• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This thread is useless...

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
This is something I've been thinking about for some time, but i didn't go through with it
because it goes against conventional thought. Hopefully someone will get something out of
this.

A common thing that players trying to improve do is come to the site and seek the advice of others. Countless guides are written on how to improve your game, many different players (both good and not so good) give tips on what they think it takes to get better. But the information out there is so varied (and often conflicting) that it's hard to know who's right and whose wrong.So you might ask yourself...

How do you actually reach that elusive high level of play?

The answer?

Figure it out.

No seriously, figure it out. Make sense of everything. Take some time to yourself and think. Think about everything you can do in the game and everything that can happen. Think about how to get better. Think about things often and in detail. Don't think in terms of the vague labels thrown around on this site but in a way that really makes sense to you.. Becoming a better thinker is like working a muscle; the more you do it the better you will be at it.

Blindly following text typed out on this site (including stuff written by top players) will not get you where you want to be. Even threads created by the great EL himself will not(and have not) carry you to greatness.Now I stand by my thread title; this could very well be just another useless "How to" page. But what's important is what you take from this and what i hope you take is that you have a brain and you should use it. There may be some of you that disagree and think that asking for advice IS really important when trying to get better. But to them I say this...

Why are you still asking?

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
I partially agree with you. You won't become great by following guides, advices like a robot (unless you play metaknight). But you CAN learn from the experience of others and sometimes there are little things that you just missed while evaluating your on game which are easily spotted by peers.

You have to figure out what work out for you on your own, but you shouldn't despise the community.

EDIT: i'm nowhere near great, but that's how i intent to get there.

mosesrko24

Smash Apprentice
Actually i was originally gonna post it in tactical but felt it might get lost in the shuffle. Also it seems people

here are especially guilty of the "follow the leader" attitude, and it hasn't really worked out for them. (I

realize I"ll probably get flamed, but it needed to be said)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You do realize that EL left a very long time ago, right? U mad because we have active critique/FAQ threads? I don't get it.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I think he's rather clear, your disability to comprehend what he's trying to say is ironic considering what he's trying to say.

edit: Sorry.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
No, I get what he's saying, and I agree. I don't, however, get why he's accusing us of it moreso than others. We barely even have any guides and the like.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I do feel like the Marth Boards have an air of "elitist or get out" kind of feeling. It has deterred me from posting for about a year till now.

zer0.

Smash Apprentice
I do feel like the Marth Boards have an air of "elitist or get out" kind of feeling. It has deterred me from posting for about a year till now.
Me too. I was reluctant to post for a long while, but I think the only way to get past this is more people posting. Because there is a small group of marth players active in here and not always they are welcoming, but they don't bite and soren is the proof that is not that bad.

I think we need new people here, so post more.

daballa100

Smash Cadet
This is actually kinda true. No offense to anybody who's a regular here. I think that's why Marth boards are so active though. You've got this sense of leadership, but this does not help marth's that are at lower levels of play (looks at self). It seems this board is more geared to the top players leading and all the lower players left in the dust. This isn't the only reason why marth isn't very successful at lower levels of play, but I bet it effects it. Sometimes the elite (or atleast the ones who think they are) players need to be a little friendlier. After all this is a video game forum. Video games are usually for fun. Just sayin something quick before I go to bed man. You guys aren't that bad. Don't expect me to respond if you for some reason want a piece of me lol, because I'll be busy having my hands tied with basketball for the next couple days:psycho:

'Night

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
We definitely have a level of pride, and it does scare off newer players, I agree.
On the other hand it allows most/all information on the boards to be... correct.
My major training partner/good friend Toby (tcranter) in the days of pokemon trainer would despise the flow of completely incorrect information or judgement calls on things that were based on a lack of understanding. Things like that caused their boards for a LONG TIME to circulate misconstrued advice and other things that only realistically hurt their players, or gave them a false sense of uhh.. hope. Luckily for us, Marth is actually a pretty **** good character, but that doesn't mean we are invincible. There is never an easy way out for Marth against most of the viable characters; so today most of our discussion and metagame development comes from discussing the use of varied options or mix ups.

So when I think of the Marth boards I believe that most information you would gain here would be correct / helpful. And other knowledgeable players are aware of that too and will call out people for being incorrect. I'm not saying the marth boards are 100% correct on everything, that is a stretch that makes people hate us - so we at least try to maintain that we have strong information but are readily able to discuss opinions on things that aren't so plain.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I feel like our elitism level dropped a lot when Shaya "took over." And I mean that in a good way. We're still the ****.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Yeah. I do feel like Shaya allows the correct and pride of the Elitist way of the Marth boards but has an aura that is more laid back. I feel like Shaya has made a large ramp for the noobies. Before it was like climbing a wall of broken glass spikes stabbing into your hands as you tried to climb while those above you would put their shoes in your face so they could get over the edge.

Atleast thats how I feel :)

Top Bottom