• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things to practice by yourself with Falcon

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
Something I think needs to be hit on: Reverse Knee is not just useful because it sends them behind you (obviously) for uses of ledgehopping and other general purposes, but it also has the convenient side effect that your opponent is much more likely to DI it wrong and go careening as fast as possible in the direction that they weren't planning to go.

practicing empty hops into grabs and empty hops to waveland backward/forward is good to learn!

also, stop talking about air gentlemen...useless

BananaHammock

Smash Journeyman
You disagree?
Sorry, I don't see your point. I said that doing gentlemen into thin air is useless, and I still support that statement. It's in fact so useless that I never knew it was possible until reading this thread. Because I've never tried it...because it's useless. Tell me where I'm off...

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
no your right, if you know your not going to hit with it you shouldnt try to be doing the 3rd jab/rapid attack

battousai555

Smash Ace
Sorry, I don't see your point. I said that doing gentlemen into thin air is useless, and I still support that statement. It's in fact so useless that I never knew it was possible until reading this thread. Because I've never tried it...because it's useless. Tell me where I'm off...
Basically my point was that you should know how to cancel the gentleman when you don't hit anything in case you miss (I've been just out of range with it on the first two jabs, but then the third jab got me just close enough to hit body/shield). I know it shouldn't happen, but **** happens and you're less likely to get ***** if you cancel it.

Unrelated: isn't the "air gentleman" a gentleman to knee?

R00R

Smash Journeyman
I dont think that the moonwalk is not that important, but it looks super cool....... anyway, u need to make sure u can L-Cancel every move!!!! also, the Gentleman is a great thing to practice, but i think ur going 2 need a bot, cause only 1 man can do it with no one there, yah BOY Silent Spectre!!!!! Also, i know its going 2 sound stupid but practice combos on Bots. lol i know bots right, but 4 real get the feel for some combos, plus sum ppl dont even DI Right and maybe u can land some of those combos. (mainly vs Fox, and Falco, CF, Ganon, Bowser, and marth here and there for floaty practice)

Don't think that its not important? sooo are you saying it is? Moonwalking situationally is invaluable.

Comboing computers is stupid unless you understand computer's DI and why you are able to do stupid combos to them. LVL9's DI is actually good, but its just they always DI up. Its fun to abuse this, like doing repeat nair across FD on Foxes and ridiculous combos like that.

As far as things to practice. Just go to neutral stages and practice moving around the stage as fast and fancy as possible. BF and YS are great for this since the platforms are arranged in a way that makes it easy to move from one to the next with edge cancels and wave lands. I love Ledge cancling aerial raptor boost on all the BF platforms.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
gentlemans and running usmashes are pretty much the most difficult technical feats in the game. gentleman into a GRAB!?
get the **** out.
im not sure if your being sarcastic buuttt

ss does it, well he has done it

i did it to, vs doc

its pretty sexy

i got the vid on youtube if you wanna see

see the problem with internet sarcasm, hard to tell, too hard

Tomacawk

Smash Master
it's a mixture of sarcasm and truth. I'm technical as **** but I **** up gentlemans constantly and I **** up running usmashes lol
play me at a tourny so you know I'm not ******** >.>

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
ah i feel you

mogwai asked how do i gentlemen so well

i was like

a a a

and we laughed

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
SWD != SDWD. I can SWD pretty well.
And doing a gentleman with hitting nothing is hard as ****, Jona. Don't act like I'm ******** because you think you're amazing
Well in that case it's a sense of timing. Timing changes when hitstun is or isn't involved. I can do it easier when I'm not hitting something.

back to the thread:

In general, falcon isn't a tech character, he's a sexy character. I prefer not to practice tech things with falcon, 'cause that makes his play blocky, and really, not smooth. I just like to practice sex combos on a level 1 cpu, then go practice peach and falco.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
falcon is sort of techy, though. moonwalks, plat cancels, gentleman, running usmash, pivot nairs/tilt/fsmash, goofy wavelands -> stuff, bair->knee at high %'s on survival DI requires pretty strict frames, etc.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
\

In general, falcon isn't a tech character, he's a sexy character. I prefer not to practice tech things with falcon, 'cause that makes his play blocky, and really, not smooth. .
have you ever seen a ss video?

if thats not smooth then my life is a lie

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
how the hell can you practice being smooth?i practice stuff with cpus all day cuz i have nobody to play with, and im playing falcon very similar to falco...
You can definitely practice being smooth. Get wavelanding timing down perfectly (remember fastfalling gives you a better chance to perfect waveland). Waveland off multiple platforms is always fun.

Another really important method of being smooth is knowing exactly when you can dash out of stuff. Try gentleman to knee without letting Marth hit the ground, make sure you dthrow/upthrow upair, nair, knee asap dashing forwards AND backwards. Practice jabbing once then dashing the opposite direction, or kneeing something and dashing backwards without turning. Or wavedashing back to a dash backwards at the first possible frame. Other things like being able to shffl an aerial to turn around jab as fast as possible can save your life.

If you can on say battlefield waveland forward on top platform, fastfall -> waveland backwards, fastfall waveland backwards, to perfect turn around dash shffl that's pretty smooth imo :chuckle:

metashinryu

Smash Ace
You can definitely practice being smooth. Get wavelanding timing down perfectly (remember fastfalling gives you a better chance to perfect waveland). Waveland off multiple platforms is always fun.

Another really important method of being smooth is knowing exactly when you can dash out of stuff. Try gentleman to knee without letting Marth hit the ground, make sure you dthrow/upthrow upair, nair, knee asap dashing forwards AND backwards. Practice jabbing once then dashing the opposite direction, or kneeing something and dashing backwards without turning. Or wavedashing back to a dash backwards at the first possible frame. Other things like being able to shffl an aerial to turn around jab as fast as possible can save your life.

If you can on say battlefield waveland forward on top platform, fastfall -> waveland backwards, fastfall waveland backwards, to perfect turn around dash shffl that's pretty smooth imo :chuckle:
ok,i have 90% consystency on my gentlemen,i can gentleman to dash/knee/raptor boost/grab and the like,i practice on lv1 link(at 0%) uthrow shffled nair(before he reaches the ground,to perfect throw to stuff ASAP) to upair to knee,multinairing from at dthrow(at 0% also)on a lv1 marth.

im still practicing wavelands, you have any good way?

i got wavedashes to stuff very stiff,i will practice that.

im not very smooth,but i perfect stuff really fast,i will try those things you mentioned there,hoping my falcon gets as slick as some i have seen XD

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
ok,i have 90% consystency on my gentlemen,i can gentleman to dash/knee/raptor boost/grab and the like,i practice on lv1 link(at 0%) uthrow shffled nair(before he reaches the ground,to perfect throw to stuff ASAP) to upair to knee,multinairing from at dthrow(at 0% also)on a lv1 marth.

im still practicing wavelands, you have any good way?

i got wavedashes to stuff very stiff,i will practice that.

im not very smooth,but i perfect stuff really fast,i will try those things you mentioned there,hoping my falcon gets as slick as some i have seen XD
I just wavelanded a ton. It was after I messed around doing that ledgehop waveland backwards thing with Falcon (or any other character I played) that I really got the hang of it though. Like waiting on stocks or just messing around. Then I just evolved it to being on the stage too.

For doing the waveland platform thing, I feel it's easy once you can do what I said above. Only tricky thing is to remember to hold forward when wavelanding forward to fall off the platform.

Fastfalling gives you more frames in which to input L or R to still waveland (there is some post about this on the ganon boards I think it's the upair oos/waveland thread). But it's still tricky for me to fastfall each individual waveland on platforms to wavelands. I can only consistently do one platform to fastfall waveland then I sort of either get it or mess it up still.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Technically speaking, I can do almost every single thing in the game. What can I not do? SDWD. What else? GENTLEMAN WHEN IT HITS NOBODY
Get that garbage outta here
Can you short hop fast fall missile with samus?

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
Have you ever waveshined Fox or Falco (just two shines, thats all)? I've never seen this pulled off except with AR.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I can do it with sheik bigD, I'll try it with DK.
yes peef I can do that.
when I get new videos up you can see me doubleshine waveshine and combo it :)
I also can doubleshine->turn in 2nd one->wavedash to ledge
now I just need to actually place well at tournies :(

DrewB008

Smash Lord
ive done it with sheik too, i remember threads about thomas tipman doing it with dk but i never could get it

i wavedashed out of a shine to an up smash vs luigi last week in a real match, felt pretty cool about it

the thing about tech skill is that its not about what tricks you can pull off though, its about not missing l cancels, not missing jump canceled grabs, etc.

lots of people who talk about how good their tech skill is make a lot of mistakes when they are trying to do all that crazy stuff, and in the end that means their tech skill is not that good, and thats what keeps dudes from placing at tourneys

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yup, that's what impresses me about people like mango and pc chris. sure I can do a ****load more than they can but they don't get shield grabbed, ever and they never miss a waveshine ->usmash whereas sometimes i **** up a backwards waveshine
generally speaking though my tech is solid enough where I don't really make those mistakes and I play conservative in matches, people don't realize how technical I am because I don't really show off until in between stocks
IMO i have a good balance between useful tech skill and ability to do stupid ****

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Let those who accept their fate find happiness; let those who defy it find glory.

This is a beautiful statement

Truth

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I can do it with sheik bigD, I'll try it with DK.
yes peef I can do that.
when I get new videos up you can see me doubleshine waveshine and combo it :)
I also can doubleshine->turn in 2nd one->wavedash to ledge
now I just need to actually place well at tournies :(
I don't think you know how easy it really is to gentleman with nobody there. Really all you do is a a a and extend them to the max time imbetween each. I got it like second try.

Top Bottom