• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thunder = neccesary?

Veng

Smash Ace
Well, im not to much of a thunder bolt liker.

Its horrible for ness, all hell do is PSI it from the edge ( happened ) and with others I usually SD because I get gimped with his Up B on FD when I jump off and do it.

I dont find it very usefull that along with the people calling pikachu users who do it to much thunder whores.

But really, is it 100% necessary?

On the light side, I actually have hope now, I beat clinton's ness ( he is definitely better than me ) with my Pikachu while at 150% VERY CLOSE. So I feel like im getting some were.

Btw _Clinton, you pwn k?

Veng

Smash Ace
No, I said when I thunder playing a ness all he does is PSI it and take in the heal.

and when I do it with Pika I SD sometimes, although that could be fixed.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Practice. And know when it's the right move to use, it has some chars who are harder to hit because they can reflect/heal from it (spacies, zelda, lucas, ness). Don't let them trick you into healing them/hurting yourself. To answer your question though, no it isn't necessary, pika can kill with other moves too, and isn't gimped w/o it.

Dark_Meow1

Smash Ace
I might not main pikachu, but I know it's an amazing move. Edgeguard and kill from above.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
every move of Pikachu is necessary to make your playstyle unpredictable
if you jump over the edge to nair you opponent all the time do a thunder next time~
that being said, no, you dont have to abuse the thunder ^^

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
it is a great killing move if they are near the top of the screen, if you get lucky you can sometimes juggle people with it

Pikachu247

Smash Rookie
qac into thunder is amazing as well, you just need to know when to use it. If your opponent is lazy and doesn't like to DI you can punish with thunder all day, otherwise just be sneaky and make them forget about it and hit them when you can. Thunder is an awesome move!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
up tilt to thunder.
up smash to thunder
up throw to thunder
down throw to (up tilt) to (up tilt) to (up tilt) to (up smash) to thunder
edgeguard thunder
down smash to thunder...

all of these are rediculous moves

and no, its not necessary but you are just shorting yourself trying to play with out it

Roller

Smash Legend
up tilt to thunder.
up smash to thunder
up throw to thunder
down throw to (up tilt) to (up tilt) to (up tilt) to (up smash) to thunder
edgeguard thunder
down smash to thunder...

all of these are rediculous moves

and no, its not necessary but you are just shorting yourself trying to play with out it
It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

And everything everybody has posted in responce here is true.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Abuse leads to you getting destroyed. Sneaky thunder quick-plays after....well a lot of things, leads to your opponents destruction. I think its better to sneak it in every now and then.

On the other hand, you could abuse the **** out of it for a minute (run up, use it, run away, do it again) and then throw your opponent for a loop by running in, NOT using thunder, and then throwing them or something, though I wouldn't try it =P

Pika Flame

Smash Cadet
Of course we need thunder! You hear "Pikaaaaaaaa!" the whole brawl because of me!

Yataku

Smash Cadet
Well I happen to think Pika best move is B thundershock.

But no, I went battles with Ness, Pit and Lucus with out using it to much and winning =3

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Thunder's not necessary. I once beat my RL friends at college without Thunder as demonstration that I could win without spamming it.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
Thunder depends on who you're fighting. Snake will hate it, but Ness/Lucas will TRY to get you to use it.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
Who cares if they call you a Thunder *****. Honestly, play the game with all of your tools at your disposal. Do you really want to play as a handicapped Pikachu? If you have an oppertunity to KO with Thunder, then use it!

iDizZzY

Smash Journeyman
l3arn to do it with a b reversal
it can be an amazing move if you use it with the reversal

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I've done the reversal a couple of times by accident, but that's the one AT I just couldn't figure out.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Who cares if they call you a Thunder *****. Honestly, play the game with all of your tools at your disposal. Do you really want to play as a handicapped Pikachu? If you have an oppertunity to KO with Thunder, then use it!
If you spam Thunder too much, then they might just completely exclude you from playing like they did to me once.

gamesuxcard

Smash Journeyman
I see a lot of new pikas using thunder far more often then needed, in a spam fashion that just makes your opponent better at sidestepping in air. It's not a bad move, and I really do think it's necessary in a lot of matchup. If you know your opponent can get back to the edge, edgeguarding with a thunder can make them do something stupid, and fall into a upa smash or downb smash. It can also be used as a trump card easily if you make your opponent concentrate on dodging the other movies you've been using for the entire match.

gallax

Smash Hero
judging by your post count and join date it seems you are a new smashboarder. am i right? welcome to the boards if you are! some things i recommend checking out is the pika clan(high voltage), and the matchup thread(stickied). Although i have to redo it so it may be a few hours till it complete. but still take a look, read it, say what you like/dislike and give your opinions on the matchups. thanks!

NicIsNotANinja

Smash Cadet
I use thunder but usually when i use it i jump ABOVE the person i want to attack then as a fall i use it, so by the time the thunder has come down i am right next to them.

I've found that its too easy to miss or for them to dodge it if you try to use thunder while someone is above you.

Nitrix

Smash Ace
If you spam Thunder too much, then they might just completely exclude you from playing like they did to me once.
Then the people you are playing aren't very good players. :ohwell: Of course, if you are playing just for casual fun then maybe owning them with Thunder isn't the best thing to do. BUT, if you are playing to improve and to win, then not using on of Pika's awesome moves will only hurt your game.

gallax

Smash Hero

Then the people you are playing aren't very good players. :ohwell: Of course, if you are playing just for casual fun then maybe owning them with Thunder isn't the best thing to do. BUT, if you are playing to improve and to win, then not using on of Pika's awesome moves will only hurt your game.

spoken like a true champ.

plasmid

Smash Apprentice
I use thunder but usually when i use it i jump ABOVE the person i want to attack then as a fall i use it, so by the time the thunder has come down i am right next to them.

I've found that its too easy to miss or for them to dodge it if you try to use thunder while someone is above you.

But if they're good they'll just hit you before you get the Thunder started. End result, thunder noise but no thunder, and punishment for you.

Top Bottom