• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tiers? (Include an explaination)

multijack

Smash Cadet
THIS IS SO EASY!

pikachu
kirby
ness

then because there the easiest to use, fastest, and the most pover powered. basically top tier = broken

middle tier
fox
mario
luigi
captian falocn

low tier
jiggly
dk
samus
link

why im saying there low tier is because there hard to use. not that they suck. in my opinoin they all pwn broken characters

mooseproduce

Smash Ace
"Easiest to use, fastest, and the most pover powered."

So Fox should be in there, right?

PlatinumKirby's tier list is the best one yet, but this thread is lame anyways and I'm never coming back. YAI ^_^

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Yeh, I also agree with Platinum Kirby's tier list. At least the top 5. I'm not completely sure about the rest he has, but it seems pretty reasonable from my experiences.

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
Informative Tier List

Based on overall raw power and playability, **(NOT how often a char is played in high levels of competition; that in my eyes is just a waste of time)** this imo is the best tier list (in order).

TOP:
Pikachu

HIGH:
Kirby
Fox
Ness

MID:
Captain Falcon
Mario
DK

LOW:
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Luigi

BOTTOM:
Samus
Link

Pikachu is hands down the best character on the game. NO questions asked. However, some people believe he is close to other characters in terms of power...but I don't. He is quite a bit stronger than kirby, which is why he is in his own tier. Kirby, Fox, and Ness, however, are relatively close in power level. Some people think Ness should be lower...that's fine, just realize that a "perfect ness" is far better than a lot of the characters you would swap him with if that other character was played "perfectly" as well. Captain F. is very good, but his recovery is worse than you think. His Up B is very fragile/easily disruptable...he just hangs in the air too long...otherwise he could almost be High tier. Mario, assuming the player can SH Dair-Uair cancel at will, is an all around solid character. He has great recovery, and an incredible projectile. DK is the most underrated character in my opinion. He is quicker than you think...in other ways. Im not talking about great attack speed (think fox), or quick running speed (think Captain F.), but rather his ability for the player to make decisions at the last second. His range during most of his aerials is ridiculous, and his Up B is VERY good (very high priority and knockback, and decent distance when in midair). Now onto the Low tier...these 3 are pretty self explanatory. Yoshi lacks an Up B recovery, although his 2nd jump is great. His hit recovery is terrible, so he gets comboed too easily. Jiggly looks good, but her main comboes can be DI'd out of. Not to mention her awfully small body, which dies at very low %'s and lack of vertical recovery. Luigi is just like Mario, but much worse. His projectile is almost useless, and he lacks the combo ability Mario has. Although he jumps a little higher, his Up B isnt as good when used during recovery b/c it doesn't "catch" the opponent and knock them back like Mario's. For the Bottom tier we have Samus and Link. Samus majorly lacks comboes, and her grab is the worst in the game. Link also lacks comboes, but not as severely. Link has amazing projectiles, but horrible speed (running and attacking). What puts Link in the #12 slot is his laughable recovery...If you so much as throw him off the stage around 30-40% (depending on your character, obviously), he'll have a hard time coming back because of his low 2nd jump and bad Up B.

This is all my opinion, of course :laugh: ...there will still be ignorant guys that put Kirby above Pika and Link above DK...but thats why its an opinion. Anyway, have a good day and thanks for reading :lick:

Valo

Smash Rookie
Based on overall raw power and playability, **(NOT how often a char is played in high levels of competition; that in my eyes is just a waste of time)** this imo is the best tier list (in order).

TOP:
Pikachu

HIGH:
Kirby
Fox
Ness

MID:
Captain Falcon
Mario
DK

LOW:
Yoshi
Jigglypuff
Luigi

BOTTOM:
Samus
Link
I'd say that's almost perfect except..

Every one, (not jus the list up above) needs to cut link some slack. He is excellent.
link is easily low tier because of his projectiles and _ok_ recovery. Dk however has a recovery nearly as bad a yoshi's, because of his pathetic, vertically challenged third jump, that his power really can't make up for, which put him in the low tier too. but above all,

I SHALLT ANNOUNCE, IN ACTUALITY, SAMUS IS DAS WORST CHARACTER.
samus is just plain terrible in most aspects.

well, actually, I'd put falcon and fox in their own middle tier for quite obvious reasons, but mario's combo ability gets him in the bottom spot of it, making the tiers (in my opinion)

TOP:
Pikachu

HIGH:
Kirby
Ness

MIDDLE:
Captain Falcon
Fox
Mario

LOW:
Jigglypuff
Link
DK
Luigi
Yoshi

BOTTOM:
Samus

greenblob

Smash Lord
Jiggs nees to be in the same tier as Mario (or the other way around).

I think you're overestimating Link's comboing ability and recovery and underestimating DK's. DK, as well as Luigi and Yoshi have better combos than Link, who, despite having a few cool ones, lacks the speed needed for comboing. Also, DK's up B is a better move recovery-wise than Link's due to better DI/control, multiple hits, and less cooldown lag (the last part is based on observation--I might be wrong since I don't have frame data). Luigi obviously has a better recovery than Link (higher jumps + down B + higher up B gives Luigi a vertical recovery that's several times greater than Link's) and Yoshi's knockback-less second jump, if used correctly (jumping at the last moment to minimize falling time after the peak), can be better than Link's second jump+up B recovery-wise.
Link does have awesome projectiles and reach, but his lag makes those attacks too punishable. In FFAs, Link is great but in 1v1 matches, all you have to do is bait Link to attack.

Valo

Smash Rookie
Jiggs nees to be in the same tier as Mario (or the other way around).QUOTE]

Almost, but no.

DK's up B is a better move recovery-wise than Link's due to better DI/control, multiple hits, and less cooldown lag (the last part is based on observation--I might be wrong since I don't have frame data).
I really don't think DK's up b is better than Link's, the cooldown is basically the same, and the multiple hits doesn't matter. but better DI? what do you mean by that?

I think you're overestimating Link's comboing ability and recovery and underestimating DK's. DK, as well as Luigi and Yoshi have better combos than Link, who, despite having a few cool ones, lacks the speed needed for comboing. Also, DK's up B is a better move recovery-wise than Link's due to better DI/control, multiple hits, and less cooldown lag (the last part is based on observation--I might be wrong since I don't have frame data). Luigi obviously has a better recovery than Link (higher jumps + down B + higher up B gives Luigi a vertical recovery that's several times greater than Link's) and Yoshi's knockback-less second jump, if used correctly (jumping at the last moment to minimize falling time after the peak), can be better than Link's second jump+up B recovery-wise.
Link does have awesome projectiles and reach, but his lag makes those attacks too punishable. In FFAs, Link is great but in 1v1 matches, all you have to do is bait Link to attack.
I guess I accidentally put luigi under link and DK, but Yoshi, without a doubt, has the WORST recovery in the game. If Yoshi is knocked off once he is dead. And a lot of Link's lag after attacks is avoidable too.

Fabrian

Smash Journeyman
What are you talking about yoshi has one of the most useful recoverys. Yoshis can live up to 300% easy in this game you just have to know when to take the hit if it is your only option.
he does not die easily btw no experienced yoshi dies from getting knocked off under 110-150% depending on your opponent.

If your really in trouble and you have below 110% here's what you do: let yourself fall down abit then jump towards the edge so that the very instant to get to it you grab it so that any attack done to you will not affect your jump. Then if your still stuck do another double jump and get out of there.
Easy but i dont do it myself as i like mind games better.

Valo

Smash Rookie
I guess I didn't explain why I said Yoshi has the worst recovery in the game.. The reason why I said that is because if he double jumps, then gets hit he has absolutely no recovery, whereas any other character in the game has their third jump, which is crucial for recovery.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I guess I didn't explain why I said Yoshi has the worst recovery in the game.. The reason why I said that is because if he double jumps, then gets hit he has absolutely no recovery, whereas any other character in the game has their third jump, which is crucial for recovery.
However, Yoshi cannot be knocked back during his second jump, so you can get around that by cancelling the second jump when you're right above the ground.

Oh, and what I meant by DK's up b having better DI thing is that you can control which way you want to go more easily. But that might just be what it looks/feels like because it lasts longer...

And you're greatly underestimating Jiggs. Her recovery is great--most of the time, you don't need to use a single jump to get back on the stage. She has three great finishers--back throw, up smash, and rest, not to mention her amazing combos that set up well for those three attacks.

whaahppnd

Smash Journeyman
A well played yoshi can be summarized in one word:
ANNOYING
which makes him pretty good

miphisto55

Smash Rookie
This is acually my first post although i've been on these forums for the longest time. I just had to comment. Pikachu and Samus are my best characters, but if i had to choose it would be samus. Not trying to come off like a big dink hole here ( >_<) but samus is VERY good. Recovery is really good with her, hard to predict (if you play right) how she gets back (because of bombs). And and really amazing combo with samus (they changed this in melee for a reason) is samus can down punch right away sending your opponent in the air and they can't move for nearly 2 seconds. All you have to do is jump in the air and give them and nice hard backwards tilt kick and there gone at like 100%. Another note her edge guarding is amazing, if someone tries to come back, just jump and use down tilt off the edge and then just come back.

Sry for the long post but she is really good. I wish i could play one of you guys and post up a video to show you how to use her. Trust me, she owns. When my brother plays (he is always samus) the only characters i can beat him with are pika and samus. Ness used to be my main but his recovery is so easyly down smacked by samus.

Sry for any typos that might be in there >_>

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
Samus is awful

This is acualyl my first post although i've been on these forums for the longest time. I just had to comment. Pikachu and Samus are my best characters, but if i had to choose it would be samus. Not trying to come off like a big dink hole here ( >_<) but samus is VERY good. Recovery is really good with her, hard to predict (if you play right) how she gets back (because of bombs). And and really amazing combo with samus (they changed this in melee for a reason) is samus can down punch right away sending your opponent in the air and they can't move for nearly 2 seconds. All you have to do is jump in the air and give them and nace hard backwards tilt kick and there gone at like 100%. Another note her edge guarding is amazing, if someone tries to come back, just jump and use down tilt of the the edge and then just come back.

Sry for the long post but she is really good. I wish i could play one of you guys and post up a video to show you how to use her. Trust me, she owns. When my brother plays (he is always samus) the only characters i can beat him with are pika and samus. Ness used to be my main but his recovery is so easyly down smacked by samus.
If you play at a competitive level (which is what tiers are about), you will realize why samus is bad. She has 0 combo ability (not sure what you're smoking), and her grab is the worst in the game...if you miss u might as well jump off the edge lol

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
If you play at a competitive level (which is what tiers are about), you will realize why samus is bad. She has 0 combo ability (not sure what you're smoking), and her grab is the worst in the game...if you miss u might as well jump off the edge lol
You are a noob. Everyone knows that ALL the characters can combo. So, if you are saying that samus has 0 combo ability that means that she can't even get two hits together.

Her fair can get multiple hits on the enemy. Her dair can knock the enemy upwards (if they were originally on the ground) and then she can easily do a bair.

Don't reply to this, nub.

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
Watch this. This samus plays like i do. My style is a tad differen't but. And ya this pika is a lil bad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMGRR1feEoY&mode=related&search=
You are a complete idiot, sir n00balot. First and foremost, that is THEE best samus in the world...no you dont play like that so dont even pull that. Secondly, Park is a ridiculously good player, you would get crushed by him. Third, how many combos did you see the best ssb player in the world do with samus that match? I didnt see any of that great combo ability you claimed samus has.

For the love of God, please dont post about tiers if you're completely ignorant about the game. Tiers isnt a topic of opinion (somewhat, although based on character strenghts and weaknesses, as opposed to your opinion of "samus is one of my best chars")

miphisto55

Smash Rookie
.... ok.... you pwn i don't -_-. And i no who park and isai are. I'd love to play one of them but unfortunitly i can't. I do pwn with samus you havn't seen me play before.

And i didn't say anything about the tier list. It was ppl's comments on samus that made me start this.

StealthECartman

Smash Apprentice
You are a noob. Everyone knows that ALL the characters can combo. So, if you are saying that samus has 0 combo ability that means that she can't even get two hits together.

Her fair can get multiple hits on the enemy. Her dair can knock the enemy upwards (if they were originally on the ground) and then she can easily do a bair.

Don't reply to this, nub.
You're right, but you took "0 combo ability" a bit too literally...of course all chars can do some type of combo...in samus's case 2-3 hit combos tops for the most part

_kSo_

Smash Master
its hard to edge guard samus when she has infinite priority with her upB and fair

pika can trade hits with samus's upB tho

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
My Tier list for the heck of it. I'm really having a hard time around the Mario through Luigi, Cuz some characters are really under played. This is based on who I've played and the potential I've seen.

Pikachu
Fox
Kirby

Mid

Capt. Falcon
Mario
Jigglypuff
DK
Luigi
Ness
Samus

Low

Yoshi
Link

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Hehe, critique on mm04's list...

yoshi. wtf are you doing down there, get back up to mid where you belong.ahem. Well, Yoshi's pretty ***** good. Waay better than say...shamus. Scamus. Shouldenthavebeenputinthegame-us. Well, Jiggs could be higher than mario and ness def needs placement changes.

Not dissing you at all. Just my opinions. At least its not as effed up as some others...

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
i was under the impression that samus was just a little below average because while she doesnt have good combo's or a good moveset, she does have a couple of reliable combo's which lead to bair, which I presumed was one of the best kill moves in the game. I always just assumed link and luigi to be the worst, with kirby broken and Pika/ness god.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
i was under the impression that samus was just a little below average because while she doesnt have good combo's or a good moveset, she does have a couple of reliable combo's which lead to bair, which I presumed was one of the best kill moves in the game. I always just assumed link and luigi to be the worst, with kirby broken and Pika/ness god.
Well you're pretty much right on about Link, Luigi, and the top tiers.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Wrong about link. He has a couple ez 0-deaths and good finishers.
Yet the Tier list has him on the very bottom. D:

IMO, he is better than Samus, DK and pretty close to Luigi. But still not ranking to high.

HIs lack of a spike doesn't allow him easy gimps though. Unlike Samus and DK.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
IMO the tier list goes sumfin liek this and stuff...

Captain Falcon - (omg falcon punch.. no need to say more...)
Luigi - (he's got super awesome power moves n stuffz)
Link - (his spin atk cna hit ppl dat roll and stuff)
Samus
Fox
Yoshi
Mario
Ness
DK - (too slow)
Kirby - (these last guys are really lite and ez to kill)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff

feel free to comment

rokimomi

Smash Lord
Yet the Tier list has him on the very bottom. D:

IMO, he is better than Samus, DK and pretty close to Luigi. But still not ranking to high.

HIs lack of a spike doesn't allow him easy gimps though. Unlike Samus and DK.
Which tier list? There's so many and noon's agreed to any one of them completely. Yet alot have samus bottom and others have weird stuff. I guess the spike thing does get in the way, but that's what projectile setups are for. Stalling the opponant in the air to go into an attack to finish.

Luigi - (he's got super awesome power moves n stuffz)
Link - (his spin atk cna hit ppl dat roll and stuff)
Samus
Fox
Yoshi
Mario
Ness
DK - (too slow)
Kirby - (these last guys are really lite and ez to kill)
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Im starting to think you flipped the general list upsidedown lol.

Weight is not that big of a factor (not as big as you stated it is)
Dunno what else to say

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I play mainly Link and Fox in ssb64. I murder with both of them but Fox is easier to stay alive with.

Top Bottom