• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Those of you who have ever played M2K...

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
How did he play like? If you managed to get stocks off of him, how? I was just watching the VGBC stream with Hammertime vs M2K. Hammertime played ridiculously well until he got to m2k, who 4 stocked him. It seems to me like he can turn an amazing player into nothing, but those who have beat him before have seemed to been able to do it again.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Well he plays kinda like way better than you, or me, or 99% of the people on smashboards.
You take stocks off of him by being and incredibly talented player.
Hammertime is not even close to the level of people not even close to the level of M2K.

There is no way to explain how to beat a player that very few people know how to compete with, let alone consistently beat.

Only the top players can really explain how to beat him, and they probably can't even do that. It will all amount to "play better, be more technically consistent, punish harder, know the percents to combo/escape combos, mix up your recovery, and outplay him."

/thread.

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
Well he plays kinda like way better than you, or me, or 99% of the people on smashboards.
You take stocks off of him by being and incredibly talented player.
Hammertime is not even close to the level of people not even close to the level of M2K.

There is no way to explain how to beat a player that very few people know how to compete with, let alone consistently beat.

Only the top players can really explain how to beat him, and they probably can't even do that. It will all amount to "play better, be more technically consistent, punish harder, know the percents to combo/escape combos, mix up your recovery, and outplay him."

/thread.
If someone were to, say, play for 13 hours a day for 2 years and spends the time until March 1 to study frame data, hitboxes, etc. as well as play the 13 hours, how do you think they would do?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
So basically how wold M2K play M2K? M2K would win because M2K has been doing it longer

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I think Mango said that you can just do weird but effective things to throw him off, such as not always going for the clear best option, but M2K seems to have gotten that figured out now.
I guess it would just be a case of stay away from the ledge. If you're playing Fox or maybe even Falco you can just outcamp him and force him to approach. A good option for trying to take a stock is just spacing aerials outside of his grab range. Even the best of players will occasionally trade with them (especially Fox/Falco/Puff bair), so getting at least one stock shouldn't be too hard. Just once I'd like to see someone play so defensively against his Sheik that he becomes the aggressor, but that's much easier said than done. It may expose a bit of a weak point in his game, though, although it wouldn't be fun to watch except the first time it happens.

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I BEAT M2K!
in one match
in low tiers
but still lost the set.
:V
still, my more casual friends love bringing it up haha.

From the experience I had playing him I gathered this: that he played exactly how I thought he'd play. Optimally and entirely planned ahead of time. His autopilot is ridiculous! Your natural S-game will not beat it, unless your S-game involves completely screwing with people's autopilots. But I knew going in that if I could force him to play on his feet he could be beaten. That's the trick; I had to dance around everything he'd assume I'd do and get him to slow down and start thinking. In other words, I didn't fight Oz so much as I searched for the man behind the curtain. I have full faith that people could assume this much for themselves from roaming around Youtube, but you ask for my 2c so here it is haha.

ban Dreamland vs. his Mewtwo in low tiers. He just won't die, and he's really good at gimping with his bairs (among other things). Slower characters like Link can't catch him there.

D

Deleted member

i've been playing m2k since 2004. we've beaten each other a lot. just play good smash and m2k is a lot more manageable. doing bad things will get you killed badly.

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
If someone were to, say, play for 13 hours a day for 2 years and spends the time until March 1 to study frame data, hitboxes, etc. as well as play the 13 hours, how do you think they would do?
Just want to say that the amount of time put into Smash does not convert directly to your success as a player. Sure, experience is MANDATORY for becoming good, but the top players have done more than just that. The God 5 all have an intrinsic understanding of the game from multiple perspectives: HungryBox with his spacing, M2K with his all rounder fundamentals and Mango with his ability to get in your head and **** you up.

Even if I haven't played him, I can tell that he isn't impossible to beat. Just ridiculously, ridiculously hard to beat because he's so consistent and beating him almost always requires outplaying him. Your best bet is probably to go with Umbreon's improvement post (with the notebook and all) and constantly go to tournaments/play friendlies against other tier 1/2 players if you want a shot at M2K. Playing M2K a lot too probably helps.

Ive played M2K in about 300 games in my life. I won ONE.

Eat **** Jason
I did the exact same thing once before

Except that the game that I won on was a 2v2 and Mew2King and Boss KOing each other all game. ephoenix was on my team. Both of us were/are horrendously bad

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
If he grabs you, you will die.
If you go near the ledge, you will die.
If you're not top 20 material, he will 4 stock you and make you question your existence in life.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
You want to know a pro's secrets so you can train like him and get better?

Well...realistically, you won't get that good, or even find the exact answer that you want. Look at this page, though:
http://clashtournaments.com/?author=2

I recommend reading "Covering Options" and "Play To Your Strengths".

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
The skill gap in this game is immense. Hammertime is an up and coming player in the Canadian scene to my knowledge, and lacks the experience to deal with M2K.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
You basically cannot make a single unforced error. Mew2king does not make many commitments. His spacing simply adjusts based on what he thinks you will do and if you do it, you'll be punished hard, and if you didn't do what he expected, well he didn't really risk anything to begin with. It's a play style that lets him both stay safe and hold you accountable for any misstep you make.

Take for example playing Falco against his Marth. He will almost always be spaced away so that it appears you can short hop nair/dair at him, but if you try, he will dash away and pivot grab you. Once you stop recklessly approaching him, he might do a few other things, but mostly you will see the decisions in how he positions his character, not in the attacks he throws out.

He wins via his excellent spacing game. Give him excellent fake-outs in quick succession so that he can't accommodate for everything, then he might just need to take a chance. Much harder said then done though, and maybe I'm just not good enough to see what he has in store for people who can keep up with his spacing.

ERayz

Smash Journeyman
I played M2K at two different instances, with about 1 year separating each,

First time he would almost JV5 me with random characters.

The next time went better, I could consistently take a stock off him (almost every game), sometimes 2.
But I understood that in order to just HIT him, you gotta put him in marginal situations, or else he reacts near perfectly and send you offstage and GG. Once your offstage, there's literally no way you'll recover as Fox or Falco I believe.

When you hit him, you have to 0-death combo him, or rack massive %, or else it's GG again.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I played him on a few separate occasions in tournament sets. My first time in Melee was one of my first tournaments and he pretty much pressured me into playing him on FD (not happening again). I took a total of like 3 stocks off in the set. About 6-7 months later I entered a Brawl tournament for lulz and got 3 stocked both games because I wasn't really trying nor did I know what I was doing. Then a month or 2 after that, I had to play him in PM where he went Fox, and it wasn't too bad. No worse than playing the top Foxes in my region. :p

JKJ

Smash Ace
It was ok playing him in P:M, took two stocks off in my only match I've ever played with him in P:M.

Massive

Smash Champion
Imagine playing the game except you're not having any fun anymore and you're not entirely sure why.
Now imagine that if you mess up an input one time the game automatically deducts a stock from you.

That's about what it's like to play against M2K.

Top Bottom