• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Thinner character, bigger appeal!" Paper Mario for SSB4; Thread migration soon!

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
TTYD is everyone's favorite? That somehow surprises me the 64 original is mine. Well now I feel nonconformist and cool so whatever lol.

I am a diehard Paper Mario fan just like everyone here, haven't played Sticker Star yet due to not owning a 3DS but otherwise I've played and beat all of the Paper Marios. I honestly don't want him in the game but he would be a good addition for representation of the rpgs. It's mostly his moveset that irks me, as much as he has to pull from I don't think I would ever use him. The hammerspace characters are getting too over-the-top especially with Villager. That's just my opinion.
I enjoyed the first one too, I actually have to think which one I thought was my favorite because they were both great. Me and my friend always try and compare to see which one had the better chapters and it's quite difficult. And regarding Paper Mario's potential moveset (I respect your opinion), I think that's the main reason I want him. The fact that he has so much potential and comes from another side of Mario that has yet to be properly represented. I'm not saying that including Paper Mario would be the answer, but I personally would appreciate it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
TTYD is everyone's favorite? That somehow surprises me the 64 original is mine. Well now I feel nonconformist and cool so whatever lol.

I am a diehard Paper Mario fan just like everyone here, haven't played Sticker Star yet due to not owning a 3DS but otherwise I've played and beat all of the Paper Marios. I honestly don't want him in the game but he would be a good addition for representation of the rpgs. It's mostly his moveset that irks me, as much as he has to pull from I don't think I would ever use him. The hammerspace characters are getting too over-the-top especially with Villager. That's just my opinion.
Hello!

No you're not alone to believe that the first game is your favourite. It just happens that TTYD is very liked here but I saw some people saying to like more the first game than TTYD. Which is totally fine I guess since the second game is an expansion from the first one and both are great.

You seem to be ok with he series getting more rep while you're somehow doubtful on the character inclusion. Well, as said in the op, the playable character would be the best case but the stage and music is also a very good way to rep this series. The stage in the op from TTYD (I just choose it because it just has more potential) would just be an hazard fest and would look great. For music, same alot of diverse ost (TTYD ost FTW!). I just don't ant to end like brawl with only stickers and trophy really that's not fair.

For his moveset, the reason that he would be good is actually the fact that there's so many ways to make him good. I saw a lot of diverse moveset here some that are good while not using his partner, some that centralize on his paper ability or some centralize on his hammer. I personally don't think he's like villager because villager's moveset is versatile due to his items while paper mario... well... has more than that to make him versatile. He doesn't have to use his hammer but just rolling into a tube sounds good to me. (after all, it's just a matter of how you see it)

But really I want more rep for this series he deserves it.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
My personal favorite is TTYD following the first. I am indifferent towards SPM though I enjoyed it and I haven't touched SS aside from the trailer. I heard it's dookie.

Anyway. I'm gonna conjure up a moveset.

I may or may not pull moves from the Super Star Sega series and every game after it.

MOVESET

PAPER MARIO(I shall refer to him as PMario to save myself some time.)

JAB,RAPID JAB, FINISHER:
-PMario's signature hammer attack followed by rapid spins(Super Hammer tech) and a strong finisher with PMario facing the screen giving us a thumbs up.

FORWARD TILT:
-PMario performs a simple Hammer swing. It pops opponents at an upward angle setting up for Combo's.

DOWN TILT:
-PMario performs his Super Guard from the TTYD series. It has multi hit properties and a strong ending hit.

UP TILT:
-PMario performs Koops stylish move after the Shell Slam(spinning hand stand). Holding A will have PMario spin indefinitely. Pops opponents up for a next attack.

DASH ATTACK:
-Super Hammer spin. PMario performs the hammer spin while moving forward a moderate distance. Safe on shield as it passes your opponent.

FORWARD SMASH:
-Bow's Fan Fury. Bow brings out her fan and destroys anyone in front of her.

DOWN SMASH:
-Koopa Slide. Kooper or Koops will slide around Mario in a full circle. Strong knock back.

UP SMASH:
-Goomba Bash. Goombario or Gombella will jump from the ground Superman style while spinning. Similar to Olimar's Up Smash.

NEUTRAL AIR:
-Barry(Pixl). PMario spins rapidly with a circular spiked barrier. Single hit move. Invicibility on start up.

FORWARD AIR:
-Watt Shock. PMario holds onto Watt for a long time(Link's Dair) at a downward angle. Opponents caught in the attack are paralyzed for a moment. Pressing A while Watt is out will cause her to discharge hitting a little farther but weaker.

BACK AIR:
-PMario slams his hammer behind him(Ike Back Air). Kill move.

DOWN AIR:
-Ground Pound. Mario flips in the air and propels downward at lightning speed. Connecting hits will pop him back up ready for an attack.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL:
-Flare Hammer. Mario ***** back his hammer while a flame drops above him. Timing the shot will have PMario hit the flame lobbing it in front of him. Because of the difficulty and time it takes to perform and have the move connect, this is definitely a strong kill move. This move is a reference from TTYD.

FORWARD SPECIAL:
-Thoreau(Pixl). Mid Ranged command grab. If Thoreau connects with an opponent he will bring him/her to PMario's hands and Mario will be able to carry opponents DK style. Mario's movement will be restricted and will be limited to one jump. This move cannot be used as a tether.

DOWN SPECIAL:
-Bombs Away! PMario will lay down either Bombette or Bobbery. For 1 minute they will walk slowly where they were set before exploding. Pressing Down B again will have them explode immediately.

UP SPECIAL:
-Shell Shot. Parakarry appears and assist PMario in recovery. He holds PMario while hiding in his shell charging energy for a momentum boost forward and upwards similar to Wolf's Side B but at a sharper angle. Kill move.

GRABS:

Mario uses Flurrie to grab his opponents.
Flurrie kisses the enemy restoring PMario's HP by 1 point as a pummel.
Forward throw: PMario decks you with his hammer.
Back throw: Ms. Mowz throws you via back flip.
Up throw: PMario throws you up via hammer and Vivian finishes with a Fiery Jinx.
Down Throw: Baby Yoshi Ground Pounds. Holding down B will have Yoshi perform up to 5 extra Ground Pounds.

Other Animations and Mechanics

Idle stance: PMario's signature death stare. No movement at all and no wait animations.

Shield: PMario raises his fist with an angry expression.

Air dodge and Spot dodge: PMario becomes slim for a split second.

Walk: Only PMario's feet are animated.

Dash: Same as walk except clouds of 2D dust trail behind.

Fall: PMario's hat flows in the wind.

Special Fall: PMario spins very slowly.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: PMario looks to us, eyes closed, wagging his finger.
Down Taunt: Mario does a small hop and falls down VERY slowly.
Side Taunt: Mario performs the "item get!" animation. Both hands up.

THERE YOU GO!

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
My personal favorite is TTYD following the first. I am indifferent towards SPM though I enjoyed it and I haven't touched SS aside from the trailer. I heard it's dookie.

Anyway. I'm gonna conjure up a moveset.

I may or may not pull moves from the Super Star Sega series and every game after it.

MOVESET

PAPER MARIO(I shall refer to him as PMario to save myself some time.)

JAB,RAPID JAB, FINISHER:
-PMario's signature hammer attack followed by rapid spins(Super Hammer tech) and a strong finisher with PMario facing the screen giving us a thumbs up.

FORWARD TILT:
-PMario performs a simple Hammer swing. It pops opponents at an upward angle setting up for Combo's.

DOWN TILT:
-PMario performs his Super Guard from the TTYD series. It has multi hit properties and a strong ending hit.

UP TILT:
-PMario performs Koops stylish move after the Shell Slam(spinning hand stand). Holding A will have PMario spin indefinitely. Pops opponents up for a next attack.

DASH ATTACK:
-Super Hammer spin. PMario performs the hammer spin while moving forward a moderate distance. Safe on shield as it passes your opponent.

FORWARD SMASH:
-Bow's Fan Fury. Bow brings out her fan and destroys anyone in front of her.

DOWN SMASH:
-Koopa Slide. Kooper or Koops will slide around Mario in a full circle. Strong knock back.

UP SMASH:
-Goomba Bash. Goombario or Gombella will jump from the ground Superman style while spinning. Similar to Olimar's Up Smash.

NEUTRAL AIR:
-Barry(Pixl). PMario spins rapidly with a circular spiked barrier. Single hit move. Invicibility on start up.

FORWARD AIR:
-Watt Shock. PMario holds onto Watt for a long time(Link's Dair) at a downward angle. Opponents caught in the attack are paralyzed for a moment. Pressing A while Watt is out will cause her to discharge hitting a little farther but weaker.

BACK AIR:
-PMario slams his hammer behind him(Ike Back Air). Kill move.

DOWN AIR:
-Ground Pound. Mario flips in the air and propels downward at lightning speed. Connecting hits will pop him back up ready for an attack.

NEUTRAL SPECIAL:
-Flare Hammer. Mario ***** back his hammer while a flame drops above him. Timing the shot will have PMario hit the flame lobbing it in front of him. Because of the difficulty and time it takes to perform and have the move connect, this is definitely a strong kill move. This move is a reference from TTYD.

FORWARD SPECIAL:
-Thoreau(Pixl). Mid Ranged command grab. If Thoreau connects with an opponent he will bring him/her to PMario's hands and Mario will be able to carry opponents DK style. Mario's movement will be restricted and will be limited to one jump. This move cannot be used as a tether.

DOWN SPECIAL:
-Bombs Away! PMario will lay down either Bombette or Bobbery. For 1 minute they will walk slowly where they were set before exploding. Pressing Down B again will have them explode immediately.

UP SPECIAL:
-Shell Shot. Parakarry appears and assist PMario in recovery. He holds PMario while hiding in his shell charging energy for a momentum boost forward and upwards similar to Wolf's Side B but at a sharper angle. Kill move.

GRABS:

Mario uses Flurrie to grab his opponents.
Flurrie kisses the enemy restoring PMario's HP by 1 point as a pummel.
Forward throw: PMario decks you with his hammer.
Back throw: Ms. Mowz throws you via back flip.
Up throw: PMario throws you up via hammer and Vivian finishes with a Fiery Jinx.
Down Throw: Baby Yoshi Ground Pounds. Holding down B will have Yoshi perform up to 5 extra Ground Pounds.

Other Animations and Mechanics

Idle stance: PMario's signature death stare. No movement at all and no wait animations.

Shield: PMario raises his fist with an angry expression.

Air dodge and Spot dodge: PMario becomes slim for a split second.

Walk: Only PMario's feet are animated.

Dash: Same as walk except clouds of 2D dust trail behind.

Fall: PMario's hat flows in the wind.

Special Fall: PMario spins very slowly.

Taunts:

Up Taunt: PMario looks to us, eyes closed, wagging his finger.
Down Taunt: Mario does a small hop and falls down VERY slowly.
Side Taunt: Mario performs the "item get!" animation. Both hands up.

THERE YOU GO!
Great moveset but I have a question; you already have a specials only moveset in the op so, do you want that I replace it with this one or just keep both of them?

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Great moveset but I have a question; you already have a specials only moveset in the op so, do you want that I replace it with this one or just keep both of them?
You can replace it if you want :)

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Really? People like TTTYD the best? I liked Super Paper Mario, to me the gameplay was great, the characters are memorable, and the Pixies were a good replacement for past partners. TTYD is surely my second, but I really didn't like Sticker Star. No partners is a no buy.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Really? People like TTTYD the best? I liked Super Paper Mario, to me the gameplay was great, the characters are memorable, and the Pixies were a good replacement for past partners. TTYD is surely my second, but I really didn't like Sticker Star. No partners is a no buy.
I thought Super Paper Mario was good, but I personally didn't like the Pixls too much. It's better than Sticker Star where the just ditched partners completely though. Super Paper Mario had a good story and great gameplay. It's one of the best side scrollers that I've ever played. The reason that I like the other two better is due to the RPG aspect and I found the character design for the first two a little better. Super was still a fantastic game though.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
My opinions on each game.

Paper Mario: Other than nostalgic reasons, this was the very first RPG game ever that I've played. Before PM I had Mario 64, Smash Bros., Pokemon Snap, Stadium, etc. It was the very first time I've played, learned, listen, enjoy, read, and loved an actual game. The game was hilarious, it had dialogue from different parts of the world. Each chapter was exciting to get to awaiting the suspense of the next partner, the next boss, and the next power up from the Star Spirit. And at the end, there is meaning in stopping Bowser and saving Peach. It was the first game I replayed just for the sake of replaying it.

PM has actually aged well in my opinion. I play it every now and then. The Paper Mario series has become one of my top 5 series of all time.

Paper Mario TTYD: Arguably my favorite PM. The graphics just exploded out the wall. The partners were so much better and so much more interesting in my opinion. They weren't just robots following you and speaking for you like in the first PM. Just like the first, the next Chapter was filled with suspense. New partner? New boss? New Power? And a new one, new intuitive unique chapters? TTYD honestly has some of the best transitions from chapter to chapter. From scaling a castle, herding Pikmin, fighting through the rankings in a wrestling ring, discovering pirates, traveling through train, going to the moon, and of course, an underground dungeon full of riddles. TTYD proves to be favorite with an increased emphasis on the badge system, which is my favorite part about the game. Not to mention the final boss is one hell of a show.

Super Paper Mario: This one kind of disappointed me. It was no longer what it used to be, but instead a new idea that didn't have to be done. But let's talk about the good first. Story. It is great, who knew all these plot twist would come rolling in. It is surprisingly dark for what it is. The characters, mainly the villians were interesting enough to warrant a full playthrough. That's pretty much it for the good. The biggest turn off for me was the fact they removed the key element of the game. And that's the turned based battle system, the EXP system, the badge system, action commands. Everything that made PM fun was almost all gone! It now just became a Mario platformer with some RPG elements like leveling up. Stories can be great, but if that's all it is I'd read a book. Partners were back.... sort of. These things had no personality after their introduction. They basically become Mario. Mute. Every item is at its core, the same thing. Fighting was simple and ridiculously easy. Other than endurance like Pit of 100 trails, I literally had 0 problems with ALL fights in the game. I beat Dementio without knowing how to. Not to mention all the new characters and monsters look lazily designed. Just a bunch of squares, circles, and triangles.

Paper Mario SS: Haven't touched or played.

Other thoughts.

If there's one thing that all games excel at, it's the soundtrack. Almost every single piece is enjoyable to my ears. The comedy. The dialogue in the game is hilarious. The progression. The game progresses really well barring some backtrack heavy chapters. The scenery. Every Chapter is beautiful and monumentally different. The story. The stories for all the games are legit. And lastly, the colorful cast of characters. I enjoyed every partner including Bowser, Peach, and Luigi in SPM.

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Unpopular opinion: Super Paper Mario was actually my favorite PM game. PP:TTYD is also one of my favorite games of all time, but I was more impressed with Super Paper Mario's story and unique blend of RPG and platformer that I'd never seen before.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Well I shall join you and state my opinion on every game then (note haven't played spm and sticker star so I'm just going to talk about what I saw and heard but this will not be reliable)

Paper mario

It's a good game. Really and that's because of the diversity of the environment that you go from ch to ch. Not to mention that it was the first time that the paper artstyle was introduced which for the nintendo64, was good. But, as a general point of view, it seemed to lack some details. What I mean is that it looked more solid and cartboard to me which doesn't reflect the thickness and the flexibility of the paper. It only reflected the 2D aspect of a paper but here, this was probably because the nintendo64 wasn't able to produce those effects which is forgiveable. The partner were ok for me and the battle mechanics was good enough for me. The real strength of this game is how every ch you do something completely different which actually make you feel that the game is longer and so, more enjoyable. The soundtrack is good some my favourite is king of the koopas especially the beginning it truly set the ambiance needed for this fight.

Now for TTYD

This game is a masterpiece and I'll even go as far to say that this is my best RPG after Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. I see it as an expansion of the first game because the base is the same but just enhanced. The artstyle... THE ARTSTYLE IS EXACTLY LIKE PAPER!!! Here, not only we are reflecting the thickness and flexibility of paper, we are also reflecting an art made of paper: the comic. Really an RPG like a comic? This is so fitting because it gives you the feel of the adventure like a zelda game would do with the environment, this one do it with the artstyle. And the battle mechanics... great improvements there. From the super guard to the stylish move and the partner badges, it allow you more options than ever which makes fight more enjoyable. The muaic is amazing; EVERY music follows their sound pattern which means that if you heard a music from TTYD, you can just know that it's from this game just by listening to the notes. No music is not fitting EVEN THE UNUSED ONE (there's one music unused in this game that would sound awesome but it wasn;t used so too bad). My favourite has to be We believe in you Mario!, which is, imo, the best encouraging music I've heard and the title screen theme (no joke this is the only menu music that came VERY CLOSE to be better than menu 1 in SSBM). Boss music are also amaxing most of them trying to reflect the intensity of the battle but they also have a mix with each boss. For example, Rawk Hawk uses alot of electric guitar while the Magnus one uses a bgm that reflect the "robot" side of this boss perfectly. One of the best ost I've heard.

But believe or not, for me, I realize that it goes FAR BEYOND that. Now, I said it multiple times that I loved so much this game that I decided to work with the speedrunning community by glitch hunting. I started on console but eventually got to emulator. And that's why this game is a masterpiece.

Did you heard story of developers that when they finished the game, they couldn't played it the same as the player does? It makes sense it's like trying to speedrun ocarina of time, you cannot play normally after (trust me this game has bug that will surprise you). This is because you inspect so closely every detail of the game from the inside which has very little to do with the game itself. So, you see more error than the player. But here, this is not what happened to me.

I realized that the game was so detailed from the outside to his inside that I just couldn't believe it. Personally, I think that it is IMPOSSIBLE to make such a detailed game without having interest to make a good game. I believed that I could find several minutes of skip but no the game is too well made (i actually found some stuff one that allows the speedruner to skip 10-15 minutes but it should have been an hour). Lots of skip potential, way too well coded I discovered several impossibilities and little possibilities. But you know what? After a total of 6 months of test, I still love this game as much as I did before and that is impressive. Imagine seeing the same visuals, hearing the same musics, doing repetitive tasks only to still like this game 10 years after his release. This game DOES not get old and this is why I consider it as a classic.

So, now you know why I want paper mario so much now; not reping this game more than some trophies and stickers is a CRIME. Not to mention that it sounds like Nintendo doesn't realize how good is this game which again lead me to wish for more rep to this series and the character would be the best thing that could happen in this game for me. Please Sakurai rep this series more.

Ouf now to Super Paper Mario

From what I heard and saw, this game actually doesn't look bad (I heard some music thanks to @ Rockaphin Rockaphin and they were good). What I just found is why 2D is the main mode for this game? That just bugs me what made the paper mario artstyle unique is how the graphics are 2D but the environment is 3D it's just weird for me to not respect that. Also, the removal of the turn by turn battle bugs me also because it seems to remove the strategy here which was good in the first 2 games. Overall, this game is actually not bad but it's not the best either.

Sticker star

So, now, I didn't understand why this game was even made when I looked at it first. Because here it's not like spm when you remove SOME of the elements while still keeping the essential one. No, here we remove ALL the important elements. Now this bugs me ALOT why would you even do that? Fortunately, it seems that we know. Acording to an Iwata asks, Myamoto didn't find good that the prototype was more of a port of TTYD (which I would actually like). So, they tried to go for something different that is better suited for an handheld and this explains alot. Remember that the wiiu was released a week after Sticker star. Since the game was in development long ago, it had to be released on the 3DS which explains some choices (they seemed to think that the series isn't suited for handheld which in some point, I agree). So, what I think will happen is that the James Anderson game would be a paper mario one and it will be released on the wiiu which means that we may see RPG elements again. So, just wait for the next title to be announced Sticker star may have been just an error to be corrected after.

Wow that's alot of text. so here's a TL;DR imo, Paper mario is good but TTYD is ALOT better. Spm is not bad but not the best either and sticker star was more suited for an handhled which explains the design choices.

God, that boss was difficult. The music was fantastic and I liked how it gave you the feeling of having "no hope."
Oh I really laugh at this boss it was so funny. The music is really good (I can hear it on my pc and still feel the boss without the game) but see, I got lucky here. I still have the highlight on twitch (long story here but I was in the speedruning community and one wanted that I stream my first attempt the beat the final boss). Just to summarize, I had pretty lucky on and on the final phase, I got from the first turns a shine bingo (which is great because no audience is supposed to be there) and I did some super guard that are really hard to do but got lucky on some + pretty lucky helped alot here. In the end, I got him first try and the guy on the chat was amazed I think he got it in his 13th attempt. The highlight is here but because I talked with alot in the chat, the battle was kinda slow but here it is:

Part 1 http://www.twitch.tv/aldelaro5/c/1791058

Part 2 http://www.twitch.tv/aldelaro5/c/1791061

(yeah my stream cut due to poor connection)

So, no it's not hard it's so easy :)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I was ridiculously under-leveled through my first play through. I run and skipped most of the enemies as a kid so that was part of my problem. Also, I rarely ranked up my BP so I couldn't use too many badges. Bottom-line, I sucked haha.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I understand the speed run community. I've watched streams with people clipping through the ground to sequence break Chapters. I've never seen a speed run of Paper Mario TTYD, though.

Yes, my favorite parts of the game were easily the Partners, new Chapters, new power-ups, new unique areas to traverse, the fight system along with badge strats, and the music.

I'm sad because my TTYD disc actually broke. Luckily, I did purchase PM on virtual console, though.

I'm hoping the next PM can be just as good or greater than TTYD, honestly. Paper Luigi isn't too bad either(the entire story is in TTYD anyway).

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I've never seen a speed run of Paper Mario TTYD, though.
There's not alot of speerun of it. Tough, Almolicious (you can find him on twitch) is the one that do the most of them. He's the record holder btw. Speaking of almo, I'm a mod in his chat! But he has alot of mods.

It's like 5-6 hours and like I said, this game is really solid so yeah there's alot more speedrun of paper mario than TTYD because of how paper mario is really broken in term of glitches and TTYD isn't.

Last edited:

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big supporter for Paper Mario in smash.

Not sure if someone thought of this already, but I think a good down-special for Paper Mario would be for Vivian/Lady Bow to appear and pull paper mario into the shadows. It would work similar to meta knight's dimensional cape or greninja's shadow sneak.

I imagine his final smash being either the showstopper or diamond star from TTYD.

Also thoreau would be his grab obviously. I can't see much of a use for the other pixls. Maybe Dashell could be part of his dash attack, but that seems unnecessary.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Have I posted in here yet? I should have. Paper Mario has always been one of my favorite newcomer candidates. When it comes to Smash, I'm not at all averse to "clone" characters in the vein of Paper Mario or Toon Link. I say that as long as an alternate version of a character is important enough, they deserve their own slot. And with a character starring in their own side series, with as much unique content to draw on for a moveset, it'd be a shame to leave out Paper Mario simply because "normal" Mario is already playable.

The only reason I haven't been active in this thread is because I think his chances are so slim that it's not even worth discussing. But I really do want to see him enter the fray eventually. The first two games are some of my favorite games of all time, especially TTYD, which is my favorite RPG (and Mario game in general). Even Super Paper Mario was an all-around enjoyable experience. I just sincerely hope that Sticker Star has minimal representation in this game, whether or not Paper Mario is playable. Knowing the trend, however, this too is probably unlikely.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I would love to see Paper Mario playable. Not only does he have so much potential in his moveset, but I really like his design.
I've yet to play TTYD and I didn't buy Sticker Star because of the comments about it, though. All the other Mario RPGs I've played are great, charming, humorous, and epic. Paper Mario definitely deserves to be playable.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Have I posted in here yet? I should have. Paper Mario has always been one of my favorite newcomer candidates. When it comes to Smash, I'm not at all averse to "clone" characters in the vein of Paper Mario or Toon Link. I say that as long as an alternate version of a character is important enough, they deserve their own slot. And with a character starring in their own side series, with as much unique content to draw on for a moveset, it'd be a shame to leave out Paper Mario simply because "normal" Mario is already playable.

The only reason I haven't been active in this thread is because I think his chances are so slim that it's not even worth discussing. But I really do want to see him enter the fray eventually. The first two games are some of my favorite games of all time, especially TTYD, which is my favorite RPG (and Mario game in general). Even Super Paper Mario was an all-around enjoyable experience. I just sincerely hope that Sticker Star has minimal representation in this game, whether or not Paper Mario is playable. Knowing the trend, however, this too is probably unlikely.
I just want to tell that his chance are a bit more likely than what you might think. The fact that the first 2 games (the second being a masterpiece imo) were so good just proves how not fair his representation was in brawl. But here, for a 39 characters roster, I think it would have been impossible to go for it knowing also that alot of characters deserved more priority (and the SSE for mewtwo but that's another story). Here, we are talking about a 45-49 roster which imo could include popular request or some that deserves more priority and paper mario. Like isn't ssb a tribute to Nintendo's best games and series? So why wouldn't paper mario get AT LEAST a single music while mario and luigi got one? This is really bugging me it's like why no lower norfair but yes to metroid prime 2 multilayer? This is why I want him so much but in reality, I just want that the whole series get properly rep. And knowing how Sakurai likes to review what Nintendo made and to reuse city trial which was so underrated and I was sure that we didn't finish talking about it and it turned out to be true. If city trial was so underrated then why paper mario can't have more rep knowing that it is important enough for nintendo to have 4 games since the nintendo 64 and maybe even 5 considering the James Anderson leak?

We have no idea if Sakurai considered it or not but that would be impressing to NOT consider it. Hey he bring fire emblem, a japan only franchise to the us and it's still relevant today. So, again, why the series cannot get more rep than it had with brawl considering that Sakurai gave more rep to an unknown series to us?

Yes it's only theories and speculation but I will qualify his chance as between acceptable and average but not "slim". There's clear reasons of why he should be in and if not, there's even more clear reason to give the series more rep other than a playable character just read the stage and music ideas so much potential there.

For sticker star, hum... metroid other m seems to get have more rep considering the trophies and samus's design and it doesn't look bad to me. My point here is that you shouldn't worry on this. It doesn't matter if paper mario got a moveset that half of it is based on stikcer star because this is a fighting game it is an INTERPRETATION of it so it can works better because of moveset potential. There's even a moveset in the op that has several elements from sticker star and it is a good moveset. You really should not worry about this because TTYD is much good that it would feel weird to ignore it and the first game.

I'm writhing this just so that you feel free to support it remember we cannot control Sakurai so what's left is hoping and we shall do this until there's no need for it. So, just don't give up on him if you support it, then so be it.

Also, do you want to be in the supporter list?

EDIT: Wow it seems that this thread gets alot of replies recently I'm happy. Wonder if it's my sig or the fact that the thread was in the first page most of the time. Because I like my sig :)

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It's good to see more support! Welcome all! ^_^

If you all HAD to pick one of the Paper Mario's, which one do you think would create the best moveset? Or which one would you personally like to see?

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
From what I read before, Paper Mario is actually a popular character in Japan. He was number one in a small poll but number one none-the-less.
I have a question, though. Do you guys think Paper Mario will represent a new franchise like Wario and Yoshi, or be part of the Mario characters?
It's good to see more support! Welcome all! ^_^

If you all HAD to pick one of the Paper Mario's, which one do you think would create the best moveset? Or which one would you personally like to see?
Thanks!
I only played Super Paper Mario, so I wouldn't know all his possible moves. Are Pixls only in Super Paper Mario? I assume Sakurai would use the latest game for his moveset, in other words, Sticker Star, but I would choose TTYD because it seems to be his most memorable game.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
You know already for me don't you? TTYD of course. hammer mechanics, partner that were, imo, better than the first game, ultra jump/ultra hammer and the stylish (someone needs to make a moveset with stylish moves for his aerial). It's also the game that made me support him in the first place so it;s the one I want to see it the most.

From what I read before, Paper Mario is actually a popular character in Japan. He was number one in a small poll but number one none-the-less.
I have a question, though. Do you guys think Paper Mario will represent a new franchise like Wario and Yoshi, or be part of the Mario characters?
For the japan poll, the person clearly said it was a quick look on other sites (I don'r even think that it was a poll) and he also said that this is clearly not a good representation of the general opinion. So, I shouldn't consider this that much it's not reliable enough.

For his series rep. Well, as said in the op, in the end, it doesn;t matter he will still be added because he would have been worth it and being a good addition. Now for my takes on it, I'm mixed but I'm goin to say a mario rep. This is because yes this is a different series from the main one but itls still a branch od the main one and it IS mario just made differently (which is enough to worth a place). Take ttoon link, his design is so different that you could believe that hels not from the main series but nope he;s still link so it's still a zelda rep. And I saw no game that mixed the regular link with the toon one which just proves how they are unique each other (talking in their series NOT in smash). But still, in the end, it doesn't matter he would be added for the same reason either way and this only relies on how Sakurai sees it.

Of course. Paper Mario has always been one of my most wanted characters. I won't fret if he doesn't get in, but he's definitely one of my dream inclusions.:b:
Done, you're now in the list your support is very appreciated.

Wow I'm glad I became op of this thread we're getting more replies than ever. I knew this thread wasn't meant to die and it shall continue like that.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 add me to the support list.
See, I've heard this too but sadly I can't really prove it. I think I've seen the poll that you're talking about though. Paper Mario was winning by a lot.
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I think he'll get a different icon and maybe a different victory theme. Honestly, he's still Mario, however he represents a different aspect of the Mario franchise.
Maybe one of these icons would work:

(I made these in a rush and I'm half asleep)
Paper Mushroom and the other is the EXP Point Icon.
I only played Super Paper Mario, so I wouldn't know all his possible moves. Are Pixls only in Super Paper Mario? I assume Sakurai would use the latest game for his moveset, in other words, Sticker Star, but I would choose TTYD because it seems to be his most memorable game.
Yes, Pixls are only in Super. The previous installments had partners which included Koopas, Goombas, and other characters. They all had stories to them and each have different abilities. I hope Sticker Star wouldn't be part of his moveset. Well maybe it could have some influence but I don't even know how stickers would even work honestly.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I'd like to see somewhere along the lines of a Star Spirit, Crystal Star, or Pure Heart as a logo.

Thanks!
I only played Super Paper Mario.
I feel sorry for you buddy. If you haven't played the first 2, you are truly missing out.

Staarih

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind either way really, but I think many people would like him to represent his own series so that it feels like there's still "room" for an extra Mario-character haha! I always thought a "paperized" mushroom would work as an icon for him (maybe a corner of it folded over or something), to keep the ties with the Mario-franchise, but still make it his own.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
@ aldelaro5 aldelaro5 add me to the support list.
Done! (don't know why I haven't added you already)

See, I've heard this too but sadly I can't really prove it. I think I've seen the poll that you're talking about though. Paper Mario was winning by a lot.
Euh... I'm confused are we talking about this?

http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-little-mac-in-smash-bros/

(look at the botton) that is the only mention of his popularity in japan.

I wouldn't mind either way really, but I think many people would like him to represent his own series so that it feels like there's still "room" for an extra Mario-character haha! I always thought a "paperized" mushroom would work as an icon for him (maybe a corner of it folded over or something), to keep the ties with the Mario-franchise, but still make it his own.
Don't worry if Sakurai adds him, it will be because of how it would be a good addition and not because of rooms left in the roster/

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
For his series rep. Well, as said in the op, in the end, it doesn;t matter he will still be added because he would have been worth it and being a good addition. Now for my takes on it, I'm mixed but I'm goin to say a mario rep. This is because yes this is a different series from the main one but itls still a branch od the main one and it IS mario just made differently (which is enough to worth a place). Take ttoon link, his design is so different that you could believe that hels not from the main series but nope he;s still link so it's still a zelda rep. And I saw no game that mixed the regular link with the toon one which just proves how they are unique each other (talking in their series NOT in smash). But still, in the end, it doesn't matter he would be added for the same reason either way and this only relies on how Sakurai sees it.
I agree, he would be in smash either way, but I think I would prefer him as a different franchise. I think that way he would receive more content like Warioware does. Either way he should have a stage and AT at least.
Hmmm, that's a tough one. I think he'll get a different icon and maybe a different victory theme. Honestly, he's still Mario, however he represents a different aspect of the Mario franchise.
Maybe one of these icons would work:

(I made these in a rush and I'm half asleep)
Paper Mushroom and the other is the EXP Point Icon.
I think the star would work great, I also pictured it being a star.
I feel sorry for you buddy. If you haven't played the first 2, you are truly missing out.
I've seen my friend play TTYD at his house a long time ago and I know how awesome other Mario RPGs are. I've played SMRPG like 6 times and the original M&L: SS like 5 times. I still think SPM is awesome and I liked its style, but it shouldn't replace the original PM gameplay, which is why I think people think it's bad. On its own it's great, but compared to the first two I can understand the disappointment.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I've seen my friend play TTYD at his house a long time ago and I know how awesome other Mario RPGs are. I've played SMRPG like 6 times and the original M&L: SS like 5 times. I still think SPM is awesome and I liked its style, but it shouldn't replace the original PM gameplay, which is why I think people think it's bad. On its own it's great, but compared to the first two I can understand the disappointment.
I recommend you to get TTYD if you can now. I'm sure that most of the people that played sticker star that found it a good game as a paper mario game hasn't played the first 2 one. You really need to play this game it probably won't change your takes on spm (since it's actually not bad) but you'll truly understand how a mario rpg is impressive when the developers put interest and efforts in it. I played superstar saga and smrpg but none of them came close to the awesomeness of TTYD (not even chrono trigger which was my favourite RPG before I played TTYD). It's pretty much like Earthbound: you have to experience it to enjoy it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I loved Super, and it's a really good game. My only complaint is that I wished they kept the RPG element to Paper Mario. But they did a great job mixing the platformer genre and RPG genre together.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I recommend you to get TTYD if you can now. I'm sure that most of the people that played sticker star that found it a good game as a paper mario game hasn't played the first 2 one. You really need to play this game it probably won't change your takes on spm (since it's actually not bad) but you'll truly understand how a mario rpg is impressive when the developers put interest and efforts in it. I played superstar saga and smrpg but none of them came close to the awesomeness of TTYD (not even chrono trigger which was my favourite RPG before I played TTYD). It's pretty much like Earthbound: you have to experience it to enjoy it.
Worded like that, I'll try to get my hands on it. I've played all the RPGs you've mentioned and they're among my favorites.
I loved Super, and it's a really good game. My only complaint is that I wished they kept the RPG element to Paper Mario. But they did a great job mixing the platformer genre and RPG genre together.
I'm a big platformer player so I loved SPM, but I'm also an RPG player. People not liking the turn of gameplay between TTYD and SPM is normal. I personally would enjoy having SPM as a handheld game and the RPG as a console game (or the other way around). Having one replace the other is what was bad about SPM, because making SPM basically left out the RPG game people wanted.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
No I found a different poll but I can't remember where it was. I think I posted a link in the polls forums.
Thanks to this site's search function I found it!

you posted this in the official character thread but on March 11 2014

http://www32.atwiki.jp/mahoroa/pages/21.html
Choice / Number of votes / obtained Percentage of votes

Paper Mario 205 (21%)
Monster Hunter 187 (19%)
King Couleur 87 (9%)
Lucina 79 (8%)
Nick & Captain ★ Rainbow Fifty (5%)
Daisy 42 (4%)
Shuruku Forty (4%)
Banjo & Kazui 36 (4%)
Waluigi 34 (3%)
Dixie Kong Thirty (3%)
Girahimu 24 (2%)
Slime 22 (2%)
Magna Twenty (2%)
Metal Mario 19 (2%)
Robin Twelve (1%)
Fluff Eleven (1%)
Frey and Freya Ten (1%)
Lip Eight (1%)
Takamaru Eight (1%)
Bachmann Seven (1%)
Isa Six (1%)
Elsa Five (1%)
Ende Five (1%)
Ukulele Pichu Five (1%)
Ryu Hayabusa Four (0%)
Ray Four (0%)
DeMille Four (0%)
Randasu Three (0%)
Gitchoman Two (0%)
Jukain Two (0%)
Doshin the Giant (Hate) Two (0%)
Sukapon One (0%)
Heron One (0%)
Crow One (0%)
Ridley One (0%)

Total number of votes cast 977

(from google translate so yes this is weird but you clearly see paper mario on the top).

Now this was the result of today, but here was the result when you posted the message (so March 11 2014)

Paper Mario (18%)
Monster Hunter (11%)
Nick & Captain ★ Rainbow (9%)
Lucina (9%)
Daisy (6%)
Waluigi (5%)
Dixie Kong (4%)
Shuruku [Shulk] (4%)
Banjo & Kazui (4%)
Metal Mario (4%)
Magna [Magnus] (4%)
Girahimu (3%)
Shibanyan (3%)
King Couleur [King K. Rool] (2%)
Slime (2%)
Mewtwo (2%)
Frey and Freya (2%)
Fluff (1%)
Isa (1%)
Elsa (1%)
Ukulele Pichu (1%)
Bachmann (1%)
Ende (1%)
Ryu Hayabusa (0%)
Lip (0%)
Ray (0%)
Robin (0%)
Klonoa & Gantz (0%)
Zoroark (0%)
Baby Mario and Baby Luigi (0%)
Heron (0%)
Takamaru (0%)
Crow (0%)
NARUTO (0%)
Ridley (0%)
DeMille (0%)
Piramekipanda (0%)
Doll warrior Gaussian (0%)

Total number of votes cast: 456

@Zynux got the result via google translate of the same poll and as you can see, paper mario was in the lead since March and it is more today.

According to the statistic of this site, which is a wiki, there's been thousands of visitors but I don't know if it's reliable enough.

Still, at least there's proof that a poll of around 1000 votes has paper mario with more than 20% of voters. Altough, there's one thing to note: you can just click on vote to vote it so it's really easy to vote idk if it could have falsified the results.

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
How big would PMario be compared to the Smash roster?

He's kind of awkwardly sized in my opinion. He'd have to be just barely smaller than Mario and would probably need to lose some weight cuz he's definitely phat.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

He's kind of awkwardly sized in my opinion. He'd have to be just barely smaller than Mario and would probably need to lose some weight cuz he's definitely phat.
Hmm, Maybe the height of Lucas or Mr. G&W. Also, he'd be pretty light due to him being paper.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

He would be too small because ridley's in :troll:

But seriously, he would be a bit smaller compared to mario due to his body being smaller. His weight, well… I wonder here because in his games, he's not floaty at all. In fact, he's breaking the gravity logic by falling at a normal speed and he's very agile also (TTYD stylish). So, I wonder but I'll go with him being lighter just because it would make sense and not feel like mario (implying he doesn't already lol)

Also, his arms would be like this:

http://www.vgfacts.com/trivia/6003/

(Trivia and all content found and made by me).

And we're arguing how ridley's size makes sense just check this it's not THAT bad compared to him :)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Thousand Year Door is my favorite, but I love the first one too. It's okay as long as one of THOSE is your favorite.

There are chapters of both I could truly do without though. I don't like the Creepy Steeple or the Pikmin Boggly Woods in TTYD.. Nor do I like Dry Dry Ruins or Flower Fields in PM64... But in the end, The Glitz Pit alone is enough to make me love TTYD so much... Though I also love a mystery train!

*eye twitch* I need a new (good) Paper Mario game. It's not nostalgia blinding me either. Also, I need Paper Mario in Smash.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
Here's what I think.
PM: Really good
TTYD: Really good
SPM: Pretty good
SS: Uninspired

A Wii U sequel announced at E3 with heavy inspiration taken from TTYD and we're all good.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Thousand Year Door is my favorite, but I love the first one too. It's okay as long as one of THOSE is your favorite.

There are chapters of both I could truly do without though. I don't like the Creepy Steeple or the Pikmin Boggly Woods in TTYD.. Nor do I like Dry Dry Ruins or Flower Fields in PM64... But in the end, The Glitz Pit alone is enough to make me love TTYD so much... Though I also love a mystery train!

*eye twitch* I need a new (good) Paper Mario game. It's not nostalgia blinding me either. Also, I need Paper Mario in Smash.
Actually, I really liked the ch4 of TTYD (tough yeah I kinda disliked the ch6 of the pm64). See, both are ch that uses backtracking alot but the TTYD one added something that made it FAR better than the ch6 in 64. In pm64, it could quickly become annoying because of how you start at A then go to B and go back to A to get to C to get to another point passing by A to return to C and... you get the point. It's not even like metroid prime where the backtracking is manageable it's just not fun and I still don't see why they did that (seriously even the item collectathon in Earthbound / Majora's mask was better than this).

But the ch4 of TTYD, not only you only backtrack between 2 points but there's actually a purpose behind it.

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED TTYD THEN
DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER!!! You'll thank me later but please play the game before doing this.

[collapse=Here's why this ch is far better than his counterpart]
First of all, the mood of this ch4 tries to be creepy. When you arrive, the most color you'll see is black because they tried to represent shadows which fits the mood. Not only the artstyle is as different and awesome as ever but the way you trigger stuff is... kinda weird. You go somewhere only to realize that the previous person you talked 30 seconds ago got transformed into a pig just that is quickly setting the mood. But here, this is where it begins to be interesting.

Throughout the way to creepy steeple, and to getting to the top of creepy steeple, you'll notice something that just doesn't feel right in this game: it really seems that this ch4 would suck at this point because for a "dungeon", it's really short and you don't have much to do here until you get to the boss. So, at this point, you probably tough that all went normally and that would be it after despite how this ch is so short right?

I really want your answer (in spoiler please), but be honest how did you react after the game prompted you to save? I saw some fakes in games but not as believable as this one (even dkc it said THE END? so you could have guessed seconds before). Really how did you feel after you got the ch ending screen and then having to save your game and seeing the screen locked on the top of the creepy steeple when you just beat Doopliss? For me, I literally tough my game was frozen and maybe you haven't got this but what would be your first reflex after thinking that your game is frozen? Trying to press buttons of course and...

OMG I cannot describe how WTF??? I was at this precise moment. There's NO WAY I would have expected that to happen and I tough that this ch would suck, it changed right there. The feeling you get is creepy as heck because you have the feeling that your identity was stolen (imagine someone somehow knew your credit card number how would you react?) It begins to a point where you're scared and even some panic here.

And that's why the backtracking here comes into play: The mood here is organised so that this feel is maintained for the longest period of time. Why? well if we go back to my credit card example, this is even worst that this situation just stays there longer because you have more chance to be stolen. Same here, heck you can't even leave the town so that you aren't safe but stuck there. The fact that you have to run away multiple times from Doopliss just enhance this feeling of creepy.
You partner even fight against you here! Really, I think it's clear what this ch was trying to do the whole time and if you think about it, one of the most creative thing of doing so.

Lots of people loved ch3 and I do too but just think about it the reason why it's so good is how creative that this ch is fun. You fight like 21 times which at first seems to get repetitive but the ch is made so that yes it is repetitive, but it doesn't FEEL like it. On the opposite, it seems to change every fight making this ch very fun because of its concentrated variety. The same logic applies for ch4 backtracking 3 times over like 5 screens every times sounds very boring but it's not because of how this ch tries constantly to remind you that you are followed and that you can't even leave. This is why it's my third best ch in the game (first is ch3 and second is ch5, very impressing that they managed to do a splendid ch mostly because of the text).

My opinion btw, but it's just that I see alot of people disliked this ch while it fixed the error his counterpart did.

[/collapse]

But I agree ch2... Well it wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best either. Tought, I liked the artstyle here and THE F***KING BOSS THEME!!! So sad that it's short because this music is awesome only because of like 5-10 seconds it is that good. I think it's weakest ch of the game but by that, I mean great (the ch7 yes was snnoying but more than make up after the canon). So, the least ch is great and the best is amazing talk about a good game!

Last edited:

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
I was wondering what those red things on your avatar was, haha.

My simple opinions on each chapter of Paper Mario 1

Prologue: Typical prologues. It was boring but I can't really bag it. You can get through it all the way to Toad Town with your eyes closed and the Goomba King was really all in all a pointless boss. I'm glad the games aesthetics appealed to my senses in the beginning, though.

Chapter 1: My first playthrough as a kid I got lost. Couldn't find Koopa Village and thought I broke the game. That's my own fault though. PM seems to have a habit of making boring first chapters. This isn't an exception, in my opinion. Luckily, the Koopa Bros. were a fun idea and the theme was pretty bad ass.

Chapter 2: Got lost again in my first playthrough. At least in this chapter getting lost is more understandable. I actually liked this chapter however. When you finally found the rock to place the gem and the sky turned dark. The wind blew and an entire temple just appeared in front of you. It felt mysterious and full of intrigue like it was supposed to. I also enjoyed the boss even though he was some 1st class koopa.

Chapter 3: Got lost. This time is even acceptable, dare I say, to get lost in this chapter. After the maze I was greeted with an exciting character, however. Bow is definitely in my top list of partners. She just exudes confidence and high class sass. I loved when she made an appearance in TTYD. This chapter had a great theme to it and as of always, the boss and its theme were badass.

Chapter 4: I actually dislike this chapter. I do like Watt, though. It was pretty much the go-to partner for piercing defense and doing clean damage. But the chapter itself was extremely boring to my taste. A lot of people actually liked the boss of this chapter as well. Though I don't hate him, I didn't find anything special about him other than being a spoiled kid.

Chapter 5: This is one of my favorite chapters. I always had some interest in traveling to deserted or dangerous islands. The boss was one of my favorites as well since it was one of the coolest looking Piranha Plants I've ever seen. The boss theme could've used some more work, though. The adventures with Kolorado were pretty fun as well.

Chapter 6: This chapter is meh. The amount of things you had to do was almost insurmountable at the time. Not to mention back tracking was a thing. The boss was hard as balls, however. That was actually fun, though. I believe I failed him much more than any boss I've ever faced the first time around.

Chapter 7: Another of my favorite chapters. Forget about the Mayor's wife, though. I swear the ho needa go. The journey to the Crystal Palace? Great! The Palace itself? Awesome! The boss? Badass! The theme of the boss and palace? Irreplaceable! This chapter was great in all places for me. The mirrored rooms were something to behold, weren't they?

Chapter 8: Best way to end a game. This chapter was perfect in my opinion. It was long, mostly difficult, gave you a feeling of progression, and the moment you reached the castle you started in at the beginning of the game, you knew you were close to finishing the game. The fight with every Bowser form was epic in all matters possible.

Epilogue: The ending credits may have been the best I've ever seen of any game. Every character you encountered, bosses, partners, minor characters, were all together in one big parade. New animations, emotions rushing by, and an epic theme to top it all of. This game had the perfect ending in my mind. IF ONLY THE END SCREEN WOULD ALLOW ME TO ENTER THE AFTER GAME!!!!

That's my review on each chapter. I'll do one for TTYD soon.

Top Bottom