• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

jtm94

Smash Lord
Played against Squirtle all day yesterday. We've played multiple times and I was playing decent, but I've never had such a hard time doing anything to a character. He reminds me of some Sonic/Sheik combo can with armor and tiny hurtboxes with a recovery that KOs GnW at 80.

I used to think that MU was in my favor until he stopped running into my attacks. Then I realized how bad most Squirtle mains are and how decent the character still is contrary to the whining. Dtilt to fair and Dthrow were KOing me at sub 100 all day and my fsmash wasn't KOing until 120%. Same with nair. Also his recovery... man the hitbox. I've never had such a hard time punishing someone when they don't sweetspot. Gonna be grinding amazing SDI because it's the only way I can not die stupid early to the character. The Sheik MU wasn't much better because grabbing him is near impossible. Does anyone beat this stupid turtle for free?? I feel like they should the way the mains throw around how bad he is.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Samus probably gives him the huge dong, if it's not a very ridiculously large stage that she's getting gg camped on?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
idk, sonic gets to no-scope her recovery and chase her up to kill her off the top.

he doesn't have sword legs anymore but upair is still gr8 and he can run his way around her. her CC game probably saves her, but once she's up there it feels like he juggles her pretty well.

I played it a lil' bit with Fizzle's Samus and won it on various stages. She should ban low cielings for sure though. one baited up B OoS has her eat it for a while. Also if she's forced to tether, oh man.

@Vashimus: idk i am probably biased. hanky basically terrorizes this side of the midwest. i wish he travelled more. only player i remember him having trouble with is Lordy and iirc he still took that set oh and fizzle before he cracked the Ivysaur MU code (and she got worse)

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I'm against squirtle bashing and have endorsed the little fellow as "at least not low tier" for a long time.

The good news is people's opinions here don't change how well squirtle can still do in real life.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Meh, if the topic is Samus vs. Sonic, I don't really have a lot of experience.
Sonic can run circles around Samus if she doesn't try to do anything besides zoning though, and either can rack up good combos off simple things. Samus has a lot of hitboxes that just break through Sonic's moves though, so I'd call it even, maybe a small advantage to Samus due to her fire moves burning through Sonic. It all comes down to the neutral game.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I think Squirtle is amazing, the amount of tech skill to play him optimally is insane though.
This is ******** and I'm tired of hearing this lol

Squirtle players are just bad, Squirtle tech is mostly overrated and isn't even that hard. His best tech is also the easiest.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Meh, if the topic is Samus vs. Sonic, I don't really have a lot of experience.
Sonic can run circles around Samus if she doesn't try to do anything besides zoning though, and either can rack up good combos off simple things. Samus has a lot of hitboxes that just break through Sonic's moves though, so I'd call it even, maybe a small advantage to Samus due to her fire moves burning through Sonic. It all comes down to the neutral game.
Samus can just stay in her little corner of the map and spam missiles, every time sonic hits her she can just mash nair or Crouch cancel. I don't even think it's close.

Warzenschwein

Smash Journeyman

Squirtle players are just bad, Squirtle tech is mostly overrated and isn't even that hard. His best tech is also the easiest.
Where are all these bad Squirtle players coming from anyway, he doesn't really seem to be a popular choice.

Is it just people still hoping to get easy withdraw sp@mz?

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord

there is nothing over rated about the approach options he gets out of his wavedash/waveland, shffl, and shellsling shffl,
or his grab game,
or some of his kill confirms,
or his recovery disjoint,
or general mobility,
or his gimp game

hydro watever moves are super overrated, but have niche uses that can be great if the squirtle player actually has the fundamentals to play squirtle properly in the first place.

He's a character who can wavedash zone like luigi,
cross up and control space with shffls like falcon,
confirm into fairs like sheik,
edgeguard like some gross falcon/sheik hybrid,
and has one of the better grab games in the game.

and then there are tools like watergun which are underutilized and under rated which people don't even consider.

yea, squirtle tech isn't hard, what's hard is consistently playing precise enough in neutral to not get caught and murdered, but that's the player's issue, not squirtle's. He is equipped with enough that he's not in a tier with bowser lol.

I agree that squirtle players are bad.

edit: to clarify I'm not implying that you said he's in bowser tier, i just saw that somewhere

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Where are all these bad Squirtle players coming from anyway, he doesn't really seem to be a popular choice.

Is it just people still hoping to get easy withdraw sp@mz?
Its the same with Pikachu and Kirby too. Bad players are naturally attracted to the cuter characters. Squirtle is easy af, super small and fast, who cares if he lacks range when he can punish you every time time for whiffing

~Dad~

part time gay dad
there is nothing over rated about the approach options he gets out of his wavedash/waveland, shffl,
my b I didn't realize that was Squirtman tech

shellsling
or his grab game,
or some of his kill confirms,
or his recovery disjoint,
or general mobility,
or his gimp game
no **** dude

and then there are tools like watergun which are underutilized and under rated which people don't even consider.
see: me or Zwarm

I agree that squirtle players are bad.
ayyy there we go :colorful:

why did you even make this post lol

didds

Smash Lord
my b I didn't realize that was Squirtman tech

no **** dude

see: me or Zwarm

ayyy there we go :colorful:

why did you even make this post lol
yea this was prolly wrongly directed at you, the post was more of in general "there's no way he is bottom 4" talk.

too many tier lists where he's grouped with characters like bowser and olimar, which is a joke.

I'm glad that the key to a squirtle players heart is to acknowledge that squirtle players suck

I definitely in the moment read it as, squirtle is overrated, which was wrong

Last edited:

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I want to see everyone of you noob Squirtle players do 5 SH Fair WLs in row by recording your TV

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I didn't use Bowser, I used a 9k

..people pry don't know him anymore =(, new people don't know anybody

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
The Ganons and Bowsers and stuff HATE [Sheik]
Not really. I would rather fight sheik every single round in a bracket than have to face a single Marth who knew what he was doing in the matchup.

I thought we left ___-canceled projectiles back in 3.02, but apparently we haven't quite learned our lesson yet.
Can't Diddy and Luigi still do it too?

but goddamn how many [insert x launcher here] -> upair times x -> side knee do I have to see before people notice? Wake up sheeple! Also wow that dair.
Yeah. Falcon is dumb.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Sheik is a significantly worse matchup for Bowser than Marth though.
Bowser may be better than Melee, he still gets horribly bodied by Sheik.
Meanwhile, if Bowser lives to 100 in the Marth MU he can do pretty much what he wants.

GabPR

Smash Lord
Samus has a bit of an advantage in neutral, but in terms of punishes Sonic comes out ahead since he can combo and edgeguard her better than most of the cast.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Samus has a bit of an advantage in neutral, but in terms of punishes Sonic comes out ahead since he can combo and edgeguard her better than most of the cast.
What do you mean? Samus and Bowser are the easiest characters to combo in the whole game. Everyone can combo Samus if they can get a good hit. Heck, Samus is all about the combos, she combos the whole cast and gets comboed by the whole cast with the same ease.

Regarding punishes, I don't really know much about Sonic, so I can't say that he gets a lot of easy things. But Samus does have her fair share of combo starters, most of them outranging Sonic's normals, and it's not like Samus can't find ways to land a killer move against Sonic.

Whoever gets the first good hit can easily make it count, so Samus edge in neutral gives her a huge advantage. However, Sonic can pressure her easier, so I'm calling it a 5.5 in Samus favor.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Really? Samus is easy to combo? Guess getting naired and cc'd is just something on my end.

But seriously, I find Samus incredibly hard to combo due the aforementioned, not to mention how hard it is to get a chance to combo her in the first place due her good neutral.

Not gonna talk about a mu with characters I don't play. Nair tho.

Foo

Smash Lord
I'm not sure which statement is more fraudulent, samus being easy to combo, or samus being good at comboing the whole cast.

Top Bottom