• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

Moocow007

Smash Ace
WHOA!!! new discovery?

jigglypuffs down B sends ppl really far if you do it properly!

i'm gonna move jiggly up above kirby now
nice try, but we don't appreciate blatant lies in this thread. can we get a moderator in here to clean up this junk post?

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
well the thing I don't understand is the fact that people think link is worst or something?

I try running my list by combo and movement ability

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
link suks, I mean why the heck did you bring a sword and all your gear ? O.o that's so cheap... HE POPS A ****IN BOMB OUT OF HIS *** EVERY 2 SECONDS!
SERIOUSLY LINK LEAVE YOUR JUNK AT HOME LIKE EVERYONE ELSE DID!
not only that, but he doesn't bring just any sword, he bring the ****in mastersword. CMON! I'd ban that cheap *** out of the game if I could.
geez, You don't see fox with his spear...

Samus is sexy and the only girl in the game. She should be top tier >.> because her up b is rated Rapage (looks at how electrified the characters are when they get caught in it).

highdankstar

Smash Rookie
First thing isn't Jigglypuff a girl too? I don't know much about pokemon but the bow kinda makes me assume so.

Anyway, more of an amatuer/play-for-fun-competitively viewpoint on tiers

Kirby
Pikachu

Kirby is straight **** for all the reasons above
Pikachu has got to have the best range/size ratio on his grab. So easy to edgeguard. Also I think the amount he floats in jumps makes him really effective in making attacks on the opponent.

Middle
Fox - Fast, good grab, great combo, but his third jump is soooo easy to destroy
Ness - Many people put him in the top but maybe I just haven't played against someone with a sick ness.
Falcon - Powerful and fast but just doesn't have the full weapons to make it to the top
Mario - Powerful and fun but seems to get destroyed generally by the top tiers
Jigglypuff - Generally kinda weak but when used effectively can be very competitive
DK - Stop grabbing me from across the staqe!!!
Link - Well I think he can compete so I don't put him in the bottom, but if they're was a Bottom-Middle category thats where he'd fall. If you z-cancel well enough you can do ok.

Bottom
Luigi - Couldn't they have put something diff then an green awful mario? I mean stick Roger Rabbit in there and his ears could take out Luigi.
Samus - Doesn't really have much goin for her except the Up-B and decent recovery.

Well I figured I'd add a perspective from someone who really just plays with friends but takes that somewhat seriously. Smash gets pretty heated at our crib and usually ends with one of the roomates screaming obscenities at their teammate or about how cheap Pikachu's (my guy) edgeguarding is.

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
Hehe, critique on mm04's list...

yoshi. wtf are you doing down there, get back up to mid where you belong.ahem. Well, Yoshi's pretty ***** good. Waay better than say...shamus. Scamus. Shouldenthavebeenputinthegame-us. Well, Jiggs could be higher than mario and ness def needs placement changes.

Not dissing you at all. Just my opinions. At least its not as effed up as some others...

Hehe its kinda hard rly, the game is really "over"balanced. So placing one character above another is based on how I've seen em played.

rokimomi

Smash Lord
No worries, I guess I do em on my opinionated guesses on if the character were to land a combo, would they go to death. That first of all places them and then its technicalities (priorities and stuff)

Zack353

Smash Ace

Fox
Pika
Kirby

Mid

Falcon
Ness
Yoshi
Luigi
DK
Jigglypuff

Low

Samus
Link

Purely based on combo potential/ability, approach, and recovery ability.

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Hey I think we should make a better way of tiering the characters. Hows this for an idea

Rate each character individually in relation to the map being played and the opponent character. This way we can understand more about how the map effects fighting style and make tiers more practical.

I don't have the time or all the knowledge to make this massive thesis paper but maybe we can all contribute something and make a sticky. I think, also, when we give our opinions we should take account into our perspective that all these characters are z-cancellers, shorthops, etc, just advanced. Anyway just some thoughts and how we can make this better.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
-High-
Kirby-his odd combos really work! He actually a lot better in SSB 64 than Melee by a ton!
Capt. Falcon-once you master the timings and opponent movement, it all comes together!
Fox-Should use him more, but he really good. Great weight, speed, and splits far above average in almost, if not every catergory. I need to use him more.
-Med-
Samus-I do the oddest moves with her. I tend to do odd air, then land moves that make almost no sense unless you see it or know what I am talking about.
Donkey Kong-Who doesn't love the strongest & suicidal character? DK got crazy hard hits!
Ness-PK fire! PK Thunder! They sound REEEAAALLLY annoying when he says it, but his moves are surprisingly good. Plus a kid who carries a bat too beat plummers, bounty hunters, giant apes, puffballs, etc! Poor little kid! I would show him slck, but he is a great fighter!
Mario-All around, plus has a good solid jump! Don't mess with this crazy plummer!
Link: Thank god he is better in Melee (my fav Melee character)! He not that good!
Lows-
Pickachu:Not nearly as strong as it needs to be! His B down and B up are great!
Luigi: Just a faster, lighter Mario, with a killer B up if done right. Thank god he is better in Melee.
Jigglypuff: Needs heavier attacks, that involve speed, which it is lacking in SSB 64!

greenblob

Smash Lord
Lows-
Jigglypuff: Needs heavier attacks, that involve speed, which it is lacking in SSB 64!
Let's see...
Heavier attacks that involve speed: usmash, back throw, REST, nair, fsmash
Compare that to say...Kirby? fsmash, dair, nair, bair

The Melee chart is basically a huge chart of counters. Basically, it tries to estimate the number of wins a character will get against another character in a given set of 9 (so 5 wins) at metagame level. I think this would actually be a good idea. Generally, if you look on the chart, the higher-ranked characters have more wins and the lower-ranked characters have fewer wins. But then Jigglypuff might become a problem--she does well against Pika, Falcon, and Fox (I think) but fails at fighting Samus and Link.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
so jiggly is EVIL and should be banned from the tier list.

maybe we should put her somwhere in the middle. (yeah i think jiggz is a chick k?) cause she does well against the higher tier chars but fails vs others. =/

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Let's see...
Heavier attacks that involve speed: usmash, back throw, REST, nair, fsmash
Compare that to say...Kirby? fsmash, dair, nair, bair

The Melee chart is basically a huge chart of counters. Basically, it tries to estimate the number of wins a character will get against another character in a given set of 9 (so 5 wins) at metagame level. I think this would actually be a good idea. Generally, if you look on the chart, the higher-ranked characters have more wins and the lower-ranked characters have fewer wins. But then Jigglypuff might become a problem--she does well against Pika, Falcon, and Fox (I think) but fails at fighting Samus and Link.
This is what I'm looking for. We should make a 64 chart. I like the jiggz example btw. Maybe we don't have to do the Map thing but character vs another character would be perfect. Also, maybe we can add in some exaplantion too because I don't know why Jiggz is good against pika, falcon and fox but fails with samus and link.

Top Bottom