• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Spralwers

Smash Ace
I'm sure the argument for Roy being better than Marth is deeper than Roy having better killing power. If you're using just his killing power as the main argument, you also have to consider that he gets comboed/dies more easily. His kill power is also noticeably weakened by big stages, whereas Marth doesn't care as much about big stages because he's good at edge guarding.

I have gone back and forth between Marth and Roy a bunch of times, and at the end of the day have preferred Marth as a solo main because he has faster ground mobility while still having devastating options out of DD. But Roy has a functionally different moveset. I want to see the super theory bros describing how that moveset + faster fall speed is a greater advantage to Marth's moveset + floatier fall speed + higher ground mobility, especially in the MUs that give Marth trouble.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Drunken rant stuff
While I agree with many of the others that the DT missed an opportunity with this release to make something really great by buffing the bottom characters that are simply outclassed (namely DK, Link, Ness, Jigglypuff, others) and tweak or ring in some of the characters that are too strong or have stupid attributes (Fox, Wolf, G&W, maybe Falco and others) more dramatically, I still think that every patch of Project M minus the Beta of 3.6 has been better than the previous release and I also believe that their slow and safe approach of small nerfs and buffs at a time is better than the opposite of going ham with adjustments. I think they could definitely be more aggressive with the changes, but I don't fault them for their approach and certainly don't think encouraging everyone to leave a scene that at this point could use all the players it gets is the solution to the issues you have. I think things could definitely be a lot worse before that response is warranted.

D

Deleted member

Does it bother anyone else that Toon Link is so much blatantly better than Link?
I think most of the public actually prefers this

To keep links personality and make him a good character, you have to focus on (buff) his projectiles rather than his speed or normals since thats where his characteristics are derived from. In the past, we've seen builds where his projectiles were been significantly better than they currently are, and the backlash from the community was insane. Having the faster character who is based more around his normals be better than the character who is based around projectiles is a happier solution for smash fans, because most people don't like fighting characters whose main strength is degeneracy.

Making a link that instead focused on his speed and/or normals would strip part of his distinct character design, as you'd likely cross over onto toonlinks ground as a character. It's very difficult to change characters according to how they're considered in the meta and their background characteristics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idostuff

Smash Apprentice
im not an expert on either, but i think Roy is better than Marth for a few reasons. Most of which just include Roy having more options due to more functional moves. Roys side b attacks are very good and have good mixup ability with the turn around on the 4th hit. Marth's side b is really only good for side b into up tilt. Roy's neutral b is just better than Marth's, sure it doesn't break shields, but Marth hardly ever uses his neutral b for that anyway. its mostly used as an aerial forward facing finisher, or charged at the ledge as an edgeguard, both of which Roy's is better at. Roy's downsmash is a good quick vertical kill move, something that Marth lacks completely.

Their bairs are used for different things and honestly i think their just as "good" in each kit.

Then there is the D-tilt. I know many people may disagree on this one, but i think Roy has a better d-tilt (they are both super good tho). Marth uses his d-tilt to threaten space, when it hits, you take some % (11 i think?), you lose some stage position, and it resets to neutral. Roy also uses d-tilt to threaten space, except when he hits you, either he gets the same results as marth, OR he can get a combo started.

MLGF

Smash Lord
JUST KEEP BUFFING LINK'S KILL MOVES!
THAT'LL FIX EVERYTHING, RIGHT GUYS?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
I think most of the public actually prefers this

To keep links personality and make him a good character, you have to focus on (buff) his projectiles rather than his speed or normals since thats what his characteristics are derived from. In the past, we've seen builds where his projectiles have been significantly better than they currently are, and the backlash from the community was insane. Having the faster character who is based more around his normals be better than the character who is based around projectiles is likely a happier solution for smash fans, because people don't like fighting characters whose main strength is degeneracy.

Making a link that instead had his speed and/or normals would strip part of his distinct character design, you'd likely stomp over onto toonlinks ground as a character. It's very difficult to change characters according to both how they're considered in the meta and keeping them in touch with their background.
Conversely, are Toon Link's superior Bombs not considered stomping on Link's design territory? What about his similar kill setups off of D-Throw, or more lenient Bomb Jump? It's kinda nuts how TL's speed and the properties of his projectiles give him arguably better zoning than Link, which sort of spits on his intended niche.

As bad as degenerate (or whatever buzzword the kids want to use to describe something wrong) design is, letting a character be obviously outclassed by principle is no better. Can there be no middle ground where Link has effective zoning without being broken? :(

Last edited:

Fabulous Falcon

Smash Rookie
I usually just tend to lurk around the threads and not post much but, I feel like Link would probably benefit from a few suggestions on the Link boards. Really to be honest he doesn't need too many adjustments besides tweaking his grab(his throws are actually pretty good now but the latest grab change doesn't exactly help him) and projectiles a bit. I feel like the 3.02 iteration left a bad taste in people's mouths due to being too overbearing and this has prevented much work from being done on him. I still do feel that Toon Link's projectile game rivals his a bit too much from a design standpoint which makes him feel effectively better all around.

D

Deleted member

Conversely, are Toon Link's superior Bombs not considered stomping on Link's design territory? What about his similar kill setups off of D-Throw, or more lenient Bomb Jump? It's kinda nuts how TL's speed and the properties of his projectiles give him arguably better zoning than Link, which sort of spits on his intended niche.

As bad as degenerate (or whatever buzzword the kids want to use to describe something wrong) design is, letting a character be obviously outclassed by principle is no better. Can there be no middle ground where Link has effective zoning without being broken? :(
Toon Links bombs being superior is less of the actual bomb itself, and more of the run speed its attached to. This also applies to... every comparable part between the two characters.

Toon Links normals, specials, and ability to obtain a grab are all very difficult to compare to a character like link because of their difference in speed. It's not really fair to say Toon Links bomb is objectively better than links, because the whole gameplan with toonlinks bomb is abusing his dash dance mobility after he obtains the bomb. Giving Link TLinks bomb wouldn't really do much for him, because he pulls tinks bomb and then he's like "now what?". He just chucks the bomb like before, he doesn't carry nearly as much threat as toonlink would because he's slow.

The only way to get past this speed barrier (Outside of literally increasing his run speed, which has been done twice in PM) is by making all of his moves massively over powered. This is why character extremes are difficult to work around, and the example in this case comes from the difference in speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
is by making all of his moves massively over powered. This is why character extremes are difficult to work around, and the example in this case comes from the difference in speed.
I don't see how making moves "overpowered" isn't a realistic solution. Much of ganon's moveset would be ridiculous on a fast character like ZSS, but nobody considers his moves "overpowered" because they are attached to such a slow character. Granted, ganon isn't exactly a posterboy for viability, but the point I really want to make is that overpowered is often viewed as character wholes, or moves that are so good that they carry a character by themself... like 3.0 boomerang. I don't see why things couldn't be done for link/other characters viewed to be suffering like slightly better all/most normals and slightly better grab to help pull them up to a better position. Slightly better movement has already been done already, but not completely? How about his jump momentum carry or w/e it's called? Better drifting control/speed? I feel a lot of little things can go a long way rather than making any single thing or small group of things feel absurd.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
maybe you should try DIing for starters though

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
One change I have literally never understood is why Link's bomb throw speed was nerfed in 3.5, when things like Diddy's SICK banana throw angle and speed were kept. It's not like Link can easily hit confirm from bomb (at least compared to TL) and boomerang was the really overwhelming part.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
So if there's one thing, can we fix dk options of getting down https://youtu.be/_3xv28lJacQ?t=867 :.(
I cry everytime
If you had your jump, you probably could have smash SDI'd up to prevent yourself from falling low enough for the next upair, then jump out and try to reestablish positioning
Or just DI in the same direction to get offstage, or just to a spot where he can't use the platform to get himself in position for the next jump->upair
but that's gonna happen to some degree regardless if you keep going to stages with such bad platform coverage- too low to land on from the juggle, just high enough for him to jump to for continuing the punish

Last edited:

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice
If you had your jump, you probably could have smash SDI'd up to prevent yourself from falling low enough for the next upair, then jump out and try to reestablish positioning
Or just DI in the same direction to get offstage, or just to a spot where he can't use the platform to get himself in position for the next jump->upair
but that's gonna happen to some degree regardless if you keep going to stages with such bad platform coverage- too low to land on from the juggle, just high enough for him to jump to for continuing the punish
Yea I know I was max sding the upairs its not enough for dk I can di off stage but then it just me forced to either go high or die, if I go high I get grabbed rinse repeat my only option is prolly wait get hit with uair then jump away after it, also it was his cp and I hate poke 2
Ps I wasnt diing off because its auto death v link off grab he can cover ledge if I go high I die anyways :l

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Does it bother anyone else that Toon Link is so much blatantly better than Link?
I really hate these kinds of statements as they are very disingenuous in general.

I could say the same about any top tier character to any bottom tier character that don't even share the same name.

Like seriously. There are going to be characters better then other characters and sometimes the difference is blantant. **** happens. But Project M is trying to minimize this as much as possible between all characters and it stands to reason the blantantness will become less and less.

But let's forget that for a second.

Just calling Tink a smaller version of Link is also being very disingenuous to both characters in terms of gameplay and playstyle, yet for some reason this seems to be the reason people get so up in arms about Tink being better the Link. What are their similarities? They shar similar looking Specials but that is it for the Specials as they have radically different properties to each other which in turn changes how the play with those projectiles, they share a Zair which again have big difference in how they work for them, they both share a tether grab but so does Samus and Lucas and Ivy and blah blah blah and they have, what, 3 simmilar looking normals (Dsmash, Uair, and Dair are the only normals they share that are visually simmilar to each other I believe?) where one of those normals have a big difference to each other in terms of angle and the other two are mostly the same to each other with only a difference in range and one having a special property to it, and they both have a shield. Not to mention the huge difference in mobility which all leads to a very different playstyle for both.

Link is closer to a character like Sagat while Tink is closer to a character like Akuma (Obviously not a 1:1 comparison for either but I think it gets the general idea across).

But yeah some characters are going to be better then other character and sometime it is blantant sometimes this goes for clones (hell, look at Evil Ryu to Ryu in USF4, but also in the case of Tink and Link I would argue they are more like semi-clonesat the very most, espically in the case of Project M). But the kindd of question you asked is just such a shallow look at the two characters and does them both a disservice.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Yea I know I was max sding the upairs its not enough for dk I can di off stage but then it just me forced to either go high or die, if I go high I get grabbed rinse repeat my only option is prolly wait get hit with uair then jump away after it, also it was his cp and I hate poke 2
Ps I wasnt diing off because its auto death v link off grab he can cover ledge if I go high I die anyways :l
no you were not max SDIing the upairs, I can tell that very clearly from the video lol. I would be hard pressed to even believe there weren't any you didn't SDI at all. Regardless though, going offstage isn't a good situation, no, but I think you are oversimplifying it, there are many more options than high or low, and DK's up-b hitboxes do have enough priority to force characters to respect it, I'd be hard pressed to believe there isn't some combination of mix-ups that won't get you back onstage against even link a good fraction of the time. You may disagree with me but honestly doubt I will have the desire to really continue talking about it later so I guess i'll just leave it at that, rather than watching the whole damn thing again and looking for instances of mix-up options he didn't cover... because that's what I'd have to do to prove my point, it's what I always have to do

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Totally gonna go backwards through this.

Regarding DK and DI, etc.
As far as what @ DrinkingFood DrinkingFood said in some form of example, just look for spots that you could do something to change the situation.
This is Smash.
There are more options when you're GETTING HIT in this game than there are when you're HITTING OTHERS in other games. There's basically ALWAYS something you can do about it.
Random things would be to aim 'against' Links momentum, getting some distance might start a chain of him needing 'more' momentum to keep going, allowing you greater windows to escape. Ping-pong style distance spread making things harder on him.
Or just aim to DI in a way that you can B-Air or Air-Dodge out, which there were options there.
Your experimenting of it will be more beneficial than him or anyone pointing things out though.

As @ NWRL NWRL pointed out about other things, even the quote that he quoted about buffs to characters, there's nothing more disheartening to new players in the community, than short-sighted analysis of the 'state' of something in a game. That same thing applies to the fact that there's nothing more dysfunctional to healthy play among good players than it.
That's not to say these characters wouldn't be a lot cooler and benefit greatly from things, and not to say things won't be different in future versions of PM, but complaining about what exists is ridiculous.
See; later in this post.

@ NWRL NWRL should also gets smart-person-of-the-last-few-pages badge in general really.
@ mimgrim mimgrim could get one too for that last topic.

Link stuff.
Comparing Link to TL is terrible, just don't.
@ Apollo Ali Apollo Ali made a point about Link's bomb tossing speed that might make sense of it.

In Melee, it was as band-aid as it gets. It was Link's only fast-ish option AT ALL. Let alone OOS or how it could be used both aerial and grounded and in any direction.
His keep-out game and counter-approach game was mediocre, or bad beyond reason in some cases, and this option was his only 'fast' move.
He only NEEDED a fast move to begin with because the rest was mediocre at best, and he only ever USED the fast move because he really didn't have any other choice.
Link in PM gravitates to keep-out and counter-approach game for a reason. It's GOOD. His fast-bomb-out-of-pressure isn't something he needs to resort to. Not in the sense that he always needed to do it, but it's niche and still makes a difference, but it's not the ONLY factor in play when it comes to how him and his opponent play around Link-is-in-pressure situations.
Why? Because the rest of him is functional.

This kind of thing is perfectly fit for a character like Link.
He doesn't benefit from a fast bomb-like move the way Peach needs Turnips to close gaps because she wants to maneuver at the opponent.
He doesn't benefit from them the way someone mobile using it for conversions would the way TL would.
That kind of ties into the way @Lunchables described, but left it on the short-sighted end again regarding Link.
This stuff is not a core of his game-plan, and doesn't fit there. This is simple enough.

The things that go 'wrong' with someone like Link is when those counter-approach and zoning-out options are ALSO a lot more than that.
If his bombs converted to things VERY easily, while being such a non-committing counter-approach option, we'd have THE problem. Just as the previous things that created THE problem were before.
If his rang converted to major things, as a tool for controlling space that could almost always be used and be beneficial, same thing (see previous patches)
If his Z-air converted to major things, while taking space as a solid preemptive counter-approach and interaction-control tool, same thing (see previous patches)
If his Grab converted to major things, while being a one of the most difficult tools to counter-play around and contain during approach attempts being a huge Grab that went through aerials and shields, same thing (see previous patches)

These were changed for a reason.

The proper direction was taken with things like his Z-Air. It used to be a poke-away tool, then it was a free-kill tool, now it's a tool with its intended function WHICH MEANS it has all the neutral-control and properties of a disjointed aerial/etc move, while STILL being functional toward getting conversions.
We want Link to have conversions. He has them.
We want Link to get kills off them. He can do that.
We DO NOT want Link to get those off of things that already function as a core of his game, because getting conversions into kills off single hits out of neutral and long combos and mobility and chase-down is NOT a core of his game.

If someone can understand what I said on the last page about turning the Macro-Game into a Micro-Game, then you'll know EXACTLY where Link sits, why, and why whatever happens to him turns out the way it does.

Does he need buffs? It has nothing to do with projectiles or speed. There are other elements in play.
Make his F-Tilt slightly bigger or something?
It doesn't convert to major kills or combos, while still functioning as a counter-approach option that can be used both aggressively and defensively, that both parties can play around without being hindered by it due to it having enough counter-play from the other side, and fits into all areas from punishes to neutral without changing his core game-plan or the core game-plan of opponents against him the way things like a Rang-of-Free or Grab-from-Space or Bomb-like-Flash could.
Could work as random example of a way of making Link better without breaking things.
These add up.
But... does he need buffs? It has nothing to do with projectiles or speed. There are other elements in play.

To combo some things about Marth and Bowser and early comments from @ Warhawk Warhawk @ T tasteless gentleman and @ Player -0 Player -0

Marth has never been a gate-keeper in Project M, to start. This has been a silly misconception since the dawn of PM and the way it still lingers today is absurd. As I mentioned in a massive rant about Melee-High Tiers and their position in PM not too long ago, TL and Samus are bigger gate-keepers than anyone, Marth isn't even close to them when getting characters off the ground and catching jumpers is a bigger factor than any DD game could be. If it isn't established yet that there's more to this game than swords and dashes than the best I can do is point to the last big discussions here about why Mario works at all in this game and hope things turn around eventually.

The other end of this on both a smaller scale time-wise and population-wise, is the silliness of Bowser from 3.0 to 3.5 to 3.6b to 3.6.
The 3.6b (NOT 3.6) patch was the best thing that ever happened to Bowser, very observable in every possible way. This was noted, discussed decently, but it disappeared just as quickly as the complaints about 'bad things happened' to Bowser as if the patch was a negative thing, and is apparently seen as a 'bad time' in PM's patch history for Bowser. PM didn't do anything 'wrong' in the patch, the DT didn't 'screw up' with Bowser, no mistakes were made no matter how you want to look at it or how people see it, because that simply doesn't make sense with what actually happened, what was actually HAPPENING as it happened.
You're all completely blind if you think that stuff was negative in any way. Everyone from @ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds switching to say Bowser was in a bad spot, as if the lack of strength as a character in PM was more important than the position he was as a character at all (not completely of course, but the focus shifted far too much in expressible form at the least), to people straight up calling Bowser out as needing major help in the light of him being ruined as poor decisions were made by the DT with patching him in 3.6b (which was not the case at all as I guess some see now where it has gone), to apparently some of the community even needing a post from @cmart herself about why these things happened. If that message was just to clarify certain things whether for composure or explanation or anything OTHER than for the sake of it being nice to know what's behind the scenes, then that's just the community being exactly as the smart-badge of the week (NWRL and mimgrim) roughly pointed to recently, a bunch of ignorant children or drunk adolescence or blind and reacting.

With any of that, it doesn't really matter. Simply the fact that people could be frustrated or think PM did something 'wrong' with 3.6b Bowser with the things AT THE TIME they were in the game in 3.6b, is absolutely laughable and superfluous given how observable things clearly were the best they've ever been with the character. If you wanted to see this in a clean-slate kind of way, then you'll notice in hindsight that some see this, and at the time, some saw it, but throughout this whole time there was a lot of shifting and questioning done. It's pathetic to see this.
3.6b was the best state Bowser had ever been to-date. If you can't see that, you have no reason to be posting about complaints about characters. If you can see that, welcome to being the leaders of the community when it comes to fluency and comprehension. Lets hope others get on your page.

You're all scrubs.
In a good way.
It's easy, we got this.

Fun game, this life thing.
Fun context for it, this PM thing.

Edit: Also, I'd be really surprised if someone could come up with a better way to make CF a funner and more interesting character than what I said above.
I'm serious about that. lol

Edit: Fixed patch #
3.6 Bowser was the good Bowser, not 3.5 or 3.6b, hope it makes more sense now.
@ Frost | Odds Frost | Odds @cmart @ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd @ T tasteless gentleman @ Player -0 Player -0 and whoever else was discussing Bowser.

Last edited:

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman
Oh right, let's complain about Falcon Keepo

Last time I played vs a Falcon I went Fox and Falcon dittos because everything else is just boring af

Can we make it so Falcon does a fix Falcon Punch after exactly 1 minute so matches become more tense and when the clock strikes 7:05 for example you better start a sacred combo and stop dash dancing like a stupid f**k!!!!!11

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
It's weird to see a Squirtle complaining about Falcon's mobility lol. That ****** is the most annoying thing to hit for characters without grounded moves

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
It's weird to see a Squirtle complaining about Falcon's mobility lol. That ****** is the most annoying thing to hit for characters without grounded moves
He's not complaining about mobility, he just wants whoever it was he was playing against to stop just dash dancing cause I assume that's all they did

Falcon punch every minute would be hilarious though

CELTiiC

Dong 2 Strong
NNID
TBGCELTiiC
3DS FC
3840-7097-4621
So if there's one thing, can we fix dk options of getting down https://youtu.be/_3xv28lJacQ?t=867 :.(
I cry everytime
If you smash DI up eventually you'll be able to get an Up B out before he can hit you again and try to escape to the ledge / platform / stage. Otherwise continue to DI offstage so that he can't get footing under him. I feel you though about not wanting to go off stage versus Link without a jump, but sometimes you have too.

Last edited:

NWRL

Smash Ace
To kind of springboard off of @ Nausicaa Nausicaa s point about Link

Link is already playable at highest level in PM currently. HeroOfTime got 5th place with a character that is "bad"

What happens when we buff the character like you guys want? Will he start winning majors instead of getting 5th?

EDIT:

The DT is definitely moving in the right direction with their patches, whether or not the community agrees is a different thing.

Everyone keeps talking about overbearing characters in the game right now, but who is really overbearing at this stage in the meta? Fox? Falco?

Top 8 at LTC3 was

Diddy/Ganon
ROB
Marth/Falco (I honestly forgot who Axe played)
Lucario
Link
Ivysaur
Ike
Wario

Top 8 at The Summit was

Ike
Fox/Falco
Pikachu
Wario
Falcon/Fox
Falcon/Ganon
Dong Kong
Snake

We see Ganon twice, Ike twice, Fox twice, Falcon twice, Falco twice, Wario twice. Along with characters who are "bad" like Pikachu, Ivysaur and DK

Are any of these characters really overbearing? We see 10 different characters in top 8 at LTC3, and 9 different characters at the Summit. That seems pretty healthy to me

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Warning Received
To kind of springboard off of @ Nausicaa Nausicaa s point about Link

Link is already playable at highest level in PM currently. HeroOfTime got 5th place with a character that is "bad"

What happens when we buff the character like you guys want? Will he start winning majors instead of getting 5th?
The world may never know that tiers are ****

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
3.5 was the best state Bowser had ever been to-date. If you can't see that, you have no reason to be posting about complaints about characters. If you can see that, welcome to being the leaders of the community when it comes to fluency and comprehension. Lets hope others get on your page.
It's probably the strongest he's been to date, but it was not fun to play against.

Either way, that rant was pretty uncalled-for.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
You dont think 3.6 is stronger/better?
Design wise it's better, but 3.5 was stronger in terms of power.

3.6 is MILES above 3.6b, but it's not quite 3.5 level. It discards a lot of 3.5 stuff in favor of what people consider to be better, more intuitive design. Also a bit more fun injected in, both to play as and to fight, in theory.

Seems to be working.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I've said before enough times but eh.

I don't have that much of a problem with Fox as a whole aside from how good he can force approaches despite how good he is at approaching. But that should be an easy fix, give blaster less range and that shouldn't mess with core Fox.

But I still absolutely hate Melee Shine but NOT because of thecharacter it attatched to. So get rid of any preconcieved notion that I hate Melee Shine because of Fox, Falco, and Wolf and that the reason I want to change the move is because I want to hurt these characters because that is not my point at all. I believe Melee Shine to be bad design. No move should ever be that safe, that varied, and that rewarding on any character.

But it will never get changed anyway so I've tried to stop ranting about it. Lol

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
It's probably the strongest he's been to date, but it was not fun to play against.

Either way, that rant was pretty uncalled-for.
I think I may have had the patches mixed up there.

I was talking about the 3.6b Bowser but said 3.5, the one that was 'the worst in the game' was the good one that got the hate.
My bad on the patches, hope that makes sense now. It was totally called for, but I messed up the #, get it now?

Edit: Fixed the # on the initial post.

Last edited:

BS_Shane

Smash Rookie
So umm... A DK main is complaining about auto-death if he gets grabbed? He grabbed you more than you grabbed him. That's why he won. Both characters get huge punishes off grabs and are in a hugely favorable position when below their opponent. He outplayed you so he both got more grabs (and got more out of them, you really messed up a ton of your punishes) and kept you in the air more. That's the matchup. Outplay him so you're not always above him.

Also what was that attempted grab follow up you had JUST before the up air string you linked? You can't complain about Link up airing you when literally seconds before that, you got absolutely nothing out of a grab and couldn't even hit an up air yourself. I didn't even watch the whole set and I saw tons of similar moments where you should have gotten way more off of a grab. You definitely need a consistent punish game as DK in order to beat a Link player of that caliber. Link is just as much combo food for DK as DK is for Link. DK's punish game just takes a little more precision in that matchup, that's all. However, level of difficulty isn't a factor when considering tier stuff because if that was the case then fox would be low tier. :bee:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
I think I may have had the patches mixed up there.

I was talking about the 3.6 Bowser but said 3.5, the one that was 'the worst in the game'
My bad on the patches, hope that makes sense now. It was totally called for, but I messed up the #, get it now?
I played other characters for 3.6b because I wanted to win tournaments; not because I didn't think his design was superior to previous versions.

No matter how much you like a character's design, it doesn't necessarily make it tournament viable.

There was an awful lot of negativity/unfortunate whining about 3.6b in any case. I found it as frustrating as anyone.

Last edited:

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I played other characters for 3.6b because I wanted to win tournaments; not because I didn't think his design was superior to previous versions.

No matter how much you like a character's design, it doesn't necessarily make the tournament viable.

There was an awful lot of negativity/unfortunate whining about 3.6b in any case. I found it as frustrating as anyone.
Exactly
That's why I said exactly "as if the lack of strength as a character in PM was more important than the position he was as a character at all (not completely of course, but the focus shifted far too much in expressible form at the least)"
lol

We're on the same page with that, I'm sure you'd understand the root of the rant with another step back.

Edit: Fixing the # again, 3.6b IS the one I'm talking about but I said 3.6 raw as if it came first.
mah gawd # r hard

Great. Now I feel like my post is going to just be dismissed simply because Nausicaa gave it a seal of approval. Lol.
I will seal this post with approval too.
Lick, slap on spot-light, shined into the night sky in a smash symbol

Last edited:

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice
So umm... A DK main is complaining about auto-death if he gets grabbed? He grabbed you more than you grabbed him. That's why he won. Both characters get huge punishes off grabs and are in a hugely favorable position when below their opponent. He outplayed you so he both got more grabs (and got more out of them, you really messed up a ton of your punishes) and kept you in the air more. That's the matchup. Outplay him so you're not always above him.

Also what was that attempted grab follow up you had JUST before the up air string you linked? You can't complain about Link up airing you when literally seconds before that, you got absolutely nothing out of a grab and couldn't even hit an up air yourself. I didn't even watch the whole set and I saw tons of similar moments where you should have gotten way more off of a grab. You definitely need a consistent punish game as DK in order to beat a Link player of that caliber. Link is just as much combo food for DK as DK is for Link. DK's punish game just takes a little more precision in that matchup, that's all. However, level of difficulty isn't a factor when considering tier stuff because if that was the case then fox would be low tier. :bee:
Thats dk's design for followups I also played really bad v hero of time( like worse then I usually play a lot of pressure to take my first tourney over one of the top 10 in the game), but the fact link gets more out of one grab then dk imo is kinda of absurd the sense his neutral game is atleast 2x better then dks and gets more out of grab then we do is just mind boggling.
tl:dr I was messing up harder due to pressure of beating hero of time, link neutral and punish off grab is harder then dks, either forced off stage and edge guarded or comboed to 120 depending if there is a top plat ( in the case of ps2 there isnt one to escape to)

BS_Shane

Smash Rookie
TL;DR Fix DK so I can win tournaments when I'm playing bad

Edit: Link also doesn't get more than DK off of a grab. It's just Hero of Time's Link gets more off of a grab than your DK

Last edited:

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
Hey man, I used to do the same thing with Olimar and my complaints have often been dismissed as "those are Olimar's character traits."

Just do that lmao

Last edited:

DiZZ

Smash Apprentice

Edit: Link also doesn't get more than DK off of a grab. It's just Hero of Time's Link gets more off of a grab than your DK
Not really but think what you want when uair juggles to 120

Top Bottom