• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts and Strong Opinions on the New Build

Foxy

Smash Master
Here in NC, I and other TO's run B+ tournaments quite often and we have a lot of dedicated players who take the game very seriously, we almost have power rankings and people even practice specific matchups. Given that level of practice, I feel that the following opinions (just what was posted on Smashboards) should be heard here in the WBR from people experienced with the game. They all have also asked me to share their opinions with everyone in the WBR.

Overall, I'm very against the new build. @_@
I just don't understand why they waited months to release a new build if they are only now going to change the game mechanics completely. We don't need reduced hitstun and NADT, combos are not all that cookie cutter like people have been complaining if you learn how to DI. The main problem is that no one has gotten good enough at the game to really show the potential of the combo game. I know that when I play David he does a lot of crazy stuff on me, and I did some crazy combos in my mms with Yay and Bill.

Making these changes now is only going to further discourage good players from picking up B+, because there is no point in actually learning what your character is capable of in depth. There is always the possibility that they will make another game-breaking change. I thought that level of change was over with 5.0, so I started learning Ganon in depth, but now it seems that all of my work was pretty much useless.

I personally think they should only make balance changes as the metagame develops. Like they should obviously nerf Ness and a few other characters, but they don't have to change any mechanics.
It feels like a dumber version of vBrawl with small hit stun. I don't even have fun when I play it anymore.
New version is pretty much a pos.

But yeah, new build bad, metaknight is still awesome, but we really don't know enough about the game to do **** about ****, which is the problem. No one good is actually testing this **** out, like really really testing it out (at least thats what it looks like). People on the forums just keep arguing their usual bull **** and don't even know what they are talking about.

Good example, right now they are discussing how they need to nerf metaknights sideB cuz its too good with auto snap, but they added instant release to ledge grabs, so we can be invincible and he isn't so we win if we time time it right. But no one mentions that. It doesn't matter if they can autosnap or not because your ****ing invincible.

But yeah, **** that ****, me and karn actually started practicing this game, which is a big deal for me, cuz i don't give a ****, and now all that work is wasted as ****. This game is pretty much going to be a side game for pros to win at vB tourneys for the next year.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Regardless if I agree or disagree with this post (I'm still deciding for myself if this set is better for the game or not) I do think it is worth realizing that we are turning off lots of good players with radical changes like this. Greg keeps saying it as do lots of people I play with too. I mean we can give our 'word' that nothing so radical will change again but I doubt people will trust us considering our track record.

If this patch goes through we have to agree that this is it. That's all that's left and any other change we do is subtle number tweaks. The only character that might need a little more then numbers changes is Samus.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's a **** good thing this build is experiemental. I've only seen "happy results" from the lower spectrum of players. Everyone above that is extremely mixed results.

:/

We need to stop making huge changes regardless, though. I'm not liking what i heard because what i hear is mixed and mixed is just as bad as everyone knocking it down.

Foxy

Smash Master
Not a single competitive player in NC has given a good word about the build - mainly because we're all taking the game very seriously now, to the point of actually practicing specific combos and matchups. We've all learned so much that if it all becomes useless, I think a lot of our players will just quit + altogether, which is a sad statement.

Veril

Frame Savant
You know what else has had extremely mixed results? 5.0

People are more inclined to complain when they dislike something than express approval. That's simple human nature. Its also worth noting that the "lower spectrum" of players might not currently be using Ness/Fox/Squirtle/etc. People are bound to complain if they're character got a nerf.

In response to Foxy's collected player comments:

Jon?: hitstun is actually reduced by ~10% (and yes, I've done testing). I can't take his comment seriously when its so clearly knee jerk.

Lord Karn: valid points that have already been brought up and discussed... but not resolved.

THO appears to be... an idiot. Why did you even quote that crap?

We're all taking the game very seriously now, to the point of actually practicing specific combos and matchups. We've all learned so much that if it all becomes useless, I think a lot of our players will just quit + altogether, which is a sad statement.
You can't be serious. First off, the change to most combos is limited. Second, are their any good players who DON'T practice at all? No. It won't all become useless. That's absurd. This kind of thinking isn't entirely rational.

Foxy

Smash Master
5.0 hardly changed the game compared to this build - it was more just character specific updates.

THO was just particularly upset, he's actually likely the best and most serious player in our state.

Very few combos work the same at high levels with the new build. You have to pretty much rework your character's game.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Agreeing with Foxy for a second here, I am noticing people are jumping out of my combos a lot more often. Combo's I relied on aren't working for me anymore. Maybe I'm just not being quick enough but I find it hard to believe. People are DI'ng up and away on my aerial juggles and then jumping out to places my characters can't seem to reach reliably. I'll have to get more practice and play in after Thanksgiving.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
MD/VA, NY, and Canada on the whole, 3 of the biggest (and highest-level) Brawl+ tourney scenes, have said mostly good things about the beta, especially when comparing it to 5.0. NC is literally the first high-level region I've heard about being entirely against it.

They must not have any Ness mains :p

Veril

Frame Savant
NC is literally the first high-level region I've heard about being entirely against it.
You should actually go to the thread where the quotes that Foxy used originated. Its full of misinformation, weak arguments and whining. LOTS of misinformation... I posted once and decided to give up after that.

I'm more supportive of the Beta's character modifications than the mechanics changes atm, but I definitely would not discount them in the way that the opposed players have. The beta is definitely an improvement over 5.0.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
You should actually go to the thread where the quotes that Foxy used originated. Its full of misinformation, weak arguments and whining. LOTS of misinformation... I posted once and decided to give up after that.

I'm more supportive of the Beta's character modifications than the mechanics changes atm, but I definitely would not discount them in the way that the opposed players have. The beta is definitely an improvement over 5.0.
You went in and trolled the board, got ***** by Lord Karn and never responded. He has an excellent point. We gave everyone a huge middle finger who spent lots of time practicing 5.0 and then said 'JK guys, time to relearn the combo game'

What misinformation do they have? Hitstun is lower, yes or no? NADT is in yes or no? Characters got more changes yes or no? Anything they are saying wrong is just an opinion. (I.E. The 5.0 combo game isn't stale)

Frankly, the lower hitstun is noticeable on a few combos. It can be debated if that is for better or worse, but fact is that it's there and throwing a few people off. Point is this is the first group of people who have strongly spoken out against it and no one has really given a good argument for the changes to that community.

I like both 5.0 and whatever we are calling the new set about equally. Both have good points and flaws so I'm not getting involved supporting one side or the other. I would like to see someone go in their give factual numbers and examples on why these changes are necessary.

shanus

Smash Hero
This set is pretty polarizing to our fanbase. I'm not sure what to think of it, to be honest. The character changes are all mostly fine, but the change in mechanics might not be worth it as I think it might be more damaging than most people give it credit for.

Just my 2 cents.

Project M will have lower hitstun, anyway ;-)

Veril

Frame Savant
I didn't troll the board or get *****, and I did respond. You fail, much like everyone on the board except Karn.

I like both 5.0 and whatever we are calling the new set about equally. Both have good points and flaws so I'm not getting involved supporting one side or the other. I would like to see someone go in their give factual numbers and examples on why these changes are necessary.
Enjoy the fence you're sitting on.

The Cape

Smash Master
RC1's combo system was very straight forward as combos would either work or not work pretty much 100% of the time. The best defensive option in most situations was to mash on your R button and hope that the followup was a string and not a combo. At least thats my opinion on it.

The Beta build has more possibilities as the hitstun is high enough that BnB combos still exist, but if you can properly bait a jump, or counter attack or something of that nature you get a longer and more rewarding combo out of it, something that was not seen as often in RC1 (still dont know why it was ever called a "near gold" release).

Foxy, I spoke to Yeroc about a week or so back and he informed me of your issues with the preliminary version of the set with .44 hitstun. I took his feedback and reworked a good deal of the numbers and even increased the hitstun up to .46 as it does in fact play much better. I am curious if you are stilll basing opinions on the old .44 build or the one that has been released on the site with the .46 hitstun?

The goals behind the new beta that I was shooting for was more character balance (because Ness, Falcon, Squirtle, etc were just silly in RC1) and mechanics that force both the offensive and defensive sides to think. The different sheild stun constant allows weaker moves to be a bit safer on sheild while the stronger moves do not stun as long as they did. In RC1 the sheild stun on a few of these moves was on the sillier side and I (and many other players) found themseleves locked in sheild for a free grab or sheild pressuring followup. The hitstun change was minor to complement the NADT addition. This forces the player being comboed to think about their escape more so than just an AD to a FF, which was heavily prevelant in the RC1 build. The changes seem major at first, but what it really forces you to do is to start learning mindgames and mixups (as a good competitive game should have) more so than just a few strings that work all the time (like in most 2D fighters).

Again, these are just my opinions and the explanations for the changes that I chose to make. I would encourage you all to give more time to the beta and give more opinions on it, but I am unsure if that will happen. In the end however, this project has gotten to the extremely silly side and will never properly be finishing anyway because people will always have their opinions about this or that. What we need to do is find a good solid tournament build that is solid enough, stable enough, and balanced enough and stick to that and decide to never update it again. The "RC1" build is definetly not that because barring Ness (as silly as he is in that set) the set has a good deal more in depth issues that would need to be ironed out before it could ever be an acceptable tournament game.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Yea can we settle on mechanics and never change them again? No matter what? I want this to be the last time we have make such huge changes.

The Cape

Smash Master
Neko: That is what I was trying to shoot for with this build. Been making tiny fixes here and there and touching up things with Veril's numbers and the input of players and such. I just want this to be the best game that this can be and I gave my best shot at it. The whole "Gold Set" was kind of screwing the pooch with the lack of testing we did on RC1 and we are all at fault for that one. Just wanted to give this one more shot to see if we could make this thing right.

The Cape

Smash Master
Fact of the matter is, I have been unemployed a few months and put that time into Brawl+ because I wanted to accomplish something and I just plain love smash and want this to be the best it can be.

However now, I am just plain sick of it, I want it to be good to go and finished and never changing again which will bring in more players. So lets just pick something, make it right and be done with it.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Well, if this is going to be the last major revision, we better get everything right. If we're also calling this our last major revision, that probably means we need to get on the ball for the physics tweaks.

Veril

Frame Savant
i mean, my character (falcon) was nerfed completely. i have no urge to re-learn him
Care to extrapolate? His d-throw get nerfed but certainly not destroyed, the other nerfs were mostly just toning down buffs. What killed Falcon? Seriously, nothing is like, chiseled into his manly pecs just yet.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well the thing with Falcon is. He was overbuffed in some areas, but even still, he was no where near top tier.

He was at best a high tier.

imo, he should of been compensated.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
IMO the lower histun alone hurts Falcon. He has to work a lot harder for his strings now. He should have been left alone when he transfered over with the new mechanics. Falcon has some silly good, easy **** in 5.0 but he lost a lot in the transition to the new set from mechanics and then people wanted to tone down stuff that was too good in 5.0 but was fine in the new set.

Falcon is the most overrated 5.0 character. Don't get me wrong, he's good, but he sure as hell isn't MK, Squirtle, Snake, Fox, or Ness 5.0 quality. He got shafted on the transfer over, that much I know for sure.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I agree with goodoldganon.

I know at first there have been people who've said good stuff about the build a day or two after they've had it, but now the amount of negative comments about the characters in the build are multiplying now that it's been out for several days and more people installing it, mostly on the combos.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I think Falcon's nair may have been overnerfed (2nd hit doesn't need that much KBG at least), and uthrow could probably use a couple extra IASA frames. But I don't have a problem with dthrow and dash attack not being autocombo knees, they were just silly. Dair on a grounded opponent is still autocombo knee but if you land that, you deserve it.

Falcon is still really good.

Revven

FrankerZ
GoG, you're forgetting that with less hitstun, Falcon himself also gets combo'd less... so that's an actual buff he got here. >_> (No matter how small it may be). And, with the physics tweaks being planned (or so I hope and heard) then the hitstun change will matter a lot more.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
but they arent AUTOCOMBOS. Like, I don't even do good at tournaments with falcon!!! why should he be nerfed? the cape, who ADMITS to being a mediocre player, DOMINATES with ness. MYSELF AND OTHER FALCONS DO NOTHING IN TOURNEY.

dash attack to knee, uthrow to knee, and dthrow to knee, ALL dont work anymore. my basic strategy now is to just uair people to 140% until they die from it. This was all changed because of speculation, not because "falcon is dominating" or "somehow falcon is everyones best characer". anyone following my logic there? also, i have yet to see any Falcons on my level (besides vist), and we're both not dominating anything.

Sorry if it sounds like im whining, it just disappoints me when I put a bunch of time into this game in an attempt to get better at it, and then all the combos i've spent time learning suddenly don't work anymore, and i have to RELEARN new strategies and basically start back at square one.

I mean, i thought the new build was going to tweak a few characters, but there are MAJOR changes to virtually the entire cast!! it feels like a different game every time.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I agree with G-reg. The thought of now having new physics for a chunk of the cast (when Samus is the only one sides maybe Marth that needs it) is just another block I and anyone else who spent tons of time on 5.0 have to overcome. I think we all knew 5.0 wasn't going to be as permenant as we led people on to believe but I didn't think the next set would feel so radically different.

I have to play with NADT and lower hitstun more to try and get better at the predicition but so far all it has lead to is frustration from escaped kill combos and longer more tedious matches. Falcon is a prime example. Love him in 5.0, boring as hell in this new set. He can't reliably combo into any kill move and despite what you guys may think a BnB combo kill isn't bad for the game. All I can do now is hope for a random flying knee kill, U-air gimp, or a stomp spike.

EDIT: I'm sick of hearing Brawl+'s combo system is stale and too easy. It's like 3characters in 5.0 (Ness, MK, Fox) that have a stale combo system that is stupid easy to do but the rest of the cast does work for those combos and works for those openings. Defense is still stupid good in Brawl+ and in the new set when I break it I'm just not feeling rewarded enough.

-In the middle of this post I got a radical idea so bear with me, but imagine this:

We have a code or whatever that when ever you are in tumble and try to perform an AD you do a Melee Air Dodge. You keep the same control and everything like in Melee. Enter free fall after it, can control the direction at first, and yes I think even wavelanding out of tumble would not be a bad thing. By doing this instead of just using MAD all of the time we keep wavedashing out of the game (and all it's balance problems) but we should also be able to keep the combo game many of like and don't find 'easy mode' from Brawl+. I also think this could help alleviate some of the silly platform traps we have now *cough SNAKE cough*

Part of the reason Melee's combo system was great and Brawl+s might be considered lacking is because of the radical differences in an Air Dodge. Brawl's is stupid good and Melee's was terrible. With this system we will encourage the use of other escape mechanics, (wiggle for the good AD, jump, attack, etc) keep the combos we know and love in B+, and hopefully diversify the game the little bit we are looking for. I know it's an odd idea, but what do you think?

Veril

Frame Savant
G-reg, those combos should still work. D-throw knee definitely still works, in fact, its still a combo even with DI as long as you know the % windows (FFers could always DI and tech even before this set...). Now, I really don't want you to stop playing B+, and I understand how you feel about Falcon. I've literally stopped all my other smash related projects (which for me is a big deal) to do one thing: get a complete diagnostic workup of Falcon's beta combo game, especially d and up-throw. I'm doing this cause well, I like you a lot as a person and want to get to see you at the next B+ tourney.

To be completely honest, I think you are wrong about Falcon, and soon I hope to have sufficient evidence to prove this to you. Give me some time, be patient and please keep an open mind about change. If what I turn up shows that Falcon is substantially worse, than there's no reason he can't be changed back. I suspect, however, that his combos will simply have a higher learning curve.

Veril

Frame Savant
Suggestions for edits to the current set

Suggestions for CF:
Remove the d-throw angle change (if hitstun is at .46): d-throw combos now require a lot of precision to execute even without the DI, when they are even possible. With DI the d-throw combos are all gone for all but a select few (Jiggs, MK, etc) who will still get ***** cause they're too floaty to tech out of the combo. D-throw is substantially more useful against the floaty characters due to it being a weight dependent throw. The hitstun reduction makes it only really work at all on below average weight characters.

Lower the up-throw IASA
(if hitstun is at .46) by 6 frames: this will give Falcon an initial advantage of 15 on most characters, not high enough for a knee combo to work (though it will at higher %), but enough for up-air with a good read on DI. It would balance out his available combos with what d-throw lost by giving him a means to combo FFers and heavies out of a throw. Seeing as it Falcon doesn't exactly have the most hax grab in the world, I see no issue with this.

bring the b-throw up to an acceptable standard by bringing the IASA down ~8 frames (at .46, 6 frames if the hitstun is at .48) (minimum adv 1 w/o DI): This is something I've wanted for a long time. We changed Marth's b-throw IASA because it was garbage right?! WRONG! We did it cause it was Marth and its well known how bad his b-throw is. There are tons of other throws just as bad, bringing ALL of them to a benchmark of non-s***iness will not unbalance the game at all. All throws should have a minimum advantage of 1 (ie, unpunishable, no throw that can't KO should ever be used if its got a negative frame advantage...). Its very very reasonable and will add no new true combos to the game. Currently a throw with a negative advantage is simply a vestigial limb, and since we will inevitably want to improve some of these throws, I feel the only non-biased way to do this is to apply relatively minor tweeks to all of them. This is actually FAR less radical than it sounds, and it IS important. We never do anything systematically and that's the cause of most of the issues we faced... ever, this is a chance to make a uniform change, with minimal balance effects, because it would be logically consistent to do so.

Facts:

Comboing into the knee from a ground move requires an absolute minimum advantage of 18 (jump + the startup). Once you account for the initial buffered dash and aerial movement, you will need 22 frames or more. The initial advantages on d-throw range from 15 for Bowser to 23 for Jigglypuff. This is however, assuming the opponent does not tech, which they will be able to far more often than not.

D-throw knee will no longer work as a true combo (at 0, regardless of DI) against: Bowser, DK, Snake, DDD, Charizard, Ganon, Samus, Wario, Yoshi, Rob, Ike, CF, Link, Wolf, Ivy, Lucario, Mario, Luigi, sonic, Lucas, Ness, Pit, dK. Perfect DI and FFing into a tech kills d-throw knee initially for the whole cast, as % increase it becomes possible to perform on floatier, lighter characters.

The effect of the angle change is more significant than the hitstun change. D-throw lost 5 frames off its advantage window due to hitstun, but can lose substantially more when DI is taken into account. Ex. Initial Advantage d-throwing bowser if he doesn't DI: 16 frame advantage, no combos here... alternately he can DI and tech yielding a -1 frame advantage. LOLWUT!! EWWWW

The hitstun is a less effective measure than the angle change, and has the unfortunate effect of killing much of the combo potential of this move even without DI.

d-throw knee still works from 0-200+ against Jiggs, possibly other floaty characters as well >.< WTF

If as retardedly easy a combo as d-throw knee got weakened this much, it really makes me question the hitstun change. I honestly may try out the beta with hitstun at .48 again to see the difference.

Changing that angle on this move may be a good idea if we aren't returning hitstun to its default state. A lot of characters will yield a negative advantage if they DI and tech, the gold standard for "no longer worth it" imo.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'd still love to see a variation of my Samus make it in (ok with a slightly less powerful nair) though also with the missile and bomb fix in

Veril

Frame Savant
Actually, I think advantage initially on throw can safely be increased to the jump startup for a given character +1 frame. That wouldn't be enough for any dash grab combos, or any true combos at all initially, and even with growth combos would be very limited from these throws.

So, yeah, minimum advantage on any throw should be that characters jump startup +1. At this point, any throw that doesn't at least meet that standard (those throws also can't KO...) is never used in a competitive setting.

Veril

Frame Savant
Because I'm really tired from cooking, cleaning and work, I'm gonna hold off on the wall of text until tomorrow. Short version of the findings on some research:

Ganon's only throw in need of further change is his b-throw, which is absolute s***. To bring it up to the point of tolerable ok-ness, 10 frames down on the IASA and +1 damage. Its soooo bad. The other throws don't need further changes.

Sonic's throw game is pretty solid and this is supported by the numbers, I personally don't see a need to change anything there. His lowest advantage is from the f-throw, which is ~8 initially.

Kirby's d-throw is f***ing stupid.

Marth's b-throw is almost at that "minimum standard" and pushing the release frame forward (instead of further reducing the IASA) by 2 will put it at an initial ~5 advantage while making it slightly easier to DI (very slightly). Marth's other throws should stay the same.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
Facts:

Comboing into the knee from a ground move requires an absolute minimum advantage of 18 (jump + the startup). Once you account for the initial buffered dash and aerial movement, you will need 22 frames or more. The initial advantages on d-throw range from 15 for Bowser to 23 for Jigglypuff. This is however, assuming the opponent does not tech, which they will be able to far more often than not.
see the bold? THIS is why it doesnt work. the fact that anyone can tech the ground at any time makes it a tech chasing move and therefore becomes a guessing game, and thus, a less effective move.

shanus

Smash Hero
see the bold? THIS is why it doesnt work. the fact that anyone can tech the ground at any time makes it a tech chasing move and therefore becomes a guessing game, and thus, a less effective move.
Thats why the rest of his posts talk about fixing it, lol

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I know the idea sounded radical but why did no one at least say, 'That idea was ****ing stupid?' for the MAD when tumbling idea? Go to training mode with 5.0 and it's not hard to realize that hitstun in 5.0 is fine. Tons of the combos are either frame specific or way just straight up aren't combos. The problem with Brawl+'s combo system is solely the air dodge and making people who use the air dodge in tumble use a Melee Air Dodge would solve that problem, I just know it. It's one simple change (instead of the exhausting changelist for the new beta we have) that adds all the depth Brawl+ will need to it's combo system.

Top Bottom