• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game NEEDS more hype.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yo Midwest god BODIED at zenith. Is firo even MW anymore? Get on our level MW. Actually, get on level 1 first.
oh yea 5 of the top 8 is getting BOPPED.

Sensei > battlecow

kero/megavolt > han solo

stranded/valoem > everyone else you got.

WHERE'S THE BOPPING SON?
MW exposure is off the charts right now.
LMAAAOOOOOO. This is what I've been waiting for.

Keep in mind that WC isn't exactly a single cozy place. I'd have to catch a plane, get a hotel room, and probably rent a car to attend a CA tournament, so in the end it wouldn't be that far off from simply flying across the country to an Apex or other NE event. I believe there was a fairly lively CA scene a few years ago, but most of these players have either retired, vanished, or moved on to other things. The only active player over here I know of who is at, near, or above my level is Isai, and I can't exactly just hop in my car and go play in a random tournament with him.

I'm not really sure what to do about this situation, to be honest. You can't conjure Smash talent out of thin air. I'm trying to revive the WC online scene, maybe that will be a good start.
Bane (a top online player, probably one of the best players in the country) is from the WC IIRC. MIght be hard to track him down though.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Bane is San Diego I think. I also don't think he's been to anything since a Melee tournament back in like 2006 or something.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I understand that WC is a gigantic region. What I suggest doing is going to smashfests and tournaments in your state, regardless of what games are being played. Show up with an n64 and some controllers and offer to teach people the game. Your local scene already has a TO that hosts 64 events (gimpyfish) so that makes it easier to maintain interest among the people you play with.

I also suggest making a facebook group. How can the scene keep in touch otherwise? The EC facebook group has over 100 people in it. Less than half go to tournaments, but for the rest of them that facebook group is there to keep them in the loop about smashfests and tournaments going on. The more people in the group, more people that will invite their friends. It's a great way to just get the word out in general.

Lastly, reach out to online players and find a way to integrate them into the console scene. I'm sure there are other online players in the Pac NW. Recently, EC has seen a boost from experienced veterans like A$, Fireblaster, and LD attending tournaments for the first time. At Apex we saw people like I Love Smash, Combo Blaze, etc. come out.

The process of growing a scene is self-perpetuating. The more people that are active, the more stuff just sort of happens on its own. The key is to just getting the ball rolling some how and to start small. You live in Washington, so don't even worry about Cali and the Southwest. Just see what kind of activity you can get going locally.
EC 64 facebook group? Do you have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/134497873392355/

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I rewatched some of the Zenith vids today. Kero's commentary was pretty solid. He shared some game knowledge and kept things interesting despite being the sole commentator at times.

Olikus

Smash Champion
I didnt like him as commentator so much. LD and boom was definately The best. Clubba and han solo was allso very good togheter. But overall it lacked hype. I allso didnt like that many of The commentators stated thing as facts, that either is wrong or up for discussion at least. They should use more imo.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I allso didnt like that many of The commentators stated thing as facts, that either is wrong or up for discussion at least. They should use more imo.
Kefit said the same thing. Can you give an example? If I said something wrong, I want to know what it is.

Olikus

Smash Champion
Kefit said the same thing. Can you give an example? If I said something wrong, I want to know what it is.
i dont remember persons or matches to be spesific. But Im pretty sure you wasnt one of them since I liked your commentating very much.

But it was stuff like falcon vs pika on DL is a horrible MU. Im aware of that not all people think falcon ahs a change there, but its not like a ness recovery sucks fact, that everyone agrees too. So it was stuff like that in general, which could be okay if they just said imo first. But I got the impression that many of the statement was meant as a lecture to people who dont knpow the game very well. And if you know your opinions are controversal you shouldnt state them as facts.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
yea if anyone said falcon v pika is a horrible matchup on dreamland they are crazy. its like 51-49 falcon.

Kabutox

Smash Apprentice
Once I have a mic, cam and a new PC, I will be streaming matches daily. If anyone is interested in joining in on the stream over skype to generate hype and keep the people interested, please let me know.

Time to give smash the attention it needs, not the attention it deserves.

Top Bottom