• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Get over it. Ganondorf first used a sword in Wind Waker, released a full year after Melee. Smash Ganondorf, especially PM Ganondorf, is truer to the OoT incarnation that first gave rise to his Smash appearance than a sword-wielding Ganondorf. His moveset design is fine.
I said I actually liked PM Ganondorf because it was closer to its roots and that made me want to actually bother trying to learn how to play him in PM.

I disagreed with the Smash in general part, since well, Falcondorf exists.

So, how about Samus? Is she doing better? Is she any good?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I said I actually liked PM Ganondorf because it was closer to its roots and that made me want to actually bother trying to learn how to play him in PM.

I disagreed with the Smash in general part, since well, Falcondorf exists.

So, how about Samus? Is she doing better? Is she any good?
Well, i think her tether was nerfed (?) Then the general tether nerf came in and ice mode took some hits... shes prob weaker than she was before

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Samus is weaker than 3.0 samus if you put them side by side, but in 3.5 I think samus is actually really good.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Samus is a super polarizing character. She's good vs Melee vets so she probably deserves a top half spot, but shell always have bad MU's.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Tether nerfed slightly, she may have to bomb jump one more time to get back to the stage :rolleyes:.

D-Smash is still good, recoveries nerfed, easier gimps.
That jump you gotta do, if someone has ledge is a big nerf...
Unless she can still do some sorta tricks with it

The_NZA

Smash Lord
Lucario doesn't exactly have that good of a neutral as of now. Without charges it's kinda like having your pants down in a prison shower block. Third shortest wavedash, horrible DACUS, and high commitment spacing moves. Aura Sphere also loses distance with charge.
I highly contest the idea that lucario has a bad neutral game. Aura sphere is good, hits into side b on shield is good, down b is good, and now lucario's shield is decent. This character's neutral game was never bad, it was simply not understood. In all the sparring i've done with Khanye, i've seen an incredible neutral game with a lot of momentum cancelling and changes unleashed. Aura sphere cancelling and regular aura usage adds a lot to complicate Lucario's neutral game.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I highly contest the idea that lucario has a bad neutral game. Aura sphere is good, hits into side b on shield is good, down b is good, and now lucario's shield is decent. This character's neutral game was never bad, it was simply not understood. In all the sparring i've done with Khanye, i've seen an incredible neutral game with a lot of momentum cancelling and changes unleashed. Aura sphere cancelling and regular aura usage adds a lot to complicate Lucario's neutral game.
I did say as of now. Lots of his known charge applications are still underdeveloped. Not sure what you mean by momentum cancelling. That was a Brawl thing that reduced knockback. ASC isn't a neutral tool like you're thinking if what I'm understanding is correct. ASC is a tool used to reset to neutral faster. Yes his charges really heighten his neutral game, but without them he's more limited given his advanced movement options are pretty poor.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I did say as of now. Lots of his known charge applications are still underdeveloped. Not sure what you mean by momentum cancelling. That was a Brawl thing that reduced knockback. ASC isn't a neutral tool like you're thinking if what I'm understanding is correct. ASC is a tool used to reset to neutral faster. Yes his charges really heighten his neutral game, but without them he's more limited given his advanced movement options are pretty poor.
Have you seen Lucarios mix between down b approaches, and b reversed ASC to create unpredictable movement in neutral? He has some NICE mobility and movement tools in neutral. I'm not sure where all of the claims of him being bad in that phase of the game come from. It just seems like people being dismissive without truly understanding.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Who needs advanced movement options when you have such an excellent dash? With evasive dashdancing and counterpokes alone he's far from deficient in neutral, it's just that he doesn't force his way in unless he has a charge (but he can still force his way in, which is more than plenty of other characters can say).
Doesn't hurt that he can pretty much poke at shields without any fear of retribution, with or without a charge, and has a projectile that can help force shielding.

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Have you seen Lucarios mix between down b approaches, and b reversed ASC to create unpredictable movement in neutral? He has some NICE mobility and movement tools in neutral. I'm not sure where all of the claims of him being bad in that phase of the game come from. It just seems like people being dismissive without truly understanding.
You mean wavebounce AS? ASC is the term we Lucarios use to cancel something like jab, DA, fair, etc. into AS to reset to neutral faster. However just throwing them out isn't a good thing. You can get punished pretty hard if you just throw out DT. An active hitbox at the end of it will punish you hard. His other spacing options (fsmash and AS on the ground) are very punishable because of the lag. What you're thinking about are these burst movement options, or committing to a wavebounce, to throw you off. DT always goes a set distance without charge.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Who needs advanced movement options when you have such an excellent dash? With evasive dashdancing and counterpokes alone he's far from deficient in neutral, it's just that he doesn't force his way in unless he has a charge (but he can still force his way in, which is more than plenty of other characters can say).
Doesn't hurt that he can pretty much poke at shields without any fear of retribution, with or without a charge, and has a projectile that can help force shielding.
Most of Lucario's options are minus on shield. Try buffering your rolls. AS loses distance with charge, and has plenty of punishable end lag. BAS is the best pressure option out of AS. You got the part about not forcing in unless he has a charge right. It's because his other options aren't the useful outside of something involving dash.

PsionicSabreur

Smash Journeyman
Most of Lucario's options are minus on shield. Try buffering your rolls. AS loses distance with charge, and has plenty of punishable end lag. BAS is the best pressure option out of AS. You got the part about not forcing in unless he has a charge right. It's because his other options aren't the useful outside of something involving dash.
Are you sure that they're significantly minus on shield even with cancels? I also didn't say he has true blockstrings, what I meant was that most pokes chain directly into strong mixups or DT away, among other things (forcing your opponent to bail w/ buffered rolls all the time is a strength, not a weakness). As Lucario's opponent you can never really expect to get an OoS punish, and that means you have to be evasive (he can probably match or exceed this with a good DD) or wall him out.

He does have reliable pokes with proper spacing, too. Even little things like SH instant fair (3 frame JS + 4 frame fair is a frame 7 hitbox, right?) can help by cancelling off of a shield into DT away, or DT in should you get a direct hit or read an attempted roll/shield grab. Ground pokes are a similar story, although I guess you need to be more careful spacing out grab ranges.

In general, here's how I see his neutral game:
Good dash speed and at least a few noncommittal pokes form the essentials, and let Lucario avoid throwing out attacks if he doesn't really want to, which is important given that he is most vulnerable on whiff.
A lot of his fast pokes have decent range but poor disjoint (dtilt, ftilt, fair, bair) and are most useful as counterpokes, which also plays heavily into the style of evasive DDing. If your opponent responds to this and wants to bait out a whiff by hanging back, then you have AS to deal with that. Not having overwhelming pressure/conversions out of neutral is a problem for him, but I definitely don't see Lucario's combination of tools as being lacking or otherwise exploitable, and charges and b reverse techs can only add to all of this.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Lucario is a character who slid under the radar due to his playerbase spreading rumors, and since no one else played the character we just assumed they were telling the truth

"Lucario is hard/technical"
"Lucario doesn't have a neutral game"
"Lucario has a bad recovery"
"Lucario is low tier"
"Lucario's attacks aren't safe on shield"
"I am not a furry"

Lol nice try Lucario players but we ain't fallin for this **** anymore

GET EXPOSED

Last edited:

Zoa

Smash Ace
Are you sure that they're significantly minus on shield even with cancels? I also didn't say he has true blockstrings, what I meant was that most pokes chain directly into strong mixups or DT away, among other things (forcing your opponent to bail w/ buffered rolls all the time is a strength, not a weakness). As Lucario's opponent you can never really expect to get an OoS punish, and that means you have to be evasive (he can probably match or exceed this with a good DD) or wall him out.

He does have reliable pokes with proper spacing, too. Even little things like SH instant fair (3 frame JS + 4 frame fair is a frame 7 hitbox, right?) can help by cancelling off of a shield into DT away, or DT in should you get a direct hit or read an attempted roll/shield grab. Ground pokes are a similar story, although I guess you need to be more careful spacing out grab ranges.

In general, here's how I see his neutral game:
Good dash speed and at least a few noncommittal pokes form the essentials, and let Lucario avoid throwing out attacks if he doesn't really want to, which is important given that he is most vulnerable on whiff.
A lot of his fast pokes have decent range but poor disjoint (dtilt, ftilt, fair, bair) and are most useful as counterpokes, which also plays heavily into the style of evasive DDing. If your opponent responds to this and wants to bait out a whiff by hanging back, then you have AS to deal with that. Not having overwhelming pressure/conversions out of neutral is a problem for him, but I definitely don't see Lucario's combination of tools as being lacking or otherwise exploitable, and charges and b reverse techs can only add to all of this.
Going off of what Hylian has said, yes I'm fairly sure his options are minus on shield. I do have people buffer roll out of my pressure on shield.
Oh gee you can roll out of lucario's shield pressure?
Guess spacey's pressure is minus on shield too
Are you HONESTLY comparing OHC to shine?

Last edited:

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
You're right, Lucario's smashes have more shieldstun than shine
And they can be canceled into down B to avoid shield grabbing.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Yeah you can buffer rolls out of all of lucario shield pressure options. You can also SDI out of a lot of his strings on hit, if you're inhuman and can react to the lucario options

The same levels of reactions and sdi inputs gets you out of like, every other characters options. Spacies pressure isn't broken, just shield DI and grab them out of shine. Just SDI out of every fox drill and punish him, SDI every falcon nair too

I don't think lucario is broken, but still really silly. Counterplay requiring rediculous reaction times and SDI inputs is bad counterplay

Narpas_sword

Tether nerfed slightly, she may have to bomb jump one more time to get back to the stage :rolleyes:.

D-Smash is still good, recoveries nerfed, easier gimps.
"nerfed slightly"

It's Shorter.
Cant be canceled. so no mixup into tether or Screw attack.

it's actually pretty useless as a recovery option now (at when the opponent is in a position to edgeguard)
All it's good for is quick recovery if the opponent hasn't got into position to stop you yet.

All one needs to do is hold edge. The lag from reeling is so immense virtually any character can punish a reel in from edge.

Samus has to get close enough in order to use screw attack (which is a pretty limited move as far as recovery goes. i.e very little in the way of aiming and protection). in order to get that close, she gets rather exposed.

Ariel attacks in bomb jumps are the only real hope.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Here's just a few examples:

DT has a start up of 12 frames. Even doing an aerial -> DT has a 13 frame lapse to cross up even if it's frame perfect. OHC transitions on one frame.
AFP first grab box is on frame 11 or 12.
Attempting to do aerial -> ASC -> aerial has about a 10 frame cooldown not counting first active hitbox of the second aerial.
Usmash has a start up of 10 frames.
Dtilt has a start up of five frames.

Even with transitions, his primary shield pressure options (not counting spaced fsmash) are still not guaranteed.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Cant you just cancel moves into side b on shield though?
There's normally like 3 or 4 frames between shield stun and the grab box, everyone can just buffer a roll away.

Lucario still forces you to roll away everytime he attacks your shield, unless you have an up oos like samus where you don't have to time it on reaction to things due to invincibility.

A lot of characters can do Nairs OoS or shines OoS or up-bs/upsmashs OoS between hits of some of lucario's attacks, especially if you shield and aerial. If you shield a dash attack or d tilt though, just hold shield and reset neutral because you're not going to catch him out of fsmash>asc, you get pushed too far to grab/OoS option, he recovers before you can wd OoS to get him.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Samus is a super polarizing character. She's good vs Melee vets so she probably deserves a top half spot, but shell always have bad MU's.
"Polarizing" has become such a buzz word in these forums, people don't even know what it means anymore.

Last edited:

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
I really like those ideas, but I have some questions. What would standard picmin pluck be like without the "pikmin charge"? And while the randomness of olimar may be annoying at times, the reason why it is there is to make the player think on their feet. Are there still going to be elements of this or are you going to push for 0 randomness?
every pluck would be red and yellow in order.

yea randomness is out in a perfect world. rng doesnt make the game competitive.

supascoot

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SupaScoot
every pluck would be red and yellow in order.

yea randomness is out in a perfect world. rng doesnt make the game competitive.
Very nice, I could even see these ideas put into the game if it is possible. It would be very interesting for a character to be rewarded that well and in that way on hit, as normally characters get a reward of "sic combos yo". I also like how it would reward players for understanding the character more deeply, as you would have to know followups from different stages of pikmin. Combining this with some changes to his recovery would make me consider hovering over olimar on the CSS.

Last edited:

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think you/people who say he has a good neutral are the ones that don't understand the character and as a by-product don't play optimally vs him which leads to over-rating.

I'll preface this by saying I think lucario is a great character, but man do people have no idea what to do against him. Yes, lucario DOES have a poor neutral game, for various reasons. One of his biggest boons is his novelty and many lucario abuse that to circumvent his neutral.

Aura Sphere is decent I guess. It's ok defensively, but it's a rather slow projectile that doesn't combo into anything, doesn't do much damage, and doesn't kill. It's mostly used to edgeguard. Hits into side-b on shield is also only ok. Lucario has ZERO moves that combo into side-b on shield. Every single one can be spotdodged or rolled out of(in fact, pretty much all of his shield pressure options are negative on shield even with ASC and can be escaped quite easily). Spotdodging lucarios side-b means he's stuck in an incredibly laggy and easy to punish animation. A lot of characters can even punish it out of a roll. Down-b is good yes, but it's lost some invincibility towards the end and is easier to punish than 3.02. While lucario has a viable neutral game, he does have some of the worst approach options in the game. It's not that the options are extremely bad or anything, it's that he only has 2 consistent approach options(dash attack, down-b), and can possibly use a charge for an attempted neutral hit. Lucario only has ONE move that breaks CC, and it's a sweetspotted dtilt. He has the 3rd shortest wavedash in the game and a short grab range(not to mention his throws are all mix-ups and don't true combo on 90% of the cast). These things hurt him significantly in neutral and will often just make lucario play more defensively. He does have a good dash dance, which is his neutral games saving grace allowing him good defensive options.

Watch a player abuse CC/spotdodge/roll against lucario pressure and watch it crumble. Lucarios punish game is so insane he's an incredible character(probably top 10) but it's not his neutral that gets him there.

Oh gee you can roll out of lucario's shield pressure?
Guess spacey's pressure is minus on shield too
No..Spacies pressure is much safer and they can punish you for rolling because they don't get stuck in laggy animations when they whiff.

You're right, Lucario's smashes have more shieldstun than shine
And they can be canceled into down B to avoid shield grabbing.
No..they can't lmao. Down-b has TWELVE frames of start-up. You can certainly shieldgrab it if misspaced. It does prevent WD OoS -> grab however.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
I think you/people who say he has a good neutral are the ones that don't understand the character and as a by-product don't play optimally vs him which leads to over-rating.

I'll preface this by saying I think lucario is a great character, but man do people have no idea what to do against him. Yes, lucario DOES have a poor neutral game, for various reasons. One of his biggest boons is his novelty and many lucario abuse that to circumvent his neutral.

Aura Sphere is decent I guess. It's ok defensively, but it's a rather slow projectile that doesn't combo into anything, doesn't do much damage, and doesn't kill. It's mostly used to edgeguard. Hits into side-b on shield is also only ok. Lucario has ZERO moves that combo into side-b on shield. Every single one can be spotdodged or rolled out of(in fact, pretty much all of his shield pressure options are negative on shield even with ASC and can be escaped quite easily). Spotdodging lucarios side-b means he's stuck in an incredibly laggy and easy to punish animation. A lot of characters can even punish it out of a roll. Down-b is good yes, but it's lost some invincibility towards the end and is easier to punish than 3.02. While lucario has a viable neutral game, he does have some of the worst approach options in the game. It's not that the options are extremely bad or anything, it's that he only has 2 consistent approach options(dash attack, down-b), and can possibly use a charge for an attempted neutral hit. Lucario only has ONE move that breaks CC, and it's a sweetspotted dtilt. He has the 3rd shortest wavedash in the game and a short grab range(not to mention his throws are all mix-ups and don't true combo on 90% of the cast). These things hurt him significantly in neutral and will often just make lucario play more defensively. He does have a good dash dance, which is his neutral games saving grace allowing him good defensive options.

Watch a player abuse CC/spotdodge/roll against lucario pressure and watch it crumble. Lucarios punish game is so insane he's an incredible character(probably top 10) but it's not his neutral that gets him there.

No..Spacies pressure is much safer and they can punish you for rolling because they don't get stuck in laggy animations when they whiff.

No..they can't lmao. Down-b has TWELVE frames of start-up. You can certainly shieldgrab it if misspaced. It does prevent WD OoS -> grab however.
But it isn't a bad neutral game like people are saying. I don't think anyone is saying it's top tier, but it's average at worst. That'd be like calling Roy's speed a weakness.

Zoa

Smash Ace
I really can't comment now without being a prick. I'll just let Hylian's post say everything I wanted to say. He couldn't have summarized my points better.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
But it isn't a bad neutral game like people are saying. I don't think anyone is saying it's top tier, but it's average at worst. That'd be like calling Roy's speed a weakness.
Ding ding ding.

Lucario has at least a rly good dash dance, thank god we can accept that now and stop spreading the myth of bad neutralucario.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
I really wish I knew how iPunchKids feels about it...i feel he's the only person who really exemplifies good Lucario neutral, outside of KhanYe East (who isn't the full package yet, but man is his neutral game mean).

Bad neutral to me is Ness. Bad neutral to me is maybe game n watch. Lucario doesn't even begin to embody what I would consider "bad neutral".

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
Concensus: Falcon feels solid in 3.5/FALCON SECRETLY TOP 10
Reasons for top tier:

+In the post-3.5 aftermath, previously painful matchups are less difficult.
+Recovery is ok(better than melay so its good?)
+Can up-air non-spacies into oblivion
+Good MU vs a healthy chunk of the cast
+Crazy mobility/grab game
+Consistent kill power
+Pretty much untouched from 3.0 (minor tweaks notwithstanding)

Objections:

-Still loses hard to spacies, zard and some others. ( )
-CC still a problem
-Poor recovery. Like, really poor. Like "underneath the freeway scrounging for scraps of garbage to serve as insulation for his cardboard box house" poor. Possibly worse than Olimar.
-Gets comboed/chaingrabbed by everyone and their mother
-Gets gimped super hard

edit: Anybody know why falcon gets guaranteed knee setups past 100%? It seems a little... strange. The tech chase throw becomes a combo throw. That leads into a free knee. Crazy.

Top Bottom