• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things you want announced besides characters.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
A revamped Pokefloats stage..... with the Omega/Final Destination Version is playing on top of an Avalugg.... I mean hey, its flat!

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
A revamped Pokefloats stage..... with the Omega/Final Destination Version is playing on top of an Avalugg.... I mean hey, its flat!
Uh, Final Destination and Battlefield are supposed to have normal traction.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yes! I’ve been trying to figure out how they would handle Omega PokéFloats but could never think of it. Never even thought of Avalugg.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Yes! I’ve been trying to figure out how they would handle Omega PokéFloats but could never think of it. Never even thought of Avalugg.
I would think that Unowns would have been the platforms, but it's hard to say what the solid chunk stage would be.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Give us a Rank Mode. PLEASE give us an online rank mode.

I may be the only person who wants this, but I can't afford to go to Tourney's like everyone else can. And the Global Smash Power was extremely underwhelming, if not pointless, in my opinion.

For Glory was fun, but it was sometimes really one-sided. I just want a proper rank mode...

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
MORE BOSSES please, also that secret mode that was censored at the end of the 8/8 direct.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
This is a bit of a stretch but, mod support? Or at the very least, user-made skins? I'd absolutely LOVE being able to easily swap out the alt costumes I don't like and replace them with ones I prefer instead. That way, I'd be able to swap out F!Robin's alts in favor of Hooded Robin alts. Getting my Wii U to support Smash mods was somewhat of a hassle. I only wanted uncensored characters!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Spirits and Online are the two things I want them to explain - and I'm sure both will be covered in the next Smash direct. For online, they really need to implement some kind of ranked system. I also saw someone suggest that Smash Ultimate should straight up rip off Splatoon's splatfests. I'd be down for that: have us fight over arbitrary stuff like taste in condiments, earning points for our side by winning battles (both via singles and doubles). It's something that could make the online feel more like a community.

When they discuss online, I also hope they explain what the default will be in For Glory (or whatever it's called this time). Omega forms? Battlefield forms? Hazardless? (probably not)

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
The blurred mode or Spirits Mode as everyone keeps calling it to be finally explained and hopefully a Story Mode similar or close to Subspace.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I want a nice Adventure mode. Even if we don't get a full Subspace Emissary, it was nice to have a nice little varied single-player mode and I still love the Mute City section.

I want more assist trophies. I like seeing my faves in any capacity. If the Elite Beat Agents for example are just assist trophies I'd still be ecstatic.

Heck, I want normal trophies! I love collecting those things. I remember when I got the EBA in Brawl and the Reporter & Wrestler in Smash 4 I was so excited.

I really want the return of custom Break The Targets stages. Having to learn how to be creative with those was great. It taught me so many character mechanics and were just fun. Same with Board The Platforms.

If anything, I just want more robust single-player modes. I like playing videogames alone.

More alternate costumes. We're getting there and echoes are also cool but I like cool stuff like Wireframe Little Mac or Classic Wario.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Uh, Final Destination and Battlefield are supposed to have normal traction.
Also considering the demand for regular traction, how are they going to design Summit's BF and FD forms?

By the way, I would like to add I also want a Greek Letter name for Battlefield Forms, or renaming Ω Forms to Final Destination Forms. Not both though.

Last edited:

RineYFD

Smash Journeyman
-Stage Builder with both a Brawl and Wii U variants(Basically you can swap between drawing or placing blocks and stuff like that with the d-pad), with elements from other games(Mario Pipes and Blocks, Zelda enemies, Final Fantasy VII summons, etc.)
-Spirits being a new Adventure mode with levels, enemies and other elements from actual Nintendo games instead of the original creations like in Subspace Emissary.
-Confirmation that fourth party characters can't be in Smash.
-All minigames from 64 and Melee return.
I don't have anything for online since I'm not paying for that crappy-ass service they have.

Last edited:

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
-Stage Builder with both a Brawl and Wii U variants(Basically you can swap between drawing or placing blocks and stuff like that with the d-pad), with elements from other games(Mario Pipes and Blocks, Zelda enemies, Final Fantasy VII summons, etc.)
-Spirits being a new Adventure mode with levels, enemies and other elements from actual Nintendo games instead of the original creations like in Subspace Emissary.
-Confirmation that fourth party characters can't be in Smash.
-All minigames from 64 and Melee return.
I don't have anything for online since I'm not paying for that crap-*** service they have.
Wow, you're a lot more ambitious in your requests then I am. I'm certainly not complaining, though, because I'd love all of these.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
-That Spirits/that blurred out green menu option is a story/adventure mode. When Smash 4 didn't have any sort of adventure mode, it just didn't feel right; made the game feel incomplete to me.

-Smash 64/Melee style Break the targets return. (Although with 70 plus fighters, I'm doubtful that this will return)

-Board the Platforms return (same as above)

-Race to the finish return. Now this could be doable, because the track was the same for everyone.

-A Stage builder that's similar to Brawl's, but of course heavily improved upon and more fleshed out.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Amiibo for assist trophies and Pokeball Pokemon. Could you imagine a Krystal, Knuckles, Zero, Klaptrap, Mother Brain, Lyn, Knuckle Joe, Mimikyu, Riki, etc. Yes the amiibo craze is damn near dead but what if Nintendo made a poll of which assist's/pokemon would like to see as an amiibo and like the top 10/15 got made as limited run edition amiibo and sold exclusively to Switch Online members ala the NES Controllers.
That online exclusively part is dumb but yes I agree

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I want to be able to use amiibo online, like a For Glory-type thing. Smash 4 had basically nothing to do with amiibo except train them, and even then they were the best use of amiibo that ever happened.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
Melee styled Adventure mode
Target Tests for each character.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice

Selecting either Leaderboards, Replay Channel, or Create takes player straight to the main menu for the selected mode.

Ranked
1 vs 1 -> join a Ranked 1 vs 1 set using the standard settings
2 vs 2 -> join a Ranked 2 vs 2 set using the standard settings
FFA -> join a Ranked Free For All set using standard settings
Tournament -> join Ranked "tournament of the month"
?# -> join a Ranked ?# set
(more on ?# later)

Casual
1 vs 1 -> join a Non-Ranked 1 vs 1 set using the standard settings
2 vs 2 -> join a Non-Ranked 2 vs 2 set using the standard settings
FFA -> join a Non-Ranked Free For All set using standard settings
Tournament -> join a Non-Ranked "tournament of the month"
?# -> join a Non-Ranked ?# set

Lobby
1 vs 1 -> open or join a 1 vs 1 Lobby using custom game settings. Non-Ranked. Spectators & Friends Allowed.
2 vs 2 -> open or join a 2 vs 2 Lobby using custom game settings. Non-Ranked, Spectators & Friends Allowed.
FFA -> open or join a Free For All Lobby using custom game settings. Non-Ranked, Spectators & Friends Allowed.
Tournament -> open or join a "tournament" lobby using custom or "tournament of the month" settings. Non-Ranked, Spectators & Friends Allowed.
?# -> open or join a Lobby using ?# settings

Unique options would apply when a mode is highlighted. For example. If the player has highlighted Home > Online > Lobby > 1 vs 1, they'd have such options as Y = Open New, X = Join. So if player presses Y, it sets it to Open New. From there player presses A to confirm and proceed to building a Lobby.

Create takes you to the root menu where players will begin customizing game rules. Create whatever game you want with the ability to change just about anything that impacts how the game plays. You could adjust gravity, knockback, add indestructible walls, set stock victor's health to return to 0% once stock is taken (Stock Rounds), set health limits per character (Bowser loses stock at 200%, Bayo loses stock at 115%, etc), set all characters to behave like Ryu ("always facing opponent"), character with greatest remaining health at t=0s wins stock round. With all of this, it plays a lot like a traditional 2D FG. ANYTHING goes!

When the player is finished, the game is posted online for other players to discover and experience. It is given the a UNIQUE identification code that appears as ?#111-222-333-444. This code encompasses the creator's signature and, more importantly, the everything about the game's rules that differentiates it from any other's. From there, NO ONE else can create a game that uses those exact rules. Players who attempt to finalize such a creation will be notified that their game already exists and that they can only JOIN a set or OPEN a lobby that adheres to that ID's rules.

So what is going on here is that you have all of these sort of HIDDEN custom game types floating all over the place. They've already been established. Not only that, ALL of them can be played under Ranked, Casual, or Lobby. A ?# ID (let's just call this a Game ID) could actually grow to become more popular and have more participants in its leaderboard than the Ranked 1 vs 1 that uses the standard settings! I wonder what kind of impact this could have on side tournaments... Hmm!

The ?#1 through ?#4 in the second column of image #3 basically represents FAVORITE Game IDs! Going back to those "unique options" that players would see depending on what's highlighted in mode menus, highlighting a ?# might give the following options:
R = Search Game IDs
Once results are displayed, you can sort by popularity, date of creation, friends, your creations, currently most active, etc. You can highlight a Game ID, Press _ to show Demonstration Video (something from Replay Channel runs to remind you of what this game is about), Press _ to Add To Favorites, etc.

Y = Join
X = Open New

So I hope the vision is clear with this. Basically you have your standard Fighting Game stuff for an online mode here, but it goes way beyond to thoroughly accommodate that kind of game customization that Smash generally allows for with what I'm talking about with Create and Game IDs. The thing I love most about this is that I feel it is an initiative to PROMOTE gameplay that is not of the standard rules. It is a way to get that stuff circulating in a major way, going as far as to be sure that even LEADERBOARDS can apply to any of them. Again, in the left column you have the standard stuff that Team Ultimate decided on. But on the right, you'd have the door to the FULL range of Smash Ultimate gameplay, and none of it is locked out from stuff like rankings, quick matches with randoms that aren't ranked, or friendly lobbies where spectating allowed.

~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~

From this point on, I'll just be adding "other" random concepts.

-full online match history (detailed) and player vs player stat cards
-set commitment
the idea that players understand they are expected to play out an entire set, whether it be a first to 1, 2, or 3. The default Ranked 1 vs 1 would be locked at Set Commitment On (best of 3). IF players leave before finishing the set, there would be consequences. I'm thinking there would be a reputation that is displayed on leaderboards, but there is also a gauge that impacts your point gain and loss. The higher the meter, the less you gain and more you lose. So keeping the gauge at 0% is how you get max points or take the min hit.
-attach comments to replays
I'd like to see a trend for the Replay Channel where players share their videos while asking for constructive criticism from anyone who'd view. Players can watch a replay, comment, and that will get back to the person who uploaded the video. Also, other players watching can view comments as they occur. For example. You may leave a comment at 4:28 where the player parried a jab but attempted to counter with a smash attack. This happened a few times leading up to 4:28. One of the viewers comments "Drop the habit of trying to counter with anything in those situations. Just escape the pressure". I don't know if this is true, by the way. I'm just giving an example.
-create exact highlight segments
More useful stuff for the Replay Channel. Simply pick your ranges. "5:07 to 5:01" or "3:07 to 2:15". Select "Attach To Replay". When anyone views the replay, they can press _ to RW/FF to next highlight. I'd want a lot of good playback options for replay viewing. I'd also like for players to be able to edit and save replays so that changes (add B&W at certain times, add slow-mo, fix a dramatic camera angle, etc.) stick for future viewings.[/SPOILER]
-tournament is the "Splatfest of Ultimate". Every two weeks (or maybe month), players would get to participate in a unique tournament that comes from the dev team. The Game ID is kept so players can re-experience this tournament at anytime, although not for ranking points and position on its leaderboard. And others have suggested this, but it would be cool to earn in-game prizes for this. Top

Home > Online > Ranked > Tournament #1
You will be tossed into a bracket of players who are of the same Experience Class (in Street Fighter V, for example, Bronze - Grand Master or whatever).
Your finishing position will get you x amount of points. You can keep playing as many times as you'd like being thrown into a new bracket each time. At the end of the two weeks or month, your total points will be calculated under some cool formula. Players will earn an Overall Tournament Ranking (goes up/down over time with participation/non-participation in these special tournaments over the years). Of course, each individual tournament will have a Final Standings leaderboard that can only be changed when the dev team shoots us an old Tournament Game ID (ex. we play Tournament #1's rules again next March).

Home > Online > Casual > Tournament #1
same as ranked, just not for points/leaderboard position/prizes

Home > Online > Lobby > Tournament #1
invite friends to participate with options to allow other players to join, even if only as spectators

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I've got one.
The ability to save alt preferences you your name so every time you turn on the game your favorite costume is automatically selected.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Just thought of something. I'd really like preset chat messages, like what Slap City does. It'd be easier to communicate with the other player(s), rather than having to go through your list of tags to pick one or even having to create a new one. It'll also help filter out all the salty/curse/mean tags.

Narr

AN ORB OF MANY TALENTS
NNID
LordChrom
3DS FC
1289-8310-9030
Switch FC
SW 8256 5756 1598
announce that the shield cross up bug is fixed so i can sleep at night

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Some information on customizations would be nice. It's now October, and we still don't have any real confirmation on whether or not the custom specials are gone. It would be very sad if they do get the boot, because their potential did exist in Smash 3DS / Wii U. The only problem was how you had to unlock them.

Also, customizations would take an even greater hit if the Mii outfits and Mii headgear end up being taken out as well.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Some information on customizations would be nice. It's now October, and we still don't have any real confirmation on whether or not the custom specials are gone. It would be very sad if they do get the boot, because their potential did exist in Smash 3DS / Wii U. The only problem was how you had to unlock them.

Also, customizations would take an even greater hit if the Mii outfits and Mii headgear end up being taken out as well.
This.

Palutnas new kit seems to imply they are gone, but I'm pretty sure that I've seen Miis use several of their specials from 4. Does this mean only Miis get customization?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Outside of the obvious story/adventure/spirits answer, I also want to see Smash Eun, Break the Targets (like in 64, melee, and brawl), Event Matches, and the online modes.

I know making 70+ different unique stages may be hard though.... an idea I thought of is that they could make multiple different stages or so and any character can be used on each (sorta like how smash 4's angry bombs [targets] mode had different levels), but ith the stages like melee's and brawl's and 64's instead of like 4.

I also wanna see some form of Pokefloats too, but that's unlikely.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I know making 70+ different unique stages may be hard though.... an idea I thought of is that they could make multiple different stages or so and any character can be used on each (sorta like how smash 4's angry bombs [targets] mode had different levels), but ith the stages like melee's and brawl's and 64's instead of like 4.
Um... what? It sounds like you're just describing how Brawl handled Target Test.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Um... what? It sounds like you're just describing how Brawl handled Target Test.
By the sounds of it, Brawl only had one stage, i'm talking about multiple stages. Never played any smash before smash 4 to be certain though, so I'll check

Character based ones are preferable anyway though, i'm only talking about if about 70 is too many.

Edit: Ok yeah Brawl did have multiple stages

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Improved For Glory
I enjoy For Glory. My only complaint is having to play on an omega stage all the time. I suspect Sakurai went for this because competitive players would play on flat stages. I'd just prefer if the stages were as is with the exception of items, hazards, walk-offs, and whatever else that isn't found currently in For Glory.

Spectating options
I'd prefer a spectate option that's like For Glory. I'm sure plenty of people have bet on someone in a 1v1, earned more gold for making the right decision, only to end up having to back out or bet on a player in a free-for-all or team battle. I just want to be able to bet gold in 1v1 without any interruption. There's the option of watching 1v1, but nothing is gained from it. At least if gold is on the line, it's worth watching.

Story mode
I suspect this "Spirits" mode is going to be a story mode. I think many people prefer something like Sub-Space Emissary. It doesn't have to be as massive as it was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but it'd be fun to play through. Believe it or not, Sakurai, but competitive players seem to have really enjoyed SSE.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else I'd like to be announced or come to fruition.

Last edited:
Top Bottom