• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Wait
Can you footstool MK out of his glide?
Because if so, yeah, we should be doing that lol

If you're talking about just footstooling MK out of him double jumping around, you're a mad man. Offstage is a dangerous place, Roys die out there
It is indeed possible to footstool MK out of his glide, it is a devastating option. MK should try to do the reverse shuttle loop from under the stage imo.
Also, for incoming footstool attempts on glide you can try to cancel the glide (special or jump) and fastfall, but it only works if you have enough height.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
TP going through platforms downward now
What actually changed here is that you can now conditionally not pass through platforms during an aerial teleport by releasing the downwards input within a certain timeframe. The old rules about not being able to teleport through platforms while standing on them still apply, sadly. It also puts you into the super laggy grounded landing animation when you land on said platform, so... yeah. Edge cancel shenanigans maybe, if somebody actually puts in work on Mewtwo's tech in 3.5.

3.5 telehover shenanigans require a frame perfect teleport input even if you abuse tap jump buffer for the DJ input. Not as abusable on approach because of that, the fact that you're forced to do it from the ground (ie no easy horizontal teleport approaches like in 3.02), and barring certain circumstances/angles it doesn't seem to work on platforms.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm sorry... you just don't understand

If you can reliably footstool, it doesn't matter what other options you have. You better ****ing footstool them.

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
OK, so ROB feels even stronger when I'm playing as him, than when I'm playing against him; which I wouldn't have believed possible only a few hours ago.

Probably because I d/ftilt absolutely compulsively with every character

Last edited:

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
@ Sethlon Sethlon
You're trying to footstool metaknight and I'm busy wondering why you don't use up-B to hit Yoshi out of his doublejump instead of footstool
What are you doing
If you're talking about using the reverse hit, that sounds much harder than footstooling him (which is already fairly difficult against an intelligent Yoshi who is playing around it). If you talking about just raw upBing into him...eh. Probly would knock him too high to be an effective kill option, and could potentially leave Roy very vulnerable afterwards.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The problem about footstooling is that it is almost always a guess, you can't tell if they will be in some other animation on which footstooling doesn't work. There are some exceptions (Yoshi, any glide, some combos) where the opponent's option set is minimalized to a point footstooling isn't just a wild guess any more.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
The problem about footstooling is that it is almost always a guess, you can't tell if they will be in some other animation on which footstooling doesn't work. There are some exceptions (Yoshi, any glide, some combos) where the opponent's option set is minimalized to a point footstooling isn't just a wild guess any more.
But it isnt a wild guess if you combo into a footstool. Like Pikachu can uair hitconfirm into footstool, Roy can do like uair > footstool > dair, Yoshi has uair footstool down B, just cool little footstool combos. I think footstools are still super underdeveloped,

Foo

Smash Lord
To be honest, comboing into footstool seems like a very difficult input that yields very little reward. Maybe there's some character specific footstool stuff that could be actually good, but all the footstool success I've seen came from purely from the victim not seeing it coming.

Last edited:

Leafeon

Verdant Pokémon
If you're talking about using the reverse hit, that sounds much harder than footstooling him (which is already fairly difficult against an intelligent Yoshi who is playing around it). If you talking about just raw upBing into him...eh. Probly would knock him too high to be an effective kill option, and could potentially leave Roy very vulnerable afterwards.
Could, but when I do it that normally doesn't happen. It seems like the followup hits of upB only happen if you start the upb from below him, but if you are inside, slightly above, or to the left or right of him, it usually tends to work I think. With that amount of space it's kind of... easier than footstooling, and upB moves faster than his doublejump anyway so you're going to get ledge first if you start at the same time and miss. But Yoshi's recovery is pretty two-dimensional, if he's high up he's gonna egg roll or egg throw, if he's low down he's gonna doublejump. Not much choice for him there.

In my opinion it's safer to try and use the upB itself than miss the footstool and try and recover afterwards, because now something you didn't try to make happen happened.

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
But it isnt a wild guess if you combo into a footstool. Like Pikachu can uair hitconfirm into footstool, Roy can do like uair > footstool > dair, Yoshi has uair footstool down B, just cool little footstool combos. I think footstools are still super underdeveloped,
They are definitely underdeveloped, and your combo examples seem legit. A problem can be that if you want to implement the tech too much you could be sometimes missing more basic and more effective punishes.
I can tell you from my own experience, I always gatling combod with Falco in 3.02 for the sake of it, but the normal dash attack normally lead to more followups, and if you compare the average damage out of it, gatling combo only remains the superior choice against combo-breaker characters like Samus.
I feel this is sometimes also the case with footstooling (for example the unnecessary footstool->shine with Fox and Wolf, although one can show off with it). If one still uses the method to compare too other followups and clearly defines the set of situations where a footstool combo is best, then I really appreciate it (I love seeing tech utilized), but I'm no fan of going for worse, flashier options.
To be honest, I don't use enough footstooling and every example for a good use that actually convinces me makes me happy.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
To be honest, comboing into footstool seems like a very difficult input that yields very little reward. Maybe there's some character specific footstool stuff that could be actually good, but all the footstool success I've seen came from purely from the victim not seeing it coming.
Comboing into footstool is pretty easy tbh, you just have to know what leads into it. And knowing when and where to use it is up to the person performing the footstool. It shoots he opponent downwards and sets up for a tech chase, depending on how good you are at following up your footstools the reward can be pretty big.

howbadisbad

Smash Apprentice
Gdubbs can combo into footstool off a bounce dair and then re-dair into upsmash. I would assume other characters which can bounce people off the ground can also do this, Ganon can double dair so he can probably do this. (and if Ganon can do it a lot of characters probably can)

Foo

Smash Lord
Gdubbs can combo into footstool off a bounce dair and then re-dair into upsmash. I would assume other characters which can bounce people off the ground can also do this, Ganon can double dair so he can probably do this. (and if Ganon can do it a lot of characters probably can)
I won't believe that this works unless I see proof. I feel like they would hit the ground before you could dair them after the footstool. I know ganon down-b after footstool works, but that's a lot faster. That's why wario is so good with footstool, he doesn't have to wait to get ot hte peak of jump then fastfall, he just dairs downward.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Wolf's footstool combos are godliek - his fallspeed lets him actually follow you down in a wario-like fashion, and shine -> whatever is easy and reliable to land and finish/transition to next part of the combo. His run speed + dash attack also give him reliable followups if/when his opponent manages to tech a dair.

Last edited:

Raizu

Smash Cadet
Hi, I'm Raze. And probably the only person in PM who decided to pick up Mewtwo only after 3.5 hit.
First of all, telehover still exists. You can ledge cancel tele>hover, on sloped stages horizontal tele>hover exists, and you can jump above platforms>tele>hover in all directions but horizontal on stages like battlefield (if you tele across a platform's edge in any direction basically you can tele hover).

That was just cuz of the previous statement that IC's don't have to deal with telehover approaches. They're more obvious now, but they exist. But anyways, footstool:

Wolf (and Ike) are my secondaries/second mains, and for Wolf, footstool is godlike. Don't let people tell you otherwise. I definitely feel like Wolf is one of the top 3 characters for 3.5 tbh not just because of footstool though.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Footstools don't fit into wolfs combos better than his normal combo strings do

If you're looking to fit footstools into his combos, you're missing out on his stupid combo game. Wolf should consistently zero to death like, everyone if he constructs his combos smartly and efficiently, trying to force footstools in doesn't help lol. When footstools went through shields, nair>shine footstool shine > combo was broken, but now it only had niche combo uses which you should built the combos to avoid those situations anyway imo. It's good against yoshi and glides, pretty much.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I won't believe that this works unless I see proof. I feel like they would hit the ground before you could dair them after the footstool. I know ganon down-b after footstool works, but that's a lot faster. That's why wario is so good with footstool, he doesn't have to wait to get ot hte peak of jump then fastfall, he just dairs downward.
http://smashboards.com/threads/qna-...and-watch-thread.331698/page-39#post-18265835

G&W footstool combo but this is into FSmash rather than USmash.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
guess darkrain combo isn't a combo cuz isai coulda teched outward then

Foo

Smash Lord
guess darkrain combo isn't a combo cuz isai coulda teched outward then
Strawman pls. Here's what I said.

I won't believe that this works unless I see proof. I feel like they would hit the ground before you could dair them after the footstool.
Then he posted a video, and I said
Ness hit the ground, though, and could have teched.
Having a tech chase or a missed tech in a combo doesn't make it not a combo, it makes it not a true combo. Tech chases are great, but you generally want to extend the combo as long as you can when possible. If footstool actually linked to dair, it would be much strong of an option than just footstool leading to a tech chase.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Having a tech chase or a missed tech in a combo doesn't make it not a combo, it makes it not a true combo. Tech chases are great, but you generally want to extend the combo as long as you can when possible. If footstool actually linked to dair, it would be much strong of an option than just footstool leading to a tech chase.
If you know which way they will tech then the pay off could be much better

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
It's not a strawman. It's an analogy. If it were a strawman, it would be fallacious; instead, it is valid argumentation.
Footstool combos, while almost never true, are still combos by the definition Smashers use. Otherwise we wouldn't call things like 90% of what Falcon does combos.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Technically, spacies can jump out of marths u throw CG at some %s, the problem is that its really hard to perfectly jump out before the regrab/whatever move he uses (And you still end up above him)

I guess marths throw combos aren't combos at all?

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
I don't think anyone here is saying footstool combos aren't combos, or that the ability to escape combos via teching somehow makes things like darkrain's combo not a combo.
Which is why your analogy is not only terrible, but a strawman as well.

don't even know how to respond to the above

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
It's not a strawman. It's an analogy. If it were a strawman, it would be fallacious; instead, it is valid argumentation.
Footstool combos, while almost never true, are still combos by the definition Smashers use. Otherwise we wouldn't call things like 90% of what Falcon does combos.
It's a strawman because I never said it wasn't a combo lol.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Hi, I'm Raze. And probably the only person in PM who decided to pick up Mewtwo only after 3.5 hit.
First of all, telehover still exists. You can ledge cancel tele>hover, on sloped stages horizontal tele>hover exists, and you can jump above platforms>tele>hover in all directions but horizontal on stages like battlefield (if you tele across a platform's edge in any direction basically you can tele hover).

That was just cuz of the previous statement that IC's don't have to deal with telehover approaches. They're more obvious now, but they exist.
Keenly aware of this. Just because he can do it doesn't necessarily make it a solid approach option like it was in 3.0, especially against an opponent like ICs with good coverage, a low profile, relative safety against Mewtwo's pressure game, and a tendency to remain grounded in neutral. Hence my emphasis on using teleport (and telehover) for the purpose of positioning.

Telehover is still technically possible, yeah... but edge cancels require a particular positioning and the grounded techs require frame perfect input. Both require a bit more finesse after the fact as well, particularly grounded telehover since precise directional inputs are required now whereas you could just jump -> teleport sideways and approach head-on before. You have to treat it a bit differently than in 3.0.

Last edited:

Bleck

Smash Master
Warning Received
calling something a strawman is a strawman you stupid ****ing idiots

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
calling something a strawman is a strawman you stupid ****ing idiots
Actually it would be a Fallacy Fallacy to say it was wrong because it was a strawman, not a strawman to say it was wrong because it was a strawman. No I didn't type fallacy twice accidentally. I think that's what you were getting at anyways. If you think literally "it's a strawman to call something a strawman", then you don't really know what a strawman is

Last edited:
Top Bottom