• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This is not melee 2.0"

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
To Everyone Posting about how pointless/stupid this thread is:

This is a forum, a thread fails only if those posting in it are idiotic/spammers. The OP stated an opinion and has attempted to defend his opinion, if the quality of the tread drops it is because YOU fail.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Another common redundancy. When will you guys stop conforming and grow up. Can't you think of something new to say?

Obviously there is a point to this thread, it has just as much of a point as any other thread on this website, that is, to invoke conversation.
Wikipedia, part of growing up is conforming. Everyone has to get a job right (Just an example... but the truth is a LOT of threads do get the "this thread is pointless treatment")?

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Actually, this thread didn't really have any quality to begin with. So I guess that makes him fail.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Wikipedia, part of growing up is conforming. Everyone has to get a job right (Just an example... but the truth is a LOT of threads do get the "this thread is pointless treatment")?
Conforming, in one sense, yes, is a part of growing. But I hardly think that incessantly repeating the same phrases on a gaming forum will help one grow up.

Beno

Smash Rookie
Well, if anyone says "This is not melee 2.0" we could just say "Well, does it look like it's in melee?"
Or something similar along those lines.

Yeah...

You seem to throw "conform" around a lot, when as a community, nonconformity, as a whole, does not exist.

Everyone conforms. It's just a matter of what you conform too. Nothing is unique.

Anyway, this topic is kind of redundant, as it will only result in a flame fest.

I'll leave before this topic requires armor...

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Oddly enough, you said the word conform, or some variation, as many times in your one post as I did in this whole thread.

Your argument is void of relevance because I am not arguing the conformity of the forum but rather the conformity around saying a specific phrase. You can still be a community of one purpose without the senseless phrases.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Yeah... Brawl could be anything from Melee 1.1 to some racing game no one could ever recognize. The question people are begging is will Brawl live up to Melee's depth. People responding with "this isn't Melee 2.0" aren't saying anything, at all.

This applies to any sequel really. The same flak gets spewed back and forth, just replace the words "Brawl" and "Melee" with the appropriate titles and there ya go. It's really interesting how you see the same trends no matter what game, movie, whatever you look at.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
I don't care, Brawl is not "Melee 2", and it's true.
Go and play some Melee 2.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah... Brawl could be anything from Melee 1.1 to some racing game no one could ever recognize. The question people are begging is will Brawl live up to Melee's depth. People responding with "this isn't Melee 2.0" aren't saying anything, at all.

This applies to any sequel really. The same flak gets spewed back and forth, just replace the words "Brawl" and "Melee" with the appropriate titles and there ya go. It's really interesting how you see the same trends no matter what game, movie, whatever you look at.
Yet sometimes (in certain places) it is applied correctly. Like the Metroid Prime games. Or Megaman. Which are basically the same games every time with no change up. Although Prime 3 DID let you "utilize" the Wiimote.

orintemple

Smash Lord
Another common redundancy. When will you guys stop conforming and grow up. Can't you think of something new to say?

Obviously there is a point to this thread, it has just as much of a point as any other thread on this website, that is, to invoke conversation.
... Wow I now have great respect for this man. I have believed that the point of a forum was to engage in coversation with a mass of people sharing one common interest who you don't have the change to talk to in real life. And therefore being that unless a topic is purposely meant to incite anger, nothing should be disregarded as pointless and all should get their say in. Finally I find someone who agrees with me. It is dumb when people make it dumb but when real covnersation comes up, or real debates/arguments, that is when things always have a point. Hooray for intelligence!

Hitzel

Smash Ace
Yet sometimes (in certain places) it is applied correctly. Like the Metroid Prime games. Or Megaman. Which are basically the same games every time with no change up. Although Prime 3 DID let you "utilize" the Wiimote.
I'm talking about where people apply the phrase as "This is not *game title* 2.0, so features that made the first one special shouldn't be relevant when discussing the new one."

Warchamp7

Site Owner
Administrator
Premium
Slippi.gg
WAR#912
NNID
Warchamp7
YOU GOT YOUR TOOTHPASTE IN MY PEANUT BUTTER!!!

We're getting a totally different game. Those complaining should stop whining for Melee 2.0. The game has been changed to give us a new, fresh experience and you need to accept it....

.... or die

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I'm talking about where people apply the phrase as "This is not *game title* 2.0, so features that made the first one special shouldn't be relevant when discussing the new one."
True, and the features SHOULD still be relevant, because they are still there. That's what MADE games like MP3 and (arguably) Megaman awesome!

sv3

Smash Apprentice
... Wow I now have great respect for this man. I have believed that the point of a forum was to engage in coversation with a mass of people sharing one common interest who you don't have the change to talk to in real life. And therefore being that unless a topic is purposely meant to incite anger, nothing should be disregarded as pointless and all should get their say in. Finally I find someone who agrees with me. It is dumb when people make it dumb but when real covnersation comes up, or real debates/arguments, that is when things always have a point. Hooray for intelligence!
A conversation isn't just an arbitrary point by itself. Each one has its purpose. This thread was talking about how a phrase was overused, so it had a point. Then people started talking about being angry and the interpretations of the words "har har," which caused this thread to lose its point.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
True, and the features SHOULD still be relevant, because they are still there. That's what MADE games like MP3 and (arguably) Megaman awesome!
That's my point. There are special aspects of games that make them unique. If they are cut, saying "New game!" doesn't justify their removal. It's also not a trump card to play in debates. It's a blank, meaningless response that just dodges the question.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I still don't get the phrase. Basically when someone brings it up, they're saying "Your ignorant and dumb for comparing this to Melee. Whiner." Its brought up for no reason at all besides to get a cheap laugh. If people seriously think its some all-purpose argument-ending answer than thats even worse.

Maybe if it was actually used in better context, like "Your trying too hard to recreate Melee techniques, thats why you can't find the good in this game", but otherwise saying it assumes that the person has not given the game a fair chance even though many of the people its said to have done so. If your going to bring it up as a one-liner at least know what they're trying to say.

Kio Iranez

Smash Ace
That's my point. There are special aspects of games that make them unique. If they are cut, saying "New game!" doesn't justify their removal. It's also not a trump card to play in debates. It's a blank, meaningless response that just dodges the question.
Then again, your point argues that all games should be made the same way. A sequel doesn't have to be exactly like the last to be good in it's own way.

orintemple

Smash Lord
A conversation isn't just an arbitrary point by itself. Each one has its purpose. This thread was talking about how a phrase was overused, so it had a point. Then people started talking about being angry and the interpretations of the words "har har," which caused this thread to lose its point.
Yes, but it certainly wasn't pointless to begin with as a previous poster had stated.

Also I feel it has regained its point now that people are talking about more than Har Har.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Then again, your point argues that all games should be made the same way. A sequel doesn't have to be exactly like the last to be good in it's own way.
Yes, most sequels stay along the same quidelines as their predecessors (except when games had to make the jump to 3d). I do not know of a game that has been made way differently than it has been for a long time (Example: Platformer to racer).

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I'm not arguing that it has to be, I'm arguing that the features from past games are always relevant in sequels. There can be good reasons for their removals, but when people don't recognize those reasons and post "New game!" in every thread, general conversation is inhibited.

For example:

People can discuss why L-canceling should or shouldn't be in Brawl, but simply stating that we're talking about Brawl means nothing.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
when ppl say "this isnt melee 2.0" (gimpyfish first said it, to clarify), its merely saying:

brawl is an entirely new game
we should take it as such
not saying "melee had this, brawl doesnt, it sux, blah blah"

however, many ppl take this in the opposite direction and say
"haha, theres no advanced techs. all u tourney fa-gs are gonna get it now"

thats not right to do either. pros arent pros because of advanced techs. theres a lot more to this game than ppl realize

Spellman

Smash Ace
A lot of people bring up a whole bunch of evidence of how this game is a small step up from Melee, and then some person who thinks they can cure the whole situation by saying one silly phrase comes along. It's an undercover meme.

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
when ppl say "this isnt melee 2.0" (gimpyfish first said it, to clarify), its merely saying:

brawl is an entirely new game
we should take it as such
not saying "melee had this, brawl doesnt, it sux, blah blah"

however, many ppl take this in the opposite direction and say
"haha, theres no advanced techs. all u tourney fa-gs are gonna get it now"

thats not right to do either. pros arent pros because of advanced techs. theres a lot more to this game than ppl realize
Yet we still alter our competitive matches to be:
1v1
no items
neutral stages w/ a few others.
.... hmmm sounds like Melee.

Melee 2.0 is such a pathetic term. No matter what we alter in Brawl, be it the gravity/ damage ratio, stages, items, etc we will still be playing Brawl. If you want Brawl to be played the way Sakurai intended it to be, than one can be quite satisfied with the FFA-item poppin'-Nofair matches for the win.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Yet we still alter our competitive matches to be:
1v1
no items
neutral stages w/ a few others.
.... hmmm sounds like Melee.

Melee 2.0 is such a pathetic term. No matter what we alter in Brawl, be it the gravity/ damage ratio, stages, items, etc we will still be playing Brawl. If you want Brawl to be played the way Sakurai intended it to be, than one can be quite satisfied with the FFA-item poppin'-Nofair matches for the win.
this is the nature of competative gaming. u take out some stuff. thats jus the way it is. ppl need to realize this

when ppl create video games, they dont think "i want EVERYTHING to be used by EVERYONE."
ppl need to realize this as well

Mama

Smash Ace
The Melee 2.0 plug in every thread is primarily used by scrubs who are hoping that in Brawl the changes in the way things work will make a huge difference. In my opinion its those very people who want a Melee 2.0. A game that works like Melee minus the current advanced play trends. Those are the people who will be let down the most. When the competitive players are striving to get better and reach new heights they'll be playing the way think "Sakurai intended". Oblivious to the evolution the meta game. The competitive adapt and the non competitive just scoff and insult and cry foul.

So what if its played with no items and on certain stages. Thats just the neutral set up to make the playing field even and not leave too much to random chance. Thats the way things are in the competitive scene. If you're going to make a point don't just say "this isn't Melee 2.0" say something more to the point and back up your statement with actual points rather than ignorance.

Thino

Smash Master
some techniques like L-cancel weren't mandatory since the beginning, people shouldnt complain about those being removed. 1v1, no items are just game settings , we can do whatever we want with those

Mama

Smash Ace
some techniques like L-cancel weren't mandatory since the beginning, people shouldnt complain about those being removed. 1v1, no items are just game settings , we can do whatever we want with those
True that. And with L-canceling gone the game isn't going to come crashing down. It'll just take on a new face and have different ways of play. You'll need to be conscious of your moves and their penalties when you move in for the attack now. L-canceling was a universal thing that all characters did which in itself raised the bar. Now all the characters seem to be incredibly unique and therefore have their own ways of play and strategies at hand. I think it'll be interesting. And who knows what will be unearthed down the line.

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I'm just curious why everyone adds the "point oh" part. Like, do you think Melee players who play Brawl are under the assumption that Brawl is some sort of firmware update?

Also I didn't realize wikipedia was a living, breathing entity. Oh the life I have lived has been wasted....

pictish freak

Smash Ace
I found this topic most confusing, initially. I get that you're calling people out on responding to any attempt at advancing the game with a 'this isn't melee 2.0' as if that means something. That said, it's still a semi-important meme. Like when people, after 2 days of brawl, were suggesting high gravity to become standard so that it'd be faster, since brawl looked slower than smash and killing looked astronomically harder.

In these instances, I can understand reminding people this isn't an expansion pack to melee with more characters and stages, but indeed a whole new game that needs time to settle in before trying to make changes that'd make it more similar to how end game melee looked.

Like anything, it's a meme that needs to be applied at the right times.

Top Bottom