• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

Paradoxium

Smash Master
Jesus Christ you people are confusing me, I have no idea who does or doesn't get a dacus.

Just answer this one question, will Pikachu get a Dacus? Because that's all I care about.

JOE!

Smash Hero
As I understand it:

Everybody now has the ability to DACUS, as in they can cancel Dash Attack with an up Smash. However, not everybody's DACUS is worth anything compared to say, Running/JC Usmash, due to both their physics and their dash attack's phsyics.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
As I understand it:

Everybody now has the ability to DACUS, as in they can cancel Dash Attack with an up Smash. However, not everybody's DACUS is worth anything compared to say, Running/JC Usmash, due to both their physics and their dash attack's phsyics.
I don't think I've seen a PMDT answer on Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, and Kirby, as their Dash Attacks are coded differently so they can go off the ledge.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
a DACUS' timing and technical ability is no longer based on a character's jumpsquat time, but is instead a universal 2-frame window. things like off-stage ability still nullifies a DACUS working at all, and characters whose jumpsquat time was too low to use it before can use it now, but otherwise all that's happened is that the tech is mostly consistent across the cast

...I think. er. hm

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Since this evidently still needs to be clarified...

Characters that will gain the ability to cancel their dash attack into an usmash: Fox/ICs/Lucario/MK/Pikachu/Samus/Sheik/Sonic/Toon Link

Characters that will gain 1 additional frame in which to input the usmash and now have the option to use the grab input for usmash: C. Falcon/Charizard/G&W/Luigi/Mario/Marth/Ness/Olimar/Roy/Squirtle/Wolf/ZSS

Characters that will gain 1 additional frame in which to use the grab input for an usmash, no change for using attack: Falco/Ike/Ivysaur/Jigglypuff/Lucas/Mewtwo/Peach/Pit/ROB/Snake/Wario/Yoshi/Zelda

Characters that experience no change if using the grab input to usmash, lose 1 frame if using attack: DDD/Ganon/Link

Characters that are Bowser: Bowser

Characters that I guess can't DACUS regardless because reasons: Kirby (3 frame jumpsquat), Diddy (4), DK (5)

If you're in the first group, you might get some amount of additional distance via a DACUS. You also might not. Everyone else, if you don't have a DACUS that actually goes any significant distance then you're probably not going to see any changes from this.

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Characters that experience no change if using the grab input to usmash, lose 1 frame if using attack: DDD/Ganon/Link
The length of the timing window doesn't change (to clarify: if using a grab), but the timing of those DACUSes will be one frame earlier than currently when using a grab input. That also means that Ganon (changes to his DA notwithstanding) will only have a 1-frame window to properly DACUS with grab now, as the first UpSmash-cancelable frame of his DA doesn't give nearly as much momentum as the second (and third).

Last edited:

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Pretty sure you're wrong on that. Those 3 characters currently have a 3 frame window to input the usmash with the attack button and a 2 frame window using grab. Since the window will be 2 frames universally for both inputs per the PMDT blog post, they lose one frame if they're currently using the attack button for the usmash.

As far as input timing and distances, dunno. They didn't say anything regarding that.

Last edited:

1FD

Smash Ace
All of this would be pretty cool, actually. Teleport working like ROB's up-b would be an interesting change. Would be nice if jab hit short characters/actually worked as a jab reset on more than half the cast too.

It's definitely underutilized. His second strongest option for launching horizontally in the air sans Shadow Ball (the other being sweetspot bair but the sweetspot's at the base, not the tip) and the angle is great. It's got some other neat applications too.
Again, this for sure. ROB up-b function added to Mewtwo up-b sounds so balanced my mind meltaiziiiiinnnngzzz ty drinkingfood

I don't know the stats on it but down b has some kind of weird set kb thing going on, so it's actually a harder hit than fully charged shadow ball (and a better ko angle) until like 40% or so and better than sweetspot Bair until like 60% at LEAST

That means you can hover uair into down b (which has huge range is fast and some sweet stall/positioning properties to use it accurately with style/tp into it even but not usually needed if ever) to finish combos pre-death % for kills without having shadowball against basically anyone who gets combod by Uair chains, which is nearly everyone.

instant HC uairs on the ground are his best neutral option outside of TPHoverBallz too, as far as I can tell anyway

Last edited:

Badge

Smash Apprentice
Pretty sure you're wrong on that. Those 3 characters currently have a 3 frame window to input the usmash with the attack button and a 2 frame window using grab. Since the window will be 2 frames universally for both inputs per the PMDT blog post, they lose one frame if they're currently using the attack button for the usmash.

As far as input timing and distances, dunno. They didn't say anything regarding that.
I didn't want to say that their window doesn't get smaller when using attack, I was only talking about DACUS using grab inputs. (I can see how it could be misinterpreted, though, I could have been more clear.)
They didn't explicitely say anything about timings that I read, but I'd be surprised if the window changed for the characters with a 2 frame window (and subsequently didn't change for 3-framers using grab inputs). That would completely mess up DACUS timings, maybe make certain DACUSes lose/gain lots of distance etc. If that's the case, then much more than implied changed, anyway.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Again, this for sure. ROB up-b function added to Mewtwo up-b sounds so balanced my mind meltaiziiiiinnnngzzz ty drinkingfood

I don't know the stats on it but down b has some kind of weird set kb thing going on, so it's actually a harder hit than fully charged shadow ball (and a better ko angle) until like 40% or so and better than sweetspot Bair until like 60% at LEAST

That means you can hover uair into down b (which has huge range is fast and some sweet stall/positioning properties to use it accurately with style/tp into it even but not usually needed if ever) to finish combos pre-death % for kills without having shadowball against basically anyone who gets combod by Uair chains, which is nearly everyone.

instant HC uairs on the ground are his best neutral option outside of TPHoverBallz too, as far as I can tell anyway
I think it's funny how you always go crazy about down b as a combo ender and people still don't do it. It was a decent option in melee, SD remix it works just as well, even in the reveal video where they have the tas combos, two of them are ended with down b, but m2 has easier/more apperant options that he doesn't need to develop past to be effective so down b is rarely used.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Speaking of ending combos, I have a question for the thread: what's the gripe with kill throws about? Generally if you're dieing to kill throws, than you are at a much higher percent which implies your opponent wasn't ending combos optimally. Most of the characters with kill throws that get complained about (m2, lucas, diddy) have much better options to end stocks eariler through a combo or edgeguards, so if you are dieing to mostly kill throws you should be taking advantage of the fact your opponent is giving you more chances to live for more time.
if part of the problem that the throws can kill eariler than the other options on floating characters I can see it. I don't remember specific percents.
I don't see a problem with kill throws as a whole because they are a less optimal way to end stocks. Unless you can end your hit confirm with a grab or a reset into tech chase/mixup grab they almost always require a different hit confirm from the one (s) that wracked up the damage.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
There aren't too many kill throws in the game in general imo, but there are a few questionable kill setups from throws, which is I think what most of the griping is really about. Pit dthrow, Toon Link dthrow (tough to dispute that this one is balanced, though), zelda,Kirby,Ivy throws at various %'s on various characters, etc.

Once again, though, it seems like most of the people complaining are coming from Melee backgrounds, and seem to be conveniently forgetting about the setups from Sheik/Fox/Falcon/Marth/Peach's throws. There are a few that bear looking at imo, but the problem is often overstated.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
People don't have a problem with kill throws in general. They have a problem when they kill earlier than what is "accepted" as what a kill %should be.

People don't complain about DDD's b-throw killing because it kills around like 160s.

People complain about Lucas' because it kills around 130 regardless of stage position

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lucas happens to have a D throw that you cannot DI out of and his up throw kills at earlier %s than mewtwos up throw
Yeah... ok

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Lucas happens to have a D throw that you cannot DI out of and his up throw kills at earlier %s than mewtwos up throw
Yeah... ok
Just played with this. Lucas Uthrow no DI on FD killed Mario at 102% (when grabbed).

Mewtwo was 103%.

Also Lucas's Dthrow is easy to DI behind him, and the followup can be impossible depending on the character. But it's a good setup move. I wouldn't be surprised if its KBG is increased in 3.5.

Kill throws or throw>kill setups are tricky. I don't think that (Jigglypuff aside) Uthrows should be killing before 120%. B/Fthrows are trickier because your stage position changes survivability a lot. Throws can kill at 30% on Warioware if poorly DI'd.

We'll have to wait for 3.5 to see what the verdict is on kill throws and setups. I think they should exist, but many current ones need to be weaker.

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Ok sure, maybe M2 and Lucas can kill earlier with set ups before when their throw kills. But if they don't, that's their fault and there's no reason to give them an option to cover for that mistake.

Might as well give Marth a kill throw that works at 110-120, because even if Marth lands the kill throw, he could've gotten a set up to kill you much earlier via combos and edge guards ;)

nimigoha

Smash Ace
And that's a great point. M2, Lucas, and Diddy are the last people who need such amazing kill throws because they can kill so easily.

I wouldn't have a problem with them being kept, but those three Uthrows definitely need a nerf. Like 180%+

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just played with this. Lucas Uthrow no DI on FD killed Mario at 102% (when grabbed).

Mewtwo was 103%.

Also Lucas's Dthrow is easy to DI behind him, and the followup can be impossible depending on the character. But it's a good setup move. I wouldn't be surprised if its KBG is increased in 3.5.
1. Proved my point #I'mGodlike

2. DIing behind lucas leads to getting hit by aerials or dacus... lol.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Silly Spralwers

Marth already has a kill throw

In fact he has 4
So long as you DI Marth,s throws right, the worst you,ll get is tech chased. Compare to throws like Ness dthrow that can be a bair or fair to nair offstage nearly guaranteed regardless of DI or Lucas dthrow which can only be DI'd in one direction to MAYBE not get usmashed at 60 and die.

Why are so many dthrows so free?

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I honestly have no idea why Lucas's Dthrow is only DI-able in one direction. Hopefully this gets fixed.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
you can DI it both ways. there is nothing broken about it

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Yeah DI in front works... It sticks you right on top of him and you might as well be dead, No DI is a very similar result and DI behind is hope you're low percent or fall fast enough to not get DACUS'd

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
also chaingrabs and techchases. aren't silly grabs fantastic

oddly enough, the best kind of grabs aren't complained about that much, b/c when you get down to it a grab that does being a grab well is not the same as an obnoxious grab that does a completely BS job well. nobody complains about DDD's grabs, but that's because his great grabs make sense

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Man yeah PM throws are so free we should take inspiration from characters in Melee like Sheik and Falcon, nobody complains about their throws because nobody can change them

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Just played Sheik in Melee today for the first time. Oh man where has this character been all my life. It was awesome, but around the sixtieth time I KO'd my significantly superior practice partner with Dthrow -> Aerial I had to call shenanigans.

I mean PM autocombos durr Melee has hard grab follow ups Dthrow Fair so hard grrr

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
you can get that feel with ganon, still.

just, you're playing ganon so it almost feels balanced. almost

Foo

Smash Lord
you can get that feel with ganon, still.

just, you're playing ganon so it almost feels balanced. almost
I'd say it does feel balanced just barely, but only because they have to be physically inside you for the grab to register. Oh, and they can't be short

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

if you guys make marths bthrow kill at 100% every time i promise to make absolutely anyone you want to quit the game in half an hour flat

Top Bottom