• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilting with the Gamecube Controller

Powerblade

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one who has trouble with this? I am an excellent aerial fighter and I love characters with fast smashes that I can abuse. However, ground fighting is hard for me, especially toward faster characters. The problem? Tilt-A attacks.

They are the bane of my existence. Whenever I try to use one, I instinctively use a smash or jump and end up getting punished. Up-A is the hardest for me. Back in the melee days, I didn't know Up-A existed. I just saw these odd moves that characters were using, and I could not figure out how to do them. I always jumped when pressing up, I press up all the way. It's very hard to only push up half-way and then do a well-timed attack. It almost always ends in a jump.

Sometimes when trying to do a Tilt-A on my friend, I hesitate. I am that bad on it!

Any tips would be appreciated. I know I have to practice. What is the best method?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I remember having trouble with this years ago. When you learn it, you will laugh at making this thread :)

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
The best method of practice is simply using the tilts a lot, you could pick a character who has great tilts just to force you to learn them. Snake comes to mind, but there are surely more.

Furthermore, can't you just turn tap jump off and utilt becomes easy? I can do utilt regardless of whether its on or off but when I was learning tilts I had it off because it was easier that way and meant that I could attempt an utilt without ****ing my game up.

TreK

Is "that guy"
As a stickjumper (I'm left handed), I can't tell you how funny I find that you consider up tilting to be the hardest. But don't worry, everybody's been there.
Just press the direction you want to tilt in during your previous move. If you aren't doing any move, tilt the stick as slowly as if you wanted to tilt your shield.
The up tilt is actually the easiest, because you should be holding up at all time just in case you get hit by an unpredicted move. A team member of mine actually learned to dash with the up diagonals haha

Jonas

Smash Champion
I remember having trouble with this years ago. When you learn it, you will laugh at making this thread :)
Yeah, there's nothing we can really say to make it easier for you, but we do have words of encouragement. I think almost everybody had trouble with it at some point.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Downtilt without crouching doesn't matter, dtilt cancels the crouch animation anyways. Don't worry about that.
it matters for buffering. crouching will override the dtilt if you hold the stick 1 frame too long after pressing attack

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Another option: If you're comfortable smash attacking w/out the c-stick, you can map your controller's c-stick to "Attack" as opposed to the default, "Smash". This will allow you to use tilt attacks with it.

Just another something to try.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
brake in your analog stick so its not as stiff (lool)
but ya srs
it becomes easier by a lot
and with tap jump off Up B OoS becomes harder so keep that in mind

Top Bottom