• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
I mean I'm a Squirtle main so I'm obviously biased but I have no idea what the deal with Squirtle's up-B is supposed to be either, I haven't noticed it being particularly unedgeguardable when playing against Squirtle myself, even outside of dittos.

Last edited:

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
What's wrong with wavedrops? It just helps him mix up his approaches, it's not busted or anything.
Wavedrops aren't dumb in the sense that they're broken. They're dumb in that Luigis are startning to rely too heavily on it. It's a gimmick that works for now but once people start to figure out how to deal with it, it won't be that potent.

I know you didn't ask but up air i do think is pretty strange though. When a move that has so much range and such good juggle ability can also start strong combos..its questionable why the angle was changed for it from melee to PM. Up air can lead to up b at even the slightest of bad DI. If you do di it correctly (in front of luigi), at low and mid percents luigi can still get a fair or a down air as a finisher. It's just a really difficult move to escape from unless you're at high percents. Nothing game breaking but just silly.

Last edited:

PMS | LEVEL 100 MAGIKARP

Hologram Summer Again
to be honest luigi kinda ain't **** without wavedrops and the ability to b-reverse things out of wavedrops gives a lot more strength to his movement in neutral. he no longer gets stuck on platforms like he did sometimes in melee nad he has a versatile tool to ambiguously cover airspace

overrealiance on wavedrop nair is a gimmick, wavedrops as a movement option are for real

also tbh wavedrops are the reason I play pm and not melee

Last edited:

Kapapanerp

Smash Apprentice
to be honest luigi kinda ain't **** without wavedrops and the ability to b-reverse things out of wavedrops gives a lot more strength to his movement in neutral. he no longer gets stuck on platforms like he did sometimes in melee nad he has a versatile tool to ambiguously cover airspace

overrealiance on wavedrop nair is a gimmick, wavedrops as a movement option are for real

also tbh wavedrops are the reason I play pm and not melee
Wavedrops are nice, but not having to charge tornado is a godsend. Fireballs not being bad is nice too.

Edit: Also jab is gahlike.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
Characters that are "honest" are characters that just play on fundamentals and don't really have the option of gimmicking out your opponent. They're based heavily off of playing a strong neutral and punish game. I'm gonna throw in Street Fighter examples as that's my main game since PM is dead in Florida

Examples: Ryu, Guile, Chun Li, Fox, Falcon, Marth

"Dishonest" or "jank" characters have ways to circumvent neutral or have a skewed risk/reward ratio on their actions. They may also just have attributes that don't just don't fit the game well

Examples: Charlie/Nash, R Mika, Urien, Squirtle, DDD, Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucario, ROB

This is all subjective of course but yeah.

To be honest this game has so many design **** ups and just inconsistencies that it's hilarious to play and critique the mindset that let certain characters get through. It's a shame because there's so many characters like Ike, Wolf, and ZSS who made an excellent transition to the melee engine and really stand out as design successes.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"melee fundamentals" is a misleading term, because melee's top play is weird as hell. SS2's grand finals had the commentators basically admitting that the first game means more than anything else because with the same consistency as that first game, you can just play back-and-forth counterpicks to an easy victory

NWRL

Smash Ace
That literally has nothing to do with how characters are designed and honesty/fundamental play

I think we all know Melee has an over developed metagame

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
I agree with what NWRL NWRL said about honest characters. However, I would never consider Fox an honest character. Nair approch to drillshine throws spacing fundamentals out the window and only requires positioning. Also, Fox's laser game is not a challenging camp game to optimize. Just too much stuff falls under the jank category.

Marth is an honest character.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Yes, as long as you don't autolose to DD grab/Fair by being faster or having similar range (or both), Marth can be an honest character.

However, if you don't have those traits...

Foo

Smash Lord
The way you guys are talking about it, it seems that "Honest" just means "I know what this characters options are and what can beat them" and dishonest means that you don't. Basically, any character that plays like melee top tiers is honest, as well as anything else you've happened to play against a lot.

My version of "honest" is "This characters moves are visually intuitive and don't have significant rng elements." Looking at it that way, there aren't to many dishonest characters (GAME AND WATCH COUGH COUGH).

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I just kinda lurk here and pop in every now and then, but y'all do seem to get hung up on making objective claims on things that are pretty subjective.

NWRL

Smash Ace
The way you guys are talking about it, it seems that "Honest" just means "I know what this characters options are and what can beat them" and dishonest means that you don't. Basically, any character that plays like melee top tiers is honest, as well as anything else you've happened to play against a lot.

My version of "honest" is "This characters moves are visually intuitive and don't have significant rng elements." Looking at it that way, there aren't to many dishonest characters (GAME AND WATCH COUGH COUGH).
Design consistency is one thing that I think people undervalue in the PM community. Characters like ROB and Lucario really stand out because they really break the rules of the game. Lucario's hit confirms and EX meter are something that just looks and feels out of place when you look at the cast as a whole. Same thing with ROB and air dashes and still having a double jump.

These characters operate differently than the rest of the cast... for what reason? To just be unique?

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
Design consistency is one thing that I think people undervalue in the PM community. Characters like ROB and Lucario really stand out because they really break the rules of the game. Lucario's hit confirms and EX meter are something that just looks and feels out of place when you look at the cast as a whole. Same thing with ROB and air dashes and still having a double jump.

These characters operate differently than the rest of the cast... for what reason? To just be unique?
You have to bear in mind that uniqueness is a positive aspect to strive for in your cast, so giving characters uniqueness for the sake of uniqueness essential. However, this is a different discussion entirely. Rob and Lucario and many other characters do have things that make them very, very different, and thus difficult to adapt to, but they are still "honest" because they aren't unintuitive or luck based.

Characters being too different and weird can be a design problem, but I think it falls into a different category than being "honest." I suppose it's semantics, but it doesn't feel fair to belittle a player by calling their character "dishonest" just because you haven't taken the time to learn what they can do. However, if you character has hitboxes that don't match the animation, impactful RNG, or forced BS 50-50 mixups (like raw 50-50 guesses off of throws), then I feel it's fair to call them dishonest.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
When you have Bowser's armour and Fox's shine and Peach's float cancel and Lucas's OU and Snake's everything and Sonic's Side B and IC's as a concept and GW's Up B and Wario's GOO...

The "rules of the game" start to look pretty arbitrary. There's an incredible amount of skewed risk+skill/reward among the cast, there are unique traits for every character, and at some point you have to step back and say "do I accept this as 'honest' because I'm familiar with it or because it has a sensible risk+skill/reward ratio?

Don't get me wrong. IMO the majority of moves have sensible risk+skill/reward ratios. It's just that when you have a tool that doesn't have a good ratio, and the character's optimal playstyle is centered on that tool, I think that makes a "dishonest" character.

I think Pit is the most honest character in the game.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
That literally has nothing to do with how characters are designed and honesty/fundamental play

I think we all know Melee has an over developed metagame
getting a grab, that leads into a long chaingrab, which you use as a main tool in a heavily common matchup, isn't very "honest" under these rules you've put up. in melee, you can skip a good chunk of "fundamental play" and set yourself up to always win this one stage/character setup, same way you can do so in PM.

you could then argue that it's something you learn to play around... except then that applies to a majority of what you consider to be dishonest, so the semantics train is stuck in a loop

the arguments towards good/badly designed characters as a whole are worthwhile, don't get me wrong, but the comparisons you throw up seem entirely to be "these characters with complete BS I understand, so they're honest, these characters I don't really get so they're not", which isn't too helpful in the grand scheme of things

Chevy

Smash Ace
You have to bear in mind that uniqueness is a positive aspect to strive for in your cast, so giving characters uniqueness for the sake of uniqueness essential. However, this is a different discussion entirely. Rob and Lucario and many other characters do have things that make them very, very different, and thus difficult to adapt to, but they are still "honest" because they aren't unintuitive or luck based.

Characters being too different and weird can be a design problem, but I think it falls into a different category than being "honest." I suppose it's semantics, but it doesn't feel fair to belittle a player by calling their character "dishonest" just because you haven't taken the time to learn what they can do. However, if you character has hitboxes that don't match the animation, impactful RNG, or forced BS 50-50 mixups (like raw 50-50 guesses off of throws), then I feel it's fair to call them dishonest.
Today I learned Lucario is intuitive.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
With the qualifier that you read up or play around with the character to see how he works first, he is. If you run into him without studying up, he is incredibly confusing and bull****.
A character that is intuitive allows one to use their innate knowledge of smash to have a basic understanding (or 'feeling') of how that character works, reading up on them because they're so different is literally defeating the entire concept of an intuitive character.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
A character that is intuitive allows one to use their innate knowledge of smash to have a basic understanding (or 'feeling') of how that character works, reading up on them because they're so different is literally defeating the entire concept of an intuitive character.
In my original post, I said "visually intuitive" but dropped the word visually out of laziness in subsequent posts. All I meant by that is that the hitboxes make sense (e.g. not G&W nair), match the animation (e.g. not G&W dtilt), and don't have a trajectory that makes zero sense/vary (e.g. not G&W dash attack and throws respectively). I think if someone needs to explain a character's unique mechanics for you to properly play against them (e.g. lucario), you could still call them honest, but if you have to study frame data and debug mode and memorize where the hitboxes on their moves, deal with game changing rng/silly forced mixups (almost exclusively ones off grab), then you can't really call them honest.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Just about every character in this game is dishonest and the few who are actually honest are generally considered to be at the bottom of the cast. In this game honesty is not a virtue.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
PM doesn't really have any honest characters. It's mainly which character has more/less bull**** than the other characters. I don't even think "honesty" should be a discussion for this game.

Every character has stupid BS or a gimmick. Yes, even the one that you play.

D

Deleted member

PM doesn't really have any honest characters. It's mainly which character has more/less bull**** than the other characters. I don't even think "honesty" should be a discussion for this game.

Every character has stupid BS or a gimmick. Yes, even the one that you play.
lol what an obviously dismissive axiom. ignoring that some characters have infinitely more jank than others is a hilariously dishonest evaluation of the subject.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
ignoring that some characters have infinitely more jank than others is a hilariously dishonest evaluation of the subject.
Am I really ignoring that some characters have more jank than others when in my previous post I said that it's mainly about which characters have more or less BS than others?

I think some characters in this game have a ridiculous amount of questionable design choices. I also think some of the extremely tolerable characters have a few questionable qualities as well. I just don't think that "honest" is a good word choice for describing any characters in this game, but that's just me. :drshrug:

Damn I'm pessimistic.

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
Man I really hate how much operational definitions and the like need to be explained amongst you folk, but "honest" is about whether a character is intuitive or not. Think back to 64: yeah some characters had questionable moves (ie Kirby utilt) but were the characters not intuitive to play against? Someone can pick up the game, and figure out relatively quickly, without being overwhelmed, what a character can kinda do. In the case of Snake and GnW you can still be surprised by **** long after playing against them, wheres against something like a Link you can kind of understand what they're doing and will do to you after a very short period of time, like well within one game.

I don't know even I sound stupid. Who cares, some characters are near universally despised, such as how blatantly horrible Krunch is in Diddy Kong Racing, or how awful Waluigi's goaltender is in Super Mario Strikers for the GameCube.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
There is no real objective definition of honesty in the contex of pm, hence all the differing opinions of what an honest character in PM is.

And hell I think using it to mean intuitive to fight against is the worse wsy to use it. Because what is intuitive to fight against is an ever constantly changing fact as you grow as a player and play against more characters more often.

NWRL

Smash Ace
I think it's pretty safe to say that certain characters just don't follow the rules like everyone else

Grenades on shield with Snake for example, shielding is supposed to be a pretty disadvantaged state, yet grenades not only protect him in shield with no interaction from Snake sans the initial pull of the nade, Snake can get decent follow ups off of a nade explosion... Just because you hit his shield, which SHOULD put Snake at a disadvantage

I don't know how dair passed testing as is with Snake

Lucarios entire kit allows him to just do whatever he wants and then cancel stuff to make it safe if he hits shield, or when he does get a hit, he gets to go hog wild and deal a **** ton of damage.

Like every GOOD fighter has universal rules that every fighter adheres to.

You don't want a situation like in JoJo HD where you have a character that is immune to lows... Just because it's unique (Petshop)

Last edited:

_Chrome

Smash Ace
There is no real objective definition of honesty in the contex of pm, hence all the differing opinions of what an honest character in PM is.

And hell I think using it to mean intuitive to fight against is the worse wsy to use it. Because what is intuitive to fight against is an ever constantly changing fact as you grow as a player and play against more characters more often.
It doesn't change the fact that characters such as Lucario, whom people still scratch their heads about when people mention the aura charges and magic series, are objectively less "straight forward", if you will, than characters such as something like Marth. When characters move or behave in exceedingly strange ways, players are gonna question the integrity or validity of what they are doing: what kind of outliers exist in the game, which are probably going to be less well-received, assuming most people will prefer the way the larger portion of the characters behave.

If you have only certain characters who can perform certain mechanics, that's when people start to dislike them (given it's not something incredibly minor or just for fun/bad).

.alizarin

Smash Apprentice
i don't know why this is even really being debated. to me, in the context of single moves, intuitive to me means either being able to deduce how a move works by its animation (includes hitlag, effects, character it's used by, etc), and i don't know how you'd give it some other definition. for entire characters being intuitive or unintuitive or whatever, you can either tally up how many unintuitive moves they have overall or you can count how many times you squint and tilt your head

there are obviously varying degrees here when reasoning and varying degrees of success, but usually even the slightly more obtuse ones are easy to figure out. the best part, to me, is that you're able to make educated guesses on how some moves work based on the aforementioned stuff regarding the animation, and each of these different factors can make up for another one's shortcomings.

to take zss's utilt as an example, the startup animation is clearly very fast, it looks like a "launching" animation since it looks like a vertical move, and you can tell where it's supposed to send you (if the launching part wasn't clear, get hit by it once and it's easy to see where it goes) clearly you won't know the specifics on how the initial hitboxes pull you in or which frame it comes out exactly or how it can be used in frame traps or whatever, but that's supplementary information and not entirely relevant in the context of reasoning this stuff out "intuitively"

if we take marth's fair as another example, the tip sends you up, yet he swings down? i don't think this trajectory is particularly intuitive when you consider the animation, but it's very easy to establish in your head how that hitbox works after getting hit by it once or twice, and then it just becomes some other move. plus, other hitboxes in the game establish that not all moves have an immediately obvious trajectory, and for marth in particular, there's no way to animate both the hilt (low-angle) and tip (high-angle) on the same swing, so it's whatever

you may have noticed that with the above two examples, even if it doesn't seem immediately obvious, you can just take a second look or two and figure it out based on either the animation (zss utilt implies vertical launcher) or it's very clear how the hitbox works when you consider the context of the character (marth's tipping isn't even really character specific, it's just sourspot vs sweetspot, which every character has, we associate it with a "tip" because it's visually clear that trajectory, knockback, etc. change)

then we have someone like sonic who has two moves that look almost identical but have completely different functions and options out of them that you can't reason out fully without reading things up, but at the very least it's general direction is clear and his position is pretty clear at any given time, so you can at least attempt to play around with it

oh boy and then we have lucario,

lucario is the one of the most offensive in this regard because his design makes absolutely no sense unless you go to the internet to search for information - not how to beat him, but what's happening on the screen at all. lucario threateningly has a seizure in front of you while throwing blue glitter in your eyes and it makes no sense visually, it makes no sense in terms of "feel", it makes no sense in terms of the rest of the cast because he is literally the only one that does this etc.

lucario gives you absolutely no indication on how he works. he has a "aura" (it's a meter idc) system which isn't even represented with a meter, his animations can't even be used as a way to tell or make an educated guess on how his moves work because they cancel out of themselves way too early to figure out what's going on, you can't make any assumptions on his character cause he's just been in one bad pokemon movie where he throws ki blasts everywhere and anyone who thinks this character is intuitive needs to stop

ugh

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm probably the only person here who dorsn't have a problem with Lucario and finds a character such as Marth more unintuitive to fight against then Lucario lmao.

Zach777

Smash Journeyman
To whoever said Bowser sucks in Mario Kart 64. You are wrong, look up the ATs of MK64 off the faq at MarioKart64.com. Bowser performs all those ATs better than Mario, Luigi, DK, or Wario. Bowser also has the sharpest drift in the game. All in all, Bowser is fourth on the MK64 tierlist.

I know this is completely off topic.

Top Bottom