• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you want announced besides characters.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
RANKED
ONLINE.

PATCH-NOTES.

The menu (third image) for Ranked, Casual, and Lobby would be the same. Whenever players highlight an option from a menu, there will be context sensitive options that can be selected/toggled by pressing the corresponding buttons on a controller. For example. Highlighting Home > Online > Lobby > Tournament may add a unique option in which players can simply press Y to open a new Lobby. Highlighting Home > Online > Ranked > 1 vs 1 may come with an option to press X to display leaderboard (with focus on your ranking). Of course from that point you can navigate back to the home/root menu of the Leaderboard, the same view you'd have gotten had you selected Home > Online > Leaderboards.

Selecting Home > Online > Leaderboards, Replay Channel, or Create just take you right into their respective menus with no sub menus.

Now to get into the grand idea being shared in this post! "Create" basically takes you to whatever the "Custom Match Setup" menu is, allowing players to fully customize match rules and all kinds of other values (game speed, knockback, rage adjustments... you name it) When a player is finished, they post the game online for other players to discover and experience. Upon discovering or experiencing a Custom Game, those ?#s (see right column of 3rd image) are replaced with a unique ID and description summary. The original creator of that game will also be displayed unless the creator decides against it. If a player creates the very same game that another has already posted, they will not receive credit and will be notified that their game already exists as ____ (whatever the Custom Game's ID is).

If you highlight Home > Online > Ranked > ?#1 (turned #0001|1vs1 w/Items, Stage Hazards, 2 Stocks, Best of 3 Set Commitment...), you would get an option to press a button to change the view. For example, Tap Y (Displaying Your Top 4 Most Played Custom Games). Tap Y (Displaying Your Most Recently Created Games). Tap Y (Displaying Most Popular). So with this example of those context sensitive options talked about above, you can see how players would be able to easily discover new Custom Games. Furthermore, I am showing here that YES, every unique Custom Game would have its own leaderboard! It's possible for Custom Games to rise in popularity and surpass even the default game modes (third image, left column), whether that be in Ranked, Casual, or Lobby!

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~

-obviously super good net code and a number of options that help players minimize the number of poor connections with other players is at top

-full online match history (detailed) and player vs player stat cards

-set commitment
the idea that players understand they are expected to play out an entire set, whether it be a first to 1, 2, or 3. The default Ranked 1 vs 1 would be locked at Set Commitment On (best of 3). IF players leave before finishing the set, there would be consequences. I'm thinking there would be a reputation that is displayed on leaderboards, but there is also a gauge that impacts your point gain and loss. The higher the meter, the less you gain and more you lose. So keeping the gauge at 0% is how you get max points or take the min hit.

-attach comments to replays
I'd like to see a trend for the Replay Channel where players share their videos while asking for constructive criticism from anyone who'd view. Players can watch a replay, comment, and that will get back to the person who uploaded the video. Also, other players watching can view comments as they occur. For example. You may leave a comment at 4:28 where the player parried a jab but attempted to counter with a smash attack. This happened a few times leading up to 4:28. One of the viewers comments "Drop the habit of trying to counter with anything in those situations. Just escape the pressure". I don't know if this is true, by the way. I'm just giving an example.

-create exact highlight segments
More useful stuff for the Replay Channel. Simply pick your ranges. "5:07 to 5:01" or "3:07 to 2:15". Select "Attach To Replay". When anyone views the replay, they can press _ to RW/FF to next highlight. I'd want a lot of good playback options for replay viewing. I'd also like for players to be able to edit and save replays so that changes (add B&W at certain times, add slow-mo, fix a dramatic camera angle, etc.) stick for future viewings.

Whew. I can't wait for the Direct that gets into the online mode and the training mode.

Edit: Forgot to mention. That Tournament #1 (third image, left column) is the first "Splatfest of Ultimate". Every two weeks (or maybe month), players would get to participate in a unique tournament that comes from the dev team. The unique ID for these can always be sought so players can re-experience this tournament at anytime, although not for ranking points and position on its leaderboard. And others have suggested this, but it would be cool to earn in-game prizes for this.

Home > Online > Ranked > Tournament #1
You will be tossed into a bracket of players who are of the same Experience Class (in Street Fighter V, for example, Bronze - Grand Master or whatever).
Your finishing position will get you x amount of points. You can keep playing as many times as you'd like being thrown into a new bracket each time. At the end of the two weeks or month, your total points will be calculated under some cool formula. Players will earn an Overall Tournament Ranking (goes up/down over time with participation/non-participation in these special tournaments over the years). Of course, each individual tournament will have a Final Standings leaderboard that can only be changed when the dev team shoots us an old Tournament Game ID (ex. we play Tournament #1's rules again next March).

Home > Online > Casual > Tournament #1
same as ranked, just not for points/leaderboard position/prizes

Home > Online > Lobby > Tournament #1
invite friends to participate with options to allow other players to join, even if only as spectators
Heyy! I'm not the only one to want a Smash Rank Mode! Nice!

What if there was a Smash League (Like a Tourney Based League)?

Thought of that hearing this. Made by Alex Hull.

Announce this and I'm set for life man.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Heyy! I'm not the only one to want a Smash Rank Mode! Nice!

What if there was a Smash League (Like a Tourney Based League)?

Thought of that hearing this. Made by Alex Hull.

Announce this and I'm set for life man.
Sure, whatever.

As long I can fight people on my skill level and not flip-flop between a literal child that got the game for Christmas and Goddamn ZERO

D

Deleted member

Ive said this before but, i really want a character color palette. So we could change the color values of whatever we wanted on the character.

I would also want to see a toggle for being able to change which comes first, SSS or CSS.

Lastly, I would like to have an adventure mode.

xoazi

Smash Rookie
NNID
kyziii
Switch FC
SW-3315-9796-7008
Would be cool to have the option to make a custom palette for a character, but I definitely see why that be a big problem.
As everyone else is saying, alternate costumes and a lot of them. Would love to play as Peach in a Bowsette alt some of her odyssey outfits

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
that this game will get dlc the entire switch console cycle

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
All the single player game modes like Break the Targets and, most of all, Board the Platforms.

An adventure or story mode would be nice too.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm surprised no one has said they want Advanced Hazard Toggle. Ultimate finally has a way to turn off hazards and, as some of us feared, a lot of what the developers consider hazards doesn't entirely align with what we consider to be hazards.

Gonna go with the obvious example with Wily Castle. With hazards off, the Yellow Devil doesn't appear, but neither do any of the moving platforms that would have made it a super interesting stage to fight on in the first place.

With Advanced Hazard Toggle, it brings up a menu that takes you to the stage select screen. From there, clicking on a stage would bring up a list of everything that the developers consider to be a hazard for that stage (the tilting of Pleiades, the movement of certain platforms like the ones on Saffron City, Kamek in Mushroom Kingdom U). The list would look like the My Music page, but instead of frequency bars, it just has on / off switches.

Then we can toggle them on and off, so that when we click on the button to turn hazards off in the stage select screen in normal play, only the ones we ourselves consider to be hazards will be turned off. Meaning we could play on Wily Castle with everything EXCEPT the Yellow Devil, instead of playing on a flat, boring Final Destination layout but with edges that reach below the blast line.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
I'm surprised no one has said they want Advanced Hazard Toggle. Ultimate finally has a way to turn off hazards and, as some of us feared, a lot of what the developers consider hazards doesn't entirely align with what we consider to be hazards.

Gonna go with the obvious example with Wily Castle. With hazards off, the Yellow Devil doesn't appear, but neither do any of the moving platforms that would have made it a super interesting stage to fight on in the first place.

With Advanced Hazard Toggle, it brings up a menu that takes you to the stage select screen. From there, clicking on a stage would bring up a list of everything that the developers consider to be a hazard for that stage (the tilting of Pleiades, the movement of certain platforms like the ones on Saffron City, Kamek in Mushroom Kingdom U). The list would look like the My Music page, but instead of frequency bars, it just has on / off switches.

Then we can toggle them on and off, so that when we click on the button to turn hazards off in the stage select screen in normal play, only the ones we ourselves consider to be hazards will be turned off. Meaning we could play on Wily Castle with everything EXCEPT the Yellow Devil, instead of playing on a flat, boring Final Destination layout but with edges that reach below the blast line.
This is an amazing idea, but I can see why they wouldn't implement it. I think the sheer number of stages in Ultimate would likely make this too large of an endeavor for the developers to undertake, so the simple "all hazards on or off" option makes a lot more sense. It would definitely add a whole new level of customization to the stage selection though.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
This is an amazing idea, but I can see why they wouldn't implement it. I think the sheer number of stages in Ultimate would likely make this too large of an endeavor for the developers to undertake, so the simple "all hazards on or off" option makes a lot more sense. It would definitely add a whole new level of customization to the stage selection though.
I can see that, yeah. Nonetheless, it would be a forever-appreciated addition should they ever do it, either in the base game, as a DLC update, or a possible sequel.

Oh, I had another idea, though I have no idea how exactly it'd work: being able to save game-wide settings to the internet. This way, tournament organizers only need to download the agreed-upon ruleset for competitive play instead of having to carefully set up aaaaaaaaall the rules beforehand, which I heard is very tedious (and the subject of much snark online). This could work with names, too, so that some tourney players' preferred controller settings are already set up without tournament organizers needing to go through yet more hassle.

Again, though, I have no idea how this could be feasible. Maybe the ruleset could be generated as a 16-digit code or something that tournament organizers just need to input once somewhere? QR codes wouldn't work because the Switch doesn't have a camera. But I think this feature would be really cool.

you can waveland off of the edge of platforms or stages

if you can / can’t tech a grounded spike

combos

stun / DI

percentage differences in 1v1 vs 2v2 vs free for all etc.

changes to veteran movesets

just gameplay stuff mostly.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
Confirmation that you can toggle with rage mode. It looks like you can given that balance option on the menu but I want to know for sure.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Amy Rose as an Assist Trophy character

Deus

Smash Journeyman
you can waveland off of the edge of platforms or stages

if you can / can’t tech a grounded spike

combos

stun / DI

percentage differences in 1v1 vs 2v2 vs free for all etc.

changes to veteran movesets

just gameplay stuff mostly.
Seriously, all that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was gameplay mechanics. More than anything I want more hitstun and relying on DI to get out of combos and setups. I know that unfortunately anything that drastic isn't going to happen at this point.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I really want to see bonuses return from Smash 64 and Melee; they made the scoring a lot more interesting, and required some strategy beyond "do as much damage as possible as quickly as possible and KO the opponent(s) as early as possible".

Last edited:
Seriously, all that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was gameplay mechanics. More than anything I want more hitstun and relying on DI to get out of combos and setups. I know that unfortunately anything that drastic isn't going to happen at this point.
Yeah, sadly. However, I’m open to being pleasantly surprised. Nintendo has been quiet receptive to the competitive aspects of smash, in addition to that, the footage of the game in progress has been minimized; to literally 2 videos of Snake vs K.Rool and Chrom / Lucina vs. Ridley and Dark Samus. Which look fairly promising.

I think what would help as well is if people here had more constructive things about gameplay, as opposed to the overwhelming majority who tend to gossip than focus more on practicality, but a shift in the players who want to truly play vs those who are fans who want to chat will come with the release of the game.

There are things that look promising in the game. I already theory craft set ups from all of the playing.

I’ve seen players do short hop aerials that send opponents at a low trajectory and different scenarios pop up in my head. Let’s say you’re Captain Falcon and you land a short hop Nair at a lower percent. Given the trajectory, you can either land another Nair, or you can dash into a jab, gentleman, or jab>grab.

Perfect shielding is going to be an interesting take on the current meta, allowing more free form pressure, but at a risk for both players. Approaching and crossing up can be easily shut down at low percents if players are willing to take a risk for a hard punish. If you are playing against a Luigi who wants to grab combo you, you can delay your attacks on shield to bait out his perfect shield attempt. Players who rely on parrying an attack > punish can get baited out of a shield drop since grabs can be teched like in traditional fighters, making tomahawking an interesting option again. If aerials have enough stun / low enough landing lag you can probably get away with aerial on shield > grab to tech a shield grab.

There’s so much to talk about it’s killing me lol.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
Extra alternative costumes. It'd be cool if a majority of the roster had the Little Mac 16 skins and two "versions" for thing. Personally I'd be quite ok with it I feel was either unlockable content (because unlocking everything in Melee and Brawl was really fun) or realistically like other fighting games if it was paid DLC, since Nintendo has a pretty good track record when it comes to DLC bang for your buck.
Story mode a la Subspace. Pretty self-explanatory, but unlike Subspace have it feature enemies from Nintendo properties, like how the Smash Run enemies were.
Speaking of, return of Smash run, with extra stage layouts, online multiplayer, boss events like Dynablade was in Airride, and being able to interact with and KO opposing players to steal their stuff. Basically embrace the city trial aspect to the extreme.
Have multiple ways to farm for trophies so for example trophy rush from 4 and the weird shooting mini game from Brawl. Give us some variety in how we work for the extra stuff.
Stage Builder. Combine the flexibility of the Smash 4 one with the various prefab based builder of Brawl. Basically choose a prefab, choose whether you want to extend it, multiply it, or modify it like choosing a path for a platform to follow. And allow overlapping of prefabs since some of the best custom stages in Brawl removed that restriction (i.e. Having two spinning wheel platforms intersect so the platforms overlap).
Bring back Melee break the targets, race to the finish, and all those little mini games used to break up classic mode. They weren't insanely fun, but it helped to add just a little extra spice to it and having some modernized version would be nice to mess with every now and again.
Finally, more music. I love a lot of the music Sakurai and his team put into the Smash games, but there's ALWAYS a song or two that I want so badly, solution would be either just make a bigger soundtrack, which given how long it is now is probably asking too much, or have DLC music packs for certain series.
Now obviously if I was in Sakurai's shoes I wouldn't go for everything idea, because time constraints and feature creep, but a few of these would be nice.
As for why I listed some things as DLC, I, just trying to be a bit realistic, it's a common practice, and while Nintendo is known for going their own way, I wouldn't imagine it would be impossible.

Top Bottom