• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game will be the ultimate (pun intended) disaster for tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Why the **** would they have a 10 minute time limit for unlocking characters? It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen in Smash Bros history, and random tripping doesn't even hold a candle to this.

I seriously think this game beats Brawl in the title of least polished Smash Bros game solely because they made unlocking characters way too stupid. If they include a cheat code to auto unlock all characters then I could care less but to make tournaments that annoying to set up?

This reminds me of the 10 coin thing in Mario Karts 7 & 8, where both are pointless additions designed to make you grind more. alongside the Pal Park 24 hour thing in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

Cannot believe Sakurai would **** up like this.

yknowlikenia

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5495 6606 4304
you can just quit out of the game and come back in to negate the timer. i understand the desire to hold tournaments asap, but the game isn't even out yet. people will have the whole roster in less than a day with the unlocking tactics they're finding.
it's meant to be fun to unlock characters, the game isn't built solely with competitive in mind. a negative mindset about a simple piece of the game is only gonna make you enjoy the game less in the long term...

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
you can just quit out of the game and come back in to negate the timer. i understand the desire to hold tournaments asap, but the game isn't even out yet. people will have the whole roster in less than a day with the unlocking tactics they're finding.
it's meant to be fun to unlock characters, the game isn't built solely with competitive in mind. a negative mindset about a simple piece of the game is only gonna make you enjoy the game less in the long term...
okay and why quit out of the game like this? What's the whole point of the timer?

I like to unlock things when the requirements are fun and not incredibly time consuming, such as Dr Mario, Jigglypuff and Falco in Melee. I don't like going through a lot of work for nothing, like when I tried to unlock Dry Bowser in Mario Kart Wii as it made seem like I was paddling and playing through the mode just to meet the requirements instead of spending more time in multiplayer. Smash 64 and Melee weren't exactly the most accessible, but there weren't many unlocks to begin with and they weren't that long. Brawl had some questionable decisions, but Ness and Marth weren't too bad. Smash 4 I really enjoyed unlocking content, as everyone could be gotten in a short amount of time. Ultimate just because the biggest disaster.

I'd really hate to play on someone else's switch only for them to be missing a character I like to use. Just what was Sakurai thinking?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Tournaments will still find a way to get around that. Imagine setting up MvC2 for tournaments...

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
This game has only been out for negative five days. Give it some time instead of automatically assuming the unlocking process is a nightmare.
okay and why quit out of the game like this? What's the whole point of the timer?
I think he was refering to the time required of gameplay to unlock all the characters. Quitting and coming back in a week or maybe even a fortnight won't do anything but prolong the unlocking process.
I'd really hate to play on someone else's switch only for them to be missing a character I like to use. Just what was Sakurai thinking?
It's a simple solution to a minuscule problem. Unlock everyone, bring your own Switch, and if they don't have all the fighters, then ask them to use yours instead. If you're playing with friends, I'm sure they would be elated to have their favorites too, but they're probably going to say no if you're missing some fighters they like, so it's important that you unlock everyone.
Quitting and coming back in a week or maybe even a fortnight won't do anything but prolong the unlocking process.
Sorry, when I was making this at first, I forgot something crucial. Something most people probably won't understand. A fortnight (not to be confused with the game Fortnite) is a unit of time equal to two weeks.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People say unlocking all of the fighters takes no longer than 3 hours. How much time do you have on your hands that makes it impossible for you to do so?

leejaybird

Smash Cadet
NNID
leejaybird
Closing out the game and starting it back up resets the timer. This method takes less than three hours to unlock every character. Doing it the old fashioned way would take 660 minutes or 11 hours. Basically everyone who gets the game on Friday will have every character unlocked by Saturday.

I kinda like that not every character is available from the get go. It would be nice for veterans, but for newcomers maybe not so much. It gives people new to the series a chance to slowly try out each character as they are unlocked. Having over 70 characters to choose from might be overwhelming for new players and is likely why they decided to do it this way.

Khao

Smash Lord
I'd rather have character unlocks limited to one every 24 hours before the return of random tripping.

Either way, this game apparently features some of the fastest unlock methods in the whole series, so I don't know what you're on about. This is far better than spamming 1-Stock SDs hundreds of times.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
User was warned for this post; trolling
*sigh* Why are you still on here? Your contumacious harangues are getting you nowhere. You’re just making yourself look histrionic at this point.
because people would happily accept things instead of having high expectations for companies. For everyone to refuse to pay for online is a big example.

Closing out the game and starting it back up resets the timer. This method takes less than three hours to unlock every character. Doing it the old fashioned way would take 660 minutes or 11 hours. Basically everyone who gets the game on Friday will have every character unlocked by Saturday.

I kinda like that not every character is available from the get go. It would be nice for veterans, but for newcomers maybe not so much. It gives people new to the series a chance to slowly try out each character as they are unlocked. Having over 70 characters to choose from might be overwhelming for new players and is likely why they decided to do it this way.
And what's the point of the timer if people will just bypass it in an annoying way? Why include such a timer for the first time in the series?

People say unlocking all of the fighters takes no longer than 3 hours. How much time do you have on your hands that makes it impossible for you to do so?
I can do all characters in that amount of time, but the time spent doing that could be better spent on more fun things don't you think? Especially if you could do multiplayer instead.

This game has only been out for negative five days. Give it some time instead of automatically assuming the unlocking process is a nightmare.

It's a simple solution to a minuscule problem. Unlock everyone, bring your own Switch, and if they don't have all the fighters, then ask them to use yours instead. If you're playing with friends, I'm sure they would be elated to have their favorites too, but they're probably going to say no if you're missing some fighters they like, so it's important that you unlock everyone.
Well unless they have the auto unlock cheat code I'm not too sure.
And why make people do things this way every time? Why not make them do it once and never again?

I'd rather have character unlocks limited to one every 24 hours before the return of random tripping.

Either way, this game apparently features some of the fastest unlock methods in the whole series, so I don't know what you're on about. This is far better than spamming 1-Stock SDs hundreds of times.
1 stock SD's wouldn't shorten the time that much but they're easier to set up per character. Beating classic mode could get repetitive quickly and is 2 player max.

If classic mode is short, fun to play through and there are no challenging battles then I wouldn't mind as much.

Kairyu24

Smash Cadet
It seems easy enough if they don't patch the exploit. It's a feature for those who get overwhelmed by choices. This way players get to have a spotlight moment with most of the roster. I do recall the smash 4 roster being quite a wham upon starting even if I knew the roster from every specific reveal.

They could add a tournament mode like ARMS did(it might get one with demand), but the little trick will do for them, still faster then melee or brawl.

With a casual player the various approaches probably will sync with each other. You get a story approach, it will be possible within hours to look up unlock paths to your must-haves, and if letting the timer be the gaps in your roster caused by unneeded characters will fill up quickly. It works out for whatever main approach one sticks with. A casual person not relying on the internet will stumble on everything in a day, maybe two, and the more relaxed player will be pacified by constant unlock moments. They might have added more novel unlock criteria for the fun of it, but it will resolve itself quickly.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Well unless they have the auto unlock cheat code I'm not too sure.
And why make people do things this way every time? Why not make them do it once and never again?.
If you get invoted over for a Smash Ultimate party, why would you not bring your switch (or controlers at the very least)?

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Yo dude:
Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 had much more ridiculous ways to unlock characters.

Reminder:
Smash Melee had you leave your GameCube on for 12 hours in a battle, just to unlock a single character.

Brawl had you go through a 15 hour story mode.

Smash 4 just made you grind battles.

And guess what?........ tournaments have been just fine.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
User was warned for this post; flaming
Why the **** would they have a 10 minute time limit for unlocking characters? It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen in Smash Bros history, and random tripping doesn't even hold a candle to this.

I seriously think this game beats Brawl in the title of least polished Smash Bros game solely because they made unlocking characters way too stupid. If they include a cheat code to auto unlock all characters then I could care less but to make tournaments that annoying to set up?

This reminds me of the 10 coin thing in Mario Karts 7 & 8, where both are pointless additions designed to make you grind more. alongside the Pal Park 24 hour thing in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl.

Cannot believe Sakurai would **** up like this.
Are you really this ludicrously whiny?

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Yo dude:
Melee, Brawl, and Smash 4 had much more ridiculous ways to unlock characters.

Reminder:
Smash Melee had you leave your GameCube on for 12 hours in a battle, just to unlock a single character.

Brawl had you go through a 15 hour story mode.

Smash 4 just made you grind battles.

And guess what?........ tournaments have been just fine.
Melee had some questionable decisions, but classic mode was enjoyable to go through and there weren't that many unlockable characters.
Subspace Emissary was terrible, but grinding battles wasn't that painful compared to Melee.
Smash 4 grinding battles were easy to do and could be done in mutliplayer. And I discovered with Duck Hunt back in January that if you meet the requirements to unlock someone and fail the battle, simply playing a VS match would trigger the rematch. So I actually enjoyed it.
Ultimate locks pretty much every character and adds a 10 minute time limit. I read that they even put in the time limit for classic mode and world of light although it could be incorrect.

If you get invoted over for a Smash Ultimate party, why would you not bring your switch (or controlers at the very least)?
I might, but what if I'm using multiple setups and not every console has all the characters?

Are you really this ludicrously whiny?
If Nintendo is idiotic to put in stupid decisions like this then I will criticize them.

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Melee had some questionable decisions, but classic mode was enjoyable to go through and there weren't that many unlockable characters.
Subspace Emissary was terrible, but grinding battles wasn't that painful compared to Melee.
Smash 4 grinding battles were easy to do and could be done in mutliplayer. And I discovered with Duck Hunt back in January that if you meet the requirements to unlock someone and fail the battle, simply playing a VS match would trigger the rematch. So I actually enjoyed it.
Ultimate locks pretty much every character and adds a 10 minute time limit. I read that they even put in the time limit for classic mode and world of light although it could be incorrect.

I might, but what if I'm using multiple setups and not every console has all the characters?

If Nintendo is idiotic to put in stupid decisions like this then I will criticize them.
It’s not in World of Light mode. You unlock the character there, you unlock the character in general. No time limit, no anything.

You can unlock the entire roster in 3 hours.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
because people would happily accept things instead of having high expectations for companies. For everyone to refuse to pay for online is a big example.
In that case, you have the most inexcusably “high” expectations for Nintendo ever. I just play their games to enjoy them. I don’t give a partridge in a pear tree about Nintendo’s Online, anyways. I don’t even play on it often.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
*sigh* Why are you still on here? Your contumacious harangues are getting you nowhere. You’re just making yourself look histrionic at this point.
What I learned on Smashboards today is...

Anyway, on to the topic at hand...

If you didn't know any better about an unlock timer, such a thing could only be known right now due to an early access data mine dump (which doesn't even have access to the confirmed Day 1 Patch), you would've been blissfully unaware of something that would only be maybe considered a minor nuisance in hindsight. And you never would've noticed it otherwise. If the game hadn't leaked early, this wouldn't have been an issue. You could've gotten the game, played it, unlocked all the characters in 3-4 hours, and never have known there was a timer.

Honestly, you're whining for the sake of whining.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If you’re playing with so many cobsoles that local connection is 100% necessary, chances are at least one other person will have them all too.

This shouldn’t be an issue.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
At least you won't have to leave your game running for hours and hours.

The timer being bypassed is most-likely (if not obviously) an unintentional bug/exploit.

Nintendo isn't pandering to competitive players only; they want an experience that a lot of players will also find fun and interesting (yes, there are people that like spending time unlocking things in a game, even characters).

Tourny-hosts can just finish WoL on all of their Switches.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Wow, do you complain about birthdays coming around only once a year too? It's a relatively-short hurdle that becomes irrelevant the moment the final character is unlocked. The issue of how much a console can unlocked is a non-issue given how portable a Switch (or its memory card) is anyway.

If the core gameplay of Smash Bros isn't enough to keep you playing for the half-a-day it takes to unlock everyone, then you weren't going to like Smash Bros in the first place.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Since most of this topic is just sniping at the opening poster, it's going to be locked.

While we aren't fans of rant threads, we're even less fans of flaming. Grow up.

In addition, infractions have been given out for that kind of behavior. Please try to show more maturity in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom