• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Three most wanted changes? (Aside from Online)

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Personally, I'd like to see
A: Roller's base grounding time shortened (Cause let's be real, it's pretty ridiculous. Not by to much, tho. Don't wanna destroy the character.)
B: K. Rool's up special hitbox shrunk a bit (To make edgeguarding him more consistent)
C: Something for Kirbs (Hot damn he could use anything right now)

What'd you like to see?

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
Fix online should be top priority. People with horrible connections should not be allowed to play online.
As well make preferred rules for online be enforced rules. I'm sick and tired of facing people with dumb ass rules like time and items on quickplay.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
1. Fix the online. Everything about is is garbage.
2. Give spirits descriptions like trophies.
3. Buff like half of the roster (Kirby especially)

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Fix online should be top priority. People with horrible connections should not be allowed to play online.
As well make preferred rules for online be enforced rules. I'm sick and tired of facing people with dumb *** rules like time and items on quickplay.
I guess Quickplay has been good to me, I almost always get the rules I set. Can't speak for everyone tho.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
As well make preferred rules for online be enforced rules. I'm sick and tired of facing people with dumb *** rules like time and items on quickplay.
The problem is not that people have terrible online, is the system they implemented. If you ask anyone that is running this game poorly, any other online game in their PCs or other console are running fine, good ping, no problem at all, and the problems are exclusive to Smash. They decided to build the game with the P2P system that is fine for 1v1 matches (most of them if the players are not too far), but is atrocious for matches with 4 players, since everyone needs to wait the response of everyone, the time for this to happen is severely damaged and we have the lagged matches, that will only work properly in extremely good conditions. But you shouldnt make a game to sell to millions of people expecting all of them to work in extremely good conditions between them. But a game shouldn't need extremely good conditions to run properly, it should have dedicated servers to mitigate the lag and add features to deal with it. It's a stupid decision from NIntendo, and the players shouldnt be blamed for a problem that was just expected.

The 3 main changes I want for the game aside from new characters and online - that would be number 1 and would imply in a total redesign of the online system they implemented - are....

1. Addition of a new campaign, really huge campaign, coming in an expansion pack in the end of this year. This campaign would be something like the final level of World of Light teased.. with plataformer style levels with many different kind of fights, and enemies, puzzles and bosses. Include it in Games and More, or even in the Spirits menu, it could even be an "Adventure mode 2" of the Spirits mode and use the spirits too.

2. Update some moves of some characters... Like Mario... pls, remove the boring FLUDD and add Cappy doing the same job of push enemies, for gods sake. Leave Dr. Mario with the fludd, but at least update the Mario character with at least a change in this special.

3. More game modes. Not stupid or boring minigames, but other big modes to play alone or with friends. Multi man is cool, but it gets old, and Classic if fine, but I see my friends finding it pretty boring to play after some time and we always come back for just regular battles.

Last edited:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
  1. Add Random Stage Select options to Quickplay preferred rules. So if you select Hazards Off stages, it will pick from a random one from your Random Stage Select versus picking from everything.
  2. Make it so you can transfer ownership of an arena to another player so you don't have to kick everyone or leave your console on if you have to leave.
  3. Implement a voice chat system that doesn't disconnect briefly before and after you start a match in an arena. Or fix the app. Seriously, the Nintendo Online app is kinda cool but why does it do this?
  4. (sorry I need a 4th, so read 4. as BONUS!) Make Elite Smash available to everyone without having to jump through hoops and players camping their life away desperately clutching to their GSP count. Separate the lobbies, Quickplay and Elite Smash. Elite Smash will have a set time and stock count, and BF or Omega forms only (I prefer BF but w/e), items off. Quickplay will continue the current format. Elite Smash will be the ranked mode, with separate FFA, Teams and 1v1 modes. Quickplay will be unranked and will go by preferred rules.

Edit: Gee OP thanks for changing that title right after I posted and making me look like an idiot. Anyway still stands, not changing it now.

Last edited:

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
1. Add Rayquaza as a Boss. Even if he's exclusive to Classic Mode, there are tons of Pokémon characters, so it wouldn't be a waste.

2. Add a Boss Mode in Games & More or Spirits. This should let us easily challenge any boss (excluding Galeem and whatnot until World of Light is finished) with any character, or run a gauntlet. It would also be really nice if we could do this with up to four players, unlike Classic Mode. This would be even better with the addition of more bosses, and it doesn't require them to redistribute the bosses on Classic Mode.

3. Bring back Custom Stages. It would be a lot of fun to build things again, and it would greatly extend the shelf life of the game for my friends. It doesn't need to be online (although adding it to Arenas would be a nice touch), but it would be a great addition. Also, they could even sell stage parts in the shop to provide more unlockables for people.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
Well, since we're throwing around non-gameplay related changes, I'd have a hazardless button on the Stage Select Screen as my secret 4th change

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Your first preference is unfair. Some people don't have the means to have better connection. This also goes both ways, so blaming some external factor for your online woes isn't rational. Your entire post comes off as authoritarian, too. If you're having issues, maybe you should find people to play who will be more than happy to play in accordance to your ridiculous expectations. Quite frankly, I rarely encounter people who have items, or play on stages I avoid, or whatever. If such event happens, I play the match and then leave. I place those players on block. Problem solved.

Last edited:

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
Your first preference is unfair. Some people don't have the means to have better connection. This also goes both ways, so blaming some external factor for your online woes isn't rational. Your entire post comes off as authoritarian, too. If you're having issues, maybe you should find people to play who will be more than happy to play in accordance to your ridiculous expectations. Quite frankly, I rarely encounter people who have items, or play on stages I avoid, or whatever. If such event happens, I play the match and then leave. I place those players on block. Problem solved.
How exactly is my first preference unfair? Someone having a terrible connection makes games be incredibly laggy and just NOT fun for both sides. Why should I be expected to deal with this?

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
1. Balances that focus on buffing rather than nerfing. Community outreach on a blog or something detailing why changes were made (monitoring Elite Smash stats, “this fighter really struggled against projectiles”, etc.). This encourages use of less popular characters and keeps the meta fresh.

2. Mode update packs:

New campaign. Keep it simple instead of fighting God again – maybe Master Hand is just screwing around. Implement new bosses with preference given to the series represented by the original cast: Black Shadow, Mother Brain, Porky (though he should be DLC), etc.

Lost modes.
Implement multiplayer better with things like racing ghosts in break the targets, or a beefed-up Stage Builder with Mario Maker-style featured downloadable stages. This encourages community interaction in creating (family friendly) homages and “minigames” like pinball, smashketball, etc. that inject new life into the game.

Costume
Challenges. Costume packs with unlocks tied to single player and/or online challenges so they feel more unique and allow players to show off their love of specific characters, e.g.:
  • Dry Bowser: As Bowser, come back from a near loss (1 stock to 3) in 5 online matches.
  • Phantom Ganon: As Ganondorf, win a match against 4 lv 9 CPU Ganondorfs.
These could also be organized as little micro-challenges that pit specific fighters against each other in specialized lobbies, e.g.:
  • Dark Samus (Skeletal): As Dark Samus, get 5 Elite Smash victories against Samus with at least a 2 stock advantage.
  • Samus (Light Suit): As Samus, get 5 Elite Smash victories against Dark Samus with at least a 2 stock advantage.
3. Generalized UI/experience changes that just make sense:
Add Random Stage Select options to Quickplay preferred rules. So if you select Hazards Off stages, it will pick from a random one from your Random Stage Select versus picking from everything.
etc.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
How exactly is my first preference unfair? Someone having a terrible connection makes games be incredibly laggy and just NOT fun for both sides. Why should I be expected to deal with this?
Can y'all please take this to DM's?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm fine with the game as-is in every way except for its online.

Let me pick a different goddamn character without losing my partner.
Let me guarantee a certain play type instead of rolling the dice every time I look for a match.
Change GSP to something that makes some ****ing sense and don't restrict "Elite Smash" to a per-character basis on an arbitrary, ever-changing scale that no one understands and actively punishes taking breaks from Quickplay.

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
1:fix online
2:throw out GSP for literally any other ranking system
3:fix online again

Every time i try to come back and pick up ultimate for some online i regret it

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I already told you why it's unfair. Aside from that, I'm going to respect the OP's wishes now.

Trainer__Mark

Smash Rookie
  1. Online related but bring back For Fun/Glory
  2. Short hop button (Or 5-6 frame jumpsquat)
  3. Ash Greninja as an alt :p

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  1. Have the option to change your character when fighting someone in quickplay. I hate how if I find an awesome player and want to take them on with my main, I have to quit to change characters and as a result can't fight them.
  2. Fix the glitch where if you pick a character's alternate costume, you'll end up fighting in their default costume during quickplay.
  3. Have the option to turn off stage hazards at the press of a button when on the stage select screen.

Lodestar65

Smash Apprentice
1. Make the AI read inputs less.
2. Let you change characters in Quickplay.
3. Nerf some Assist Trophies.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
1. boss rush mode
2. boss vs hero's: one player is the boss and your opponet picks 3 characters to fight him or in multiplayer up to 3 players fight at same time but only one stock per playet
3. fix gps

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
1- Fix music volume (for example the songs from Xenoblade 2 are too quiet, you can barely hear them)
2- Being able to change your and the CPU's characters in Training Mode without leaving the stage
3- Being able to change character between Online Quick Matches

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
- Add descriptive text to Spirits so they aren't just PNGs with barely any context. Descriptions were the one of the best aspects of trophies as they allowed you to find out more and could potentially spark interest in picking up a new game or series.
- While we do have 103 stages (or over 300 if we're counting all the battlefield and FD variants), bringing back the stage builder would be welcome
- New costumes/alts (though that's not so much a 'change' as it is an addition)

Otherwise I can't think of that much as most of the other changes would be to online

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
1. Improve some of the worst characters like Kirby and Little Mac (maybe make it so Little Mac's KO Uppercut can't be lost by being hit).
2. Bring back some of the things from previous games such as Stage Builder.
3. Give Cloud alternate costumes that you can distinguish from one another.

Last edited:

VodkaHaze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VodkaHaze58
Apologies for double post.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
1. Boss rush mode and a mode where you can fight any boss on command with anyone.

2. Hazard Preference Option. Set your preferences from another select screen for what you want from each individual stage in terms of hazards, and the game will only give that to you whenever that stage is picked.

3. Add option to organize the CSS and SSS however we would like.

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Yeah you already know what I'm going to say. Fix wifi please guys. I may cheat a bit here when it comes to my list, but really I can't think of anything but the online that is problematic, plus I came up with a very detailed list of everything that drags it down for me.

1-Visible tags and the return of taunts: Yes yes, I've heard the defense already. However you're not really protecting anyone by hiding tags, like "oooooh he showed a bad word!" I mean come on, people that can understand what a swear means have already heard it before, you're not sparing anyone's innocence or feelings. By the way, if you're playing Co-Op and your teammate is the same fighter, or heck, even similarly shaped fighters with similar color schemes (literally any FE character and most normal humans in general) (by the way I love anime swordfighters please stop with the hate) it gets really hard to tell each other apart when one of you is Fell God1 and the other is Fell God2 (oh and sometimes the numbers aren't even there so you end up having the same tag). Similarly, removing taunts during online play is not the way to go because, like in the case of hiding tags, no feelings are being spared. I can't tell you how many people I've t-bagged at this point probably in the upper hundreds. I'd rather be using the BM function that was specifically added into the game but apparently those are too offensive or something. Oh well, maybe they'll add a shooter game protagonist and then the t-bagging will be much more immersive.

2-Elite Smash and related things: For starters I don't think GSP is a terrible system. Sure, it's obnoxious how I gain about 100-300 GSP per win and lose about 1,000-3,000 every loss (not an exaggeration by the way) but whatever, once you're near the top it's supposed to be harder to climb, I get it. The problems arise in that GSP is character specific which is the reason you can't switch fighters between games. Yeah, change that. Just make our new overall GSP what our current highest is, it's a better indication of skill and it's not like anyone but myself will be hurt if I lose by sandbagging as a fighter I'm terrible with. Also, Co-Op online play deserves Elite Smash ranking as well. I play it a lot more than most of you probably do, and let me tell you, most of the people there are so terrible that my teammate and I start to sandbag on levels comparable to Isai in Melee. It gets really boring crushing the life out of bad players the 1,000th time in a row, though I'll admit it's better than constantly losing.

3-Battle Arenas and rules: That's right all three of my grievances are related to online...a real shocker, huh? Well let's get something out of the way first. Battle Arenas should be able to be entered Co-Op, period. The play with friends option had it in the last game, and since battle arenas have completely replaced private lobbies, it's only natural they inherit this...it's a pretty simple feature. Furthermore, let us practice while waiting alone in an arena, it gets pretty lonely when no one is around. Also let us switch fighters (and preferred stage if applicable) without having to exit the ring, I'd rather not lose my prestigious position of being in the ring just because I don't want to play as the same fighter 30 games in a row. Finally, preferred rules online should be more in-depth. Allow us to pick exactly which stages are legal under our rulesets instead of "only battlefield, only final destination, everything, or everything but with hazards off" because let me tell you, I'm sick of Battlefield, I'm sick of Final Destination, and I'm sick of dying to stage hazards. Oh and while you're at it, let us turn team attack on so that double projectile camping is even less viable (lol good luck now Belmonts).

Ahem, that's all, probably. I didn't want to address balance because as much as I hate Inkling, Ness, and all the other annoying characters, I still don't want to speak for what I said good or not for now. This game is almost flawless, and 99% of its flaws are in the online play, in which it's pretty flawed unfortunately. I think I went sufficiently in-depth with all of my grievances with online play, and I think all of my solutions and suggestions are not only reasonable, but necessary. Let's just hope someone important sees this.

Last edited:

Oneiros5321

Smash Apprentice
Well, at least something like in Mario Tennis where they show you the connection quality and give you a few seconds to decide if yes or no you want to match this player would be nice.
Actually, as a whole, I think they should just copy Mario Tennis online mode...quality check and dedicated tournament mode would be awesome imo.

The tournament mode is not much in itself, but for me, it really adds a goal, something you wanna reach. It is really satisfying.

Nintendo should add a system where we can request nerfs/buffs to help make the game more balanced.
Ahah...no.

For the things they could improve...

1. Giving the option to set the stages you want in the prefered rules...like having Omega + Battlefield + any legal stage would be nice.
2. Dedicated competitive mode so we can play the game we want and not the game they want us to play.
3.Adding more modes in battle arena...I don't really play local but I still play with friends online in private battle arenas.
I don't see why we should not be allowed to play a squad strike game or whatnot. It's not trying to match any set of rules anyway so it just feels like a useless limitation.

Yeah I know, they are all online changes but also, I don't really play local so I don't quite know what I would change on that side.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Fix Yoshi's fuzzy model texture during victory poses. Currently it looks hideous. Hell, fix Yoshi's victory model in general, but the craft Yoshi costume really does look like mold covering his body in the victory pose.

Short descriptions for the Spirits. I miss that. Others have covered this already, but it'd make spirit collecting slightly more enjoyable.

Allow me to change a ruleset without having to exit the character select screen.
Every other Smash game managed it, but ultimate's way of handling such a simple requirement is needlessly convoluted. Still have no idea why they took a system that worked perfectly fine and reinvented it to be less user friendly.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

ccllr

Smash Cadet
2. Update some moves of some characters... Like Mario... pls, remove the boring FLUDD and add Cappy doing the same job of push enemies, for gods sake. Leave Dr. Mario with the fludd, but at least update the Mario character with at least a change in this special.
Jesus. No. I'm glad you're not in charge of such decisions in the game.

1. Have the option to change your character when fighting someone in quickplay. I hate how if I find an awesome player and want to take them on with my main, I have to quit to change characters and as a result can't fight them.
  2. Fix the glitch where if you pick a character's alternate costume, you'll end up fighting in their default costume during quickplay.
  3. Have the option to turn off stage hazards at the press of a button when on the stage select screen.
Yes. Please yes.

1- Fix music volume (for example the songs from Xenoblade 2 are too quiet, you can barely hear them)
2- Being able to your and the CPU's characters in Training Mode without leaving the stage
3- Being able to change character between Online Quick Matches
This also.

There's jus too much in this game that needs to be fixed...

Arthur97

Smash Master
1. Make it so that it saves your fighter selection between matches. It does for CPUs, have it do it for humans.

2. Add an option to sort stages and fighters by series.

3. The ability to change rules on the fly from fighter select like the other games.

Bonus: Option to pick fighters before stages.

DeKu Skrub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadixREBORN
3DS FC
1650-2649-2219
Switch FC
SW-1122-3127-2057
1. Make it so that it saves your fighter selection between matches. It does for CPUs, have it do it for humans.

2. Add an option to sort stages and fighters by series.

3. The ability to change rules on the fly from fighter select like the other games.

Bonus: Option to pick fighters before stages.
I think the stage before character choice was intentional to line up with modern fighting games and to prevent immediate counterpicking, which still happens anyways

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think the stage before character choice was intentional to line up with modern fighting games and to prevent immediate counterpicking, which still happens anyways
Doesn't mean I like it. Besides, the option provides for both camps.

Top Bottom