• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Foo

Smash Lord
What are people looking for when they look for OoS options?

I see people saying some people's suck because they have one option (aside from the generic ones, WD OoS, OoS aerial, and stuff). I see having good range, quick, OoS aerials as being pretty good, as well as a lengthy WD OoS.
A decent shield grab, a good up b and/or upsmash relatively fast aerials out of shield that hit standing opponents etc. Having a good wavedash oos is helpful, but it's not as good.

I said falcon has bad oos because he has a bad grab, fairly bad up-b and upsmash, no viable oos aerials, and a mediocre (short but fast) wavedash (but he also has no quick ranged ground moves). Zss has bad oos because she has an ok grab, no quick aerials that hit standing opponents, terrible up-b/upsmash oos, and a good wavedash with an ok ftilt.

Roy and marth have fairly good ones with great grabs, mediocre upsmash(roy) or up-b oos(marth/roy), good aerials oos, and great wavedash with solid ground options.

Then there's stuff like frame 3 nairs or invincible up-b oos that makes for great oos characters like mario.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
The key to beating Marth is make him whiff/throw out a bad attack first.
This is really easy to say if you happen to play a character that can do that. For a lot of the cast (such as very slow characters, or ones who happen to lack a usable spotdodge, or ones with short reach, dependent on using air mobility which is very easily walled out by marth) it's simply not that easy. All the top tiers absolutely have the tools to deal with him, but the nature of his combined speed, grab, and disjoint (along with his new PM tools) makes him serve as kind of a top tier gatekeeper, similar (though obviously not nearly to the same extent) as Melee Sheik.

He's almost certainly overrated in my list due to personal salt, but putting him anywhere below top 10 is absolutely laughable. I don't often find myself in agreement with Foo, but he completely nailed it in his response to your post.

Otherwise, sure. I completely agree about Falcon.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I agree with hamyojo nearly 100%

People way overrate how much of a commitment marth's moves are. Fair walls are bad, even jumping at all is such a huge commitment. You can boil down his neutral to empty DD/WD and choking off space with Dtilt and the threat of his max range. Only Dtilt has the IASA frames to which he doesn't get punished for throwing it out occasionally (other than jab) but its easily jumped over or shot at by any projectile. The problem is that in PM there are larger stages where there is more room in which he has to choke off, higher/differently positioned platforms to escape too if you get cornered, and every character is generally more mobile and threatening in their spacing and approaching options. Movement is better across the board, he no longer has to only worry about fox and falcon out mobilizing him. Theres more projectiles to have to worry about locking him down than just falco lasers. there are more legitimate approaches than just spacie shffls and DD grabs. Characters are heavier on average, have far better high recovery options (bar tether characters), so if he doesn't catch bad DI or early gimps he wont get kills.

I also dont think he does as well vs spacies as he does in Melee, spacies always being able to ban fd AND other stages they wont want is huge, + more large stages to work with if they want to run away, and more small stages if they are winning the rush down game and want more corner carry.

I think he could be top 20, but I would never put him top 10. Yeah, he still shuts down the immobile characters hard, and the stubby hitbox characters if they don't have a good projectile or burst movement. But his punish game is inconsistent, and so many characters take his stocks easy, as he is a good combo weight with a very linear recovery. He definitely wins MU's, like Bowser, Peach, GnW, etc, but as a whole I dont feel as confident on his MU spread as I would say, Roy, M2, Samus or Diddy.

I also think there is a huge mis-understanding of what marth does/is, which is what perpetuates why its still common banter that shiek beats marth in Melee, because people see marths getting away with putting hitboxes out and jumping in neutral, so they think thats how he plays every MU, so when they do that vs sheik they get grabbed/ftilted and lose a stock or take 80% at the least. Marth has to play some MU's so incredibly differently that its like he is a different character in times going from character to character, which is another reason why I think marth doesn't get evaluated properly.

I'm not a marth main anymore, but I hang out around so many good marth players and trust them completely on how marth works (Tai, Taj, Tagless Kyle, Axe, etc all have ****ing fantastic marths). He is a character about choking down space, and he taking stocks by either quick corner carries to gimps (fast fallers/mid weights) or keeping them in the air with his stupid juggles (floaties). In both of these rough MU archetypes he can't just throw out hitboxes because stray hitboxes just wrack up %, and a lot of % doesn't help marth in how he sets up taking stocks. yeah, you can hit Falcon with Up-airs and tipper fairs all day, have fun when he hits above 90% and you cant kill him anymore until 180%.

There are so many PM characters that have those niche tools/aspects that marth just despises.

Falcon is stupid though, is stupid in Melee, just still horribly optimized (gravy is working on it, thank you based gravy) and struggles with Fox's speed/Puff ledge camping /Falco lasers. He ****s all over everyone else's attempt at pinning him down, and then kills the floaties/midweights in one combo. He air wobbles them into rest man. PM Falcon is even better combo wise, and theres less characters (ratio wise) that actually force him to be interactive in neutral

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
squirtle is good, like im pretty sure he's good. like why wouldn't he be good. right?

honestly though, gotta be off yer rocker if you think ganon is better than the squirtman.
don't let non top tier players and their technical limitations while playing a technical character cloud your judgement.

neutral is key in smash. movement and speed are love.

see the light.

the light.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I agree with hamyojo nearly 100%

A bunch of smart stuff as to why Marth is over rated

Falcon is stupid though, is stupid in Melee, just still horribly optimized (gravy is working on it, thank you based gravy) and struggles with Fox's speed/Puff ledge camping /Falco lasers. He ****s all over everyone else's attempt at pinning him down, and then kills the floaties/midweights in one combo. He air wobbles them into rest man. PM Falcon is even better combo wise, and theres less characters (ratio wise) that actually force him to be interactive in neutral
I love Laudandus so much. Falcon salt is hilarious, especially because it's more warranted than everyone realizes.
All the top tiers absolutely have the tools to deal with him, but the nature of his combined speed, grab, and disjoint (along with his new PM tools) makes him serve as kind of a top tier gatekeeper, similar (though obviously not nearly to the same extent) as Melee Sheik.
Uh, no. I think he's more a gatekeeper for skill than for tiers. Once you learn the art of how to beat Marth you have to be a fairly strong player. No slow character doesn't have the range to deal with him, and no character without range is slow. Everyone has fine tools to deal with Marth, but he does have his good MU's. Every character can bait, including...
Ganon bad, Squirt good
This is really arguable and unproven! Ganon's float sure looks like it does nothing, but it's a much better baiting tool than most of Squirtle's options! Floating just out of range with the threat of his frame 5 nair or his brutal fair is super intimidating, and if the opponent waits he can always just safely fall. A patient Ganon in 3.5 is a force to be reckoned with. I think there is tons of crazy scary trapping potential with that float. He can cover so many tech options so easy!

Squirtle is an odd case. He has an insanely high tech ceiling and if you're not already there he just feels like a bad, really tiny and useless Falcon, Luigi, Bowser hybrid. I think it's too early to tell if he's good or not, as there are literally 0 top Squirtmen. Right now, with what we know a character can do, Ganon's better. Squirtle's all theory, and a lot of that theory doesn't even look to positive for him. The fact that a character with his armor and speed struggles with sword characters is a tough start for what we do know.

Having half-educated opinions is fun.

Frost | Odds

People way overrate how much of a commitment marth's moves are. Fair walls are bad, even jumping at all is such a huge commitment. You can boil down his neutral to empty DD/WD and choking off space with Dtilt and the threat of his max range. Only Dtilt has the IASA frames to which he doesn't get punished for throwing it out occasionally (other than jab) but its easily jumped over or shot at by any projectile.
This is fair enough, but I don't think I've ever once mentioned Marth throwing out random walling moves (except in MUs where they're absolutely not punishable). You seem to be assuming that Marth has to commit before his opponent - which, in fact, is very rarely the case due to the combined threat of his extremely large dashdance and grab range, plus the additional threat of the disjoint of the sword.

The problem is that in PM there are larger stages where there is more room in which he has to choke off, higher/differently positioned platforms to escape too if you get cornered, and every character is generally more mobile and threatening in their spacing and approaching options. Movement is better across the board, he no longer has to only worry about fox and falcon out mobilizing him. Theres more projectiles to have to worry about locking him down than just falco lasers. there are more legitimate approaches than just spacie shffls and DD grabs. Characters are heavier on average, have far better high recovery options (bar tether characters), so if he doesn't catch bad DI or early gimps he wont get kills.
For characters slower than marth (most of them), the larger stages are a liability - not an asset- in the matchup. Sure, there's more room for Marth to choke off, but he can (again, in those matchups), do it much more safely than he otherwise could. You may have a point with regards to the platforms, though being above Marth is still almost never good for any character.

Regarding the heavier characters that supposedly die later, I think that's a huge, glowing red herring. Sure, they're heavier - but on average they're also floatier and larger -- against many characters, Marth has a non-reactable tipper fsmash DI mixup between fthrow and dthrow, which requires relatively precise (ie. just away won't always work -- for many characters it must be down and away), very quick DI which is simply impossible to get correctly every time Marth grabs.

For easy comparison, watch any Hungrybox video. Is this top 5 Melee player able to consistently DI behind Fox every time? What about his opponent? Is M2K, the god of frame data and practice regimes, able to consistently DI out of the uthrow->rest? Of course not - it's not always reactable.

Marth's throws are even more difficult to DI out of in PM than Jiggs/Fox's uthrows in the aforementioned matchup because not only are they of a comparable speed, but the opponent must necessarily guess which direction Marth is throwing, effectively before he even gets grabbed. Even if Marth throws for position (ie. towards the edge) every time, he's still bound to get a bunch of free tippers against an arbitrarily good human opponent.

Compounding this is the fact that though characters on average have better recoveries in PM, they're almost universally still pretty easy for Marth to gimp with some combination of his tools, but probably most notably dair.

I also dont think he does as well vs spacies as he does in Melee, spacies always being able to ban fd AND other stages they wont want is huge, + more large stages to work with if they want to run away, and more small stages if they are winning the rush down game and want more corner carry.
Inarguably correct. He probably loses convincingly to all the spacies in PM. Hell, Wolf in particular might have the tools (cough, fsmash) to punish him even harder than Fox for whiffs.

I think he could be top 20, but I would never put him top 10. Yeah, he still shuts down the immobile characters hard, and the stubby hitbox characters if they don't have a good projectile or burst movement. But his punish game is inconsistent, and so many characters take his stocks easy, as he is a good combo weight with a very linear recovery. He definitely wins MU's, like Bowser, Peach, GnW, etc, but as a whole I dont feel as confident on his MU spread as I would say, Roy, M2, Samus or Diddy.
What do you mean by "his punish game is inconsistent"? That sounds like a player skill thing; I'm extremely skeptical that Marth isn't capable of 0-deathing pretty much every member of the cast, or at least approximating it via the use of tech chases, stage control, edgeguards, etc.

I also think there is a huge mis-understanding of what marth does/is, which is what perpetuates why its still common banter that shiek beats marth in Melee, because people see marths getting away with putting hitboxes out and jumping in neutral, so they think thats how he plays every MU, so when they do that vs sheik they get grabbed/ftilted and lose a stock or take 80% at the least. Marth has to play some MU's so incredibly differently that its like he is a different character in times going from character to character, which is another reason why I think marth doesn't get evaluated.
Nailed it again. Jiggs is very similar in this regard - IMO to a much greater extreme, though, which is why she's (effectively) such a crappy character in PM; she just requires prohibitive amounts of matchup knowledge.

Marth, though, can pretty much always play the extremely non-committal DD grab game until he figures the MU out. He, at the very least, will not lose quickly.

I'm not a marth main anymore, but I hang out around so many good marth players and trust them completely on how marth works (Tai, Taj, Tagless Kyle, Axe, Taj, etc all have ****ing fantastic marths). He is a character about choking down space, and he taking stocks by either quick corner carries to gimps (fast fallers/mid weights) or keeping them in the air with his stupid juggles (floaties). In both of these rough MU archetypes he can't just throw out hitboxes because stray hitboxes just wrack up %, and a lot of % doesn't help marth in how he sets up taking stocks. yeah, you can hit Falcon with Up-airs and tipper fairs all day, have fun when he hits above 90% and you cant kill him anymore until 180%.
Obviously, those guys are all vastly better players, and more knowledgable than Marth about myself. To my knowledge, though, none of them take PM terribly seriously, and I'm not sure if they've taken the time to consider the effects that PM's physics, combined with the preponderance of larger, floatier characters, may have had on Marth's overall standing. Melee Marth and PM Marth are closely related, but I'm still not convinced that PM Marth shares all of Melee Marth's weaknesses.

That said, I think you've at least sold me on the idea that Falcon is probably better.

Uh, no. I think he's more a gatekeeper for skill than for tiers. Once you learn the art of how to beat Marth you have to be a fairly strong player. No slow character doesn't have the range to deal with him, and no character without range is slow. Everyone has fine tools to deal with Marth, but he does have his good MU's. Every character can bait, including...
I'd love to converse with you sometime when your responses are less dripping with condescension. =| If that's not your intent, my apologies. Either way, "you suck, learn to bait out fast, non-committal moves with your slow, highly committal character and then somehow punish them" really isn't productive.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I'd love to converse with you sometime when your responses are less dripping with condescension. =| If that's not your intent, my apologies. Either way, "you suck, learn to bait out fast, non-committal moves with your slow, highly committal character and then somehow punish them" really isn't productive.
Sorry, you're right. I definitely did have a pretty sharp tone. I'm just really salty after hearing so many PM players complain about Marth, and then I give them some advice, and the MU isn't so bad any more. Everyone's so knee-jerk to think he's a top 10 character when a lot of really good players (at least the ones I talk with) agree that he's mid tier or even low tier in the PM universe.

Bowser's fair has plenty range to cover what he needs to against Marth. No, I don't think it reaches as far as Marth's sword, but it reaches plenty far to punish a sword's whiff. That's a hard MU that I don't know much about, but even Bowser isn't out of the realm of top tier land due to Marth being the gatekeeper. A character as laggy that has to take as many risks as Marth to get in the big damage isn't top tier in a game with PM level characters.

Frost | Odds

Sorry, you're right. I definitely did have a pretty sharp tone. I'm just really salty after hearing so many PM players complain about Marth, and then I give them some advice, and the MU isn't so bad any more. Everyone's so knee-jerk to think he's a top 10 character when a lot of really good players (at least the ones I talk with) agree that he's mid tier or even low tier in the PM universe.
Very much appreciated, thanks. It's possible, but I just can't imagine how Marth could be anywhere near that bad when he has next to no actually bad matchups, barring the spacies (all probably somewhere between 45:55 and 40:60) and possibly D3 or something.

Were you for some reason a participant in the Bowser skype chat, you'd know that I'm actually one of the very least commitment-heavy and most bait-heavy Bowsers out there - I actually watch top level Marths in order to learn to play Bowser, and before this conversation came up, was watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpcYcI2_AE .

My point is, while I'm hardly the best player out there, I'm really not a total idiot. I've been coaching Calm Animal on his play off and on for the past month or so, and he seems to be feeling some improvement, if that means anything.

Bowser's fair has plenty range to cover what he needs to against Marth. No, I don't think it reaches as far as Marth's sword, but it reaches plenty far to punish a sword's whiff.
This is sort of missing a fundamental problem with the matchup. If Bowser is fairing a whiff by Marth, that means Marth has whiffed something in the first place, which means that he was committing to a move before Bowser did the same, which is almost categorically a mistake.

Most problematic for the fair specifically is that there's a space where Marth can sit in his shield where he can punish the fair on hit with (I believe) a fair of his own, or WD->grab, without actually being in range of the grab box of a potential Klaw. If Bowser is in the air against a grounded Marth that knows what he's doing, Bowser's already messed up, and almost certainly going to get hit.

That's a hard MU that I don't know much about, but even Bowser isn't out of the realm of top tier land due to Marth being the gatekeeper. A character as laggy that has to take as many risks as Marth to get in the big damage isn't top tier in a game with PM level characters.
Using the word "risks" from Marth's POV sounds kinda asinine when you're talking to a Bowser main, though I understand what you're getting at - and you could be right. Nonetheless, in general, I suspect PM Marth mains would likely get a lot further by simply grabbing much more and using the sword less. It of course works unbelievably well against Bowser specifically because he has no spotdodge, but the same principles sort of apply in other matchups, as long as you actually put the horse before the cart and bait before punishing.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Very much appreciated, thanks. It's possible, but I just can't imagine how Marth could be anywhere near that bad when he has next to no actually bad matchups, barring the spacies (all probably somewhere between 45:55 and 40:60) and possibly D3 or something.
Yoshi, Roy, Falcon, ZSS, Meta (even at least), Rob are all characters that either win, or can have it very close and have an edge over Marth as well. Plus, keep in mind PM is still babygame, and Marth is a grandpa with 13 years of optimization under his belt, so I'm sure we'll only learn more and more characters that are good vs certain Melee vets. Marth is a safe character pick vs most of the cast, but I think Falcon is safer, Falcon just has a tough time vs Melee vets and Squirtle or something like that.
This is sort of missing a fundamental problem with the matchup. If Bowser is fairing a whiff by Marth, that means Marth has whiffed something in the first place, which means that he was committing to a move before Bowser did the same, which is almost categorically a mistake.

Most problematic for the fair specifically is that there's a space where Marth can sit in his shield where he can punish the fair on hit with (I believe) a fair of his own, or WD->grab, without actually being in range of the grab box of a potential Klaw. If Bowser is in the air against a grounded Marth that knows what he's doing, Bowser's already messed up, and almost certainly going to get hit.

Using the word "risks" from Marth's POV sounds kinda asinine when you're talking to a Bowser main, though I understand what you're getting at - and you could be right. Nonetheless, in general, I suspect PM Marth mains would likely get a lot further by simply grabbing much more and using the sword less. It of course works unbelievably well against Bowser specifically because he has no spotdodge, but the same principles sort of apply in other matchups, as long as you actually put the horse before the cart and bait before punishing.
This is all true, but on the whiffing scenario Bowser has options. I know Bowser's dash grab is godlike, so what my immediate thought is is move to Marth's f-smash/d-tilt/almost in grab range and sometimes shield to bait the attack then up b, sometimes dash grab, and sometimes crouch>jabs/dtilt/nair or Klaw through something/fair(the kind of fair I was talking about earlier).
I was actually talking to Calm a few days ago, he was talking about how it's hard to improve and stuff and I suggested to play a character that isn't Bowser. Bowser has lots of very specific problems with very specific answers, and I think that's a hard and inorganic way to develop as a player. Anyway, those specific answers don't cover Marth's range amazingly well, but I'll bet Roy/Ike/Link can create the exact same issue. Bowser's definitely an oddball character to use in these kinds of arguments.
It's a good thing I don't try to argue an idea with my stupid character, lol.

I think your fear of grabs comes from you playing Bowser, which is super understandable. My hate for Falcon comes from me playing Yoshi who gets destroyed by him mercilessly.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

I was actually talking to Calm a few days ago, he was talking about how it's hard to improve and stuff and I suggested to play a character that isn't Bowser. Bowser has lots of very specific problems with very specific answers, and I think that's a hard and inorganic way to develop as a player. Anyway, those specific answers don't cover Marth's range amazingly well, but I'll bet Roy/Ike/Link can create the exact same issue. Bowser's definitely an oddball character to use in these kinds of arguments.
It's a good thing I don't try to argue an idea with my stupid character, lol.
This is very true; for most characters I think it's much better for a player to stick exclusively to that one character and improve solely through that channel (at least for a couple months at a time); but for Bowser because he's such an oddball, it's tough to know if you're losing at any given time because you were outplayed, or simply because Bowser sucks or you took a bad beat on a good decision or something. I absolutely find that playing other characters tends to improve my Bowser in unpredictable ways - IMO your advice for CA to focus on a secondary for a while is pretty good. I think he also plays Yoshi, who I'd imagine covers Bowser's bad MUs pretty admirably.

Possibly one of the best ways to go about it IMO is to consistently play character A in friendlies, and consistently do tech practice for character B (and periodically switching whether main or secondary is A/B); so you don't really atrophy muscle memory for either, but still manage to shake up the old autopilot and continuously look at various situations with new perspective.

I think your fear of grabs comes from you playing Bowser, which is super understandable. My hate for Falcon comes from me playing Yoshi who gets destroyed by him mercilessly.
Heh, very possible. Falcon is definitely pretty dumb this patch, though it'll probably be months at least before most of the public catches on. Even then, good luck nerfing him with everyone and their moms crying "hype!" for dthrow -> knees :s

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
This is very true; for most characters I think it's much better for a player to stick exclusively to that one character and improve solely through that channel (at least for a couple months at a time); but for Bowser because he's such an oddball, it's tough to know if you're losing at any given time because you were outplayed, or simply because Bowser sucks or you took a bad beat on a good decision or something. I absolutely find that playing other characters tends to improve my Bowser in unpredictable ways - IMO your advice for CA to focus on a secondary for a while is pretty good. I think he also plays Yoshi, who I'd imagine covers Bowser's bad MUs pretty admirably.

Possibly one of the best ways to go about it IMO is to consistently play character A in friendlies, and consistently do tech practice for character B (and periodically switching whether main or secondary is A/B); so you don't really atrophy muscle memory for either, but still manage to shake up the old autopilot and continuously look at various situations with new perspective.

Heh, very possible. Falcon is definitely pretty dumb this patch, though it'll probably be months at least before most of the public catches on. Even then, good luck nerfing him with everyone and their moms crying "hype!" for dthrow -> knees :s
Oh god no that's a terrible idea. Fixing your block with an even weirder character such as Yoshi is an awful idea please god no.
When it comes to secondaries you should really just try to co-main. Know as many MU's as you can with both characters.
Anyway I'm tired I'm going to bed. Sorry for being pretty crude earlier but I'm from glorious Melee land where we can beat Marths :3

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
This is fair enough, but I don't think I've ever once mentioned Marth throwing out random walling moves (except in MUs where they're absolutely not punishable). You seem to be assuming that Marth has to commit before his opponent - which, in fact, is very rarely the case due to the combined threat of his extremely large dashdance and grab range, plus the additional threat of the disjoint of the sword.

For characters slower than marth (most of them), the larger stages are a liability - not an asset- in the matchup. Sure, there's more room for Marth to choke off, but he can (again, in those matchups), do it much more safely than he otherwise could. You may have a point with regards to the platforms, though being above Marth is still almost never good for any character.

Regarding the heavier characters that supposedly die later, I think that's a huge, glowing red herring. Sure, they're heavier - but on average they're also floatier and larger -- against many characters, Marth has a non-reactable tipper fsmash DI mixup between fthrow and dthrow, which requires relatively precise (ie. just away won't always work -- for many characters it must be down and away), very quick DI which is simply impossible to get correctly every time Marth grabs.

For easy comparison, watch any Hungrybox video. Is this top 5 Melee player able to consistently DI behind Fox every time? What about his opponent? Is M2K, the god of frame data and practice regimes, able to consistently DI out of the uthrow->rest? Of course not - it's not always reactable.

Marth's throws are even more difficult to DI out of in PM than Jiggs/Fox's uthrows in the aforementioned matchup because not only are they of a comparable speed, but the opponent must necessarily guess which direction Marth is throwing, effectively before he even gets grabbed. Even if Marth throws for position (ie. towards the edge) every time, he's still bound to get a bunch of free tippers against an arbitrarily good human opponent.

Compounding this is the fact that though characters on average have better recoveries in PM, they're almost universally still pretty easy for Marth to gimp with some combination of his tools, but probably most notably dair.

Inarguably correct. He probably loses convincingly to all the spacies in PM. Hell, Wolf in particular might have the tools (cough, fsmash) to punish him even harder than Fox for whiffs.

What do you mean by "his punish game is inconsistent"? That sounds like a player skill thing; I'm extremely skeptical that Marth isn't capable of 0-deathing pretty much every member of the cast, or at least approximating it via the use of tech chases, stage control, edgeguards, etc.

Nailed it again. Jiggs is very similar in this regard - IMO to a much greater extreme, though, which is why she's (effectively) such a crappy character in PM; she just requires prohibitive amounts of matchup knowledge.

Marth, though, can pretty much always play the extremely non-committal DD grab game until he figures the MU out. He, at the very least, will not lose quickly.

Obviously, those guys are all vastly better players, and more knowledgable than Marth about myself. To my knowledge, though, none of them take PM terribly seriously, and I'm not sure if they've taken the time to consider the effects that PM's physics, combined with the preponderance of larger, floatier characters, may have had on Marth's overall standing. Melee Marth and PM Marth are closely related, but I'm still not convinced that PM Marth shares all of Melee Marth's weaknesses.

That said, I think you've at least sold me on the idea that Falcon is probably better.
I really want to reply to this with a lot of detail but I dont trust myself to be 100% correct on the workings of spacing and neutral in relation to playing really optimally against marth. Obviously the goal is to space just outside his threat range but neutral is such a huge and hard topic that I wouldn't be accurate with if I attempted to go in depth. I do want to say that on a whole, mobility differences of the viable characters is far less steep in PM than it is in Melee. Marth only gets consistently out sped by fox and falcon (and falco technically i guess because he limits mobility so much with lasers, oh and Pikachu but only against Axe), and then the only burst movement he needs to worry about it IC/luigi's waveland and Yoshi platform movement. Every other character you'll meet in bracket (peaches, Samus, Shiek, the Marios, Ganon) you have a clear mobility difference over which defines the neutral, to a degree that he doesn't enjoy in PM. He has to deal with all these characters with fantastic dash dance games and at least average projectile (albeit easy to power shield) to take back space, and then another group of characters with still good burst movements (although with commitment, thank you 3.5) which he needs to respect, and which can get in to punish dtilts and shields.

On the inconsistant punish game, what I meant was that unless he is comboing a spacie, or combo food characters like Diddy/Roy/fatties, he relies on both DI traps to get things started and bad DI (both combo and survival) to take stocks or extend the situation to take stocks. There are a lot of characters like this, but most of them either have a projectile to start and follow up the situations, or a very strong approaching tool to power through even if they dont catch DI to net another conversion, things that Marth lacks.

On the throw DI Mix-up, that is most applicable on very light characters like Jiggs because throw animation duration are based on the character's weight, so a lot of average/heavy floaties have acceptable times of reactions, which is why Marths will often just go for up-throws on peach/samus instead of trying for the mix-up to Fsmash (which are often double jump/Airdodgeable out of at higher %'s). Light characters like Squirtman/Jiggs/GnW/etc get bopped by the mixups though, but he already has other strong ways to set up early kills vs those characters.

I think Marth definitely has all the tools to win and play every MU, like most PM characters. I feel the work/reward is very skewed for him though. I think Marth is a very highly optimized character (Only things not mastered on a high level of play are like, pivots, see sig), who has to play very optimally to beat characters who have a much easier time playing the MU, even when not fully developed. A lot of characters were given tools to deal with characters who out maneuver them, without drastically increasing the general mobility tools (which is what SD Remix has done, pretty much on a whole). So characters have better burst movements, safer hitboxes, and strong projectiles to start conversions, etc, to even it out, mostly to give them chances against spacies.

tl;dr I'm blaming fox/falco for marth having to work even harder

Sorry if Its vague or abstract, talking neutral or MU's in broad strokes sort of happens like that, without analysising specific situations that come up often (like spacies sh-ing at you) and options and yeah. Right now at least, Marth is a character that needs to have such perfect understanding of the MU and the spacing and micro situations for every character to be effective, so PM marth has so much more to optimize, much of which has to be done after the PM characters get optimized. Which it shouldn't matter in theory, Marth is more demanding on the player in many MU's because of the reliance on positioning and his inability to force things from many situations, which on tier lists should matter because they should reflect the game at the time, not robots. Its why I think Roy is better than Marth, because while marth should be able to just avoid those horrible situations, players are humans and get out played, and marth lacks any good panic buttons to get away with, like *cough* cc dtilt *cough*.

I think thats enough marth talk out of me for a while, I'd love for the thread to rebut/qualify/expand/disagree, discussion is fasinating and I'm probably wrong in many places. I really want umbreon to come in and say i'm just wrong,
"Marth should just DD>upthrow and not let them touch the ground again, get good." - Umbreon, 20XX

after this last weekend falcon went onto my "Ugh this character is still stupid" list with Lucario/Sonic.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Falcon, unlike Marth, cannot be outsped. Falcon has guaranteed kills out of throws at very high percents. He can combo heavy floaties (which is what a ton of the PM cast is) forever. He cannot be camped. His knee is safe on shield. He has massive hitboxes, and amazing aerial mobility to match. His recovery if you DI up is mostly fine, but under the stage it is horrid. There's your negative. If anyone thinks that Marth should be higher than Falcon on the PM tier list, they're wrong. Marth is much more balanced than Falcon in the current build.
I do not think Marth is below top 20 (tbh he's an ez lock for top 15) but I agree heavily with this. I picked up G&W almost exclusively to deal with darkrain when I learned he would start coming out to events. It just turned out he's also a good pick in a handful of other matchups where Wario doesn't really cut it.
Falcon is ridiculous and much less fragile in this game with his sideb recovery. The top & high tier meta also does not trunch him like Melee's did; he is far less likely to run into his would-be counters in a high-profile event.

Last edited:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I think Marth definitely has all the tools to win and play every MU, like most PM characters.
Nope not Yoshi. That MU feels unwinnable for Marth. Yoshi can't be zone combo'd, he lives FOREVER, sends Marth at Shiek like angles with dtilt, nair, and dsmash, has a better grab game, and can do even more if someone botherd to parry all of Marth's stuff.
after this last weekend falcon went onto my "Ugh this character is still stupid" list with Lucario/Sonic.
My work here is done, for now!

Foo

Smash Lord
\and no character without range is slow.
Not true in the slightest unless you think literally every character has "range." Game and watch has range, but still not enough to deal with marth. His worst matchup is marth.

Yoshi, Roy, Falcon, ZSS, Meta (even at least), Rob are all characters that either win, or can have it very close and have an edge over Marth as well. Plus, keep in mind PM is still babygame, and Marth is a grandpa with 13 years of optimization under his belt, so I'm sure we'll only learn more and more characters that are good vs certain Melee vets. Marth is a safe character pick vs most of the cast, but I think Falcon is safer, Falcon just has a tough time vs Melee vets and Squirtle or something like that.
I don't really think this is true for ZSS. Marth just kinda outdoes ZSS at just about everything save for gimp game in this matchup. All of ZSS's neutral tools that work against other characters all get bodied by stuff like dair/fair oos except perfectly spaced bair, but that's only if you wait till just before you hit the ground. If you do that, it's super telegraphed and WD fsmash tippers you. I have a friend who's better than me that mains marth, and I come closer to beating his marth with falcon and roy (who I am not nearly as good at) than with ZSS. In fact, I almost took a game off of him in tourament with roy the first time I brought him out in tourney. ZSS has some tools that outrange him, but they are SUPER commital and slow. They basically rely on a hard reads and are SUPER punishable by fsmash. It's not a terrible matchup, but marth wins it.

While marth is a totally figured out character, there wasn't terrible much to figure out. However, playing against him is also something that has been optimized. I'd say figuring out how to play against marth makes him much weaker than figuring out how to play him. In a way, I agree with you, people generally do not play correctly against marth. However, I don't think that makes marth bad. When both players play the matchups correctly, I think he's still top 10. He doesn't have any terrible matchups at all, and he wins a large majority of them. His only weak matchups are characters above him on the tier list, except maybe yoshi (never even seen this matchup) and some other random low tier.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
squirtle is good, like im pretty sure he's good. like why wouldn't he be good. right?

honestly though, gotta be off yer rocker if you think ganon is better than the squirtman.
don't let non top tier players and their technical limitations while playing a technical character cloud your judgement.

neutral is key in smash. movement and speed are love.

see the light.

the light.
Ganon actually has the advantage in the Squirtle Matchup

Where is your logix now

(I love it when randoms talk about Squirtle and know nothin :>)

Paradoxium

Smash Master

Where is your logix now

um, how does ganon win that match up? Im pretty sure someone small and fast like squirtle does pretty well against ganon.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

um, how does ganon win that match up? Im pretty sure someone small and fast like squirtle does pretty well against ganon.
Reach. Squirtle has a tough time actually getting in, and gets rewarded for it relatively little compared to how much Ganon gets for every hit. Because squirtman is so slippery, he also slides very far when his shield is hit by Ganon's aerials, and thus he can't really punish any of them. Ganon can wall with stuff like SH FF AC nair with relatively little risk.

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Also because Ganon can pretty much Flame Choke infinite Squirtle if they can read the roll, and because his tech roll is ****ing ass

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Reach. Squirtle has a tough time actually getting in, and gets rewarded for it relatively little compared to how much Ganon gets for every hit. Because squirtman is so slippery, he also slides very far when his shield is hit by Ganon's aerials, and thus he can't really punish any of them. Ganon can wall with stuff like SH FF AC nair with relatively little risk.
I always thought squirtle could get in on Ganon pretty easily because of his amazing crouch + wavedash, but i dont really know either of these characters im just guessing

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Man I just don't have the patience for these kinds of extended conversations anymore. I need to quit my job so I can go to more smash tournies and argue discuss on the internet more.

didds

Smash Lord

Where is your logix now

Didds: Squirtle has good movement, he may be better than tree trunk man. I mean, movement is good in this game.

PlateProp: Myself and the other Squirtles who post on Smashboards think that Ganon may beat Squirtle actually. So Ganon is better and you are a dumb who knows nothing about Squirtle.

Didds: today i lernt smachbord logix!

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
Didds: Squirtle has good movement, he may be better than tree trunk man. I mean, movement is good in this game.

PlateProp: Myself and the other Squirtles who post on Smashboards think that Ganon may beat Squirtle actually. So Ganon is better and you are a dumb who knows nothing about Squirtle.

Didds: today i lernt smachbord logix!
Good job

Now you're half educated instead of quarter circle educated

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
ganon is really good and probably the most well-designed character in not just project m, but smash in general

if there were more neat but subtle implementations like hover is, there'd be no more jank in the universe. no, I don't intend to stop gushing about it, you can't stop me

Foo

Smash Lord
ganon is really good and probably the most well-designed character in not just project m, but smash in general

if there were more neat but subtle implementations like hover is, there'd be no more jank in the universe. no, I don't intend to stop gushing about it, you can't stop me
I don't really agree. The only reason ganon is both balanced and fun is the following.

He is the most overpowered character with the end-all-be-all strongest moveset in the game bar none*

*but it's ok because it's put into the body of a slow fatty

I mean, really, you could give ganon just about anything within reason without making him OP. Do the same thing for a character with better base stats on the other hand, and you'll have yourself a sonic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

lmao ^

we should switch sonic's and ganon's run speed and balance both of them at the same time.

/only_half_trolling

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
>You're too slow!
>Slowest character in the game

Ganon with Sonic's run speed and DD length would be the best character in the game.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Sonic is faster, Ganon falls slower, has hover, and stronger moves overall.
He also has flame choke. Imagine the crazy flame choke tech chases.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Lucario doesn't exactly have that good of a neutral as of now. Without charges it's kinda like having your pants down in a prison shower block. Third shortest wavedash, horrible DACUS, and high commitment spacing moves. Aura Sphere also loses distance with charge.

His OoS options are rather decent at best. He loses pretty badly to CC unless a spaced dtilt or usmash's static knockback connects. Every single one of his primary kill options, minus dsmash, also require sweetspots to kill effectively. This is further compounded by having disjointed hitboxes that are horribly inconsistent. They can become worse or better depending on the type aerial movement you commit with them, and the stage layout. **** places like Metal Cavern.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman

And this wonderful design totally not even close to Falcon's why Ganon doesn't even know how to use a sword outside of warlock taunt? Come on, Ganon is a disaster in Smash. But I'll agree that the new specials actually made me try to actually learn how to play Ganon in PM.

On-Topic, how are Samus and Lucas doing? I only played a week of 3.02 before getting 3.5, so the only real difference i noticed is that they patched Offense OP.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
And this wonderful design totally not even close to Falcon's why Ganon doesn't even know how to use a sword outside of warlock taunt? Come on, Ganon is a disaster in Smash.
Get over it. Ganondorf first used a sword in Wind Waker, released a full year after Melee. Smash Ganondorf, especially PM Ganondorf, is truer to the OoT incarnation that first gave rise to his Smash appearance than a sword-wielding Ganondorf. His moveset design is fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom