• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt utilization + more--Week 3: Utilt

ADHD

Smash Hero
It doesn't matter whether escapable or not, diddy rarely gets a dtilt in. Anyway thien, if they are catching on, why don't you just dtilt > fsmash. It will punish the spotdodge.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
The argument has nothing to do whether or not it's safe; just whether or not it is guaranteed. If get away from the freeform environment of training mode and throw in critical external factors like move decay and even minimal opponent DI in the mix, D-tilt > D-tilt suddenly becomes escapable. The assumption that "nobody is going to be able to DI out of a single hit attack" is incredibly difficult for me to take seriously.
Its just that I played some of the best players in NJ and they didn't DI out of a single Dtilt so I hope you understand why I'm so skeptical. Btw, move decay makes more combos available than when in training mode, Wolf's stale Bair can combo 7 times in real life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBZI8_EBRw&feature=channel_page @ 2:25).

ADHD

Smash Hero
Its just that I played some of the best players in NJ and they didn't DI out of a single Dtilt so I hope you understand why I'm so skeptical. Btw, move decay makes more combos available than when in training mode, Wolf's stale Bair can combo 7 times in real life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WBZI8_EBRw&feature=channel_page @ 2:25).
Dude, there are only like two diddy players in NJ rofl. Of course they wouldn't smash DI them, they would have no idea it would be possible.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
i think Chrome means that they wouldnt know to di the d-tilt because they never play diddys
They have played NinjaLink's Diddy numerous times, although I don't know how frequently he uses Dtilt. The top players in NJ travel along the East Coast to play competitively so they aren't isolated to just NJ...They travel to PA, VA, MD, NY, CT just to name a few states...I'm sure there are more than just 2 Diddy's they play against. Also, people play much more than their main to improve their matchups. Teh Spammerer beat M2K in friendlies with Diddy and he mains MK so just because there are only 2 Diddy mains doesn't mean they don't get their Diddy practice somewhere else.

Esca

Smash Champion
Thien, every Diddy Kong has a completely different style, so if a combo hits 100% of the time for me, maybe it's because you don't do it, and vice versa.

Player-3

Smash Hero
dont use tilts agaisnt ICs...
just use dash attack, fsmash/dmsmash and bannanas...
seriously..

Player-1 did it at the last tournament we went to..
i almost cried for the IC player it was so horribad

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
One of the interesting factors I find with using the D-tilt is if the opponent rolls too much where they become predictable or roll towards you. You can score at least 2-3 down tilts depending on the DI. But the D-tilt is a pop up move so you can actually follow that move up with a Fair at a higher percentage. It worked for me a few times against the heavier characters but doesnt work to effective against lighter characters though.

On a lighter note, the next OK tourney you have, you can add us from beaumont, i'm 18 now, so i can go anywhere. Just give me a couple of months.

Chompy knows what its about.
Whats what about?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
nanerz too good xD. hopefully that ic adapted otherwise :psycho::laugh:
Yeah, he's really good, but don't think what is shown online is what really happened in real life. That IC beat Nanerz the next match...Its just that the person recording the matches gave the footage to the players he knew and they decided whether it went up so theres a lot of selection bias in youtube footage.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Thien, every Diddy Kong has a completely different style, so if a combo hits 100% of the time for me, maybe it's because you don't do it, and vice versa.
LOL? For serious?

Also, your logic is defies reason: "If it works here in Beaumont, it must work everywhere else!"

I heard a rumor that Diddy's F-smash could be smash-DIed, but there's no video of it, so I doubt it's escapable.

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Also, your logic is defies reason: "If it works here in Beaumont, it must work everywhere else!"

I heard a rumor that Diddy's F-smash could be smash-DIed, but there's no video of it, so I doubt it's escapable.
Actually I think that logic is pretty sound: If it works on the best players in the world, and since the best players have the best capability of getting out of it, then it would work on everyone. Also, I think he meant that I do the series of moves either with different timing, or at a dfferent percentage and therefore your not doing it correctly in order for it to combo...because I seriously doubt there is anything an opponent can do about Dtilt->Dtilt.

xoxokev

Smash Lord
^???

On topic: Something obvious, but in case you didn't already know... ftilt has a sweet spot, at Diddy's fists, which sends the opponent away with more knock back... I think... someone please confirm

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
^???

On topic: Something obvious, but in case you didn't already know... ftilt has a sweet spot, at Diddy's fists, which sends the opponent away with more knock back... I think... someone please confirm
This is true. Diddy's F-tilt causes the most damage and knock-back at the end of his fists. Fresh, sweet-spotted F-tilts cause 11% with significantly more knock-back; point blank F-tilts or any distance that puts you inside of Diddy's fist range inflicts only 9%. Depending on your enemy's percentage, the cool-down on the F-tilt may also leave you open for punishment. If you are using F-tilt to shield-pressure, make sure you sweet-spot it so that it actually pushes your opponents back, otherwise you will be eating shield-grabs or a variety of attacks all day long.

Another note: the trajectory of your opponent is actually somewhat parallel with whichever angled F-tilt you decide to use at low-to-mid-percents. This is most observable if you edge-guard opponents recovering from underneath stage level with downward-angled F-tilts. They will be knocked back at a low, horizontal trajectory, thus making your opponent's recovery efforts much more difficult. This can score you with a surprising number of gimps, although you great deal of spacing awareness and prediction are required in order to successfully pull this off.

I have had the highest success ratio with this tactic on Yoshi's Island due to the decline slant at both ends of the stage. The boost in area effect you receive from doing downward-angled F-tilts on a slant is a little on the ridiculous side.

In order to most reliably execute this, crawl towards the edge of any stage. Since you're already moving forward in a crawl, you should already have the appropriate angled directional input for your F-tilt, and all that is left for you to do is hit the attack button. Crawling as keeps you from accidentally walking off the stage.

ADHD

Smash Hero
LOL? For serious?

It can be smash DI'd. You hold left or right, its hard tho. Depending on your position caught in it you sometimes are not able to escape it.

Esca

Smash Champion
THieN, I'm saying... that if your OK guys come down here and play me, they may make the same decisions that they would with you. An adaption to your play-style would mess them up in a match against me, considering that I play completely different.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
So whats week #3 going to be Utilt? I feel like I need to work on U-tilt. Any ideas on how to abuse it other than the dash attack and then a few U-tilt?

DFEAR

Smash Hero
uptilt> any air combo. nuff said

my fav is uptilt>sh nair> full hop dair :3 works sometimes depending on di otherwise uptilt>fair ftw lol

dash attack>dtilt>uptilt>uptilt> (with their bad di and good pressure)dair>dsmash :p

DFEAR

Smash Hero
dash attack>boosted pivot grab release > dtilt > (depending on di & %) up tilt :3

bludhoundz

Smash Ace
Utilt kills MK at like 125% with bad DI (so probably like 140 with good DI, haven't tested it though)

It hits through the platforms on BF :)

Top Bottom