• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier Wh***s

Rawnie

Smash Champion
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I wondered should I start using Meta Knight? As much as i despise him, if I really want to be good should I use him? All the Top Tiers always place well in tournaments. How often do you see a Falcon or Ganondorf win a tournament? Rarely. Now that I've started using Mr. Game and Watch, I've noticed that I do better against people I usually lost to.

Then I realized, if I put as much effort as I do in Zelda/Sheik into Meta Knight and Snake, imagine how good I could be. This perplexed me. Is this the right thing to do? Should I just drop Zelda/Sheik, one my favorite characters ever, just to win? Is this moral?

As of right now, I think I might join the Tier Wh***s and main all the Top Tiers (although I already use 3 of them). I'm not compltely sure yet. What do you guys think? I need some insight from my fellow Smashers. Please don't be biased. Thanks.

- TSM

DarkPikmin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
zDecoy
*is biased* My mains aren't top tier I just enjoy using them. Only when I feel like being a wh*** then I would choose game and watch, dedede and such who I find to be quite fun at times. I would never want to pick meta or top tiers just to win. Win = fun? fun =/= meta ERR IN PROCESS. But for tournaments or serious matches I stick to my mid tier mains (Olimar moved up woo). I dislike top tier /end

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Play whoever you want. As long as you're having fun with the game, does it really matter who you play?

That, and winning is fun.

Rawnie

Smash Champion
Play whoever you want. As long as you're having fun with the game, does it really matter who you play?

Exactly. Winning. Why would I want to lose, when I can win with a Top Tier? How do I expect to win when i use some Mid Tiers or Low Tiers? I use them for fun, friendlies, and for the heck of it. Let's face it. The Top/High Tier characters are there for a reason, because they are good. But if I get serious about things and decide to go to a popular tournament (which I plan on doing soon) I am better of with a Top Tier.

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Play with whoever you do best with. Playing to win doesn't always have to mean you use a top tier character. I feel I play best with Sheik, so I use her [and I also enjoy playing her]. If you think you're doing better with game and watch, etc. than you ever could with your current mains, then by all means pick them up.

I'm trying not to get into the whole play to win vs. [insert any other fighting game philosophy here] because I don't want it to degenerate into a conflict, but I think it's hard to explain without doing so.

Hope that helps : \

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I feel you. My main is Mario, but I'm considering switching over to Kirby just because it's so much easier to win with him. I have a lot of fun playing as Mario, but I also have fun playing with Kirby AND I have a better chance to win with him.

Rawnie

Smash Champion
Play with whoever you do best with. Playing to win doesn't always have to mean you use a top tier character. I feel I play best with Sheik, so I use her [and I also enjoy playing her]. If you think you're doing better with game and watch, etc. than you ever could with your current mains, then by all means pick them up.

I'm trying not to get into the whole play to win vs. [insert any other fighting game philosophy here] because I don't want it to degenerate into a conflict, but I think it's hard to explain without doing so.

Hope that helps : \
This does but my best character is Marth, a Top Tier character. See where i am getting at?
I too use Sheik, but it is so much more easier to fair and Dancing Blade to win.

Also I could just CG someone with the Ice Climbers 0 to death. Seems easier (to me. I can easily CG more than half the cast and the ICs are a High Tier coincidence?) then to try pray for get a tippered Usmash to kill with Sheik.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Tough question. Try one, then try the other.

I mean, in Melee I use Mewtwo and I almost never win, but I sure impress people half the time. Sometimes, that's enough. Other times, I want to win.

Then I pick Fox:lick:

It's frustrating when you're losing to someone you know you could beat if you had just picked a character from the SS tier....

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
lol

play to win.

Pick Pink MetaKnight, cause he's the gayest.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's fairly simple.
You can jump on the top tier bandwagon and pick a MK or Snake, for tournaments, or you can completely master 1 character and make a statement by proving their worth.

But if you play to win, use MK for tourneys, and all the good characters for casual.

crewster

Smash Lord
I just play who I like. But if you use meta knight then he could be banned from tournys.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
If your trying to get known by your skill, I wouldnt use Main Meta, but if you mainly wanna win tournaments and care nothing for praise then its a pretty good choice. I would practice and get good with him and keep him as backup incase you ever need him, say like against another Meta player, or if there is a match you cant risk losing in.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If your trying to get known by your skill, I wouldnt use Main Meta, but if you mainly wanna win tournaments and care nothing for praise then its a pretty good choice. I would practice and get good with him and keep him as backup incase you ever need him, say like against another Meta player, or if there is a match you cant risk losing in.
Only use MK if you absolutely need to, but it would help if you used a lesser-known character to get your win.
And if you main MK, and do well in tourneys, people will always say "You know that guy that plays Meta Knight?".
"Yeah? Which one?"

Rawnie

Smash Champion
Only use MK if you absolutely need to, but it would help if you used a lesser-known character to get your win.
And if you main MK, and do well in tourneys, people will always say "You know that guy that plays Meta Knight?".
"Yeah? Which one?"
Hmm...very true. I was just thinking about this. I had considered him and Snake as possible secondaries, and I believe this would probably be best for me. I do want to win, but also to be remembered.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's frustrating when you're losing to someone you know you could beat if you had just picked a character from the SS tier....
Well then do it.
Honestly, main who you want, but just never complain if you lose to a higher tier character. Some people actually like the high tier characters, not just because they're high tier. Just because you hate Meta Knight, doesn't mean he doesn't have an actual fanbase. Just live and let live.

swordmaster592

Smash Apprentice
Ike and Toon Link are my mains. Their low-tier characters, but I play very well with them.

If you want to use Meta Knight, by all means. He's at the top of the tier. And the only A-class Tier Character, so it would definetely be good to choose him for tournaments. But you can use whoever your comfortable with, if you play better as kirby than you do as MK, play as kirby.

You don't have to limit your choices to only tier ranking. It's also about how you play.

The furosious robot has left

Smash Journeyman
Well, Does it play anything like shiek or zelda IYO?
Let's say your a marth main: You will want somebody with good smashes and good DI and rather fast.
Considering your username, I am assuming that you are a marth main. MK plays much like marth. IMO.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I hate tier whores with a burning passion. I don't understand them.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
If you really want to, go for it as long as you can manage MK's playstyle. I'm not going to sugar coat things; you can only go so far with a non-upper tier character, especially in this game.

mzink*

Smash Ace
I don't see anything wrong with putting work into the top tiers as well, that way you always have them there if you need them. Just do whatever is good for you, you don't have to use them all the time, but if you'd like to always have that option then hey go for it.

Panix

Smash Ace
I play snake because I've loved MG solid for almost my whole life, it's as simple as that. When i played snake in my town (before I got into smashboards) i thought he was the worst character, his smashes sucked (imo), his recovery was easy to punish, and he was slow as balls.

everyone in my town told me I would never win with snake, But i did. on many occasions. i didn't know how to mortar slide, how to shield drop nades, how to fully hop his nair, i just played him because he was snake. i usually did rely on his Utilt alot, not so much on his ftilt i used his jabs more then that.

(take in fact I knew nothing about Smashboards, tiers, priority, anything)

I just liked snake. and when i got onto the boards and found out he was high tier, and alot of people used him.

I was sorta upset. =/

justaway12

Smash Master
Why don't you just have two mains, I have two mains peach and pokemon trainer.
Just play Zelda/Sheik for fun and Metaknight for torneys.

And you shouldn't worry about being a teir wh***

Tires don Exits

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing a lot of thinking lately and I wondered should I start using Meta Knight? As much as i despise him, if I really want to be good should I use him? All the Top Tiers always place well in tournaments. How often do you see a Falcon or Ganondorf win a tournament? Rarely. Now that I've started using Mr. Game and Watch, I've noticed that I do better against people I usually lost to.

Then I realized, if I put as much effort as I do in Zelda/Sheik into Meta Knight and Snake, imagine how good I could be. This perplexed me. Is this the right thing to do? Should I just drop Zelda/Sheik, one my favorite characters ever, just to win? Is this moral?

As of right now, I think I might join the Tier Wh***s and main all the Top Tiers (although I already use 3 of them). I'm not compltely sure yet. What do you guys think? I need some insight from my fellow Smashers. Please don't be biased. Thanks.

- TSM
It's a game, morals don't come into it. If you want to play morally, stop using Zelda. She's poor and defenseless and Link isn't there to save here. :(

Honestly, play whoever you want to/do best with. Although it would be mega ironic if you start maining Snake and crash out of a tournament to a mediocre Ganondorf.

This.

Exactly. Winning. Why would I want to lose, when I can win with a Top Tier? How do I expect to win when i use some Mid Tiers or Low Tiers? I use them for fun, friendlies, and for the heck of it. Let's face it. The Top/High Tier characters are there for a reason, because they are good. But if I get serious about things and decide to go to a popular tournament (which I plan on doing soon) I am better of with a Top Tier.
Play whoever you do best with. You have to accept that there will be those who doubt you because of using a top tier, however.

lol overcompensating

Tough question. Try one, then try the other.

I mean, in Melee I use Mewtwo and I almost never win, but I sure impress people half the time. Sometimes, that's enough. Other times, I want to win.

Then I pick Fox:lick:

They're probably thinking, "I could have beaten him harder if I'd have picked a character that was as awesome as CAPTAIN FA- Metaknight.

Either that, or wait for mother around the world to complain about their son's telling them they have much yet to learn about parenting and getting Metaknight banned.

also woo snow :>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

- TSM
Please explain How NL is so good then? He plays everyone, and has almost beaten M2K (not in a set, but at least one match, though to be fair, it looked like M2K wasn't playing very well that day) with Lucas. LUCAS!!

Yeah, you don't see many Falcons and Ganons winning tournies, but it's not for the reasons you think. There simply aren't very many good/great Ganons/Falcons out there. If there were, more would win tournies. Take a look at Zeonstar or Koskinator. Those two just **** **** with their Ganons, but guess what, that's only two people.
Also, lower tier characters tend to have certain disasterous matchups (Ganon vs Yoshi, for example), which can make it almost impossible to win with JUST that character, which is where secondaries come in.

As for Zelda/Shiek, there are a fair number of good Zelda/Shieks, though not enough to consider them a high tier character. On top of that, I believe they have some really bad matchups as well (though I don't know who. To venture a guess, I'd say MK, Pika, or ROB. Maybe Ike too for zelda? *Shrugs*). If you learn your character extremely well AND the matchups (the latter is probably even more important), then you should be able to pull off victories, especially since a lot of people won't know the Zelda/Shiek matchup.

For example, I play almost every character to a certain degree. I picked up Shiek against my friend's MK, and for about 3-4 days, he couldn't get a win off, because he had no idea how to approach the matchup. After that, he learned it, and I never got a win off with Shiek again (though I put up a good fight, and if I bothered to learn chain jacketing, I think I would win again easily.). However, in a tournament, an opponent only has three games to learn a matchup, and that is, quite frankly, not enough. If they don't know it and you do, they're srewed. If they do, then you can either outplay them, or try to switch to a more advantageous character (which may not necessarily be the higher tier character, depending on the matchup.).

How long ago did you pick up G&W? Do your friends know the matchup yet? Are they stubborn and refuse to switch to a character who deals with G&W better than their own for that specific matchup if said matchup is disasterous? Those are the things that will influence how much you win or not.
Suppose for exmaple that I played your G&W, I would pick Mario, who is low tier. Do you know the matchup? Do you know that FLUDD will not only stop your Bair approaches, but keep you frozen in place long enough for me to punish? Do you know about Mario's low % combo abilities? Are you likely to get fireball gimped due to not expecting it? Do you know how to deal with a ledge camping Mario?
Most likely your answers will be no, in which case, I would be most likely to win. If, however, you were to know the matchup, odds are you'd know how G&W gets around said things, then I would have to switch to another character to avoid losing over and over.

I feel you. My main is Mario, but I'm considering switching over to Kirby just because it's so much easier to win with him. I have a lot of fun playing as Mario, but I also have fun playing with Kirby AND I have a better chance to win with him.
Heh, I main Kirby and second Mario. Ironically, I used to main MK before I found out about this site.
Both characters have a good chance of winning, but you guys seem to be missing the entire point. You won't win based on how high on the tier list your character is, you'll win based on matchups and your knowledge of your character. Without those, you're going to rush to MK expecting to win, and guess what, you'll lose to a mediocre Yoshi because you didn't know he could CG you across FD and back to end it with a Uair/Usmash.

I hate tier whores with a burning passion. I don't understand them.
I do, but they tend to be wrong.

Anyway, that's a long enough wall of text for now. I think you get the point. Hopefully it'll help you become a better smasher.

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Really, after playing Brawl again, I'd say go for it. The tier gaps are just so huge in this game compared to most fighters. Fromundaman has some point in saying that there are lower tier mains with skill and that you have better knowledge of matchups versus more popular characters, but it doesn't stop lower tiers from being too limiting. That "surprise" factor just gets less and less useful as you move up.

Iif you already feel like switching, change now.

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
Play to win. Learn MK as a secondary for all of your hard low tier'd main match ups. MK counters everything so hes the perfect secondary, but you don't have to use him all the time. Sure you might be discouraged by your opponents and friends not to use him, but hey, win a tourney, and most people will shut up. Whats the worst that can happen, MK is banned in a tourney? You still got zelda. Oh and people who play MK do get remembered, if they're good. I know the names of every 'good' MK in Texas, and I'm just a little kid who places 5th at tournies with fox :p. If you can pick up MK for a week, and go win a tourney, then you're either really good, or your region is terrible. Hes not a free win, just help against people you don't wanna fight with zelda.

Not that I picked up MK or anything, I suck with him lol.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I sure am late to this thread, but let's just get on with it...

If it's in friendly matches, just use whoever you're best with. I use Ness, Luigi and Bowser, and they're middle tier at best, yet I do splendidly with them. (I can even beat ******** Marths as Ness....)

But if you're going to a tourney, just use the "best" of your characters. Like... I'd pick Pit or Snake if I were in a tournament against a serious MK/Falco user. Otherwise I'd just stick with those 3 I mentioned first.

§leepy God

Smash Master
TIRES DON EXITS!!!

Anyways, looking at the tier list to decide what you should main is not a smart move, some character's are hard to use that make's them top tier, (Snake anyone). Or you can be like a whole crowd of the same people and pick Meta Knight when I see people that plays him play the same. :p

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Just one thing I want to point out, if you go MK, every single serious player is going to know exactly how to fight you, as everyone knows the MK matchup.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This.

This is exactly what I'm trying to say.
Yeah, but if you are playing an A tier, and they are playing against a G tier, and you're frustrated because you know you could beat them if you played an SS tier...

that sorta means you suck.

* Note: I wasn't speaking to you specifically*

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Some characters.. are really good once you master them. And if you have fun playing with them why switch? Take my main Peach for example.. At horrible levels of play she sucks. But when she plays perfectly against a perfect snake or anyone below him she has the upper hand. She is also very tactical and strategic. Its just how you fight in brawl and how much fun you have with that particular character.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Then I realized, if I put as much effort as I do in Zelda/Sheik into Meta Knight and Snake, imagine how good I could be. This perplexed me. Is this the right thing to do? Should I just drop Zelda/Sheik, one my favorite characters ever, just to win? Is this moral? - TSM
As I see it, you have 3 options.

-Play Zelda/Sheik and win occasionally
-Play Snake/MK and win more frequently
-Play as Zelda/Sheik and win all the time

Don't drop 'em as your mains just because you think you'll be better with higher tiered characters. Don't give in to common sense. Zelda and Sheik may not be considered the best characters in the game, but that doesn't mean you can't **** opponents with them. Just keep practicing. As fromundaman said, players don't have as much experience against good Zeldas/ Sheiks as they do against high tiers. Use that to your advantage.

SSJ5Goku8932

Smash Lord
I **** people with PT,and they use High tiers and are skilled.The current Brawl tier list is not the final one.It will likely recieve changes.

Top Bottom