• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
There was a poll conducted in Japan and Paper Mario was heavily requested. I've heard he was popular in japan as well and that was before the poll. Hopefully he has a chance this time. Oh and a side note. . .
Paper Mario SHOULD NOT be an assist trophy. IMO, he's either playable or not.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
There was a poll conducted in Japan and Paper Mario was heavily requested. I've heard he was popular in japan as well and that was before the poll. Hopefully he has a chance this time. Oh and a side note. . .
Paper Mario SHOULD NOT be an assist trophy. IMO, he's either playable or not.
the thing is, I know there's a thread where chronobound did some research and I don't even think they mentioned mario newcomer alot

don't worry I don't even think of him being an AT would make sense (imo at least)

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Paper Mario is my number one most wanted newcomer now that Little Mac is confirmed.

I love the idea of a hugely hammer-based regular attacks. Figured his side smash could be the basic hammer swing. Up special a jump attack... maybe chargable per TTYD? He needs his partners. I like the idea of random partners used during a special.

I'd prefer referencing the first two games more than anything else. Because of that, I think it would ben cool to use a Crystal Star attack as a Final Smash. I'd like to see Art Attack, but that's mostly for the possibility of touchscreen controls for it. Earth Tremor is more memorable to me, though, so that would be cool to see too.

I would even accept references to SMRPG or the Mario and Luigi series in his moveset a bit, if it could makes sense.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
How about this? The Glitz Pit is a stage in the Wii U version, where the characters would look as they would in a paper mario game. Same concept with a Sticker Star stage in 3DS

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
How about this? The Glitz Pit is a stage in the Wii U version, where the characters would look as they would in a paper mario game. Same concept with a Sticker Star stage in 3DS
glitz pit is mentioned alot and it seems pretty good but I like battle stage from TTYD more. You can have a bunch of hazard (fog, crowd) and the background could change (so you could put gliz pit here). Really, I'm okay with not playable but a stage since it would be so much fun... (not for competitive but still).

Staarih

Smash Master
I liked the moveset idea last page, especially the random partner idea! I think I'd personally have neutral B as a basic (chargeable) hammer attack though, and have the flip/thin as paper mode as the animation for his shield (sort of like Yoshi has an egg). I do agree that TTYD has so much to offer, but I had this other idea for his Final Smash, which comes from Sticker Star: the stage could freeze (or not necessarily) and the curtains roll down, and empty boxes appear on top of the opponents. Now, these empty spaces would acquire stickers, which you could either choose yourself or then it would just be random (choosing yourself may be too slow). Different stickers have different effects on opponents. Some hurt the foe, some heal the foe (mushroom), some shrink the foe etc... and if one happens to get a Kersti sticker, it would be instant K.O.

hehe, maybe a bit silly though.

As for stages, I feel like a generic "battle arena" from basically any Paper Mario game (the stage, curtains, audience, maybe a changing background) could work and be very iconic to the series. But I'd enjoy specific areas from any game as well.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Suffice to say Paper Mario's inclusion would make me really happy.

The hope I have is that Sakurai is choosing more obsure characters and likes implementing unique traits of them into gameplay. This SCREAMS Paper Mario.

The only downside is ... well ... it's another Mario. On the surface, that's already a no-no. But we will see I guess.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Another downside is that his main gimmick (being a 2D fighter) is already taken by G&W. Rosalina's presence isn't doing him any favors either.

I'd scream like a little girl if he made it in since Paper Mario 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games from my childhood, but I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
G&W may be flat, but he's more of a representation of 8 bit and really only includes G&W stuff to his move set. Paper Mario would use the flatness in his play style instead of just a satirical aesthetic.

But, again, on the shallow end of things, that could prove to be an issue

Staarih

Smash Master
I personally don't think two flat characters would be an issue. Being thin and flat is a "thing" for both G&W and Paper Mario, sure, but they both represent different things. Like LackadaisyAlax just said, G&W represents the 8-bit era while Paper Mario would be... paper, essentially, in a humouristic way. I feel like Paper Mario would be more dimensional anyway, being able to flip and hop in all directions, while G&W pretty much stays in the same position all the time. Their movesets would also be very distinct.

I think that the larger problem for some is that Paper Mario would be "another Mario". Technically, yes that's the case, but it's pretty obvious that Paper Mario is drastically different from normal Mario. He wouldn't use a cape or F.L.U.D.D. and he has a hammer, among other things, to use. But it's really up to Sakurai if he wants to make Paper Mario a clone or not. If that was the case, I would be disappointed, since Paper Mario has more than enough unique traits to make him very different, if not a complete opposite, of normal Mario.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
also, idk if the waluigi deconfirmation has to with this but it seems that this thread begins to be more active and I like it.

EDIT: for the another mario argument, I won't say it again (the post above explains enough) but how I see it is a bad book cover on an awesome book. And you know the expression don't judge a book by it's cover. Well that's exactly the case here people tend to dislike him because of him being another mario but what's inside is alot better than a clone or even a semiclone. It's unfortunate but because Sakurai probably know this, it doesn't affect his chance. Tough, yes I'm worried about the fact that Rosalina use a similar mechanic.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
And you know the expression don't judge a book by it's cover. Well that's exactly the case here people tend to dislike him because of him being another mario but what's inside is alot better than a clone or even a semiclone.
That's the only argument that I can somewhat accept, I don't like Toon Link but not because he's another link, but due to him being very similar when he could be unique. Paper Mario would be completely different. Well he should be anyway. Other than the fact that he's Mario. . . His uniqueness that could be brought into Smash, popularity, and moveset potential could earn his way as a playable character. I believe Sakurai stated that those were the main components for new characters. Sadly, I don't see him making it in Smash 4 :crying: but there's hope. After Rosalina, I feel like his chances dropped immensely but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
At first, I nerver understood why people liked Paper Mario. But I just got Super Paper Mario this friday and I'm loving it so far. Now I want Paper Mario so badly.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that I think about it... what makes Paper Mario unique? Rosalina already got the puppeteer playstyle with Lumas... that puppeteer playstyle could have worked for Paper Mario and his partners.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Now that I think about it... what makes Paper Mario unique? Rosalina already got the puppeteer playstyle with Lumas... that puppeteer playstyle could have worked for Paper Mario and his partners.
tbh with you, I tought the same and I unfortunately only have an answer that doesn't sounds convincing but I'll try anyway (hey, I know that his chance are low but I just want at least a music from the series because the serie is underepresented now)

So, what I noticed right away with every paper mario game that is unique is the paper itself. But it wasen't just the locations but the interaction that paper mario does with it like spring jump, flip, tube etc... in regard to partner, the major difference I can see between them and luma is that the partner do a completly different ability from eachother while the luma is more of one single partner that has a complete moveset (I don't think pm's partner will be a whole moveset but just a move).

In fact, I think that as of now, this is the most problematic and relevant argument against him but what can you do? Sakurai will decide (but please rep this serie more)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
This is what I posted on RTCR:
Paper Mario could be a very unique addition. He could summon different partners or even implement a new mechanic called FP(Flower Points). As the match goes on, his FP accumulates over time and is able to do different techniques. For example: after accumulating a certain amount of FP, Paper Mario's Hammer could cause a side effect such as shrinking, dizziness, or his Hammer Quake. After using such move, his FP would lower. He could also glide via Paper Airplane. . .
On top of that, his partners each have different abilities and the variety of badges they could choose from gives him a boost in uniqueness.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think making a character "unique" necessarily requires any sort of gimmick - I personally would have welcomed Rosalina even without the whole puppeteer thing, or Little Mac without the K.O. meter. I've said before that ANYTHING can be made unique if wanted so. And Paper Mario's main thing is being thin as paper, so his attacks should emphasize on that (rolling, paper plane, folding and all that, the abilities he has in the games + the hammer and sorts of course). His partners are a big thing in the games, but I'm not sure how to implement that in as there are loads of them by now. People are afraid he would be a clone of Mario but if done right, that will certainly not be the case, and thus he would still be unique and workable even if he didn't have any sort of gimmicks.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's kinda impossible for him to be a clone of Mario. He doesn't have FLUDD or the Super Cape. So there goes two special moves. He never shoots fireballs out of his hands until Sticker Star. Also, Paper Mario does not punch.
@ Staarih Staarih : I agree, there's no gimmick needed to make someone unique. He could simply have a moveset based on the games.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Behind Chrom and Shulk, Paper Mario is my most wanted character. If Toon Link, Young link, and Dr. Mario can be in Smash, Paper Mario can too! And he'd be more unique than those three as well.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I don't like when this thread is dying it makes me sad :( so here's a bump!!!
(hope this one will be worth it)

So, I just tough of this if they remove any transformation, does this affects bowser jr's chance? I'm asking this because I remember that I heard that bowser jr would transform to shadow mario at one point.

Now, I just want to tell you that I think that a sixth mario is possible as long as there something unique and worth to have here. I don't think Rosalina affected his chance because if you look how she works it's not the same as paper mario's partner. Rosalina can put a minion and attack from distance. Paper mario's partner are switchable and use completely different move to assist him so it's not the same at all. It's like pokemon trainer but instead of switching characters, you switch special moves and I think I never saw a character do that (pokemon trainer has to change to whole character to do this which might lead to some difficulties regarding their stats) so that's why his chance are still there. If you add stylish moves, paper abilities, hammer stuff and huge final smash possibilities, you get a character that stands out enough of mario (and the artstyle just helps this).

Let just say again that I think out of all possible 6th mario rep, he has the most chance to get there bacause it's a totally different series (btw, I still don't understand why some people are sqying that the rpg series looks the same as mario; so many things are different that I can't list them all). Which also means that if he has the mario icon, it wouldn't matter because people will realize by playing as him how it is NOT a mario clone (like dr mario).

But, I have also to point out that some characters need to go before him (ridley, chrom, king k rool, etc...) and that lower his chances; but then again we're dealing with a possible roster of 45-48 characters so I think there will be JUST enough places but it is a thing to consider.

Let me finish this wall of texts by saying that even if I want the character, the only disappointment I'll get would be if the whole series isn't reped more than brawl (only stickers and trophies). As a person who tested the inside of the game TTYD for 6 months, (long story, wanted to find skip to make speedruning easier) I just REALLY wonder why no

music
trophies that represent the environment
stages
any other reference like assist trophies or items

was NOT in brawl. Seriously, I interpret TTYD as an almost perfect game that just push the rpg style further. I was amazed by the details in this game so why it doesn't get more credits? You have to play this game to understand what I mean. You have to experience it to know why paper mario should at least get more representation.

let's hope everyone; we might end up surprised by hoping.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't like when this thread is dying it makes me sad :( so here's a bump!!!
(hope this one will be worth it)

So, I just tough of this if they remove any transformation, does this affects bowser jr's chance? I'm asking this because I remember that I heard that bowser jr would transform to shadow mario at one point.

Now, I just want to tell you that I think that a sixth mario is possible as long as there something unique and worth to have here. I don't think Rosalina affected his chance because if you look how she works it's not the same as paper mario's partner. Rosalina can put a minion and attack from distance. Paper mario's partner are switchable and use completely different move to assist him so it's not the same at all. It's like pokemon trainer but instead of switching characters, you switch special moves and I think I never saw a character do that (pokemon trainer has to change to whole character to do this which might lead to some difficulties regarding their stats) so that's why his chance are still there. If you add stylish moves, paper abilities, hammer stuff and huge final smash possibilities, you get a character that stands out enough of mario (and the artstyle just helps this).

Let just say again that I think out of all possible 6th mario rep, he has the most chance to get there bacause it's a totally different series (btw, I still don't understand why some people are sqying that the rpg series looks the same as mario; so many things are different that I can't list them all). Which also means that if he has the mario icon, it wouldn't matter because people will realize by playing as him how it is NOT a mario clone (like dr mario).

But, I have also to point out that some characters need to go before him (ridley, chrom, king k rool, etc...) and that lower his chances; but then again we're dealing with a possible roster of 45-48 characters so I think there will be JUST enough places but it is a thing to consider.

Let me finish this wall of texts by saying that even if I want the character, the only disappointment I'll get would be if the whole series isn't reped more than brawl (only stickers and trophies). As a person who tested the inside of the game TTYD for 6 months, (long story, wanted to find skip to make speedruning easier) I just REALLY wonder why no

music
trophies that represent the environment
stages
any other reference like assist trophies or items

was NOT in brawl. Seriously, I interpret TTYD as an almost perfect game that just push the rpg style further. I was amazed by the details in this game so why it doesn't get more credits? You have to play this game to understand what I mean. You have to experience it to know why paper mario should at least get more representation.

let's hope everyone; we might end up surprised by hoping.

I was thinking the same thing. It's a shame that Paper Mario becomes turned down due to him being another Mario character yet he could be one of the most unique/different character in the roster. The Zelda series has Toon Link which is a different Link and we have Sheik as a separate character now which is technically still Zelda. That makes 2 alternate versions of characters in ONE SERIES!(I have nothing against either) Assuming Ganondorf returns, we would have 5 Zelda reps. And I think we'll see a Zelda newcomer as well. That'll make 6 reps. I'm tired of people complaining about the possibility of another Mario newcomer. MARIO DESERVES 6 REPS! And like you said, I think Paper Mario has a good chance. I've heard he's among the most popular requests in Japan. And if Sakurai is considering more unique characters this time, Paper Mario would comfortably fit in. Sadly, I doubt we'll see him in this installment but I still have my hopes up. Paper Mario is da' man.

Staarih

Smash Master
I never really thought of the Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario thing as a possible no-no now that transformation characters are gone, interesting. But he does still have the paint brush and anything can be made unique, as I've always said, so I wouldn't count him out just yet...

...but I still think Paper Mario has the edge over any other Mario character. I may be biased, but I feel like he has so much more to offer than many other characters within the franchise, and is definitely one of the more recognizable ones. And surely he could even represent his own series if "six Mario characters is too much!". The Paper Mario games have sold extremely well, I was actually a bit surprised when I saw some of the figures. But the games are really good so I guess I should have guessed that.

But if he doesn't make it as a playable character, I will come and hunt you down Sakurai I definitely hope for more representation of the Paper Mario series. So much potential for stages or assist trophies, for example. Out of my two Mario RPG character wants we all know Geno is pretty much impossible... so I'm relying on Paper Mario. Here's hoping!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I never really thought of the Bowser Jr./Shadow Mario thing as a possible no-no now that transformation characters are gone, interesting. But he does still have the paint brush and anything can be made unique, as I've always said, so I wouldn't count him out just yet...

...but I still think Paper Mario has the edge over any other Mario character. I may be biased, but I feel like he has so much more to offer than many other characters within the franchise, and is definitely one of the more recognizable ones. And surely he could even represent his own series if "six Mario characters is too much!". The Paper Mario games have sold extremely well, I was actually a bit surprised when I saw some of the figures. But the games are really good so I guess I should have guessed that.

But if he doesn't make it as a playable character, I will come and hunt you down Sakurai I definitely hope for more representation of the Paper Mario series. So much potential for a stages or assist trophies, for example. Out of my two Mario RPG character wants we all know Geno is pretty much impossible... so I'm relying on Paper Mario. Here's hoping!
Actually, I recently checked the stage discussion thread and they would love a TTYD stages I think that it would have one of the best stage potential.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Actually, I recently checked the stage discussion thread and they would love a TTYD stages I think that it would have one of the best stage potential.
It's sad that such a successful series doesn't get as much rep as it should. Yes, the trophies and stickers are nice and all but like another member pointed out earlier, there's not even a single song from ANY of the Paper Mario games. . . I'm biased towards Paper Mario because it's my favorite Mario series out there, but it really deserves more attention and representation. I'm watching you Sakurai!

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I agree with Rockaphin. M&L is an awesome series but I'd say Paper Mario beats it by a little and it truly deserves some recognition in Smash.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. It might stay active longer if we compiled a moveset. There really is so much potential for paper mario that if they developed him I'm sure it'd be nearly impossible to waste it and make him anywhere near a clone.

The only bad thing I can see happening is them taking too much from Sticker Star, the weakest entry in the series, just because it's the most recent.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I agree with Rockaphin. M&L is an awesome series but I'd say Paper Mario beats it by a little and it truly deserves some recognition in Smash.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. It might stay active longer if we compiled a moveset. There really is so much potential for paper mario that if they developed him I'm sure it'd be nearly impossible to waste it and make him anywhere near a clone.

The only bad thing I can see happening is them taking too much from Sticker Star, the weakest entry in the series, just because it's the most recent.
The Mario & Luigi Series was really good. I still need to pick up Dream Team.
Yeah I wouldn't want a Sticker Star moveset. It's definitely the worst in the series but if you're able to pretend it's not Paper Mario then I think it's actually an okay game. People call it the Other M of Paper Mario but I wouldn't know because I'm not far in Other (so far it seems ok, but I haven't played any other Metroid game).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The Mario & Luigi Series was really good. I still need to pick up Dream Team.
Yeah I wouldn't want a Sticker Star moveset. It's definitely the worst in the series but if you're able to pretend it's not Paper Mario then I think it's actually an okay game. People call it the Other M of Paper Mario but I wouldn't know because I'm not far in Other (so far it seems ok, but I haven't played any other Metroid game).
okay let's put the game design choice aside and only talk about moveset potential.

I think that, from the look of it, sticker star can add more moveset potantial in a way that isn't bad. Because the game didn't respect what made the serie so good doesn't mean he should not have any move from this game (take samus for instance she's from other m but it doesn't look bad to me).

Also, I want to get back 3 facts on this thread that should bring up some discussion.

1. For some weird reason, a paper mario shaped trophy is unlocked after beating classic mode with all characters (this is a reference to another rpg please someone get this).

This is far streched to think about this but did you noticed that both in ssbm AND ssbb, you receive the same trophy if you beat classic mode with every characters this trophy happens to be paper mario but why the same one? It just felt "special" for me because normally, all the unlockable are kind of random if you take the method to unlock them but paper mario's trophy have the same unlock method. I don't know about you but it makes me ask coincidence?

2. Even Sakurai knows that he's unique.

I've heard so many times that Sakurai decides basically everything should go in an ssb game. I've also heard that he worked A LOT on ssbm. So, I don't think it's far stretched to say that he worked on the trophy description right? Well, in ssbm, the paper mario trophy says that his game have an "unique artistry". If Sakurai agreed to put this in the trophy description does that mean he acknowledged his uniqueness since ssbm?

3. not really related to ssb but mayabe for paper mario.

I've heard back in September 2013 that an intelligent system employee said that he's working on an unannounced wiiu game but he worked on sticker star. If this game is a paper mario game, maybe it will be our chance to get a game that borrows elements from TTYD that make it so good?

That's all I have to say. One thing I want to suggest, if the OP is still following this thread, is please redo the whole OP like people that are interested in this thread doesn't fully know about his whole potential why not add moveset (there's a ton scattered in this thread that are good), counter arguments (not a clone, uniqueness, potential representation outside a character) and musics? This thread may dies quicker because of it. so, who wants a new OP?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
New OP is definitely necessary.

Also, I don't really think G&W hinders him that much. He has a lot going for him that G&W has nothin' on. Can you transform into a paper airplane? That's what I thought.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Which Paper Mario design would you guys like?

I actually like the Sticker Star design. But I'd prefer his moveset to have more influence from the first Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
It could be interesting to have the real-life paper craft kind of look.. but I think he might be better represented with solid color that stands out and is less affected by light. However I might be saying that partially because of the fear that if his look is inspired his moves will be inspired.

I haven't really read the rest of this thread but the partners could be incorporated well into his moveset. They would almost instantly come out of his hammerspace (or just really big pockets?) and use their signature moves.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Which Paper Mario design would you guys like?

I actually like the Sticker Star design. But I'd prefer his moveset to have more influence from the first Paper Mario and Paper Mario TTYD.
Well remember that I'm HEAVILY biased on this one but I have to go with the TTYD one.

I played the first game and ironically, I found out that the design was its bigest flaws. I didn't feel that it was made of paper but I'de rather say cardboard the difference here is the design doesn't emphasis of how a paper can be folded easily. This resulted to a design that even being very unique felt too "hard" and closed. but, tbh, the fact that it was released on the n64 just explains this so it's not a bad thing intelligent system did what they could and it turned out to be great.

It is between TTYD and sticker star. both are good with the second one emphasis on REALLY thin paper sticked together (actually, that fits perfectly the game). But here's why I'm so biased about TTYD being the best design (and the whole game itself) This is a long story so feel free to read it or not:

I played on December 2012 (so, can't say I'm nostalgia blinded). I remember that I loved it because of how it takes all the elements in the first game the furthest they could have ever been pushed. While I was doing this, I was enjoying the speedrunning community and I loved this community so much that I decided it was time for me to do my part... as glitch hunter. For those of you who don't know how you glitch hunt a game you basically need to know the very inside of the code of the game by trials and errors. With these conclusions, you make theories and you think what you can do if whatever theory is true. It is legal to use exploit in speerunning and by that time, TTYD was not popular because it took 6 hours to do it. I tough it was underrated and would be so fun if I find stuff.

But if you think about it, you will need to play this game for hours and hours and view the same graphics and hear the same music every time you do something. It is impossible to do this and not loving the game. I did end up finding stuff but not as significant as I wanted (tough, my avatar is unique because of it so lol) I said earlier that I spent 6 whole months of tests! And I can tell you I still love this game today but my conclusions makes the game even better.

Intelligent system; their name fits perfectly how they made TTYD. When I started my tests, I was one of the few that tough that this game has breaking potential. But once I got on emulator, things changed. I was the only one capable of testing with emulator + hacking the memory while the game is running. I discovered that the whole game was just impossible to break. Want to go to the teleporter house early? well, the elevator don't work. Want to go out of bounds to reach inaccessible area? well, you are spawned when you loaded the map so no. In the end, I discovered more impossibility. To make this game detailed both outside and inside is just amazing. We tried like for MONTHS to get this fr***ing ultra hammer early by clipping out of the bar in rogueport (btw yes the chest is openable from the platform), no result. It is possible but only with hacking. Since this time, I understood what the potential TTYD has, the devs was determined to make a detailed and unique game even in the inside.

If you TL;DR, I have to prefer the TTYD one because I spent so many times on this game and I still love it and I don't think it would have been the case for sticker star.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Well remember that I'm HEAVILY biased on this one but I have to go with the TTYD one.

I played the first game and ironically, I found out that the design was its bigest flaws. I didn't feel that it was made of paper but I'de rather say cardboard the difference here is the design doesn't emphasis of how a paper can be folded easily. This resulted to a design that even being very unique felt too "hard" and closed. but, tbh, the fact that it was released on the n64 just explains this so it's not a bad thing intelligent system did what they could and it turned out to be great.

It is between TTYD and sticker star. both are good with the second one emphasis on REALLY thin paper sticked together (actually, that fits perfectly the game). But here's why I'm so biased about TTYD being the best design (and the whole game itself) This is a long story so feel free to read it or not:

I played on December 2012 (so, can't say I'm nostalgia blinded). I remember that I loved it because of how it takes all the elements in the first game the furthest they could have ever been pushed. While I was doing this, I was enjoying the speedrunning community and I loved this community so much that I decided it was time for me to do my part... as glitch hunter. For those of you who don't know how you glitch hunt a game you basically need to know the very inside of the code of the game by trials and errors. With these conclusions, you make theories and you think what you can do if whatever theory is true. It is legal to use exploit in speerunning and by that time, TTYD was not popular because it took 6 hours to do it. I tough it was underrated and would be so fun if I find stuff.

But if you think about it, you will need to play this game for hours and hours and view the same graphics and hear the same music every time you do something. It is impossible to do this and not loving the game. I did end up finding stuff but not as significant as I wanted (tough, my avatar is unique because of it so lol) I said earlier that I spent 6 whole months of tests! And I can tell you I still love this game today but my conclusions makes the game even better.

Intelligent system; their name fits perfectly how they made TTYD. When I started my tests, I was one of the few that tough that this game has breaking potential. But once I got on emulator, things changed. I was the only one capable of testing with emulator + hacking the memory while the game is running. I discovered that the whole game was just impossible to break. Want to go to the teleporter house early? well, the elevator don't work. Want to go out of bounds to reach inaccessible area? well, you are spawned when you loaded the map so no. In the end, I discovered more impossibility. To make this game detailed both outside and inside is just amazing. We tried like for MONTHS to get this fr***ing ultra hammer early by clipping out of the bar in rogueport (btw yes the chest is openable from the platform), no result. It is possible but only with hacking. Since this time, I understood what the potential TTYD has, the devs was determined to make a detailed and unique game even in the inside.

If you TL;DR, I have to prefer the TTYD one because I spent so many times on this game and I still love it and I don't think it would have been the case for sticker star.
TTYD was my favorite game on the Gamecube. Also, I like that design. I can't make up my mind which design I like better haha

Last edited:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
When you change partners the just pop up from Mario, so I thinks his moveset could be as simple as that, his partners pop up and after the move they stay there until he makes another move that switches them. And his neutral or down special can be something based on the partner thath's out making a unique moveset that changes constantly (I don't have any idea how it would work with customization).

It could be something like after the second jump (like when Peach floates) Parrakary get out and you can travel a little in the air, and if you dodge an attack it could be with the help of Bow or Vivian, his side smash can be the hammer or Vivian's fire, his up special can be the baby Yoshi or Lakilester, his side special his spin hammer attack from TTYD or Kooper/Koops, his down special Flurrie/Bobbery/Bombette/Ms. Mouse's love slap... there's a lot of possibilities for a unique moveset and I'm not saying just partners, also paper abilities, stickers, jumps, pixls, crystar stars and star spirits attacks, etc

Count as a Paper Mario supporter, he is one of my top 5 newcomers I want in Smash Bros.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
When you change partners the just pop up from Mario, so I thinks his moveset could be as simple as that, his partners pop up and after the move they stay there until he makes another move that switches them. And his neutral or down special can be something based on the partner thath's out making a unique moveset that changes constantly (I don't have any idea how it would work with customization).

It could be something like after the second jump (like when Peach floates) Parrakary get out and you can travel a little in the air, and if you dodge an attack it could be with the help of Bow or Vivian, his side smash can be the hammer or Vivian's fire, his up special can be the baby Yoshi or Lakilester, his side special his spin hammer attack from TTYD or Kooper/Koops, his down special Flurrie/Bobbery/Bombette/Ms. Mouse's love slap... there's a lot of possibilities for a unique moveset and I'm not saying just partners, also paper abilities, stickers, jumps, pixls, crystar stars and star spirits attacks, etc

Count as a Paper Mario supporter, he is one of my top 5 newcomers I want in Smash Bros.
We would if only there's a list in the op
Can I just pm Xenoblaze for the op? I don't even know if he's around there.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I found some recolors that I liked on Deviant-Art:

Red: Original
Green: PM:TTYD Luigi Emblem
Blue: PM:SS Ice Flower
Purple: PM:TTYD Wario & Luigi Emblem
Yellow: PM:TTYD Wario Emblem

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok guys, I have a great announcement: I contacted Xenoblaze to know if he was ok to change the op. Since he said he lost the interest to maintain this thread, he granted me the permission to become the new op. It's official now I solved this by contacting the admin. What this means is not only there will be a new op in the next days/weeks but now, since my support for this character is pretty strong, I think I will have more interest to maintain this thread.

Since I joined this site, I showed my support for this character because his series clearly need more representation not just a character but to have no music while TTYD has an amazing one goes beyond me. Now, it's time for me to maintain this thread and I think that I can do it. This thread needs to stop dying, like I said, it makes me sad :( .

As of today, I won't be available until this Saturday to do any modification in the thread but, I'll just change the title so that people know that this thread will have more info toward paper mario which should make people more interested to view it.

I found some recolors that I liked on Deviant-Art:

Red: Original
Green: PM:TTYD Luigi Emblem
Blue: PM:SS Ice Flower
Purple: PM:TTYD Wario & Luigi Emblem
Yellow: PM:TTYD Wario Emblem
You couldn't bring this at a better time this will be retained for the op they look good!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
At first, I nerver understood why people liked Paper Mario. But I just got Super Paper Mario this friday and I'm loving it so far. Now I want Paper Mario so badly.
Super is not even half as good as the first two Paper Mario, also.
It's still a lot better than Sticker Star though... Let's hope the WiiU title (if it happens) will be much better.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Aldelaro is the new owner of this thread? Yes , that's great! I just wanted to let you know, aldelaro, that I want to support you in your endeavor to keep this thread more active, because I support Paper Mario 100% and then some.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Super is not even half as good as the first two Paper Mario, also.
It's still a lot better than Sticker Star though... Let's hope the WiiU title (if it happens) will be much better.
I agree. I'm hoping to see a new Paper Mario with the original two's mechanics. Maybe just build off of it because those were wonderful games. Super wasn't bad or anything, I actually liked it, but in comparison with the other two. . . Yeah. . . No where near as good.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I agree. I'm hoping to see a new Paper Mario with the original two's mechanics. Maybe just build off of it because those were wonderful games. Super wasn't bad or anything, I actually liked it, but in comparison with the other two. . . Yeah. . . No where near as good.
Super bastardized the gameplay but it still had amazing story/characters/dialogues. Sticker Star simply killed everything and the sticker mechanic grew boring really fast...
Thousand-Year Door is damn near perfect. It's in my personal top 5 of the Gamecube games (along with Melee, F-Zero GX, Eternal Darkness and Prime imho). Why didn't they just simply expanded on that I don't know.

Top Bottom