• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Characters, The Definitive Choices

Zevox

Smash Lord
Trolling? Go post something stupid in Smogon and look at a mod's post for trolling.
Just because there are worse examples of trolling out there does not make what you posted any less so trolling.

Biggie Smalls said:
Sonic has a gruesome anime
Opinion, and irrelevant. We're talking about the video game character here - even many of his game fans dislike his anime.

Biggie Smalls said:
Lloyd Irving blends in perfectly
Irrelevant, since SSB is a conglomeration of so many different things almost any video game character could.

Biggie Smalls said:
and had a major game.
No, he did not. He has a single game with a cult following of fans, many of which have significant criticisms of it. You cannot possibly compare that to characters with large franchises who are iconic to the video game industry, such as those being discussed here.

Biggie Smalls said:
He should be in some form.
He won't be. Namco has several much bigger, more popular characters that are certain to get in before him, the biggest of which is the gaming icon Pac Man, who completely overshadows Lloyd.

Biggie Smalls said:
Geno has a large fanbase, look out who you're messing with.
You're not even reading what I posted about him, are you? Again, the OP already explained that hes not on the list because, as Geno fans are so quick to point out, Sakurai considers him first party.

Biggie Smalls said:
Paper Mario's series was awesome. He deserves some kind of form in Brawl regardless of party.
Again, this is not the place to discuss Paper Mario, as he is not third party.

Drclaw411 said:
No Viewtful Joe = Mecha-Fail.
Viewtiful Joe = Capcom = completely overshadowed by Mega Man, Resident Evil, Street Fighter, heck, even Ace Attorney. Not even worth listing on something like this.

Zevox

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to order a large MEGA-MAN with fries please hold the Rayman and Pacman.

Oh can I also have a side order of Bomberman too please? Thanks.

Oh and Gex 64 was such an amazing game. Cant believe he hadnt been brought up before wont happen though. If i could throw my hat into the ring and suggest my most desired third party character not on your menu.....

100% not going to happen but a guy can dream...

volbound1700

Smash Master
In the journal, Sakurai said that there was a tentative 1-2 more third party after Snake. Tentative means it can definitely change.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I know this thread is for the most HIGHLY choices (which I would disagree concerning Pac-Man) however I have to throw this out. Plus I know it will give vesperview a heart-attack.

KOS-MOS

Reasons: She's awesome, has awesome weapons, and has blue hair and blue haired anime chicks is an ultimate win. Even though she has only one game on the DS I believe, Monolith was bought out by Nintendo so we could possibly in some fragmented time-shfiting once in a thousand chance of her being included.

Plus, truthfully, she is my most wanted Third party character

Haha.

Now seriously, even though I was serious. I wouldn't mind seeing Megaman or Bomberman as a 3rd party character. They would be both intresting and unique. However, for me, Pacman just seems stupid. I know he is a icon and I know he's from Namco and blah blah blah. I just don't like him. I love his game but seeing him playing, to me, leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

vesperview

Smash Hero
*Haves heart attack* lol I just don't feel she has done anything special in Nintendo to guarantee her inclusion, I don't know what's up with the Pacman hate, if someone had suggested Game and Watch before Melee came out they would've expect the same reaction.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Yes!

Yeah, I know. She just rocks though. Her only hope is being recognized as a retro character in 2040 and included in Super Smash Brothers Retro Edition.

*NormalGamer*

Smash Rookie
Are you crazy? No one remembers this guy.
@ *referring to bold*

Um, I did.

I'm one of those gamers that remember him, very well. I played Gex: Enter the Gecko for the PS1, even thought Gex 64(port of Enter the Gecko) was on the Nintendo 64. Pretty fun platformer. :)

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
You forgot two other characters (one i can understand):
Earthworm Jim (Atari)
Geno or Cloud (Square)

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
The way I would want it:

1.Rayman
2.Geno
3.Megaman
4.Bomberman
5.Pacman

The way it's probably gonna be

1.Megaman
2.Geno
3.Rayman
4.Bomberman
5.Pacman

Also what the hell, Paper Mario isn't Third Party...

tirkaro

Smash Champion
*Haves heart attack* lol I just don't feel she has done anything special in Nintendo to guarantee her inclusion, I don't know what's up with the Pacman hate, if someone had suggested Game and Watch before Melee came out they would've expect the same reaction.
I dont mean to change the subject, but weren't you the one who made the anti-pacman thread? or was that entire thread just sarcasm :confused:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I don't see why we needed this topic. There was already one almost just like it. Hell, I remember YOU posting in it, vesperview.

I suppose that Geno is the one I support the most. I like Sora a lot better, but I realize his chances are slim, and Geno could bring more to the game anyways.

raul

Smash Lord
I feel that we are going to get Mega Man, I just do. So if there are 4 3rd party character spots, I believe it will look like this:

1.) Snake
2.) Sonic
3.) Mega Man
4.) Toss up betwee Ray-Man (has had his games come out for Wii, so recent popularity)
Bomber-Man (a classic on NES)
Pac-Man (a well known classic)

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with aevery character this person said. Bomberman and Pac man especially suck.

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
I don't know where you get the idea of Pac Man being likely...

Pac-Man IS likely.
First of all and most importantly, Pac-Man is one of the most famous video game characters ever. Pretty much everyone knows who he is. He was the main character of one of the most famous games of all time. That alone would give him a decent chance of being in Brawl.
Secondly, he has also appeared in a Nintendo game before: Mario Kart Arcade GP. If Nintendo's used Pac-Man in one of their games before, it can't be too difficult to get the developers to allow Nintendo to use Pac-Man again?

And yes, I have been playing too much Phoenix Wright.

platnum

Smash Lord
Third party characters have to meet a certain criteria to be in Brawl, which is to have been on a Nintendo system, the following characters are probably the most requested and more obvious choices to be in Brawl.

Megaman

Company:

Megaman is potentially the most requested third party character left, and probably first in line to be the third party, not only is he Capcom's mascot and most famous character, he has a series of games in Nintendo consoles that spans from 1987 to date, this are

* Mega Man – Famicom/NES, 1987
* Mega Man 2 – Famicom/NES, 1988
* Mega Man 3 – Famicom/NES, Arcade, 1990
* Mega Man 4 – Famicom/NES, 1991
* Mega Man 5 – Famicom/NES, 1992
* Mega Man 6 (Japan/US only) – Famicom/NES, 1993
* Mega Man 7 – Super Famicom/Super NES, 1995
* Mega Man 8 – PlayStation & Sega Saturn, 1997
* Rockman & Forte (Japan only) – Super Famicom

Among others, Megaman is most likely going to get be the third party left to be confirmed, he is on Sakurai's Poll too.

Bomberman

Company:

Bomberman comes from the company Hudson Soft, which you know are responsible for the Mario Party series, which I think gives them a little advantage over other characters, while Bomberman's moveset seems to be limited to bombs only, they obviously can come up with different ways to use it, despite is low profile on recent years, he would be second in line after Megaman, his recent inclusion on the Xbox probably holds him down.

Rayman

Company:

Rayman first debuted in the Atari Jaguar, the Sega Saturn and Playstation, the sequel was the one that appeared on the N64, and many people (including me) think that Rayman was just good in his first game, the sequels are monotonous and boring compared to the original, plus he is not a very famous character for Nintendo, his one of the third parties with the lowest chances of making it.

Pacman

Company:

Pacman is a character that debuted in arcade in 1980, he is probably the best known video game character in history and pop culture, he's Namco's mascot and he also appeared on Mario Kart for the arcade which certainly does improve his chances a lot, while his recent games are not as good as the old ones, he is the retro character that could make it for a Mr. G&W effect in Brawl.​

If you have any suggestions for characters (realistic ones), post them.

Notice: Only one character per company, requesting Viewtiful Joe when you have Megaman would've been like suggesting NiGHTS while you had Sonic... the main entry of the company will be in the game, not some cult favorite.

Weird, all of this characters have MAN at the end of their names.
You forgot mog.(FFVI)

platnum

Smash Lord

Pac-Man IS likely.
First of all and most importantly, Pac-Man is one of the most famous video game characters ever. Pretty much everyone knows who he is. He was the main character of one of the most famous games of all time. That alone would give him a decent chance of being in Brawl.
Secondly, he has also appeared in a Nintendo game before: Mario Kart Arcade GP. If Nintendo's used Pac-Man in one of their games before, it can't be too difficult to get the developers to allow Nintendo to use Pac-Man again?

Pacman Sucks

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Pac-Man IS likely.

That doesn't make him likely...

I mean he's competing with Megaman and he wasn't even on the poll

Andy4Brawl_911

Smash Journeyman
I feel that we are going to get Mega Man, I just do. So if there are 4 3rd party character spots, I believe it will look like this:

1.) Snake
2.) Sonic
3.) Mega Man
4.) Toss up betwee Ray-Man (has had his games come out for Wii, so recent popularity)
Bomber-Man (a classic on NES)
Pac-Man (a well known classic)

omg u forget earthworm jim... lol... from atari:chuckle:

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
actually, vesperview, I believe Crash Bandicoot would have "more" of a chance than Rayman, but of course his chances are slim as well

VDZ

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't make him likely...

I mean he's competing with Megaman and he wasn't even on the poll
<Hold It! speech balloon>

I'm not saying he's competing with Megaman. Mega Man will be in, I'm quite sure of that.
However, 2-3 third-party characters was a tentative number; I think there will be four third-party characters in Brawl: Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man.

Cojiro

Smash Journeyman
Ggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Megaman is likely, but he is kinda smelly. In my opinion he lacks the WTF factors of Snake, and the deservedness of Sonic.

Everyone wanted to see Sonic vs Mario. Everyone.

I doubt anticipation level is remotely as high with the blue-dude.

ndm508

Smash Journeyman
Good lord, I swear we could have a 100-man roster and people still wouldn't be satisified with this game.

I do think Megaman has the most chance of getting in. Pac-Man and Bomberman, while I don't care, They're videogame legends, they deserve it. But I won't care either way. Geno, well, I don't know why Nintendo can't buy the rights to him or something, it's not like Square uses him for anything.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
My picks:

1) Snake (Confirmed)
2) Sonic (Confirmed)
3) Megaman (Seems like the most popular and obvious choice)
4) Marina (We know that Treasure is featured in the game with a Sin & Punishment AT so this one doesn't seem like a longshot anymore. Besides, she fits the mood of the game perfectly.)
5) Crono (This one has very slim chances but come on, Crono is just awesome. If there is going to be a Square/Enix character, my first pick would be him)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I believe that it is between Megaman and Bomberman. In an ideal world, Sakurai will add them both, and we will cry tears of joy endlessly.

Wasserman

Smash Rookie
I apologize if this has been said but what about a Castlevania character, like Simon Belmont?

Darky Dee

Smash Journeyman
I forget, so forgive me for not referring to everyone by their usernames.

But I wouldn't be surprised if Mog was in there. Square-Enix's bond with Nintendo seem to have shifted for the better the past couple of years, especially with Square producing Mario 3-on-3 Hoops, and increasingly adding their Crystal Chronicle titles, with Chocobo Dungeon's, Final Fantasy ports, and some Final Fantasy remakes. With all that written though, I would prefer a black mage, Mog wouldn't really utilize the fullest Final Fantasy well-known magic they use like Firaga, Blizzara, etcetera.

As for Namco, I think Soul Calibur's Nightmare has taken on more of the mascot figure. If anyone from Namco would be on there, it is likely to be either Nightmare or KOS-MOS, which on another note, KOS-MOS was made by Monolith Software, which is now owned by Nintendo, and has their Japan-only released Xenosaga Episodes I&II on the Nintendo DS.

And I wouldn't be too sure about Konami adding another character to the roster for that Simon Belmont reference. I really want either KOS-MOS or a Black Mage from the Final Fantasy series, but my gut instinct feels that Megaman is going to seal the deal. I just hope they chose a nice design of him, probably from Megaman Command Mission X, but for the sake of his robot dog making a cameo apperance, I am suckered into the classic design, so perhaps he can use a recovery move by dashing in the air on his dog like a skateboard.

Top Bottom