• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game NEEDS more hype.

yaowa

Smash Rookie
Why isn't this game more popular? You can literally play this game at any pace you want to, but I would prefer ssb64 to be more popular in competition.

I could be wrong but this isn't on game battles. Maybe that could help some?

For the short time I've been playing this game the community has been extremely helpful and easy going. A great community in fact. So, any ideas on expanding?

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
where are you from? depending on your area, you can generate interest with your friends and form a small local scene and play on console, and from there see if you can branch out via facebook/other media forms to start organizing tournaments.

for instance, i know like, 10+ people who play and aren't bad at all but never went to a tournament, so their interest never progressed past getting drunk and ****ing with each other. i tried to get a bunch of them to come to things like rbr and apex but they weren't down for it. even the local tourney hosted here at Rutgers, i figured, with so many of them being students, they'd come, but, nope. it's all about convincing them to participate in the scene.

you should locate other players on the map (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=207052029912080345759.0004d83725abc4a6e1e21&msa=0) and see who's near you. if you can start playing with 2-3 others, i'm sure those in your vicinity would be willing to play at some point.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I think just get people to play

Also be happy with what we have and try to make it better as well as larger, a 90 man tourney can be every bit as fun as any 400 man tourney if the guys are dedicated, friendly, competitive, and hype.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
would you guys say that the scene has been growing or shrinking over the years? im interested to know how its changed since i only started getting involved recently

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
That's too bad Sangoku. kinda off topic but i played this random guy online like a month ago and he was totally destroying me with 11 frames of delay lol. he told me it was his first time playing online and i asked him where he was to have such high frame delay and he said Europe (i forget what actual country he said). He said he is roommates with a guy that goes by Bear who i guess is a good smash player in europe? He said that he usually gets destroyed by Bear when they play. Anyways he said it was annoying playing with such high delay and i told him he would get much lower delay if he played on the European server. Did he ever make it over?

Sangoku

Smash Master
That's too bad Sangoku. kinda off topic but i played this random guy online like a month ago and he was totally destroying me with 11 frames of delay lol. he told me it was his first time playing online and i asked him where he was to have such high frame delay and he said Europe (i forget what actual country he said). He said he is roommates with a guy that goes by Bear who i guess is a good smash player in europe? He said that he usually gets destroyed by Bear when they play. Anyways he said it was annoying playing with such high delay and i told him he would get much lower delay if he played on the European server. Did he ever make it over?
I don't think he's ever joined the online scene. Bear is one of those top Europe players who dropped. Since I've started, top players who quit: bear, maddy, lawrencelot, smakis, king funk, dandan, craig, and those I forgot. Now top players include Fays, Mahie and Jam. That's quite a drop in 2/3 years.

banze

Smash Journeyman
This game definitively needs more hype for such a good game it is.

As I see, on theses past months it has only grown bigger. More and more people are participating and country's are ,communicating with each other.
Here in Brazil, we can feel a good hype for the game right now with the next tournament coming and all.

but then again, all you have to do to help the scene is to incentive more players to play, have fun with it, get interested for it, and then get them to join the scene if they fell like it.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Definitely seems to be growing in North America. A lot of new and seemingly dedicated people have come around the past year or so (noticeable on smashboards and kaillera).

We had the biggest documented console tourney ever with Apex 2013. Brazilians and Japanese showed up!!

The north east seems to have a healthy and stable console tourney scene. A couple years ago, almost no region in North America could claim that.

Social media sites like facebook have made it possible to reach all those casual living room warriors who think they're the best at ssb64. Thanks to that there seems to be a lot of playntrade/gaming store tourneys attracting all kinds of new people who weren't previously involved in the competitive scene.

IMO the ssb64 scene is probably the strongest it's been since the early 2000s.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
king funk quit? He was streaming 64 this time last year :(.

This game is very old and thus getting on something with MLG is just not going to happen. They don't even have wii, xbox, or ps2 on game battles still, there's no way we'd get n64 on their unfortunately. I also don't see this game ever getting more hype than melee does, though we've done a decent job of hanging around with melee and getting some hype from their community, which is awesome of them to let us do. But melee is newer, the gameplay is faster, and they almost ALWAYS have good commentary on big matches. This makes it more entertaining to watch and makes it more likely that people from outside the community will watch and maybe pick up the game. We have gotten better about providing videos with commentary, but us dropping the ball with the audio at apex certainly did not help us. No one from outside the community is going to watch a muted video of ssb. Even a video with sound but no commentary might be a bit dull for many people. The best thing we can do to reach the "masses" is make our videos as entertaining as possible by getting good quality audio and video with commentary. Starting at the grassroots level and talking to people you know irl is a great thing to do to grow your local scene as well.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
this upcoming Apex, we need like, five recording setups. i enjoy doing commentary and wouldn't mind bouncing around between friendlies to do so.

this goes for zenith, as well. i love hearing other people give their input during a match - the isai/link match from apex 2012 had me cracking up from valoem and sensei ****ing with each other. and battlecow's orgasmic hype is good for the mic.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
this upcoming Apex, we need like, five recording setups. i enjoy doing commentary and wouldn't mind bouncing around between friendlies to do so.

this goes for zenith, as well. i love hearing other people give their input during a match - the isai/link match from apex 2012 had me cracking up from valoem and sensei ****ing with each other. and battlecow's orgasmic hype is good for the mic.
Link to sensei/jerry commentary

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yes. specifically 6min in.

"okay, valoem is coming to give some of his...he thinks he can do commentary"
"okay, so what game set is this? is this game 1?"
"you don't even know what game it is?! get out of here, you call yourself a commentator, go away"

also youtube comments:
RKODragon15 2 weeks ago
noob comentator
j bensing 2 weeks ago
The narrating ruins the video.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
the problem is very few people commentate well. At one of the nj tournaments some guy who knew nothing about smash was commentating most of the matches. He actually had a good voice for it and could get hyped up but he just said so many incorrect and silly things that it ruined it. When people do commentary they need to take it seriously and try to help the viewers along as well as make the match entertaining. People incapable of doing that shouldn't be on the mic, because it does actually turn people away if they commentate.

Sangoku

Smash Master
I think gimpyfish commenting on the stream was hilarious. Made everything much more enjoyable. But again, he's not really a 64 player.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
was gimpyfish the guy from that seattle tournament? I actually liked that guy, whoever he was. Didn't know too much, but he knew he didn't know too much so he wasn't saying obnoxiously false things, plus he was pretty entertaining.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Commentary does not really help in expanding our community IMO. It's more likely commentary would negatively impact new/casual players impressions than positively. What one person finds entertaining another person finds annoying.

Like gimpyfish, clubba and sangoku found him entertaining. Nothing against the guy but I think his constant laughing is pretty annoying.

New players get excited about the cool combos not commentary. It's the experienced players that really care about commentary.

Olikus

Smash Champion
wut king funk quit? Ill talk some sense to him and get him back no worries. And bear is back in skypegroup =) And this summer oli is back as well. Bright days ahead for euope ^^

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Jerry one time when we went out to eat did his Madden impersonation smash commentary and it was amazing. He needs to do it for zenith

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Commentary does not really help in expanding our community IMO. It's more likely commentary would negatively impact new/casual players impressions than positively. What one person finds entertaining another person finds annoying.

Like gimpyfish, clubba and sangoku found him entertaining. Nothing against the guy but I think his constant laughing is pretty annoying.

New players get excited about the cool combos not commentary. It's the experienced players that really care about commentary.
Strongly disagree based on the success of pretty much any televison program/stream in which a game is played. Anything from sports, to chess, to other video games like Starcraft/LoL all have commentators for a reason. People generally don't like watching something without words for prolonged periods of time. Certainly no commentator can please everyone, but if we had like 4-5 good commentators who consistently commentated and/or streamed games, that would be provide a decent boost.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Maybe you're right I dunno. All I know is that I certainly didn't need commentary to get into competitive melee or 64. Nor did anyone I know.

Combo vids with good music entertain me far more than commentary.

Plus some commentators annoy the hell out of people.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Combo vids with good music entertain me far more than commentary.
that is the single most irritating thing for me hah

but if we had like 4-5 good commentators who consistently commentated and/or streamed games, that would be provide a decent boost.
i think the latter half is more important than the former. i still sometimes watch this guy stream his age of empires games, and from time to time, i think about getting back into it. then i remember the community i played in is dead.

spreading the word, advertising the stream, talking to people, hyping, etc. let's all make twitters and get "#ssb64" trending.

B-Town

Smash Apprentice
I watch melee videos a lot because they have interesting games and especially commentary, and I don't even play melee. I think commentary is very important especially when the commentators discuss the character matchups, the player matchups and playstyles and hype at the same time.

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
would you guys say that the scene has been growing or shrinking over the years? im interested to know how its changed since i only started getting involved recently
I've been at it since 2004 with the smash 64 community, our scenes lost some interesting players but on a whole we've definitely grown wider. The accessibility of kaillera definitely helped things, it gave new players a chance to grow and expand their skills, especially the ones that couldn't travel and wouldn't have dedicated time otherwise.

As far as 64 needing more hype...yea probably, it could definitely grow 64 into more events and spread love for the game. That's definitely a good thing as you see more and more playstyles, tournaments and other awesome kinds of players pop up. I sure as hell don't wanna see 64 die off, but we're a long way from that. So long as 64 smash is peoples comfort zone or even comfort game, we'll continue to see people play it.

Honestly imo, as I've talked with a few players about, I hate large tournaments/events simply because I hate loud environments, I don't like idiots screaming in my ear and actin like a buncha monkeys jumping around, so as a result i've been fine seeing 64 as a side event. Maybe I've outgrown that kinda atmosphere playing this series for so damn long...idk anymore.:glare:

TANK64

Smash Lord
Good commentary is great. I also love watching vids with commentary much more. If it's good that helps too lol.

I like Battlecow's and Nintendude's for this past Apex.

Despite all the hate on Battlecow on Youtube. I thought he did great. And nothing he said was untrue lol, guess peeps just be hating.

Also Nintendude did pretty good too.

Knowing the community/matchup/culture/history/scene is good and stuff for commentary. A hype + an informant usually works too.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Most of the hate on Battlecow was him freaking out at and hyping up everything Isai did. Sometimes it was awesome: "This is Isai's last stand!", but other times it was kind of annoying.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
One thing I think SSB64 really needs is recognizable top players. The only top-level matchup that occurs with any regularity is Boom vs Isai, but the hype kind of gets taken away since Isai always uses alt characters in tournament. What the 64 scene lacks is top-level players playing at their highest level with some regularity, like an Armada vs PP. When these matches happen often, rivalries develop and lower-level players stick with the scene because of interest in seeing what will happen at the next tourney. Perhaps if the Japanese or Peruvian players came over more often, and if Isai played his better characters, the scene would get a lot more hype.

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
I started watching brawl because of good commentating. Now I play and enter brawl tournaments regularly. If good commentators helped me get into brawl it can help people get into SSB64.

Also good commentating makes matches more rewatchable.

Would the wombo combo video be as hype if the commentators were muted?

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Maybe you're right I dunno. All I know is that I certainly didn't need commentary to get into competitive melee or 64. Nor did anyone I know.
A lot of the new age Melee players joined the scene BECAUSE they got hyped from commentary from HMW/Phil (wombo combo) and at other large nationals. It's a big reason Melee has seen a boost recently.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
One thing I think SSB64 really needs is recognizable top players. The only top-level matchup that occurs with any regularity is Boom vs Isai, but the hype kind of gets taken away since Isai always uses alt characters in tournament. What the 64 scene lacks is top-level players playing at their highest level with some regularity, like an Armada vs PP. When these matches happen often, rivalries develop and lower-level players stick with the scene because of interest in seeing what will happen at the next tourney. Perhaps if the Japanese or Peruvian players came over more often, and if Isai played his better characters, the scene would get a lot more hype.
Yea it is a bit anticlimactic since no one in NA has a good chance of knocking off either Isai or Boom. And Boom doesn't have a realistic chance at beating Isai if Isai goes high tiers. Seems like its tough for Boom to close that gap as well since he doesn't have anyone to play online around here that would really push him to the limit. Kind of sucks, but really all people can do is continually get better and try to catch up with them.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
actually i think it's better that isai doesn't always play his high tier because it would be rather boring to watch him play all pika and fox and wipe the competition. watching him play a low tier and have it be really competitive is more hype to me. apex 2012 boom vs isai comes to mind. That was a really exciting set.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
actually i think it's better that isai doesn't always play his high tier because it would be rather boring to watch him play all pika and fox and wipe the competition. watching him play a low tier and have it be really competitive is more hype to me. apex 2012 boom vs isai comes to mind. That was a really exciting set.
Yea but he shouldn't have to do that. Honestly we all need to get a lot better like the other communities that have multiple high level players.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Most of the hate on Battlecow was him freaking out at and hyping up everything Isai did. Sometimes it was awesome: "This is Isai's last stand!", but other times it was kind of annoying.
*Isai gets forward smashed*

Bcow: NNOOOOO

I liked Battlecow's commentary. Honestly, commentary got me excited about smash. I think it's good for newcomers.

Top Bottom