• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This is not melee 2.0"

Pi

Smash Hero
Melee was a great ****ing game; If it 'aint broken don't fix it.

I'd have been probably (hopefully not) more happy if they, instead of making brawl, made a melee v.2 with great online play.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Then you misunderstand the intent of this thread.

I am rebuking those who say the phrase. I am tired hearing, "This is not melee 2.0" in every thread where someone posts an advance technique or try to play it in ways to increase the speed of the game. Like that phrase even makes any sense.

See THAT I agree with.

It helps the point I made on Page 1. At first, it was ok to say this wasn't melee 2.0 because it had a different point. It meant stop treating Brawl like it was the next melee and get used to brawl. But now, people who claimed to have 'learned' this now cry out "This isn't melee 2.0" just because someone did/found something that was in Melee as well (i.e. advanced techniques).

Now the original people saying "this isn't melee 2.0" could say "Melee wasn't the first/original" or something.
Point: Brawl is a NEW game. Brawl IS NOT the next Melee. But if people look for things in Brawl that were in Melee (like AT's but the same ones), that doesn't mean they're acting like Melee.

If you STILL don't get it: Pretend there's the guy. When he's 7 his mom has another baby. This guy decides to grow his hair out to about 5 inches. Now just because his parents are letting the baby grow his hair a few inches, DOES NOT mean they are treating him like their older son. It means they like long hair in the situation if compared to how people finding advanced techniques in Brawl are.

Get it?

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
Melee was a great ****ing game; If it 'aint broken don't fix it.

I'd have been probably (hopefully not) more happy if they, instead of making brawl, made a melee v.2 with great online play.
But now you still have the long-living and fun Melee, AND another kind of smash bros. Melee with more of nearly everything and many more modes including SSE would be great, and better than original Melee. BUT Melee isn't bad at all, so now instead of 2 cookies we have a cookie and a muffin.

And don't tell me you're allergic. :p

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
The strange thing is that when people say "Brawl isn't Melee 2.0," they are pointing out its biggest flaw.

Take a look at this conversation, crops up all the time:

"*Sigh,* too bad wavedashing isn't in Brawl"

"Gosh, Brawl isn't Melee 2.0"

EXACTLY! That's the problem with Brawl imo, Melee was a near perfect game, no need to fix what isn't broken.

I really hope that the community won't drop melee like it's hot, that would be very disappointing. As long as major melee tournies will still be held, I'll be fine.

Thino

Smash Master
The strange thing is that when people say "Brawl isn't Melee 2.0," they are pointing out its biggest flaw.

Take a look at this conversation, crops up all the time:

"*Sigh,* too bad wavedashing isn't in Brawl"

"Gosh, Brawl isn't Melee 2.0"

EXACTLY! That's the problem with Brawl imo, Melee was a near perfect game, no need to fix what isn't broken.

I really hope that the community won't drop melee like it's hot, that would be very disappointing. As long as major melee tournies will still be held, I'll be fine.
how can something new be fixed lol
dont worry im sure there will still be melee tournaments held

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
I made this exact topic (calling out the users of that phrase) months ago and it was deleted.
Everyone berated me when I said this. Times change.
Yeah, but you're not Wikipedia, the encyclopedia that everyone can edit!

But seriously, that "Brawl isn't melee 2.0" is getting old, and it was never cool in the first place.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
People also need to realize that this is the third installment in the series. There were two previous games, not one, and Smash64 was pretty competitive, too (although not near as much as Melee). In any case...there are certain consistencies true in BOTH previous games, which we EXPECT to hold true now. So it's not Melee 2.0, no. And it's not Smash64 3.0 either. But we do expect their to be similarities and consistencies that have held true thus far.

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
On a lighter note, it would've been quite strange if the game was actually titled "Super Smash Bros. Melee 2"? What would you people be saying then, huh? :psycho:

"This game is MELEE 2, NOT SUPER SMASH BROTHERS 3, FOOLS!!!!"

:psycho:

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I found this topic most confusing, initially. I get that you're calling people out on responding to any attempt at advancing the game with a 'this isn't melee 2.0' as if that means something. That said, it's still a semi-important meme. Like when people, after 2 days of brawl, were suggesting high gravity to become standard so that it'd be faster, since brawl looked slower than smash and killing looked astronomically harder.

In these instances, I can understand reminding people this isn't an expansion pack to melee with more characters and stages, but indeed a whole new game that needs time to settle in before trying to make changes that'd make it more similar to how end game melee looked.

Like anything, it's a meme that needs to be applied at the right times.
This is the smartest guy in this whole thread. Listen to him.

Top Bottom