• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
New Big Poll! It's Source Gaming's biggest Smash poll yet!

NEW POLLING EFFORT BY @@@BluePikmin11
The SG team has helped BluePikmin reorganize his individual character polls into 4 parts. We've also provided pre-filled out forms with neutral responses so people can navigate quickly. Hopefully this will yield more and better information for future posts.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
STIOP GRENINJAING ME IN MY THREAD!

:)

I was literally going to post about it.

So, this honestly was expected because even his tentative top 10 listed paper mario and on this poll......well granted he;s 11, but upon closer inspection, he ties with 3 characters making him "kinda" top ten.

So, what about them?

.......frankly I really don;t have much to say. kkr is popular as expected, inklings got a lot more.....as expected, bdee is there......as expected, snake wolf being still there......as expected and paper mario being literally the same position (more on that later).

But the fact that I have nothing to tell makes it VERY interesting.

I really feel this poll is much more accurate, I really think it;s at least came closer to what we should expect. What we are seeing is soem characters replacing others and the established popular one being.....even more.....yeah there;s just not much going on.

But here;s the thing, by being more accurate, this means that paper mario doing as expected......is even more solid.

I did expected a similar situation than his previous results, but to be int he exact same position is just wow. This REALLY means that he's so consistent, it's more like he;s top 10.....and stays there forever, even if you clean this one he come closer to top 5 (but imo, he is one of the 5 most likely so there;s that).

And this really shows something, the characters that usually does this consistency are characters that are known to be very requested. you know, kkr, wolf, isaac, bdee, inklings, etc..... These are so consitent, it;s kinda rare that you woulf see them goign from 1 to like 5, they are so consistent.

But paper mario I should say in my head like where I was starting to be OP there, to think paper mario was consistent like this was wishful thinking. It;s only when push released his JP polls and at least 3 western polls being released that I got that it was going on the whole time. To convince matter even further, it's still going on now.

Like it just doesn;t move much. To me I think this is where i should jsut stop to even wonder because it;s been clear that he;'s top 10material and if you go from a chance perspective, probably top 5.

and my point is this: I swear to Grambi, this should never happen if something was very detrimental to liking any character. Paper Mario is often mentioned as "another redundant mario" depening of clones or not clones, but still mario shape of the argument, this is how it goes grossly. The ballot votes will only have the "I want him!" votes and with the reasosn that goes with it, but then it's another story.

If he;s THAT consistent and people complain SO MUCH about not wanting him next to dr mario and mario, it's is unthinkable that these polls results are true, but the problem is I really think that with the amount of sources that we got, I don;t even question them, I had so much, he just doesn't move from top 10.

So, if I even assume that the argument was hindering him in terms of want and even support, I have to admit that it;s not enough to make a difference in terms of request. It just doesn't!

And pretty much it al comes down to this: he does have one major con that would be related to redundancy, but it's not related to himself, it's related to representation. If Sakurai think it would be overkilling mario, I don't feel that would be a no no matter what happens in the ballot. Because the reality of it is that if these polls somehow indicate a top 10 in ballot (which is up for debate, but I feel there;s a lot of truth in them), then he just have a huge advantage.

Like, his major cons begin to be not much major when you think about how requested he is. He just stays top 10 forever, that sounds really like a strong argument to say that if he was overkilling the mario franchise, it seems that a lot don;t think so. Which leads to the final point: in this case, it is really to a point when you wonder if Sakurai would come to such a conclusion. Cause this is the part that we will never know, but I believe that it has potential to happen.

So, on that, what do you guys think? do you think that Sakurai would value that the character and his request would overcome the big amount of mario representation? or do you think he'll pass and seek for other series representation?

I personally am leaning towards the former as time passes, but I jsut want to hear your thoughts on it :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Good news everyone!

I have finally finished my Paper Mario moveset video. Here's the :4link::
If you have the time and are interested, please watch the video. This took a while to think up and I hope to see it become a reality. (Sakurai plz :crying:).

Special thanks to aldelaro5 aldelaro5 for providing many of the clips.

EDIT: Well, after a lot of issues, I've finally been able to revise my moveset video. Please enjoy!

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Good news everyone!

If you have the time and are interested, please watch the video. This took a while to think up and I hope to see it become a reality. (Sakurai plz :crying:).

Ok, let me go through video issues first:
  • OVERKILL TRANSITIONS GOD! seriously, that;s the biggest issue, I imagine anyone watching it and getting bored pretty quickly, this should be a lot less than 10 minutes and I mostly blame the transitions. You just had to put text at the bottom of the clips as they go, the transitions are so annoying.......
  • A lot of gif just felt that not only they weren;t mine, but some could've been. The peeling gif in SS, was in my imgur, the thumbs up and hat tipping from SS was in my imgur too, the difference is I took real game shots and put them as a gif, but I did so much shots that it feels very fluid. I would ahve recommended to have checked my gif a bit before. also, I could ahve recorded everything you told except forward air.....btu I'll get to that one later.
  • The bobbery clip you asked shoudl have been the overworld one, not the battles one.
And let me get to moveset:

Jab is decent, normals are.....cool, except up tilt. Sorry, but I ddi saw really bad up tilt and this is one of the worst, really, you coudl have done so much better on the up tilt.

Smashes are classic which means don;t change them as they are good.

Aerials are good (THANK YOU for using stylish), but the forward one.....same as up tilt)

Specaisl, up is fine, side is honestly a bit weird considering that I do feel a slight underuse of the hammer (we;ll get to why later) and as for the partners, bow and sushie tbh I still have to egt the point considering you have to switch to them. Rest is quite good, but I honestly would'have liked you were more axed on diversity than representation (2 per games felt arbirtrary).

The throws......not going through it, they are really the worst I saw. Just to remind you, in the entire moveset, there wasn;t much jump attacks........and the hammer felt not present enough even thoguh you used it a lot, it feels more like a secondary stuff rather than a primary one. Seriously, the throws, the worst part of the set.

and no final smash is why?

If I had to rate it, I would say around 7-7.5/10 which is good, but could'have been so mcuh better. Btw, I would have give you 8/10 if you explained his playstyle because tbh, just that is helping me a lot to get why you did everything like you do and why this set is actually unique enough.

So yeah, overall, very good (at least above the average thign you woudl saw on internet), but I saw better and I really know you could've done better. And next time, please fix the transitions, now I am not even sure if people would watch that.....

At least I realised that OBS record so well my emulator, thoguh, my dazzle is like saying how bad quality it is because you zoomed in :)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've never posted here because, even though I'm a huge Paper Mario fan, I've never really considered him in Smash beyond the fleeting notion of "yeah he'd be cool".

In the final week of the ballot, I think it's time to share my support. Paper Mario is a great idea and I'd love to see it happen.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Good news everyone!

Nice job! I'll admit the transitions are a little bit rough, but other that that I enjoyed the video and moveset overall. Only move I'm really against is the up tilt, but other than that the general moveset is very good.

I've actually been thinking of re-making my moveset for a while, such as adding partner switching and more stylish, and your moveset definitely captured those well. Overall good job, quite enjoyable. :)

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Nice job! I'll admit the transitions are a little bit rough, but other that that I enjoyed the video and moveset overall. Only move I'm really against is the up tilt, but other than that the general moveset is very good.

I've actually been thinking of re-making my moveset for a while, such as adding partner switching and more stylish, and your moveset definitely captured those well. Overall good job, quite enjoyable. :)
Thank you! I am revising the video soon so I'll repost it when finished. I'm at work right now though so expect it later today.

I will also explain some of my choices as well. So look forward to that.

I cannot believe I forgot to put the Final Smash in. :facepalm:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ok, since we are 2 days before the ballot end, I shall do my probably last post here before the ballot ends to look back on his chances and my support effort here.

Because if you haven't realised yet, after the ballot ends, there won't be any influence much to do any character as dlc for ssb4 (it likely will just ends after some point). The ballot would be used for ssb5 but as far as ssb4 is concerned, after the ballot, it's jsut the end of it, there would probably be a small selection chosen in the game and that would be it.

Meaning that my goal here to share his support is kinda done. Actually, it was done since I'll say 1-2 months and here's why.

You would have probably noticed that this thread got A LOT stall some motnhs ago and you would also notice that I wasn't as active on it. The reason is because I realised that for SB and I would guess tumblr (I did made progress there btw) for me I got as far as I could. So, knowing this it would do nothing to keep bumping the thread, it was just already done at this point and it was just time for me to move on.

This actually doesn't mean I left support and OP, no, it just means that I did everything I could be able to to share the idea and I reached the limit of what i could do. In fact, at the beginning of the ballot, I was VERY active here and tumblr and I am sure it made some progress, but it's jsut normal to be dead now. I know for a fact that paper mario supporters are silent, which is why I always see him as underrated.

So, with that out of the way, should we still hope?

In all honestly, I would say yes. I realised that it really doesn't matter how silent the supporters are because for not much you coudl ahve done to share support even my effort weren't THAT much, it's impressive to still be standing in polls. Seriously, even in JP which @PushDustIn already told that they don't take the ballot as serious as in America, even there it was long standing. Even before the ballot.....even there it was the same as after it.

And what is even more impressive is how his series isn't in the best position and wasn't. I still think paper jam can lead to a fix, but when it was unheard of, you would except SS to make him less popular, but no, it just stayed there.

So his popularity blew my mind several times because of this which is why I can even tell it's realistic to think he coudl be in. It's even thinkable to think he could be in ssb5 if not in ssb4 because the ballot woudl be used for it.

As to how much......this is where I can't tell. If I remove consideration of the mii costumes, I would say it's simple, kkr, paper mario, maybe characters like inklings, bdee or if you still have fate, wolf (I don't tbh). Then I woudl say that these are good standing and should be likely to be in and such or at least likely enough to consider them.

But the costumes do exists and I can't help but think kkr got affected by it. So, If I actually have to say ONLY one character that I think is most likely, it woudl be paper mario, but the problem here is that with how much it chnaged, idk anymore. Would Sakurai think it would be overkill for the mario series? Would he change his mind based on the ballot? Was he even considered before? If I had the answer to some of these kind of questions, then I coudl tell, but none of us has them.

So,....what can I say? He is one of the msot likely, that.....coudl be sure, but it doesn't mean much. it even depends on the number of stuff we would get, apparently, if we base our view on only the data we got, there's only 2 characters remaning. I personally think vets are done, seriously, I don't really see why they would let the ballot decide their chances tbh.....it feels too weird.

So if it's only 2 newcomers, I would still think he is one of the msot likely EVEN if you assume SK is one of them (which I am not sure tbh).

so basically, the big TL;DR of his chance is "very good, but idk tbh".

Now, before I end this post, I jsut want to tell about something I got a bit worried......salts.

Sure, I excpet salts no matter what, but I am more worried of the salts that would happen if Paper Mario isn't in than him being in at all. Like, guys, I need to remind you that from ssbb to ssb4, we got from a not full trophies repping with some stickers......meh to a stage repping 3 games out of 4, a music repping the msot aclaimed game and the lattest one and finally, a full series repping trophies. .......this is HUGE when you think about this series being a branch of mario. Like this to me proves that the Paper Mario series is not meant to be obscure.

I am telling this because even if he wasn't in, I have NO reaosns to complain. tbh, I wouldn't see any reasons because man, getting a stage, JUST THAT, JUST THIS FACT ALONE is so huge that you mgiht as well just praise Sakurai to even have done that. I saw in my support stuff a lot of comments about stuff like blamming dr mario (the worst kind of comments imo) and basically indication of people being salty if he wasn;t in.

No one expected a stage, i freaking wanted jsut a music.

Sakurai did a lot more to fix the repping issues than what coudl have worked, he doesn't NEED to be playable. If you still would feel angry, just think about the supports thread here and just try to see how much supporters of these thread would be happy to not get their character, but get a stage mostly related to it. A lot would be ready to give a lot of support to just get SOMETHING and a stage is one of the best things to get before a playable character.

So, basically, I would suggest you to do this: if you want him, don't care if ssb4 or ssb5, or others chances, no, if you TRULY want him and legit like his series and stuff or at least feels he should be in in your heart, go vote for him, but be aware that if he's not in, there's not much reaosns to complain.

With that out of the way, I suggest you to vote and let's jsut hope he gets in :)

aldelaro5

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
Good news everyone!

EDIT: Well, after a lot of issues, I've finally been able to revise my moveset video. Please enjoy!
I don't think I'm able to see it

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I don't think I'm able to see it
I fixed the link. Sorry about that.
News flash: paper jam confirmed to be released IN JAPAN (not here) on December 3th

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-luigi-paper-jam-launches-on-december-3-in-japan/

This worries me a bit. Usually, paper mario and m&l are hyped series, DT got a lot of attention and SS got 2 E3 and an Iwata ask......why is this came out of nowhere?
Not sure, we'll probably see it in the next Nintendo Direct but I'm unsure why all the sudden. Communication has been pretty bad recently, but I'm sure this ties in with the unfortunate death of Iwata.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
So, Amiibo support is confirmed in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam. These will unlock battle cards, but what will they do? Maybe we'll get an explanation in the next Nintendo Direct?

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Good news everyone!

I have finally finished my Paper Mario moveset video. Here's the :4link:
Ahhh, his yawn needs to be a taunt if he gets in. That'd be the best toll-like taunt ever, xD. Other than that, I love the moveset! I'd love to link it in my video's description, if you don't mind. ^^
Ok, since we are 2 days before the ballot end, I shall do my probably last post here before the ballot ends to look back on his chances and my support effort here.

Because if you haven't realised yet, after the ballot ends, there won't be any influence much to do any character as dlc for ssb4 (it likely will just ends after some point). The ballot would be used for ssb5 but as far as ssb4 is concerned, after the ballot, it's jsut the end of it, there would probably be a small selection chosen in the game and that would be it.

Meaning that my goal here to share his support is kinda done. Actually, it was done since I'll say 1-2 months and here's why.

You would have probably noticed that this thread got A LOT stall some motnhs ago and you would also notice that I wasn't as active on it. The reason is because I realised that for SB and I would guess tumblr (I did made progress there btw) for me I got as far as I could. So, knowing this it would do nothing to keep bumping the thread, it was just already done at this point and it was just time for me to move on.

This actually doesn't mean I left support and OP, no, it just means that I did everything I could be able to to share the idea and I reached the limit of what i could do. In fact, at the beginning of the ballot, I was VERY active here and tumblr and I am sure it made some progress, but it's jsut normal to be dead now. I know for a fact that paper mario supporters are silent, which is why I always see him as underrated.

So, with that out of the way, should we still hope?

In all honestly, I would say yes. I realised that it really doesn't matter how silent the supporters are because for not much you coudl ahve done to share support even my effort weren't THAT much, it's impressive to still be standing in polls. Seriously, even in JP which @PushDustIn already told that they don't take the ballot as serious as in America, even there it was long standing. Even before the ballot.....even there it was the same as after it.

And what is even more impressive is how his series isn't in the best position and wasn't. I still think paper jam can lead to a fix, but when it was unheard of, you would except SS to make him less popular, but no, it just stayed there.

So his popularity blew my mind several times because of this which is why I can even tell it's realistic to think he coudl be in. It's even thinkable to think he could be in ssb5 if not in ssb4 because the ballot woudl be used for it.

As to how much......this is where I can't tell. If I remove consideration of the mii costumes, I would say it's simple, kkr, paper mario, maybe characters like inklings, bdee or if you still have fate, wolf (I don't tbh). Then I woudl say that these are good standing and should be likely to be in and such or at least likely enough to consider them.

But the costumes do exists and I can't help but think kkr got affected by it. So, If I actually have to say ONLY one character that I think is most likely, it woudl be paper mario, but the problem here is that with how much it chnaged, idk anymore. Would Sakurai think it would be overkill for the mario series? Would he change his mind based on the ballot? Was he even considered before? If I had the answer to some of these kind of questions, then I coudl tell, but none of us has them.

So,....what can I say? He is one of the msot likely, that.....coudl be sure, but it doesn't mean much. it even depends on the number of stuff we would get, apparently, if we base our view on only the data we got, there's only 2 characters remaning. I personally think vets are done, seriously, I don't really see why they would let the ballot decide their chances tbh.....it feels too weird.

So if it's only 2 newcomers, I would still think he is one of the msot likely EVEN if you assume SK is one of them (which I am not sure tbh).

so basically, the big TL;DR of his chance is "very good, but idk tbh".

Now, before I end this post, I jsut want to tell about something I got a bit worried......salts.

Sure, I excpet salts no matter what, but I am more worried of the salts that would happen if Paper Mario isn't in than him being in at all. Like, guys, I need to remind you that from ssbb to ssb4, we got from a not full trophies repping with some stickers......meh to a stage repping 3 games out of 4, a music repping the msot aclaimed game and the lattest one and finally, a full series repping trophies. .......this is HUGE when you think about this series being a branch of mario. Like this to me proves that the Paper Mario series is not meant to be obscure.

I am telling this because even if he wasn't in, I have NO reaosns to complain. tbh, I wouldn't see any reasons because man, getting a stage, JUST THAT, JUST THIS FACT ALONE is so huge that you mgiht as well just praise Sakurai to even have done that. I saw in my support stuff a lot of comments about stuff like blamming dr mario (the worst kind of comments imo) and basically indication of people being salty if he wasn;t in.

No one expected a stage, i freaking wanted jsut a music.

Sakurai did a lot more to fix the repping issues than what coudl have worked, he doesn't NEED to be playable. If you still would feel angry, just think about the supports thread here and just try to see how much supporters of these thread would be happy to not get their character, but get a stage mostly related to it. A lot would be ready to give a lot of support to just get SOMETHING and a stage is one of the best things to get before a playable character.

So, basically, I would suggest you to do this: if you want him, don't care if ssb4 or ssb5, or others chances, no, if you TRULY want him and legit like his series and stuff or at least feels he should be in in your heart, go vote for him, but be aware that if he's not in, there's not much reaosns to complain.

With that out of the way, I suggest you to vote and let's jsut hope he gets in :)

aldelaro5
Gee whiz. I haven't been here in a while (again). :crying:
The end of the Smash ballot grows near and near, but I'm still pretty hopeful! It would mean a lot to have him in Smash. The downside of this ballot is that a bunch of fanbases will end up disappointed, unfortunately, but hopefully we won't be one of 'em. :)
On another note, there are apparently empty character and stage slots. https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3n6v3h/smash_3ds_has_been_data_mined/
Should we be a little more hopeful now? :D

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Ahhh, his yawn needs to be a taunt if he gets in. That'd be the best toll-like taunt ever, xD. Other than that, I love the moveset! I'd love to link it in my video's description, if you don't mind. ^^

Gee whiz. I haven't been here in a while (again). :crying:
The end of the Smash ballot grows near and near, but I'm still pretty hopeful! It would mean a lot to have him in Smash. The downside of this ballot is that a bunch of fanbases will end up disappointed, unfortunately, but hopefully we won't be one of 'em. :)
On another note, there are apparently empty character and stage slots. https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3n6v3h/smash_3ds_has_been_data_mined/
Should we be a little more hopeful now? :D
it;s even better than what you think.

Huge thanks for @PushDustIn to have done that because he really overdid himself:

remember the 5 degrees polls made by Push?

here's preliminairy results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...do/pubchart?oid=1124042831&format=interactive

And for pure average:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...do/pubchart?oid=1083318544&format=interactive

As per push's request, I took these from this article:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/02/final-vote-reminder/

Let me tell you what is going on.

You see captain toad after Paper Mario?

Yeah, i know it's unusual, so is tetra and impa and others because the polling strategy was different too. Notice on the first link how the 1 and 2 of both of them are close?

Check the 4 and 5 now.....

Paper Mario has similar hatebase but his fanbase is hgiher by around 80-90 botes which is around 2% and considering the average which has increased of 0.1 relative to captin toad on a scale of 5 (2%), this is shocking because if you check the top 10, they are close to eachother and 2% is big in this case.

But why? Captain toad doesn;t have to deal with the another mario argument, the only issue he has is the same as Paper Mario: another mario rep. They deal with the same issue and they arrioved with the same hatebase while you would think Paper Mario would be more hated.

What is even more mind blowing is the amount of fanbase, captain toad again didn;t had to deal with that issues but ont he same hatebase as paper mario? you would expect him to have a bit more, but no!

What does this tells us?

That considering the only con that they are mario rep, people woudl want more paper mario than captain toad and they are actually as hated as the other.

....mind = blown :o

Seriously, it;s even consistent, paper mario is 7th in everywhere and captain toad was 8th, but paper mario had much more polarised resulst and much mroe 5 while captain toad had more 3 instead.

This impresses me. The data release tomorrow would give us a better reason as to why it happened, but my theory is that they had the same issue and paper mario another mario actually didn't matter......at all. and paper Mario is just mroe wanted than captian toad.

Add the fact that we got a thir dslots with 3 stages......

Yeah, even if SK rumor is true, I still don;t expect wolf leaving 1 or 2 slots left and if you look at the top 10 on that poll......he's probably the msot liekly out of them.

So, the plot thickens because he might be even more wanted than I ever thought :)

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
It's all come down to this. It's been a truly incredible experience being part of this supporting community, and I just hope we'll get our chance at playing as our favorite paper hero. I chose to put in one more vote for Paper Mario, but I decided to mix it up a bit. I managed to stay in character as Grubba, bragging about how the Great Gonzales can best anybody. I still included all the best points of Paper Mario; his abilities, partners, etc., I just added a bit of extra flavor. :p I still have some high hopes for us, and I truly believe that we stand a good chance to make it. Let's put our speculation to rest and hope we've done enough to show Sakurai the incredible potential of this incredible character. :)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Well the end of the ballot is almost here. Well even tough that we still don't known who will win. I will say that it was a fun ride and that, even if Paper Mario doesn't get in. I think he would have still chance in Smash 5. (But of course we want him in Smash 4, because we don't known if there ever will be Smash 5.) Anyway, i hope the best for our paper plumber. Because we believe in him!

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
it;s even better than what you think.

Huge thanks for @PushDustIn to have done that because he really overdid himself:

remember the 5 degrees polls made by Push?

here's preliminairy results:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...do/pubchart?oid=1124042831&format=interactive

And for pure average:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...do/pubchart?oid=1083318544&format=interactive

As per push's request, I took these from this article:

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/02/final-vote-reminder/

Let me tell you what is going on.

You see captain toad after Paper Mario?

Yeah, i know it's unusual, so is tetra and impa and others because the polling strategy was different too. Notice on the first link how the 1 and 2 of both of them are close?

Check the 4 and 5 now.....

Paper Mario has similar hatebase but his fanbase is hgiher by around 80-90 botes which is around 2% and considering the average which has increased of 0.1 relative to captin toad on a scale of 5 (2%), this is shocking because if you check the top 10, they are close to eachother and 2% is big in this case.

But why? Captain toad doesn;t have to deal with the another mario argument, the only issue he has is the same as Paper Mario: another mario rep. They deal with the same issue and they arrioved with the same hatebase while you would think Paper Mario would be more hated.

What is even more mind blowing is the amount of fanbase, captain toad again didn;t had to deal with that issues but ont he same hatebase as paper mario? you would expect him to have a bit more, but no!

What does this tells us?

That considering the only con that they are mario rep, people woudl want more paper mario than captain toad and they are actually as hated as the other.

....mind = blown :o

Seriously, it;s even consistent, paper mario is 7th in everywhere and captain toad was 8th, but paper mario had much more polarised resulst and much mroe 5 while captain toad had more 3 instead.

This impresses me. The data release tomorrow would give us a better reason as to why it happened, but my theory is that they had the same issue and paper mario another mario actually didn't matter......at all. and paper Mario is just mroe wanted than captian toad.

Add the fact that we got a thir dslots with 3 stages......

Yeah, even if SK rumor is true, I still don;t expect wolf leaving 1 or 2 slots left and if you look at the top 10 on that poll......he's probably the msot liekly out of them.

So, the plot thickens because he might be even more wanted than I ever thought :)
Yeah, the results surprised me! I thought a lot more people would be opposed to the character. It gives me a super positive feeling! Knowing Paper Jam is also releasing this year in Japan, I'm actually becoming a bit more confident in him becoming playable -- I can allllmost taste it. :p
It's all come down to this. It's been a truly incredible experience being part of this supporting community, and I just hope we'll get our chance at playing as our favorite paper hero. I chose to put in one more vote for Paper Mario, but I decided to mix it up a bit. I managed to stay in character as Grubba, bragging about how the Great Gonzales can best anybody. I still included all the best points of Paper Mario; his abilities, partners, etc., I just added a bit of extra flavor. :p I still have some high hopes for us, and I truly believe that we stand a good chance to make it. Let's put our speculation to rest and hope we've done enough to show Sakurai the incredible potential of this incredible character. :)
Yeah, the whole period was pretty neat. I can't even remember when I became a supporter!
Everyone's probably going to start speculating when Sakurai's even going to say anything about the ballot. The speculation never ends! I thought I was tired of speculation after the game released. Now I'm sitting here, wondering when we'll get another character announcement.
I just really want Paper Mario. Sakurai, if he's in, announce him first so I can live to see the day! :bee:

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Yeah, the results surprised me! I thought a lot more people would be opposed to the character. It gives me a super positive feeling! Knowing Paper Jam is also releasing this year in Japan, I'm actually becoming a bit more confident in him becoming playable -- I can allllmost taste it. :p
.....please don't go too far, I know I surely did when the stage was announced so please don;t go there :(

like I would agree he is one of the msot likely but no one should be confident in him being playable. Seriously, please don;t because you won;t like it if he isn't.

Plus, technically, this effect was seen before, but what is new is it wasn't seen in a way to be very obvious. What is more mind blowing is topping captain toad which SHOULD have less hate. If the another mario argument mattered, it actually makes paper mario way less hated because it is included with his hatebase that is similar to captian toad.
Yeah, the whole period was pretty neat. I can't even remember when I became a supporter!
Everyone's probably going to start speculating when Sakurai's even going to say anything about the ballot. The speculation never ends! I thought I was tired of speculation after the game released. Now I'm sitting here, wondering when we'll get another character announcement.
I just really want Paper Mario. Sakurai, if he's in, announce him first so I can live to see the day! :bee:
no, this thread was already dead since 2 months at least, it would be deader than dead after the ballot ends.

Like, there's jsut not much to say. Paper Mario supporters beign usually silent and now with absolutely no support that will affect anything after, the last you do is just wait.

Speculation would be very limited because of that actually, what there is to say? Nothing, you jsut wait and THEN it'll eventually have soemthing.

This isn't potd, we aren;t getting a direct THAT soon.

As for seeing the day it'll happen, well let me tell you why I think everything related to SB and I will basically explode. Just to give you an idea, I got 300 alerts after the stage was confirmed. For a STAGE, I got the amount of alerts I could normally get in 1-2 months in some hours, that's insane.

if he is announced as playable, well, first I wouldn't be able to predicts my alerts because the site would crash anyway and for this thread........well, a bunch of people posting the TTYD tittle screen music because it;s so joyfull :)

For me.......probably yelling alone in my apartment stuff like "OMG" or "is this really happening?". And then proceed to be unable to have ANY logical posts for about 2-3 days before finalyl rationally talk about everything in an essay.

For the records, it took a day for the stage to do that and I did yelled "OMG" at my laptop in bed with my laptop on my leg with the blanket protecting me from its heat late at like 2am on July 29.

So.....yeah, I don;t even know how it would go if it happens, the one thign is sure is my alert boxes would explode :)

LousyTactician

There's a red door and I want it painted pink
Now that the voting has ended I wanted to wish this thread good luck. Paper Mario got my vote, and I'm hoping to see him in.

Derposaur

Smash Rookie
NNID
RobotHmsta
Sign me up for the supporters list. Mario is one of my favorite franchises and I think Paper Mario would be a very unique and interesting fighter.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Paper Mario appeared as a playable character and focused on his gameplay from the series: Paper Abilities, Partners, Hammer, and Badges/Items. How would you rank them in importance? Here's an example:

Partners > Hammer > Paper Abilities > Badges

My example just happens to be how I rank each. It's subjective of course, but I don't think it's ever been discussed and we currently do not have a strong topic.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
If Paper Mario appeared as a playable character and focused on his gameplay from the series: Paper Abilities, Partners, Hammer, and Badges/Items. How would you rank them in importance? Here's an example:

My example just happens to be how I rank each. It's subjective of course, but I don't think it's ever been discussed and we currently do not have a strong topic.
Good discussion topic! ;)
I would say the same thing, except swap partners and hammer around. While partners definitely give Paper Mario more unique character, I think the hammer really defines him as a character. It gives him distinct style apart from the regular Mario, although I guess you can say the same thing about the partners. :p They're really close to equal in my opinion, as I don't think a moveset would be any good without either of them. The paper abilities can theoretically be skipped over through the use of partners like Parakarry for a recovery and Bow as a spotdodge, but without the abilities he would feel pretty odd. Badges can definitely be skipped over, as most movesets don't include any, but you can still do neat stuff with them. The badges are skippable, but he would definitely feel complete with a combination of the other three.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Good discussion topic! ;)
I would say the same thing, except swap partners and hammer around. While partners definitely give Paper Mario more unique character, I think the hammer really defines him as a character. It gives him distinct style apart from the regular Mario, although I guess you can say the same thing about the partners. :p They're really close to equal in my opinion, as I don't think a moveset would be any good without either of them. The paper abilities can theoretically be skipped over through the use of partners like Parakarry for a recovery and Bow as a spotdodge, but without the abilities he would feel pretty odd. Badges can definitely be skipped over, as most movesets don't include any, but you can still do neat stuff with them. The badges are skippable, but he would definitely feel complete with a combination of the other three.
Agreed! Those three are what would "define" Paper Mario IMO. I also agree with what you said about the hammer, he wouldn't really function without it.

The partners would probably be my favorite part of his moveset and I think I would be disappointed if he didn't have them as well.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
.....please don't go too far, I know I surely did when the stage was announced so please don;t go there :(

like I would agree he is one of the msot likely but no one should be confident in him being playable. Seriously, please don;t because you won;t like it if he isn't.

Plus, technically, this effect was seen before, but what is new is it wasn't seen in a way to be very obvious. What is more mind blowing is topping captain toad which SHOULD have less hate. If the another mario argument mattered, it actually makes paper mario way less hated because it is included with his hatebase that is similar to captian toad.

no, this thread was already dead since 2 months at least, it would be deader than dead after the ballot ends.

Like, there's jsut not much to say. Paper Mario supporters beign usually silent and now with absolutely no support that will affect anything after, the last you do is just wait.

Speculation would be very limited because of that actually, what there is to say? Nothing, you jsut wait and THEN it'll eventually have soemthing.

This isn't potd, we aren;t getting a direct THAT soon.

As for seeing the day it'll happen, well let me tell you why I think everything related to SB and I will basically explode. Just to give you an idea, I got 300 alerts after the stage was confirmed. For a STAGE, I got the amount of alerts I could normally get in 1-2 months in some hours, that's insane.

if he is announced as playable, well, first I wouldn't be able to predicts my alerts because the site would crash anyway and for this thread........well, a bunch of people posting the TTYD tittle screen music because it;s so joyfull :)

For me.......probably yelling alone in my apartment stuff like "OMG" or "is this really happening?". And then proceed to be unable to have ANY logical posts for about 2-3 days before finalyl rationally talk about everything in an essay.

For the records, it took a day for the stage to do that and I did yelled "OMG" at my laptop in bed with my laptop on my leg with the blanket protecting me from its heat late at like 2am on July 29.

So.....yeah, I don;t even know how it would go if it happens, the one thign is sure is my alert boxes would explode :)
Haha, thanks. I kinda tend to have my expectations raised every now and then, it seems. :dizzy: But on another note, it seems everyone's been pointing to a Nintendo Direct on the 14th, and it's apparently going to be a first party character. I've been hearing that it came from a pretty reliable source. I wonder what we should make of that? Either way, all we need to do is wait a little longer to see who's up first (and hear some details on DLC character stuff, hopefully). I actually have $10 prepared, for once. :chuckle:

After some thought, I actually agree with that order of importance.
Badges can definitely be used for a few moves, but I really only see them using one for a dash attack or somethin'.
Paper Abilities can be applied to things like rolls, spot-dodges, swimming animations, and whatnot. They could even use the airplane for an up-B if they wanted to.
I usually see them using the hammer just for something like forward-smash or a misc. aerial/tilt attack.
I see partners being the definitive part of his moveset. They can be used in all sorts of attacks/animations, like a spot-dodge, shield, grab, special attack, and more.
In the end, I see his moves coming from actions you do often, like Stylish Moves, sticker-pulling, jumping, guarding, Special Moves, 3D-flipping, and etc. Of course, the other four still play their roles in importance. I just see misc. attacks being at the top, or at least somewhere between Partners and Hammer.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Haha, thanks. I kinda tend to have my expectations raised every now and then, it seems. :dizzy: But on another note, it seems everyone's been pointing to a Nintendo Direct on the 14th, and it's apparently going to be a first party character. I've been hearing that it came from a pretty reliable source. I wonder what we should make of that? Either way, all we need to do is wait a little longer to see who's up first (and hear some details on DLC character stuff, hopefully). I actually have $10 prepared, for once. :chuckle:

After some thought, I actually agree with that order of importance.
Badges can definitely be used for a few moves, but I really only see them using one for a dash attack or somethin'.
Paper Abilities can be applied to things like rolls, spot-dodges, swimming animations, and whatnot. They could even use the airplane for an up-B if they wanted to.
I usually see them using the hammer just for something like forward-smash or a misc. aerial/tilt attack.
I see partners being the definitive part of his moveset. They can be used in all sorts of attacks/animations, like a spot-dodge, shield, grab, special attack, and more.
In the end, I see his moves coming from actions you do often, like Stylish Moves, sticker-pulling, jumping, guarding, Special Moves, 3D-flipping, and etc. Of course, the other four still play their roles in importance. I just see misc. attacks being at the top, or at least somewhere between Partners and Hammer.
......huh.....I don;t like to do this in this thread because it's annoying but you really misunderstood what is going on.

The nintenzone thread is talking about a rumor where a week ago, roger said on twitter that there will be smash news. in 2 weeks. He COULD have known that because he is an ex employee that has a friend that is still at nintendo.

.....don;t ask me how but this suddenly turned into people claiming there woudl be a character revealed......

Like idk what is going on but basically, everyone is like OH SOMEONE IS IN!!!!......without telling ANYTHING......

....it;s just stuff in the air. really see not much to believe here.

Anyway, I already talked about it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...he-news-drought.416098/page-680#post-20283811

But that amazon jp listing has new paper jam screenshots:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-マリオ&ルイージRPG-ペーパーマリオMIX/dp/B0160YPHZM

Feel free to freak out on them :)

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I must say, i am still finding new fanart of SPM and even remix! Like this one.
"snif" It's so.....Beautiful....
And i have find also this video, really. Even tough i am not a fan of the music. I love the draw.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
And i have find also this video, really. Even tough i am not a fan of the music. I love the draw.
I can;t really criticise fanart because......I am not that good at it unless you try to be authentic, there I have a point of reference, but the music above to me, is really good.....it;s just not memory.

It's bounding through time. See, there;s a big difference between memory, promise and bounding through time. Memory (all four of them) are trying to convey an emotion that is locked, inaccessible. So much that the memory 4 sounds like a tragedy happened with that emotion being locked inside timpani.

Promise is the unlocking of that emotion, you feel it is getting stronger, but you never feel it's his full potential, it;s like if is you opened the door and the person was hesitant to go through.

Bounding through time however, it;s everything. The love emotion is fully there and it's just doing party.

This music felt more like that because of the very happy notes on the second half, the first half is the same as bounding through time because both memory and bounding through time starts with the memory rhythm, in fact, all the music i named have the same melody because it;s actually the main theme. Go listen to the intro theme, they are the exact same which in my mind is very impressive. Still doesn't beat we believe in you mario, but man, doing all these variations and having a deep meaning......wow.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Wow, I forgot that story was pretty deep. The art was pretty good!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
We are interupting this thread being stall (lol) to give you FREAKING HYPE STUFF!!!

accoridng to this, SPM WOULD BE ON FREAKING VC!!!!!

Metal Shop X Metal Shop X ok I know I tag you a lot, but please read that one :)

Will change the tittle,

seriously, would be VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRY hype if true :)

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
......huh.....I don;t like to do this in this thread because it's annoying but you really misunderstood what is going on.

The nintenzone thread is talking about a rumor where a week ago, roger said on twitter that there will be smash news. in 2 weeks. He COULD have known that because he is an ex employee that has a friend that is still at nintendo.

.....don;t ask me how but this suddenly turned into people claiming there woudl be a character revealed......

Like idk what is going on but basically, everyone is like OH SOMEONE IS IN!!!!......without telling ANYTHING......

....it;s just stuff in the air. really see not much to believe here.

Anyway, I already talked about it here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/nint...he-news-drought.416098/page-680#post-20283811

But that amazon jp listing has new paper jam screenshots:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/任天堂-マリオ&ルイージRPG-ペーパーマリオMIX/dp/B0160YPHZM

Feel free to freak out on them :)
Oh. Well, it would be nice to have a Nintendo Direct sometime soon. I'd also like to hear something new about Paper Jam, too.
Wow, that remake sounds really nice. I should really learn that on piano.
We are interupting this thread being stall (lol) to give you FREAKING HYPE STUFF!!!

Metal Shop X Metal Shop X ok I know I tag you a lot, but please read that one :)

Will change the tittle,

Gasp! That's mega-awesome! Twilight Princess HD, Mario Strikers, and Wario Land too? I'd totally buy 'em in a heartbeat (and re-buy SPM for a new play-through, just perhaps). Now, you know where all of these should be announced?
At a Nintendo Direct! Seriously. October's a great time to do this. I feel like they've been a little too quiet.
Oh, and I find it kinda funny that we got SPM news not too long after having a remix posted. :p

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Will change the tittle,

Well even tough i have already tne game. I am like really happy about this. :) The SPM hype is really!

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Could you add me to the supporters? I've supported Paper Mario for a while but haven't really been on this site much.

Also, yay SPM on VC! It's my favorite Paper Mario game, so I'll probably get it despite already having a physical copy.

Top Bottom