• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tilt Locks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I have no idea if I'm measuring this right, but here's what I can tell.

If any of this is wrong, tell me and I'll fix it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F82clXzuxTo

Guaranteed Lock
:bowser2: Bowser // 0%
:yoshi2: Yoshi // 0%
:wario: Wario // 30%
:link2: Link // 30%
:shiek: Sheik // 30%
:ganondorf: Ganondorf // 30%
:metaknight: Meta Knight // 30%
:dedede: King Dedede // 15%
:fox: Fox // 30%
:falco: Falco // 30%
:wolf: Wolf // 30%
:falcon: Captain Falcon // 20%
:pikachu2: Pikachu // 20%
:squirtle: Squirtle // 20%
:ivysaur: Ivysaur // 10%
:charizard: Charizard // 20%
:ike: Ike // 30%
:ness2: Ness // 10%
:lucas: Lucas // 20%
:gw: Mr. Game & Watch // 20%
:snake: Snake // 20%

Limited Lock
:zelda: Zelda // 0%
:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus // 20%
:kirby2: Kirby // 15%
:olimar: Olimar // 15%
:lucario: Lucario // 20%
:pit: Pit // 20%
:marth: Marth // 20%

Two Hits
:mario2: Mario // 20%
:luigi2: Luigi // 40%
:peach: Peach // 40%
:dk2: Donkey Kong // 60%
:diddy: Diddy Kong // 40%
:toonlink: Toon Link // 20%
:samus2: Samus // 20%
:rob: R.O.B. // 15%
:sonic: Sonic // 30%

No Combo
:popo: Ice Climbers
:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Anokoku, let me just say I love the fact that your making a whole bunch of really useful threads but are you sure about Kirby being unable to escape the tilt lock?

To my understanding characters that have a high falling speed such as Fox is the reason why we can put them into a lock while characters such as Jigglypuff who fall at incredible slow speeds we cannot. Now according to Mr. Silver data, Kirby has the fourth slowest falling speed in the game while Browser is the eighth fastest so I would imagine that he would be the one whom would need a much higher percent to start a chain lock with then Kirby which if your data is correct needs to be around 15%.

I’m sorry for putting your testing under question but this just seems too fishy.

…By the way you forgot Olimar

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Whoops.

I moved Kirby down to limited lock, I know I've hit him with at least 4 tilts before, so I dunno.

Also, I have nobody else to test with, so my data may be totally inaccurate. Eh.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
i don't think i can tilt as fast as the sheik in the video is..
is it ok if i just tilt the joystick and mash A as fast as i can? because that works, but before i knew i could spam it like that i think i pressed both buttons each time and got faster speeds..

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Huh? The video looks vague. Was Fox knocked on the ground?

Is this DI inescapable?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's a true lock until about 70%, which might be higher due to attack decay. The best DI out of it late in the lock is up, DIing away will get you locked forever like that Fox did.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Ankoku, when you came up with this percents, where you doing it on an opponent that was DIing behind Sheik?

Back when I played with CunningKistune, he was always DI behind me and get out pretty early.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Hey Ankoku, I haven't tested this yet really but since most of the time it's pretty obvious when someone is about to break free from a lock when DI toward you then couldn't you just change directions once they broke free and continue the tilt lock in the other direction?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Early tilts can be DI'd toward. Better hope the Sheik doesn't turn around and tilt you the other way.

All ftilts can be DI'd up. Jump out as soon as you can, though, or you'll get utilt'd or usmash'd.

DIing ftilt away will trap you until you stop it.

TheFast

Smash Lord
you cant really tilt lock yoshi all the time if they get lucky with the timing of there jumps, ive had a yoshi super armor out of it but the timing is so vague that it is omost purly luck based its kinda like how in your video fox started his up b well if a yoshi does that with his second jump he just flys away but if he gets the timing wrong no more jumps for yoshi 8D

ADHD

Smash Hero
How come when some characters DI differently it captures them in the tilt lock, and when some other characters DI the same way they get out of it?

TheFast

Smash Lord
How come when some characters DI differently it captures them in the tilt lock, and when some other characters DI the same way they get out of it?
because each character has its own falling and di speed

for instance falco falls really fast and wario dis really fast, each character has a bit of uniqueness in this sense thus adding to the playing still of different characters

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
Hrm... good reference page ankoku, you are a godsend to the sheik boards. And this... just sorta makes me dislike playing IC even more xD thanks a lot. Maybe later when you have people to test with, or maybe i or someone else will test this, is what percent the opponent can most easily escape

SheikahBlood

Smash Cadet
LOL ! thats me in the vid up there :p (im such an *** with those Ftilt locks), well if you didn't notice i Baired him so i could hit with the foot that raises fox into the lock, i'm not that good at explaining how i get the locks on people but i normally only do it on foxes because they have a harder time getting out of it.

P.S. Just turn around if they try to DI out of it or up smash them before they get out. :psycho:

ADHD

Smash Hero
Ice climbers are pretty fun, its an aerial fest! just watch out for the popo down throw chain

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Ice climbers are pretty fun, its an aerial fest! just watch out for the popo down throw chain
How the **** can you say Ice climbers are "pretty fun"

The match is so greatly in their favor I can't imagine it being fun for anyone who isn't a masochist

I mean challenges can be fun as they push you to your limit which will only make you better but stating fighting the Ice climbers is fun is just unseen if you’re a Sheik main.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's seriously not that bad. Play aerial-heavy. Kill Nana. Use Zelda.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Hey Ankoku,

I'm pretty ****ed sure DeDede can be tilt locked well past 15%...

...I was playing Jinx yesterday as DeDeDe for several matches with Sheik. The kid knows his DI far better then I do, and he wasn't able to escape from the FTilts at all. I'd say i was able to get 4 solid hits in, grab ...then next time around, get another 2 in before I had to start using aerials out of the tilts.

I'm not sure on the exact number, but it's above 15%, I can tell you that.

He saved a match yesterday when I was wrecking him in the first like 30 seconds of a match, but then I fell through the stage because the game hates me and just wont allow me to beat him...It was pretty gay. When that's up, we can have more accurate number for you.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Oh good someone revived this thread.

So I'm working currently on consecutive hits percentages for tipper ftilt into Nair.

..But my research doesn't match up to what I think is inescapable in the lower percents. They look like true combos but don’t show as consecutive.

Should I just take the game word and say that below X percentage it is escapable even though it connects on the level 9 computers constantly?

Here my results so far by the way.

Mario 42% to 79%
DK 49% to 88%
Link 48% to 82%
Samus The problem child, she almost made me stop my research. 42% to 84%
Zamus 37% to 72%
Kirby 35% to 72%
Fox 35% to 72%
Pikachu 36% to 72%

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Can you smash DI up out of the tilts? evenif you combo metter is going up you can get out after a few hits with most characters.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
You mean single Ftilt -> Nair?

*ponder* Could be useful at the higher %s.
Well you can put Fox into a tilt lock at 30%

He will most likely break free around 70%

Then if you hit him with a tipper ftilt it will unavoidable lead into a strong nair which will bring him near 100%

Which is Zelda time.

2 combos: 70 damage.

Squidster

Smash Ace
ooOOo i've never even tried using Nair out of Ftilt. Smecksy. I tend to use Dsmash if they're low, Utilt if they are high. This might be better than Utilt though.

Edit - tested vs lvl 9 fox... lul... sheik vs fox is so unfair.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Really?

I've been doing ftilt into nair and bair quite some time now. Never uair...don't know why.

It's really useful if your at the right percentage which is why I'm doing this so I will know those percentages and since I'm breaking my back doing this I might as well share my findings...

I'm up to diddy kong now by the way so expect to see a thread by me in like ...3 hours. @.@

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
I generally end Tilt combos with Uptilt. It's very useful to tack an extra 13% on, and at low percentages puts them in a position to be chased with aerials or even another tilt combo.

imdavid

Smash Journeyman
haha yeah, but wildfire were talking about high percents when the ftilt pops them up too high to do anything else, so try using an ftilt ->bair/nair like tristan said :]

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I ftilt -> utilt or ftilt -> nair. at higher percents you can ftilt->uair

multiple ftilts fail verus smashDI.

In doubles ftilt to dtilt is amazing for set ups if you have a partner you sync well with. shiek is good for setting up for finishers and crap with her tilts.

Squidster

Smash Ace
No smash DI does not get you out of Ftilt lock. Check out ank's thread on Ftilt lock for details but even with perfect DI towards sheik or straight up, you will be hit by quite a few depending on who you are.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can smash DI any attack that gives hit stun. It may be difficult to time jumps for some characters, but smash DI up and jump will let most characters out in my experiences. With SmashDI plus the natural upwards knockback of the move you can get out in a small handful of tilts.

Squidster

Smash Ace
The move doesn't come out fast enough for smash DI to let you escape no matter what.

Someone like fox gets hit, Smash DI's up, and falls back down during hitstun. He can try to escape by going towards sheik and jumping the other end... he can try to go up but it wont work till knockback is increased.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you SDI the first hit away, you'll be out of range for the second hit.

Of course, ftilt has like... minimal hitlag, so it's pretty difficult to SDI on reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom