to avoid them.

I think some of it has to do with the fact that it's another Link. Even if they are from different games, timelines, and stories they are all still considered Link. Other clones don't have that stigma. For example, Lucina is a clone of Marth, but she's a unique character personality wise. We don't need three Links running around. Not even Mario, the face of Nintendo, gets that kind of treatment. Three variations of a single character is just overkill, especially in a series with as many interesting and diverse characters as The Legend of Zelda. Why in Naga's name anyone wants that Pikachu rip-off trendsetter back is far beyond me.

I do see your points though it does still make me salty about how people are treating Young Link. He is a popular character, but for some reason not a popular choice for Smash. Also, I 100% agree with about the Pichu bit. Not trying to hate the little guy, but how do some people think that Pichu has a better chance than Young Link? I reckon at the most they have the same chance. A the most.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Hey guys, can someone give me a summary of what the story is in FE: Fates Invisible Kingdom? I haven't read anything just in case I can across some major spoilers. Still trying hard to avoid them.
I could vaguely explain it to you through a PM.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Ah, what?! I missed out on Scale Tipping day?! Dam ;-;

Still, happy Scale Tipping Tactician. May you always be Three Steps Ahead :D
:4robinm::4robinf:

Anyway, still seems that Young Link still unpopular to for DLC of in the RTC thread. Kind of makes me sad, though @XenoBrawler610, you did make an interesting point about Dr. Mario.

I could vaguely explain it to you through a PM.
That would be nice, thanks :)

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
So a few of us celebrated this day by doing Robin only FFA.

This was one of the matches.

If the updates hadn't wiped it out, I would have had a four-player all-Robin FFA from a few months ago to show here. Even though my Robin is sub-par by this forum's standards, it is still one of (if not the) best on the east side of the island. So far, I haven't found anyone on-island who can out-Robin me in a mirror match.

But Shulk is my true main now. And I'll hold off deciding whether to secondary Greninja or Robin until after I've got him down pat. I'm looking forward to seeing how I stack up against the east-side's Shulk champ once college starts up again next month. Maybe I can go get thrashed by Sheik, Peach, and Captain Falcon on the West side before then...

I wouldn't say I hate on Young Link, but I really wouldn't want him as a DLC character. It just wouldn't make sense, and Toon Link plays better in my experience. And he's got some of the most meme-able expressions. (I saw an amazing image of this concept once, but I can't find it now....) It's kinda the same thing for my hope: I voted for Sheena from Symphonia, but if anyone would get in from there, it'd be Lloyd...

AngelStar291

Smash Cadet
NNID
AngelStar291
Anyone up 4 some matches?

also whats the best option for Robin when trying to stop Ness's PK thunder?
I'll be up for it in a little bit...as for defeating PK Thunder...I mostly just either dodge roll or shield and dash attack to my opponent since Ness's PK Thunder can only go to a certain range...I don't know...I'm a defensive Robin player...I'm not a coward or a spammer though...I never run away from my opponents, but I do try to keep mid-range when fighting using Robin.

Last edited:

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
HYPEST DAY I'VE EVER BEEN FOR NEWCOMERS.

And because of Robin (and Waifu Lucy), i'm a FE fan. However......

MFW the game on lunatic difficulty cheats you out of winning, because of 1% critical hits.
Yesterday I saved over my Lunatic+ Classic File.

Arc_Thunder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ichuchu
Also on the subject of reveal trailers does anyone else hope for the character who wins the ballot they do another animated trailer instead of just showing gameplay like with the other DLC characters.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Also on the subject of reveal trailers does anyone else hope for the character who wins the ballot they do another animated trailer instead of just showing gameplay like with the other DLC characters.
Didn't they kinda sorta do that with Ryu?
In any case, yes. I hope that newcomers will get animated trailers, but I can see why they wouldn't as it would add more time and effort from the team.
I just dunno why when you buy a DLC character, they don't come with their trailer.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It's actually been a year since the Robin/Lucina reveal. Happy 1 year anniversary!

I miss reading through this forum during the ESRB leaks. It was a very interesting time.

Last edited:

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
Also, on the subject of a year since the reveal, I feel like this art (as someone who ships both of them together) is appropriate.

Congratulations on a year since being announced for smash, Robin and Lucina.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Have any of you guys seen the new FNAF trailer.

I didn't watch properly (just keeping the vid on pause and reading the words that popped up) but even i am shake just looking at it.

It's just..... NOPE!

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
Have any of you guys seen the new FNAF trailer.

I didn't watch properly (just keeping the vid on pause and reading the words that popped up) but even i am shake just looking at it.

It's just..... NOPE!
Are you talking about the Nightmare Springtrap one?

Oh yeah that reminds me. Act 3 of Five Nights at ****boy's 3 comes out in a couple of days.

im back from school hi gorls

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I do see your points though it does still make me salty about how people are treating Young Link. He is a popular character, but for some reason not a popular choice for Smash. Also, I 100% agree with about the Pichu bit. Not trying to hate the little guy, but how do some people think that Pichu has a better chance than Young Link? I reckon at the most they have the same chance. A the most.
It happens quite often in the Smash fandom, even to characters already in the game. Lucina and Charizard are good examples, as both are relatively popular in their home franchises, but are rather disliked in the Smash fandom (more specifically people who aren't fans of their original series). Both for being considered "low tier," and Lucina doubly so for being a moveset clone.

It's just the unfortunate side effect of bringing so many different fandoms together under one roof/series. I like to call it beautiful anarchy. You never know what's gonna happen next in the Smash fandom!

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Are you talking about the Nightmare Springtrap one?
There's a Nightmare Springtrap? *eye twitches*

It happens quite often in the Smash fandom, even to characters already in the game. Lucina and Charizard are good examples, as both are relatively popular in their home franchises, but are rather disliked in the Smash fandom (more specifically people who aren't fans of their original series). Both for being considered "low tier," and Lucina doubly so for being a moveset clone.

It's just the unfortunate side effect of bringing so many different fandoms together under one roof/series. I like to call it beautiful anarchy. You never know what's gonna happen next in the Smash fandom!
Yeah, seems really sad that this sort of thing happens. *sigh*

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
normal.jpg

I came across this comic on reddit, and I effin' loved it.

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.

Well on the positive side at least Lucina is her own character and not a duplicate or another version of an existing character. Even now I'm still baffled as to why Dr. Mario and Dark Pit even made the roster. I didn't care much for Doc in Melee and I personally think he should have been left there. As for Dark Pit... I'm just not gonna even.

I really don't understand Sakurai's logic for adding them as separate characters. They have a miniscule number of properties that are different to their originals, and I don't think they really warrant a spot in the roster.

Toon Link is bearable since he's better than regular Link. Same with Lucina because I like using her more than Marth, which I'm really sad about because I really liked Marth but he's not that nice to use anymore.

But yeah. Doc and Pittoo should have just been alternative palettes like they were originally planned.
There's a Nightmare Springtrap? *eye twitches*
Yeah. Well to be specific he's called Plushtrap, since he's a smaller plushie version of Springtrap, all cleaned up and everythaaaang.

HmmmT I guess he doesn't really qualify as a "Nightmare" animatronic but you never know, he could cause some nightmares. :p

On a side note I dare you to brighten that pic and tell me what you see.

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Breaking out of grabs due to getting grabbed when you use up the last of a tome/levin sword feels good.

It also feels good when you drop a book/sword and it falls on someone when they're trying to punish you so it messes with their attack.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Yeah. Well to be specific he's called Plushtrap, since he's a smaller plushie version of Springtrap, all cleaned up and everythaaaang.

HmmmT I guess he doesn't really qualify as a "Nightmare" animatronic but you never know, he could cause some nightmares. :p

On a side note I dare you to brighten that pic and tell me what you see.

Well, it says that 'terrible things come in small packages'

D

Deleted member

Someone play me next Monday or Tuesday (likely the next time I'll be off work).

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

</3

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Well on the positive side at least Lucina is her own character and not a duplicate or another version of an existing character. Even now I'm still baffled as to why Dr. Mario and Dark Pit even made the roster. I didn't care much for Doc in Melee and I personally think he should have been left there. As for Dark Pit... I'm just not gonna even.

I really don't understand Sakurai's logic for adding them as separate characters. They have a miniscule number of properties that are different to their originals, and I don't think they really warrant a spot in the roster.

Toon Link is bearable since he's better than regular Link. Same with Lucina because I like using her more than Marth, which I'm really sad about because I really liked Marth but he's not that nice to use anymore.

But yeah. Doc and Pittoo should have just been alternative palettes like they were originally planned.
One thing to keep in mind though is the fact that Doc and Dark (or any of the clones for that matter) aren't "stealing roster spots."
If they were palette swaps (or dropped entirely) then we wouldn't have other characters in their place, we would just have two less characters in Smash 4. This is because clones take a fraction of the amount of time to create as a completely new and unique characters. So if a certain character isn't included in Smash, it's most likely due to time and/or budget constraints rather than a clone character "stealing" their spot. The reason that Doc and Dark were more than likely added as separate characters was to help boost the roster a bit due to them not being able to add in any more unique characters at the time.

Plus, Doc and Dark do have some significance as individuals. Doc for representing the, well, Dr. Mario games, and Dark for being a unique character personality wise (whether or not you like that personality is your own business).

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I know you've been getting a lot of these... But here's my FFXIV character with my newest little buddy:

Thing is up there with the Carbies, wind-up Sylphs and the Coeurl Kittens in terms of knock your socks of cuteness...

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
I am a bit thankful Fates recognizes Lucina's differences from Marth and Ike if you know about their appearances as amiibo units. Lucina stays a Great Lord, she gets lances, she gets Aether, and the last skill she gets in her Fates Great Lord class is super cool and unique.

Of course, this makes me a bit annoyed Smash does not recognize these differences.

Last edited:
I might not play Robin or Lucina anymore, but they're both very special characters to me because they helped me get into Fire Emblem which is now one of my favorite series. I'll never forget the day they were both revealed because I was like...who? Why do I want to main these two if I don't even know them? And that made me buy Awakening the very next day.
Hey gorl, have you played any of the older games from the series? If not, I would HIGHLY recommend you do, though they might be hard to find and a bit pricey...
Fire Emblem is probably my second favourite video games series after the Tales series.
While I'm on this topic, here are my favourite things from FE. I'd love to hear everyone else's opinions!
LONG POST INCOMING
#1) Blazing Sword(GBA)(FE7)
#2) Path of Radiance(Gamecube)(FE9)/Awakening(3DS)(FE13)
#3) Radiant Dawn(Wii)(FE10)/Sacred Stones(GBA)(FE8)
#4) Shadow Dragon(DS)(FE11)

FE7: Matthew
Lyn

FE8: Ephraim
L'Arachel

FE9/10: Oliver(look at him, LOOK AT HIM! Nothing better has ever graced this planet!)

Ike
Nephenee
Ranulf

FE11: Marth
Shiida

FE13(1st Gen): Gaius
Lissa

FE13(2nd Gen): Owain
Lucina

FE7: Chap 26: Battle Before Dawn
FE8/11: Don't have one
FE9: Chapter 17: Day Breaks
FE10: Chapter 3-E: From Pain, Awakening
FE13: Endgame: Grima

FE9: Life Restored
FE10: Execution Scene
(The voice acting in the two above scenes makes me cringe)
FE13 : Emmeryn Death
THE FEELS, why do I do this to myself?

FE7/FE11: Together we Ride
FE8: Determination
FE9: Decisive Attack
FE10: Eternal Bond
FE13: Id(Purpose)

I might make a list for the more not talked about things i.e favourite classes, supports, critical hit/skill activation quotes (Awakening) and critical animations later

Last part of this post. For the guys getting Fates, which version are you planning on buying? If it gets released in the west (I really hope it does) I'm going to buy the Special Edition version. Hopefully, Fates will be released early 2016, otherwise I might cri

Last edited:

Benishigure

You need to MOVE.
One thing to keep in mind though is the fact that Doc and Dark (or any of the clones for that matter) aren't "stealing roster spots."
If they were palette swaps (or dropped entirely) then we wouldn't have other characters in their place, we would just have two less characters in Smash 4. This is because clones take a fraction of the amount of time to create as a completely new and unique characters. So if a certain character isn't included in Smash, it's most likely due to time and/or budget constraints rather than a clone character "stealing" their spot. The reason that Doc and Dark were more than likely added as separate characters was to help boost the roster a bit due to them not being able to add in any more unique characters at the time.

Plus, Doc and Dark do have some significance as individuals. Doc for representing the, well, Dr. Mario games, and Dark for being a unique character personality wise (whether or not you like that personality is your own business).
I'm aware that no character is actually "stealing a roster spot". My problem has more to do with the fact that there are actual multiples of the same character. Moveset clones/semi-clones are not an issue for me, because if they were, I'd also be complaining about Ganondorf, Roy, Lucas etc.

Like. There are people requesting Paper Mario and Young Link as DLC fighters. Even if they're only a few characters out of a 50+ roster, having three iterations of the same character is a bit too much, honestly. To each their own though, but that's just my thoughts.

Speaking of DLC fighters, you know who I wanna see? Impa. She's been a recurring character in the Zelda series (and Sheik is still a one-off!) and has played some sort of important role every time. I don't even care if she ends up being a moveset clone of Sheik, as long as she's in there, I will be happy.

When you think about it, even though Tink was introduced in Brawl as a replacement for Young Link, the fact that Tink is still a younger, more agile version of regular Link means that we technically haven't had a new (like new new) Zelda rep since Melee. And then you have Fire Emblem which now has the same amount of characters. Which is totally not a problem at all, god bless Fire Emblem. But I'd really like to see a new character from the Zelda series added to the roster.

I guess this is all just total bias on my part as a massive Zelda fan.

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210
Last part of this post. For the guys getting Fates, which version are you planning on buying? If it gets released in the west (I really hope it does) I'm going to buy the Special Edition version. Hopefully, Fates will be released early 2016, otherwise I might cri
Probably getting Nohr first :")
Speaking of.

This is great. Everyone needs to take a minute to appreciate this

TheWerdna

Smash Lord
If i can't get the Special Edition, I plan to get Nohr and play that first. Mainly because apparently Nohr has the better characters, but the Hoshido has the better story. So if I play Nohr first and get to know the characters, I will be more devastated when a bunch of them die in the Hoshido route.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Anyone's thoughts on Performa aka #Illusionary Fire Emblem aka Salt: the Game

image.jpg

Top Bottom