• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
well paper jam bros is coming to europe one day after japan
Lucky as always. Now we just need a confirmation of the late American release date.

And I would like to become a new supporter. Most of the Paper Mario games were fun (Super Paper Mario being my favorite despite its flaws) and I found Sticker Star to be a decent game unlike how bad everyone makes it out to be.

But nontheless, Papes would be a fun character to play as with his Partners and Curse Abilities. Though he does have way more material to work with due to the scope of his games.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
well paper jam bros is coming to europe one day after japan
I need a source to this, you are the very first to tell this.

I am going to like you.:4diddy:
Anyway, i am happy to see new supporter for Paper Mario. :)
well like him, also some fun facts about spm (I am in the process of gltich hunting it)

It;s so crashable :) The way you would compare this is if you imagine that TTYD is a rock (so you can break it if you do enough force), spm is an egg, lol. Seriously, it takes a lot to crash TTYD and it did happened in some extreme test conditions, but spm really didn't took much. Once, I was messing with a value that change your size graphically, if I put it a little high, crash, TTYD would handle it :)

It's funny :)

Lucky as always. Now we just need a confirmation of the late American release date.

And I would like to become a new supporter. Most of the Paper Mario games were fun (Super Paper Mario being my favorite despite its flaws) and I found Sticker Star to be a decent game unlike how bad everyone makes it out to be.

But nontheless, Papes would be a fun character to play as with his Partners and Curse Abilities. Though he does have way more material to work with due to the scope of his games.
My main problem with spm is how messed it was as a game, also a lot of points was too obviously rushed.

spm, is REALLY underrated imo, even in gltich potential, lol :)

And for movesets potential, I suggest you read the second post of this thread, has a lot of moves :)

Since it hasn't been posted yet.
Paper Mario world confirmed Storybook.

Sonic & The Paper Mario when?
I basically talked about it a lot on the nintenzone thread. TL;DR: I am doubtful as an ml game, but REALLY love the paper mario part so far :)

I don;t post these in this thread due to activity, I enjoy speculating with more people :)

Btw, love the artworks :)

(based on the forum closure)
Giving the invite out to everyone if you choose to accept it. (even if I think you already have a group. . .)

MY group will be remaining open and will allow anyone to come if they wish to return to business as usual. Make your thread here if you would like. Trying to keep the community together.
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/all-character-support.1812/

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
ATTENTION!

As per the new of this thread and the other support thread closing, I made the previously private paper mario group now open to public:

http://smashboards.com/social-forums/rogueport-town-of-paper-mario.1763/

I highly recommend you use this group for general paper amrio discussion, feel free to support here too :)

(based on the forum closure)
Giving the invite out to everyone if you choose to accept it. (even if I think you already have a group. . .)

MY group will be remaining open and will allow anyone to come if they wish to return to business as usual. Make your thread here if you would like. Trying to keep the community together.
http://smashboards.com/social-forums/all-character-support.1812/
Can you please wait some days before i port the OP and thread to the group?

i am slightly busy lately, but I really want to port the OP and for the matter, the thread :)

Prodigy411

Smash Rookie
MY DETAILS ABOUT PAPER MARIO:

:GCB: Basic Special "Pixl Power" Paper Mario uses the Pixl he has out (for details about his Pixls, see Down Special).

:GCB::GCU: Up Special "Tornado Jump" An extra-high jump, as Paper Mario spins around, dealing damage on his way up.

:GCB::GCL::GCR: Side Special "Hammer" A chargeable hammer, similar to Kirby's Side Special.

:GCB::GCD: Down Special "Swap-Out" Swaps the Pixl he has out with the next in line (for use in Basic Special). See details below.

:GCDpad:THOREAU
Grabs the foe, and deals damage (I'm still working out how much...)

:GCDpad:BOOMER
Throws Boomer, who explodes after certain time, or when :GCB: is pressed again
:GCDpad:SLIM

(God, Slim is big...) Makes Paper Mario paper-thin, warps him, and his hammer is used. Similar to Interdimensional Cape (Meta Knight's Down).
:GCDpad:THUDLEY

(God! Shrink!) T-T-Thudley will make PM smash into the ground. Metoer Smash, as well as similar Kirby's Rock.
:GCDpad:CARRIE

(Okay, I swear to the spirit of Iwata, if Fleep is this big...) Makes Mario float without touching ground, good for dodging certain attacks.
:GCDpad:FLEEP

(Oh, for the love of Hilary Duff on a stick!) Makes anyone near Paper Mario dizzy.
:GCDpad:CUDGE

(S-H-R-I-N-K! Must I get a dictionary?) Same as Hammer, but with more damage, less knockback.
:GCDpad:DOTTIE

(Okay, I getting the dictionary.) Makes PM small in size, takes and gives more knockback.
:GCDpad:PICCOLO

(shrink: become or make smaller in size or amount; contract or cause to contract.) Makes anyone near Paper Mario fall asleep.

:GCStart:FINAL SMASH:
Like Ryu, Paper Mario has several Final Smashes, the bigger the range the more chaotic.
:GCDpad:Star Beam
If no one is next to him, rather above and below, Star Beam is similar to Aura Storm from Brawl, but instant.
:GCDpad:Showstopper
Works like Blue Falcon and NES Zapper Posse. The seven Crystal Stars appear, shows Paper Mario holding up the "Crystal" Crystal Star, as the Stars tear through the screen, after cutscene, knockback is dealt.
:GCDpad:Chaos Heart
Cutscene showing Paper Mario looking over the as-we-speak drawing of the Chaos Heart, after cutscene, deals high knockback screen wide.

:GCA::GCU: UP TAUNT
Holds up a Crystal Star.
:GCA::GCL::GCR: SIDE TAUNT
Shows a Star Spirit beside him.
:GCA::GCD: DOWN TAUNT
The Pure Heart appears in front of him.

:GCA:-SMASH TAUNT
On the theater, Paper Mario will have Tippi (%10 chance of Tiptron) appear, and say text about the fighter.

:GCL::GCL::GCR::GCR: Dash. When dashing, the Pixl named Dashell will follow him.
:GCRT: When Shielding, Barry is seen by PM's side.

Trailer Music: End Boss Medley - Super Paper Mario

Victory Music: Excerpt of Champion of Destruction.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151

:GCB: Basic Special "Pixl Power" Paper Mario uses the Pixl he has out (for details about his Pixls, see Down Special).

:GCB::GCU: Up Special "Tornado Jump" An extra-high jump, as Paper Mario spins around, dealing damage on his way up.

:GCB::GCL::GCR: Side Special "Hammer" A chargeable hammer, similar to Kirby's Side Special.

:GCB::GCD: Down Special "Swap-Out" Swaps the Pixl he has out with the next in line (for use in Basic Special). See details below.

(God, Slim is big...) Makes Paper Mario paper-thin, warps him, and his hammer is used. Similar to Interdimensional Cape (Meta Knight's Down).

(God! Shrink!) T-T-Thudley will make PM smash into the ground. Metoer Smash, as well as similar Kirby's Rock.

(Okay, I swear to the spirit of Iwata, if Fleep is this big...) Makes Mario float without touching ground, good for dodging certain attacks.

(Oh, for the love of Hilary Duff on a stick!) Makes anyone near Paper Mario dizzy.

(S-H-R-I-N-K! Must I get a dictionary?) Same as Hammer, but with more damage, less knockback.

(Okay, I getting the dictionary.) Makes PM small in size, takes and gives more knockback.

(shrink: become or make smaller in size or amount; contract or cause to contract.) Makes anyone near Paper Mario fall asleep.

Like Ryu, Paper Mario has several Final Smashes, the bigger the range the more chaotic.
If no one is next to him, rather above and below, Star Beam is similar to Aura Storm from Brawl, but instant.
Works like Blue Falcon and NES Zapper Posse. The seven Crystal Stars appear, shows Paper Mario holding up the "Crystal" Crystal Star, as the Stars tear through the screen, after cutscene, knockback is dealt.
Cutscene showing Paper Mario looking over the as-we-speak drawing of the Chaos Heart, after cutscene, deals high knockback screen wide.

Holds up a Crystal Star.

On the theater, Paper Mario will have Tippi (%10 chance of Tiptron) appear, and say text about the fighter.

:GCL::GCL::GCR::GCR: Dash. When dashing, the Pixl named Dashell will follow him.

You definitely seem to enjoy SPM the most out of the Paper Mario games. :p Pretty good ideas for some of the moves, some neat abilities I never thought about the pixls giving you, but there's a lot more to him than just his SPM appearance. I suggest you play PM64 and TTYD if you haven't already. Absolutely wonderful RPG's, and you can add some more variety to your moveset after playing them. Still, some good stuff there, and it's always good to have more supporters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Holds up a Crystal Star.

......you know that google image can not only give you the same imgae scaled down, but you coudl also eailly do that in an image editing program?

also, as much as I love spm.......there;s just too much. Seriously, having the entire specials based on Pixl is somethign I learned that it;s not really a good idea because the Pixl unlike the partners are more "utilities". What i mean by this is they do only one task and only one of them and JUST that. The partner basically are much more than that as not only they have multiple moves, but they are assisting in a much deeper way as the Pixl will allow to do one thing.

For example, thoreau is much better seen as the grab than a side special. Imagine paper mario actually grabbing, to me, thoreau woudl be the first reflex to ahve. You coudl put the SS stickers throw if you want, but thoreau tbh, it's kinda rare to see it in the special because it doesn't seem like he belongs there.

or others like Thudley, why not a down aerial?

also, cudge + hammer = why cudge is even there? The onyl difference is the cudge hammer looks different and is actually ONLY for hammering, the standard hammer can do much more than that and you won;t need to have cudge arround.

idk but there's also a bigger problem that I see on your set: what is your playstyle?

it feels like you basically tried to incorporate as much spm as you can, but the problem is that moves are a thing, the playstyle is MUCH more important.

It basically dictates why and how you choose your move. For me, I see Paper Mario as a versatile lightweight and complex fighter that is very quirky. This imples a lot because i would build the set around that playstyle so everything int he end as a sense.

I saw a lot of movesets like your that pretty much had a lot of stuff goign on on the special for weird reasons and the set felt more arbitrary then anything. i really suggest you read the movesets ont he second posts as nmost of them are really good and I coudl feel that there was a playstyle in them/

And as MegaMarioMan9 MegaMarioMan9 said, yes, I really love spm and I think it;s really underrated, but paper mario is jsut so much more. Just the first 2 games, imo most of his potential is there. Even SS as much as I dislike it has a lot to work with that fits nicely.

idk if you played the first 2 games and given how cheap pm64 is on VC, I really recommend it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Sorry for the double post, but this is very important that this thread get bumped for this.

PSA: This thread will close in around a week and as such, it was necessary to port the thread to the character support social group. As such, I reserved and ported msot of the first 2 posts of this thread to the following link:

http://smashboards.com/threads/thin...or-ssb4-new-thread-under-construction.421629/

I recommend everyone to change their alerts notifications if necessary because this will be the new main thread.

If you are worried about how the OP will be preserved, I made backups of the BBCode of the first 2 posts on my pc (and might put them on the cloud for safety).

With that in mind, thanks for you attention :)

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Whhaaaat? I came back only to hear that the character threads are closing soon. That sucks. I'm going to miss checking out the threads. :urg:
Well, I suppose the speculation won't really end. I'm going to be seeing you guys in the other thread anyway, so I suppose I'm just saying goodbye to this thread. There were some great times in this thread. :)

Top Bottom