• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game is balanced: here's why

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Ask a person who they think the most unbalanced character is.

"Snake, obviously. ******** amount of kill moves, insane recovery for his weight. It's ridiculous."

"Olimar, he's got WAY too much power. He's such a cheap ***** with his pikmin."

"PIT! His arrows and side-B spams are completely ridiculous!"

"Ike! He is way, WAY too strong and heavy for the speed he has!"

"Metaknight. He's so fast and has such great B moves, he's the noob character of brawl."

"ROB! THE SMASHES, RECOVERY, AND AIR ATTACKS ARE RIDICULOUS! I HATE ROB!"

"Wolf. Everyone move he has a complete destroyer, as well as an easily spammable blaster."

"Toon Link. So small and hard to hit, has insane power and recovery. Such a noob character."

"Pikachu. His Thunder and smash attacks are impossible to punish. He is the ruiner of worlds."

"Marth. Incredible speed, incredible power. Still the noob character he used to be."

"Lucas. His up-smash is unreal, and his pkthunder is way too easy to spam and destroy with."

There is no single consensus on who the 'best' characters are anymore. In melee, it was pretty clear that Falco, Fox, Sheik and Marth had a leg up on everyone else in the competition. In brawl? Hell no. There's so much disagreement about who is the best...because there is no best.

although Pit is definitely up there ;)

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Dont worry, it will be "unbalanced" eventually. That is, when people figure out how to make the most out of stuff that is powerful.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
Dont worry, it will be "unbalanced" eventually. That is, when people figure out how to make the most out of stuff that is powerful.
And what if ALL characters have a few amazingly powerful (read: broken) moves? Then is when Sirlin said it was balanced!

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
Ask a person who they think the most unbalanced character is.

"Snake, obviously. ******** amount of kill moves, insane recovery for his weight. It's ridiculous."

"Olimar, he's got WAY too much power. He's such a cheap ***** with his pikmin."

"PIT! His arrows and side-B spams are completely ridiculous!"

"Ike! He is way, WAY too strong and heavy for the speed he has!"

"Metaknight. He's so fast and has such great B moves, he's the noob character of brawl."

"ROB! THE SMASHES, RECOVERY, AND AIR ATTACKS ARE RIDICULOUS! I HATE ROB!"

"Wolf. Everyone move he has a complete destroyer, as well as an easily spammable blaster."

"Toon Link. So small and hard to hit, has insane power and recovery. Such a noob character."

"Pikachu. His Thunder and smash attacks are impossible to punish. He is the ruiner of worlds."

"Marth. Incredible speed, incredible power. Still the noob character he used to be."

"Lucas. His up-smash is unreal, and his pkthunder is way too easy to spam and destroy with."

There is no single consensus on who the 'best' characters are anymore. In melee, it was pretty clear that Falco, Fox, Sheik and Marth had a leg up on everyone else in the competition. In brawl? Hell no. There's so much disagreement about who is the best...because there is no best.

although Pit is definitely up there ;)
When was the last time you heard someone complain about Yoshi or DK being overpowered? :laugh:

It's true that this game is more balanced, but that doesn't mean there won't be tiers or anything.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Don't ask people's opinion on balance. Check tournament results.

XESTICLE
1. Cort (Snake)
2. Mew2King (Dedede)
3. PC Chris (Snake/ROB/Falco/Meta Knight)
4. Dazwa (Zero Suit Samus/Meta Knight)

C3
1. chillindude829 (Dedede/Snake/Fox)
2. Forte (Meta Knight/Bowser)
3. Azen Zagenite (ROB)
4. LoZR (Wario)

Final Smash 3
1. Mr. 3000 (Sonic)
2. T-Rex (Snake)
3. PozerWolf (Snake)
4. Hylian (G&W)

UofM Biweekly 14
1. Vidjogamer (Meta Knight)
2. Needle of Juntah (G&W)
3. Euch (Meta Knight)
4. Anther (Pikachu)

Indiana Brawl Tournament
1. Cosmo (G&W)
2. Overswarm (ROB)
3. mendoza (Lucario)
4. sofa-king 742 (Pit)

Arena 51 Biweekly
1. PikaPika (Pikachu/Toon Link)
2. Kirk (Snake/Ike)
3. Silverspawn (Meta Knight/ROB)
4. N.OW (Ness)

Lolful
1. phanna (Marth)
2. Mystery (Wolf)
3. ÜberIce (ICs)
4. Nero (Meta Knight)

Trash Day 4
1. T-Rex (Snake)
2. Jra64 (ICs/Marth/Meta Knight)
3. Roy (Marth/Meta Knight)
4. Sethlon (Falco/Ike)

Capital Brawl
1. DSF (Snake/Marth)
2. Germ (Wolf)
3. Zelgadis (Dedede)
4. ZodiakLucien (Wolf)

Based on this, we've got
Top placing characters
Snake (7 top4's, 4 1st)
Meta Knight (9 top4's, 1 1st)
High placing characters
Marth (4 top4's, 2 1st)
G&W (3 top4's, 1 1st)
Dedede (3 top4's, 1 1st)
Was seen sometimes
Pikachu (2 top4's, 1 1st)
ROB (3 top4's)
Wolf (3 top4's)

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Don't ask people's opinion on balance. Check tournament results.

Based on this, we've got
Top placing characters
Snake (7 top4's, 4 1st)
Meta Knight (9 top4's, 1 1st)
High placing characters
Marth (4 top4's, 2 1st)
G&W (3 top4's, 1 1st)
Dedede (3 top4's, 1 1st)
Was seen sometimes
Pikachu (2 top4's, 1 1st)
ROB (3 top4's)
Wolf (3 top4's)
My guess is that snake is mostly shock value. He's good for now because people haven't played against him much. At the same time, characters like diddy and DK are becoming better characters. At the las Oakland tourny Diddy took the top 2 spots. Oh, did I mention IC are going to be seen too? (I'll be one of them)

shadydentist

Smash Lord
At this moment, you can't make the argument that brawl is more balanced than melee. The same ~5 characters are generally clogging up the top 8.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
My guess is that snake is mostly shock value. He's good for now because people haven't played against him much. At the same time, characters like diddy and DK are becoming better characters. At the las Oakland tourny Diddy took the top 2 spots. Oh, did I mention IC are going to be seen too? (I'll be one of them)
Haven't played against him much? This game has been out for more than a month, and for nearly three months if they started playing since the Japanese copy (very much true for the majority of California). Top players from Melee are using Snake and taking him to the top. If anything, I'd expect to hear a "haven't played against much" reasoning for Ice Climbers or Diddy Kong, not Snake.

Snake is both a top placing character and an overplayed one.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I think it's time to get off the Snake is just overhyped/overrated/ hard to play against boat.

Snake ***** 80% of the cast with his ******** hitboxes alone.

Resident_Smash_Genius

Smash Journeyman
Haven't played against him much? This game has been out for more than a month, and for nearly three months if they started playing since the Japanese copy (very much true for the majority of California). Top players from Melee are using Snake and taking him to the top. If anything, I'd expect to hear a "haven't played against much" reasoning for Ice Climbers or Diddy Kong, not Snake.

Snake is both a top placing character and an overplayed one.
::shrug:: Clearly I need to go to a few more tournaments.

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
This game is balanced enough.

It's okay guys, but consider something. There is hype about the new characters. As old characters didn't got new moves (apart from Final Smashes), people tend to try and main the new ones. Old characters aren't being used that much. As this hype decreases and some people return to use old characters, we will see. As far as I've seen, Sakurai did an outstanding job at balancing the game. And without doubt this game is much more balanced than Melee. I've seen every character kicking a_s_s , if used properly. Tiers on tournaments right now are about characters being most played, not because they are more gifted.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tiers in tournaments have usually been the characters doing the best, which happened to be the characters being most played most of the time as well.

I've seen pretty much the entire cast of characters used a decent amount in tournaments, with the exceptions of Yoshi and Captain Falcon. If it were all about the new characters, wouldn't we see more Sonic, P. Trainer, Diddy as well? And what about Game & Watch placing so well? He's a Melee veteran character. Same with Marth.

WR3K

Smash Ace
balanced is when ALL the characters have a chance in a match, not just the top tiers

when a link or kirby can be just as competitive as a marth or falco.... that is balance

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Kirby can, since he is actually pretty solid.

Link, however...>_>

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Off course. They may be used by some loyal fans. Or people who feel better with an old character. But, take for example that many recognized players from Melee are now using new characters. Even when people do use old and new. The new ones are being used the most. As another example. Right now I cannot say who will be my main for years to come. But I've being trying new characters the most (Pit, Diddy, Metaknight, Lucas, etc) , and I've liked many of them. If I went to a tournament, I would probably have the best chance with one of this new ones I've been using, as my skill with Ness from Melee isn't directly ported to Brawl for obvious reasons.

Rash

Smash Ace
Yeah, Kirby can definitely hold his own against prior high-tier characters. Link is tougher to use and be good with, which is why he's not in the spotlight. Since he's not a sure thing like Marth and Falco, people don't use him. They're scared to use him.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
You should add this to the OP:

"The ICs. Their chaingrabs scare me. A 0%->KO changrab combo is cheap. They must be banned."

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
There's no such thing as a balanced fighting game. That being said, Brawl is more balanced than most I've seen. Though that might change if something is discovered.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Lets just all agree that snake is just stupid...

snake player:
*approaches*
*shields*
*f-tilits out of sheild*

rinse repeat...

Obviously a player will change that up, but the Ftilt out of the shield is a broken move.
It's unavoidable (unless you spam projectiles, and who wants to actually do that? not me).

Trying to sheild it just results in your shield eventually breaking, trying to roll behind it results in you getting caught in the move regardless, and trying to shield grab a snake during that move does nothing. You just get hit by it.

Lazer/shine spam ftw against snake?
lol.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i predict that as the metagame develops, the percentage of viable characters will eventually become lower than melee's

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
since the first time I knew snake was in I knew he was going to be at the top.
The game still has 4-5 characters at the top almost just like melee with a little added balance.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're asking random people who know very little about the game about who they feel are the best and using the fact that they all aren't in agreement as a basis for that the game is balanced?

Ask any random person who hasn't played Melee for a really long time about who they feel are the best. See how many answer Fox and Falco. And see how many claim Roy is superior to Marth.

No, this proves nothing. It's just history repeating itself.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Psh, this game isn't balanced. People are tripping all over the place!

BA DUM PSH!

</lame joke>

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes people are just crying about strategies they cannot overcome (the same happens with items). Their negative attitude make others think the game is unbalanced and not well designed. They may be true somehow but it is very common that they are far from the truth.

Gonzoyo

Smash Cadet
I also think Wario and Zelda will start placing higher. Zelda has great breakability potential, and Wario is too sick in the hands of a skilled player.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Heh... you want balance... play the game with friends... you can be anyone you want and get away with it! :bee:

And yes Brawl does look to be the most balanced so far, but I can see Snake becoming a huge pain in the next few months followed by some of the other popular characters. The bright side is that with fewer difficult advanced techniques and the majority of the cast being much more powerful, there is a lot of freedom of choice and practically anyone who has mastered their character can be competitive.

Hopefully if there is another game, they will see what they've done well and not **** it up and see what they have done poorly and improve on that.

Besides tripping, poor online play, and Snake's insane hitbox, there isn't a whole lot to complain about.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
I would disagree that Brawl is more balanced than Melee. People look at Melee and say, "Oh, only Marth/Fox/Falco/Captain Falcon/Shiek/jigglypuff/peach win tournaments." And to an extent, this is true. Almost every tournament is won by one of the above characters. But despite Brawl's greatly expanded cast, we still only have a similar number of characters winning tournaments.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
How dare you not add

"The King: D3 of course, he can kill you at 30% and Waddle Dee's can kill!!!" or something

Because Dedede is awesome

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
Overpowered, projectile abusing, and combo-potential characters will most likely place at the top of tournaments. As of right now, it seems too early to make an accurate assumption, but just like melee, there will be a select few on the top. There may be a larger number of characters at the top (maybe 2 or 3 more), but balance seems to be the same as melee's (even with tripping, downgraded edgeguarding, ect.).
Dedede is awesome
Yes.

Siamese Lizard

Smash Apprentice
I would say something to add but everyone else already did, the game is unbalanced. Not all the characters are, only a selected few so far are more trouble than others because of cheapness. Otherwise, the game is balanced enough. The game has not been out very long so we still have to explore it and not judge the game so quickly.

Top Bottom