• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
a kill throw that rivals peach's automatically means you don't have bad kill options

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I guess ness and peach don't have kill throws either considering theirs are very similar in strength.

Spluvin

Smash Cadet
What characters are considered top 5 nowadays? I want to know what characters to invest time into.

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Squirtle kills fine
I'm not going to pretend my DI is flawless but fthrow fair is more reliable than a lot of characters' setups.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Squirtle: He is an OG Buster. He will slap your **** silly

Captain Falcon: He is not a Buster (every game but Smash 4).

I propose that Captain Falcon be permanently considered > than Squirtle

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
@Umbreon really succinctly described how I feel playing against Sonic and Squirtle, lol. The difference in previous versions to this (for Sonic at least) is that I know that Sonic actually has to engage with me more than a few times before I get hit and basically don't get to play.

Squirtle does that, but is also small as **** so sometimes it's hard to get a hold of the little ******. When I do, it feels pretty good though. : )

Part of me is pretty skeptical of Sheik in top tier, much like how I feel about how most people feel about Sheik in Melee. I know that she's good, but idk it still feels like you have to know too much with her and adjust your ranges to catch so many things. And she doesn't have the recovery to support it. The Ganons and Bowsers and stuff HATE her, but idk they're not super relevant to begin with.

But man continuing on my train of engaging with characters. I wanna have a conversation about that ************ Wolf, man. I thought we left ___-canceled projectiles back in 3.02, but apparently we haven't quite learned our lesson yet. Every time I see a Wolf jump at me, shoot a stupid laser and AD backwards, I think of more elaborate ways to commit sudoku. Idk, people complain about Snake being a snore-fest to engage with and you die and get blown up or whatever...

but goddamn how many [insert x launcher here] -> upair times x -> side knee do I have to see before people notice? Wake up sheeple! Also wow that dair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'd Move Roy where Diddy is, Diddy where Snake is, and Snake where Roy is. Snake is top tier.
Roy is EASILY top tier in this game. I also don't see how snake is top tier when he has a pretty crappy neutral game compared to other characters due to his sluggish mobility. He doesn't even have his incredibly OP punish game anymore lol.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
>3.0 >M2 top tier
>3.5 >Roy top tier

PM: Started from the bottom now we here

D

Deleted member

a few things-

snake is blatantly not top tier with that neutral game, just no

roy is blatantly top tier this version

id have a very hard time believing that wolf is anything but tops as well

sheik is likely tops but she has a much harder time at it because her game plan has to change from match to match and its a lot of a burden on the sheik player to change your focus over and over in different matchups through multiple rounds

part of why fox is so stupid is that hes the exact opponent and can roll the same **** all day regardless of his opponents or stages

imo top tier is fox wolf sheik roy atm, i dont see anyone being close to them, but of those i would put fox as #1 and sheik as #4

just imo

GabPR

Smash Lord
My problem with sonic is that he basically loses to any lingering hitbox. I'm not joking, its pretty bad.

Sonic is actually one of my many pockets that I play in friendlies, I love him and I think he's pretty good but that one thing alone REALLY bothers me.
I can say this would be Sanics main weakness. Ever fought a good kirby or luigy? (Even a decent one) its not imposible but you have to be 5 times more patient and dem nair combo breakers and bairs can make any good day a relatively bad one.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
imo top tier is fox wolf sheik roy atm, i dont see anyone being close to them, but of those i would put fox as #1 and sheik as #4

just imo
Falco -> Sheik?

Where do you have him at, like #5... #6? worse? I'm pretty interested in your appraisal of the character.

--- Refinement of previous list:

Top: Fox, Falco(?), Wolf, Roy
High: Samus, TL, ROB, Sheik, Yoshi, Ike, Snake, Peach, Falcon, Lucario
U. Mid: Diddy, Mario, ZSS, Mewtwo, Marth, Wario, Sonic, DDD, MK, Lucas, Luigi
L. Mid: GnW, Charizard, Ness, Ganondorf, Kirby, Link, Pikachu, Pit, Jigglypuff, DK, Ivysaur, Zelda
Low: Squirtle, Bowser
Need Fixed: Ice Climbers (somewhere in the Mids when fixed), Olimar (???)

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
What? Luigi has Luigi's wavedash and he's not that good. Coincidentally, the dude is still better than Squirtle.

I don't get it.
but its with captains air speed.

EDIT: also squirtle is one of the best tech chasers in the game. shellshifting by itself can cover almost all of your options.

and he has kill options. fair, usmash, dthrow and up b are all p reliable

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Squirtle kills fine
I'm not going to pretend my DI is flawless but fthrow fair is more reliable than a lot of characters' setups.
That's 3.02 footage. It's way easier to DI fair now. You can literally DI this move so that you're sent straight up so it doesnt kill unless they **** up or you get them at higher percents

Squirtle's only move that's generally guaranteed to kill at about 100ish is usmash

Srsly, having to get people to above 120% for most of your solid kills is bad kill options.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Uh, how many characters kill guaranteed below 120%? Even Fox has to wait until 100-ish with usmash.

EDIT: Changelog says nothing about Squirtle's fair changing from 3.02 to 3.5. His only aerial that got tweaked was his dair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Falco -> Sheik?

Where do you have him at, like #5... #6? worse? I'm pretty interested in your appraisal of the character.
like falco is still top 10 material but i think he's the worst of the spacies currently. the new top tiers are very ground movement based and lasers arent nearly as good as they are in melee for several reasons (similar to why marth isn't as good actually, same reasons). falco is also increasingly dependent on landing shines for conversions but that's just really hard atm when your top charas are like fox roy wolf etc. i would put sheik above falco even if sheik didn't obliterate half the cast for free which she totally does.

didds

Smash Lord
I know this much, squirtles won't have much success until his mains start edgeguarding like melee sheik.. like his offstage game is stupid good and I never see it being used in Squirtle matches. Not to mention he can shell sling out to the stage border, dj bair and still make it back. This is part of the reason that I see the Ganon mu as even. I'd have to try really hard to allow a ganon to recover after getting him off stage. It's almost brain dead.

Rizner

Smash Ace
like falco is still top 10 material but i think he's the worst of the spacies currently. the new top tiers are very ground movement based and lasers arent nearly as good as they are in melee for several reasons (similar to why marth isn't as good actually, same reasons). falco is also increasingly dependent on landing shines for conversions but that's just really hard atm when your top charas are like fox roy wolf etc. i would put sheik above falco even if sheik didn't obliterate half the cast for free which she totally does.
What are the reasons for lasers not being as good? Just that other characters have better movement options?

hamyojo

Smash Ace
What are the reasons for lasers not being as good? Just that other characters have better movement options?
Stages are bigger, most characters are faster than Melee characters. You can jump around the lasers so you can't get pinned down now, basically.

Bazkip

Smash Master
The Ganons and Bowsers and stuff HATE her
When I read this I imagined an article on one of those crappy sites that's like "This Sheik main found ONE WEIRD trick to being top tier. Ganons and Bowsers hate her!".

And then the content of the article is just ten pictures of the Z button.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

bigger stages, stronger counterpicks, higher opportunity cost of forfeiting stage because the cast is more potent at aggression, much less reward, etc etc etc, it adds up. lasers are still good but they're not the "always win neutral forever" that they were in melee

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
When I read this I imagined an article on one of those crappy sites that's like "This Sheik main found ONE WEIRD trick to being top tier. Ganons and Bowsers hate her!".

And then the content of the article is just ten pictures of the Z button.
Doctor's HATE him! Secret to anti-aging revealed!

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Well at least Juushichi still thinks Peach is high, and that makes me happy.

D-throw > DACUS nets kills super early for her against most of the cast. It's one of her biggest buffs from Melee and people definitely need to use it more.

Last edited:

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
I agree that Roy is good, just not sure if I'm buying him being on effectively spacie-level. Particular matchups/stages in general just seem to get so much uglier for him.
Considering that, right off the bat he has to worry about getting camped makes me question the notion that he could be truly dominant on the same level.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Why is this turning into the PMS thread...?

I still think giving a match up spread for your main (with explanations) is far better then giving a list with 30+ other characters that you will likely have no idea about regarding how they play and cause a discussion about misconceptions, "lol, you don't know [character]" and whatnot. Then, one can check how good a character's MU spread is and work from there to make a tier list. But that's just me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Well at least Juushichi still thinks Peach is high, and that makes me happy.

D-throw > DACUS nets kills super early for her against most of the cast. It's one of her biggest buffs from Melee and people definitely need to use it more.
It doesn't work against DI behind.

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Why is this turning into the PMS thread...?

I still think giving a match up spread for your main (with explanations) is far better then giving a list with 30+ other characters that you will likely have no idea about regarding how they play and cause a discussion about misconceptions, "lol, you don't know [character]" and whatnot. Then, one can check how good a character's MU spread is and work from there to make a tier list. But that's just me.
Technically the matchup chart option is the most efficient, but then... you have to chart over 800 individual matchups in a way everybody's comfortable with.

EDIT: And by the time you're halfway done 4.0 is out lmao

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Peach isn't that fast lol. Don't you think Armada would be doing that in Melee if it were a thing? D-throw matches Melee in 3.5.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Update: I thought we were talking about Sheik, not Peach. My reading today is bad, thank you and good night

Bazkip

Smash Master
With PAL release are we also gonna get the rest of PAL Fox?

Or at the very least PAL Fire Fox

Last edited:
Top Bottom