• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 are platform games where the enemies just stand around waiting to get Spin Attacked in the face, but they're heralded because the gameplay compensates for it.

Hyrule Warriors achieves that same objective just from a different perspective of accomplishing objectives one at a time.

Weeman

Smash Crusader

MORTALS
IT IS I, WEEMAN!
KNEEL BEFORE YOUR OVERLORD
OR SUFFER THE CONSEQUENCES.

Last edited:

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD BE ANOTHER PRANKED USER? BUT IT WAS ME, KOTOR!

RadiantTactician

Defender of the Outrealms
NNID
smashergal426
3DS FC
0946-3031-1836
Switch FC
SW-4594-4881-1993
@LIQUID12A and @ Arc_Thunder Arc_Thunder Happy Birthday! Hope you both had a great one! :sheep:

I haven't named any one of my FE amiibo yet (well, I did name Ike but i don't remember). I've considered naming Robin after his European name, but idk.

Also @Chapter Serf I AM READY FOR HEAVENSWARD. All of those scenes tho :cry:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
I mean, it's a Musou game. Repetitive is what you signed up for.

It's significantly LESS repetitive than main-series Musou, though.

I'll completely agree that the Musou series of games can be relatively repetitive, but saying that Zelda Musou is "significantly LESS repetitive" is a pretty untrue statement in my eyes. HW does have the giant bosses which do provide quite a nice gameplay mix up from the norm of enemy massacre. Honestly the giant bosses are probably one of HW greatest strengths. There's no real equivalent in any other Musou game, except maybe Strikeforce but that was a spin off and had radically different gameplay. Also the weakpoint gauges are pretty unique, but aside from Zant, the strategy for exploiting them is the same on every enemy. Avoid an attack, go to town on them, and repeat. The different items are certainly a great addition and a nice homage to classic Zelda. And while the maps do have a bit more exploration to them, Dynasty Warriors 2-5 and 7 also had hidden health increase and musou up items in every stage, the key difference being that they could be found by anyone, and they could be collected every time you replayed the stage (which was the only way to max out your characters stats in older games). 6, 8, all the Samurai Warriors, and all the Warriors Orochi games work off EXP leveling systems. Getting back on track, let's talk characters. HW has 19 playable characters including DLC, which is less than even Dynasty Warriors 2 (which is the first real Musou game, since DW1 was a fighting game). Although several characters do have multiple weapons, so there's that to consider. However Dynasty Warriors 8's roster brought the count all the way up to 82. So Dynasty Warriors has had more characters than Hyrule Warriors consistently since 2 (except maybe 6, or as I like to call it, Attack of the Clones, but nobody talks about 6 anymore, it was garbage). My point being that more characters means more options and therefore less repetition. On top of that in 8 each character has 3 musou/special attacks. 7 and 8 introduced the weapon switch system where you could equip your warrior with 2 weapons that could be switched on the fly, which blew open the door for combo possibilities. Now on to stages. Hyrule Warriors is pretty lacking in stage number. Sure Adventure mode provides HUNDREDS of hours worth of content, but you are still playing the same stages over and over. And while yes that IS the mark of any Musou/Warriors game, most other games have plenty more stages, so again less repetition. Oh and Adventure Mode was based on 7's Ambition mode, which had a bigger map and, again, more stages. Now on to the matter of Level 3/Ultimate/Final weapons. In HW acquiring them always has the same conditions, get 1200+ kills, take less than X amount of damage, and complete the stage in under 15 minutes. In Dynasty Warriors, each characters weapons will have varied requirements based on the stage. Oh and they don't even TELL YOU WHICH STAGE THEY ARE ACQUIRED IN! At least until 7 onwards mercifully gave us that info with a small hint. In any case though it was more challenging, but also more fun to actually have to figure out what the hell you were supposed to do to get that super powerful weapon! Even in 7 onwards the hints they give are pretty vague, and at least in one case are just wrong! (SMH for Lu Xun's final weapon in DW8)

Wow that's a lot of text. My main point in all of this is that saying Hyrule Warriors is your favorite Musou game is perfectly fine. But saying that it's absolutely better than every other Musou game out there is just wrong. Not trying to call you out or anything Raz, I'm just something of a Musou Master! Oh and did I mention that Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has 145 characters in total, and you get to play as teams of 3 characters that can be switched on the fly? Just saying.

So this whole post might look like I'm ragging on Hyrule Warriors, but that's not the case at all. It's an awesome addition to the Musou spin off franchise, and I can't wait for more info on All-Stars for 3DS at E3 this year!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually killed someone with a down throw+Up Air combo

I just gave Robin his own HOO HAA
:4diddy:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I'll completely agree that the Musou series of games can be relatively repetitive, but saying that Zelda Musou is "significantly LESS repetitive" is a pretty untrue statement in my eyes. HW does have the giant bosses which do provide quite a nice gameplay mix up from the norm of enemy massacre. Honestly the giant bosses are probably one of HW greatest strengths. There's no real equivalent in any other Musou game, except maybe Strikeforce but that was a spin off and had radically different gameplay. Also the weakpoint gauges are pretty unique, but aside from Zant, the strategy for exploiting them is the same on every enemy. Avoid an attack, go to town on them, and repeat. The different items are certainly a great addition and a nice homage to classic Zelda. And while the maps do have a bit more exploration to them, Dynasty Warriors 2-5 and 7 also had hidden health increase and musou up items in every stage, the key difference being that they could be found by anyone, and they could be collected every time you replayed the stage (which was the only way to max out your characters stats in older games). 6, 8, all the Samurai Warriors, and all the Warriors Orochi games work off EXP leveling systems. Getting back on track, let's talk characters. HW has 19 playable characters including DLC, which is less than even Dynasty Warriors 2 (which is the first real Musou game, since DW1 was a fighting game). Although several characters do have multiple weapons, so there's that to consider. However Dynasty Warriors 8's roster brought the count all the way up to 82. So Dynasty Warriors has had more characters than Hyrule Warriors consistently since 2 (except maybe 6, or as I like to call it, Attack of the Clones, but nobody talks about 6 anymore, it was garbage). My point being that more characters means more options and therefore less repetition. On top of that in 8 each character has 3 musou/special attacks. 7 and 8 introduced the weapon switch system where you could equip your warrior with 2 weapons that could be switched on the fly, which blew open the door for combo possibilities. Now on to stages. Hyrule Warriors is pretty lacking in stage number. Sure Adventure mode provides HUNDREDS of hours worth of content, but you are still playing the same stages over and over. And while yes that IS the mark of any Musou/Warriors game, most other games have plenty more stages, so again less repetition. Oh and Adventure Mode was based on 7's Ambition mode, which had a bigger map and, again, more stages. Now on to the matter of Level 3/Ultimate/Final weapons. In HW acquiring them always has the same conditions, get 1200+ kills, take less than X amount of damage, and complete the stage in under 15 minutes. In Dynasty Warriors, each characters weapons will have varied requirements based on the stage. Oh and they don't even TELL YOU WHICH STAGE THEY ARE ACQUIRED IN! At least until 7 onwards mercifully gave us that info with a small hint. In any case though it was more challenging, but also more fun to actually have to figure out what the hell you were supposed to do to get that super powerful weapon! Even in 7 onwards the hints they give are pretty vague, and at least in one case are just wrong! (SMH for Lu Xun's final weapon in DW8)

Wow that's a lot of text. My main point in all of this is that saying Hyrule Warriors is your favorite Musou game is perfectly fine. But saying that it's absolutely better than every other Musou game out there is just wrong. Not trying to call you out or anything Raz, I'm just something of a Musou Master! Oh and did I mention that Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has 145 characters in total, and you get to play as teams of 3 characters that can be switched on the fly? Just saying.

So this whole post might look like I'm ragging on Hyrule Warriors, but that's not the case at all. It's an awesome addition to the Musou spin off franchise, and I can't wait for more info on All-Stars for 3DS at E3 this year!
Too long didn't read. And in actuality yes it IS significantly less repetitive than most Musou games, and this is coming from a huge Musou fan. The only one that comes close is Warrior's Orochi 3 and that game is still quite repetitive. Quite.

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Too long didn't read. And in actuality yes it IS significantly less repetitive than most Musou games, and this is coming from a huge Musou fan. The only one that comes close is Warrior's Orochi 3 and that game is still quite repetitive. Quite.

But no, by all means, please ignore all the points and info I brought up. It's funnier that way.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, cause I still think that Hyrule Warriors is on par with other Musou/Warriors games in terms of repetitiveness. Which is to say that I've never really found the Musou games to be as repetitive as some people say, but then again that's just my opinion. I just never seem to get bored with them.

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
So, I graduated from high school today, and finally got to read a letter I wrote to myself from middle school. Apparently, younger me was very weird and a massive troll...

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
hey guys imma go finish my run of fe11 h4 and i wanted to know if you guys would care to listen to what happens in my future h3 run

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I've reclassed Henry as an assassin. Because the only thing better than killing people is
getting paid to kill people. :denzel:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

But no, by all means, please ignore all the points and info I brought up. It's funnier that way.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, cause I still think that Hyrule Warriors is on par with other Musou/Warriors games in terms of repetitiveness. Which is to say that I've never really found the Musou games to be as repetitive as some people say, but then again that's just my opinion. I just never seem to get bored with them.
That was a joke, actually. I did read it. Sorry for not pointing it out though.

You do have some great points. The problem is when you mentioned characters and weapons you failed to mention that in Hyrule Warrior's each weapon changed the character drastically. Entirely, almost. As well as one on one encounters on most Dynasty Warrior's games is fight a bunch of little guys with one big guy in the middle. It's not like that in HW. 1v1 encounters are more intimate more, well, 1v1. I also understand when you say more characters means less repetition. You're right! To a point. The point where you realize where allot of each characters movesets have the same basic functions, same basic feel. HW each one, again, feels drastically different. Throwing different weapons in makes it even more distinct.

It really is personal opinion in all but despite having the same stages and same bosses and what have you. Each battle feels different each time you enter. You don't get that, at least in my opinion, in any other warriors game. Again personal opinion.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
That was a joke, actually. I did read it. Sorry for not pointing it out though.

You do have some great points. The problem is when you mentioned characters and weapons you failed to mention that in Hyrule Warrior's each weapon changed the character drastically. Entirely, almost. As well as one on one encounters on most Dynasty Warrior's games is fight a bunch of little guys with one big guy in the middle. It's not like that in HW. 1v1 encounters are more intimate more, well, 1v1. I also understand when you say more characters means less repetition. You're right! To a point. The point where you realize where allot of each characters movesets have the same basic functions, same basic feel. HW each one, again, feels drastically different. Throwing different weapons in makes it even more distinct.

It really is personal opinion in all but despite having the same stages and same bosses and what have you. Each battle feels different each time you enter. You don't get that, at least in my opinion, in any other warriors game. Again personal opinion.
Well that makes me feel better. I was a bit :shaker: since I did put a bit of time and effort into that post.

On the subject of extra weapons I did mention it VERY briefly here
Although several characters do have multiple weapons, so there's that to consider.
but I yes the alternate weapons do provide a lot of variety, although I do wish they were a bit more evenly spread amongst the characters (Link is something of an exception to this being the main character and all).

On the subject of 1v1, Hyrule Warriors does have more of them due to the various special missions (like the quizzes) and the giant bosses, but I feel that in most normal missions the enemy generals usually have plenty of goons around them. I think the lock-on feature is the key element that helps fights with generals seem more mano e mano.

Last but not least the similar movesets in Dynasty Warriors. I can agree with this, to an extent. All of the characters do work off of a similar 6 Charge attacks structure, but how each characters variation of each attack FUNCTIONS can be very varied. It's like how in Smash each character has a F-Smash, but the power, speed, and range can vary greatly. So for example in Dynasty Warriors C4 is usually a good crowd clearing move, but each characters is unique. Then there's 7 which added the EX attacks, and 8 which added a 2nd EX attack for each character. These do add a fair amount of diversity as they are incredibly unique for each character. Take Xiahou Dun and Zhao Yun's EX 1 attacks. Both activate after the C3 combo, but while Dun's creates a ring of fire that blasts enemies away, Yun's knocks a single enemy into the air allowing for aerial combos. Although I will say that Dynasty probably does have the most "copy-paste" moveset template of the Warriors games. Hyrule Warriors takes more of a page from Samurai Warriors moveset style, which has three (now 4 as of, well 4) different moveset templates to work with, as opposed to one.

So yeah. At the end of the day most of this just boils down to personal preferences and opinions. We all have different tastes when it comes to gaming, and that's how it should be. Otherwise we'd all just be playing the same game the same way, and that sounds unbelievably boring! That's what's so great about gaming in my opinion.

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
APPARENTLY THERE WAS AN UPDATE IN JAPAN AND ROY AND RYU'S VICTORY SCENES WERE LEAKED! Spoiler'd for great justice.

Given that Capcom now has 2 3rd party reps I have to wonder, why the hell haven't they just made Nintendo VS. Capcom yet? Anyway, Roy and Ryu's inclusion is pretty cool (still would of preferred a new FE character, but whatevs).

EDIT: Speaking of leaks, HOLY ****, we might be getting a Platinum-made Transformers game!

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Huh, I like Roy's design a lot more than I thought I would. Now here's to hoping he's not a 90% Marth clone.

Also lol Falco turning into a turkey.

So yeah. Assuming those aren't the most elaborate fakes ever, that's pretty nifty to see.
Not my most wanted characters by a long shot, but I'll get Ryu either way and only skip out on Roy when he really is just a third Marth.

Though I kinda do wish they aren't the only characters revealed tomorrow. We knew about their possibility for quite a while now and while it is unlikely we are getting more than 2 newcomers announced at once, it'd be neat to have something new to get hyped up for.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Huh, I like Roy's design a lot more than I thought I would. Now here's to hoping he's not a 90% Marth clone.

Also lol Falco turning into a turkey.

So yeah. Assuming those aren't the most elaborate fakes ever, that's pretty nifty to see.
Not my most wanted characters by a long shot, but I'll get Ryu either way and only skip out on Roy when he really is just a third Marth.

Though I kinda do wish they aren't the only characters revealed tomorrow. We knew about their possibility for quite a while now and while it is unlikely we are getting more than 2 newcomers announced at once, it'd be neat to have something new to get hyped up for.
I like Roy's design. It feels like they mashed both his original and Awakening designs together to me for some reason. That or they just gave him an updated appearance. His animations also look pretty cool too, so even if he's at least a semi-clone of Marth, at least his moves look somewhat different.

And Ryu looks fantastic. The paused part appears to be on a stage that we have yet to see in Sm4sh, so maybe that's a new stage based on Street Fighter?

EDIT: OH BOY WAS I ****ING RIGHT:

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
I like Roy's design. It feels like they mashed both his original and Awakening designs together to me for some reason. That or they just gave him an updated appearance. His animations also look pretty cool too, so even if he's at least a semi-clone of Marth, at least his moves look somewhat different.

And Ryu looks fantastic. The paused part appears to be on a stage that we have yet to see in Sm4sh, so maybe that's a new stage based on Street Fighter?

EDIT: OH BOY WAS I ****ING RIGHT:

Yeah, just wanted to mention that it looked a lot like Ryu's stage from Street Fighter before you edited your post. Nice to see we're getting new stages, too!

EDIT: But most importantly, this could mean...

Last edited:

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
I am surprised at how not awful they made his Awakening re-design look.

*Just as the trailer ends Snake appears while holding Roy and Ryu in a chokehold* "Kept you waiting, huh?"

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Man, I was really hoping there would be no leaks so I can at least act surprise. But what was the first thing I saw on siliconera today? The leak.

With Ryu, I like how they incorporated Street Fighter mechanics like focus attacks and I hope they include other things like gatlings to make him feel like a traditional 2D fighter.

Marth, Lucina, and Roy huh? Hopefully Roy's the Luigi of the trio if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Man I didn't want Roy back and he's my low tier melee main and PM main. Now that he's coming back I kinda feel forced to play him lol.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
Man I didn't want Roy back and he's my low tier melee main and PM main. Now that he's coming back I kinda feel forced to play him lol.
I also feel kinda forced to play Roy, haha. Inb4 he's more melee Marth than Marth.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Inb4 he's more melee Marth than Marth.
The video shows him with the Melee neutral B (the move where he roasts Falco), so probably. At least it's one difference from current Marth (Marth has changed more since Melee, so even if Roy is just a copy from Melee, he'd be at least a little different from current Marth).

I'll probably try him out at least, but I doubt he'll replace Marth, unless he is completely Melee Marth with added ph1r3

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
That reminds me, maybe Nintendo should do a Sword of Seals remake and buff Roy there(like better growth rates) so people won't be turned off by him being a bad unit. He might become more popular that way.

Last edited:

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I also feel kinda forced to play Roy, haha. Inb4 he's more melee Marth than Marth.
If he has a ken combo and it's true combo that would be sweet. Stuff I posted on my local scenes smash 4 FB group. I'm not happy but he's in but I hope he's cheap.

just have his sourspout moves with some actual hitstun, his Dair not god awful to sweetspot, his bair, f tilt and down smash not ass and Down tilt popping nerds in the air i will be sane.

Also now they have to do another character chant recording for this Roy as well cause Roy koopa uses Roy's melee one :(

That reminds me, maybe Nintendo should do a Sword of Seals remake and buff Roy there(like better growth rates) so people won't be turned off by him being a bad unit. He might become more popular that way.
That would be nice very nice or just translate it and bring it over to the NA e shop and capitalize on it and sell FE7 with a sale price.

Top Bottom