• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you hate to deal with on For Glory?

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I've started to begin all of my matches with a taunt, this tells the other player that I am at least somewhat willing to screw around. If the other player charges in and attacks, I think nothing of it and play on. If they taunt I squat a few times to say "ready now?" and charge in. This makes me play 100% more relaxed.

The only disrespect I feel is when someone switched to my main after beating me. For the record, I'm currently undefeated in DK dittos lol.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I've started to begin all of my matches with a taunt, this tells the other player that I am at least somewhat willing to screw around. If the other player charges in and attacks, I think nothing of it and play on. If they taunt I squat a few times to say "ready now?" and charge in. This makes me play 100% more relaxed.

The only disrespect I feel is when someone switched to my main after beating me. For the record, I'm currently undefeated in DK dittos lol.
I do that too, except with the crouches first then the taunts.

I would like to DK ditto you. Not expecting to win, but DK dittos go second to Mac dittos in the fun factor of life.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Palutena's "pole dancing" taunt really irritates me a lot. I mean seriously, it's even worse than Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl...
I love that taunt because her laugh tickles my soul.

:4palutena: Ehehehe~

When someone goes in deep offstage to spike you when there is no way you can get back on the stage in the first place.
I play Zelda. So of course I would do this. Especially if the person I am fighting is unusually tenacious or very annoying with rolling. Also, if they camp, taunt, or use "high tier characters." I use Dair with Palutena too. I like to think of it as practice since both of their Dairs aren't exactly easy to hit with.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Lazy counter-picking projectile characters.

AKA switching to a character that has a move that can reflect projectiles (or in Ness' case absorb them) when losing to characters like Robin, Toon Link or Bowser Jr. is disrespectful, lazy, and hilarious.

Seeing a person switch to Fox and use the reflector constantly is both sad and really funny. It's funnier when I land all of my projectiles anyway.
I had a match against someone who switched to :4palutena:after beating them with :4duckhunt:. The funny thing is I use his close range more since they are highly under-estimated and even when I did you the projectiles they spammed reflect,but did not reflect A SINGLE projectile.

I tend to dislike it when people change characters after winning as if to prevent you from learning the match up or get the runback. People who pick the character you are currently playing as (whether you won or lost the last match) in particular I find to be extremely disrespectful.
While that could be one of the reasons. I switch after winning sometimes just because I feel like switching.

Taunts on Self Destructs. Arrogant little pricks -_-
Yeah I know it is rubbing the salt into the open wound. Taunts are meant to celebrate a KO or victory not to celebrate doing nothing and to make fun of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
When a DK uses their down taunt, mad disrespect lol

Though it's still hilarious
You'd hate me then, i do that every time i get a meteor strike on you. And since i play for fun more than anything else i am constantly trying to land them, and i get them fairly often.

Only thing that pisses me off attitude-wise is when people two-stock you one game, then immediately suicide the next to "give you an advantage" - had a shulk do that to me when i was goofing around with characters i usually dont use, so i swapped to DK and pwned his cocky butt over and over and over lol

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Whenever anyone keeps me at a distance using projectiles. I know it's a legitimate method, but if you're doing it over and over again, I'll think mean thoughts about you.

For example; sometimes when I play Ganondorf, my opponent will switch to a more projectile heavy character. I'll usually continue to use Ganondorf, out of spite. It doesn't matter how slow he may be, you can't dwarf the 'Dorf.
Even if they are doing that to spam projectiles once you get close its all over for them.

Honest question here - do people in the smash community really find Taunting mid-match disrespectful? Some of them are pretty swarmy, yeah, but I've always used it as kind of a salute or recognition of another player's skill.
What do you mean by mid-match? At the beginning of a match it is a salute and when you KO or win a match it is a celebration rather then making fun of someone,but if someone double or triple taunts they are doing that to be disrespectful. It is also disrespectful to taunt after your opponent SDs.

'I'M REALLY FEELING IT' in For Glory. That makes me scream in the inside.
A healthy dose of "I'M REALLY FEELING IT" is fine for me,but if a player uses that taunt like every 3 seconds it also makes me want to scream inside. I personally love using the taunt once when I KO someone,but I don't do it any more than that.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Taunting when the opponent SD by accident or when they score a really really lucky KO; it reminds me the Lv. 5 and under CPUs who taunt when a similar situation happens.
Oh yea thats another thing that grinds my gears. They FINALLY kill you and they taunt it, and it wasnt even a meteor spike kill (which is always tauntable imo).
Faced against a few guys that i 2stocked multiple times in a row, i screw up and fall off the pit because i goofed my recovery or something, they taunt. That is not worthy of a taunt when its roughly 11-1 score lol.

Some people go absolutely bonkers over any taunt, for any reason. And i find it funny. Its a game....youre mad because a video game character made googly-eyes at you after beating your video game character? its warrented if out of context, like previous statement, but if it grinds your gears PERIOD then you need a chill pill....

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I love that taunt because her laugh tickles my soul.

:4palutena: Ehehehe~
[/quote]
We all know that taunt tickles more than just you soul. ;):smirk:

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
You'd hate me then, i do that every time i get a meteor strike on you. And since i play for fun more than anything else i am constantly trying to land them, and i get them fairly often.

Only thing that pisses me off attitude-wise is when people two-stock you one game, then immediately suicide the next to "give you an advantage" - had a shulk do that to me when i was goofing around with characters i usually dont use, so i swapped to DK and pwned his cocky butt over and over and over lol
That's actually them trying to be nice so you can have a fair fight (more than half the time). If they were really cocky, they'd be grab and aerial happy to annoy you; followed by meteor or 150%-200% KO.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
That's actually them trying to be nice so you can have a fair fight (more than half the time). If they were really cocky, they'd be grab and aerial happy to annoy you; followed by meteor or 150%-200% KO.
if they were trying to make it more fair for me, they wouldnt pick a character they can endless combo/dodge easily with and play like its a tournament AFTER said suicide to "give me an advantage" - if i utterly stomp someone i dont play DK/Dedede/Wario/Lucario against them, i pick characters i seldom play both for variety practice and it gives them a chance since i probably dont know what im doing.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
My 2 biggest gripes are

Taunting.

I find it incredibly disrespectful and usually after a match with someone who taunts me I drop out. Its discouraging when you get taunted. It can really affect you psychologically. There are rare cases when its okay like when you hit with a really impressive combo 0-death. but 0-death combos are pretty rare in smash 4.

Changing characters after every round or when you win.
I understand it can be boring playing the same character over and over but I find it disrespectful when people win with one character and switch to another. It feels overly arrogant. Personally when I play someone I stick with one character the entire time win or lose. and I expect the same from my opponent. it allows us to learn the our characters and that specific matchup.
I'm sorry if I offend you with this,but you seem to assume the worst when someone could be doing it for a completly different reason. People generally taunt to celebrate a KO or victory, not to make you feel bad. When people switch they usually do that because they are good with multiple characters, like me for example I main Marth but (Not trying to brag) I find myself to be good with most of the character in the game.

When people quit after the first match because I beat them with little Mac.
That is not disrespectful they are just tired of fighting Little Mac for the 800th time in the same hour.

Here are my thoughts on some rather disrespectful Sm4sh behaviors...
Taunts Used At Inappropriate Times

By that, I don't mean taunting after a well-earned, stylish KO, especially if it ends the match. I'd taunt too, to be honest. I'm talking about taunting because of a Self Destruct or a freak accident. I mean...you aren't the above party if you did little to nothing about KOing someone.
Players Switching Into a Lackluster Little Mac/Powerful Character After Losing

I've been getting this more and more, and it really is annoying me. I want to fight the other character, not your Day 1 Little Mac that Dash Attacks, F-Tilts, and Smashes all day, nor do I want to play against your Day 1 Greninja that spams Side B and D-Air. I want fun fights, not ones where it is easily visible that the player uses someone that has been considered powerful in an attempt to win.

"One-Track Mind" Players

By this, I mean any player that does something over and over and over again. I understand the phrase "If it isn't broke, don't fix it;" however, if such tactics are missing a bunch and hitting me only a few times, and one is using it as a "pray it hits" method, it just makes the battle really unpleasant.

That's what is on the top of my mind. I'll likely find more of these habits later.
I have made a few posts on other threads saying basically the same thing. Most players on FG just play to win and don't actually care about getting better at the game, so they just take the easy route and use characters like :4greninja::4littlemac::4lucario::4sonic::4tlink::4zss:etc. to get easy wins online. Whats sad about it is that it your win ratio doesn't even really show how good you are, it just shows you win a lot in online. Win ratio doesn't tell us how good you would do in a tournament against high level players.

When someone goes in deep offstage to spike you when there is no way you can get back on the stage in the first place.
I only attempt that when I know it is my only chance of winning and that I will definitely die after the opponent.

I only thing I actually find disrespectful is when a player chooses the same character I play as after beating me a bunch of times. It's like they're saying "You're so bad I can beat you as your main too!" Grinds my gears lol.

Taunting doesn't bother me like it used to because everyone does it. But I mostly play as Little Mac so taunting after a successful gimp bothers me a bit. I mean...it's Little Mac. Any bit of knockback after he's already off stage is pretty much a stock. Not hard at all.
Whats funny is when I am using Marth and they switch to him to try to disrespect they get bodied since they usually have no idea what they are doing with them. I think people taunt when they gimp your Little Mac cause they just hate fighting him online,so they just feel satisfied watching them die, or maybe that is just me.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
We all know that taunt tickles more than just you soul. ;):smirk:. God dammit I tried to fix this post by editing it and just made it worse...Oh well.
Same taunt animation. Replace Palutena with Captain Falcon. Have him say "coooome oooon" suggestively. Then it would jiggle my pudding.

wow that actually sounds worse than anything else I could have said.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
Oh, hey - someone else from the Tampa area! I'm in Valrico.

I find this interesting. In a game where the players can't really communicate, taunting (and 'gesturing' like ducking or trotting) are basically the only means I have of interacting with my opponent that aren't bashing them over the head. If I go even with my opponent after several matches, or they make a really impressive play, I'll usually taunt... and I'm always happy when they taunt me back. For me, it's not about psyching them out - it's a sign of recognition for the other player's skill.

It's kind of like honking your horn while driving; if you do it lightly at an intersection where you get there at the same time as someone, it can be a polite or courteous gesture. Do the same thing at a stoplight when it just turned green... and you're an *******. I think it can be polite or incredibly rude depending entirely on context.

This one I kind of understand, but not everyone plays one main all the time. When I queue, it's generally to work on a single character, but I've fought sets that went 10 matches where my opponent never played the same character twice. I just assumed they were trying out new characters or streaming and taking requests or whatever. Similarly, if I find someone that I enjoy sparring with and we're on our 5th or 6th match, I might swap just to keep things interesting for both of us - especially if they swapped first. What about sets like this?
I agree with this. If I'm playing with a person for a long time, I like to taunt to show them that I'm having fun playing that person. Also I always switch characters. Not because I want to match up with another character, but because I want to show a range of characters that I like to use. It wouldn't be as fun if I didn't keep my opponent guessing lol.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
:4charizard:+:GCR::GCB:x =

Seriously though, stop doing that people. It's sad enough to watch in a 1 on 1, but doing that in a 2 on 2 For Glory match? Seriously?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Same taunt animation. Replace Palutena with Captain Falcon. Have him say "coooome oooon" suggestively. Then it would jiggle my pudding.

wow that actually sounds worse than anything else I could have said.
"Jiggle my pudding" I see what you did there ;)

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
taunt
1. To reproach in a mocking, insulting, or contemptuous manner.

Now I'm not one to copy and paste dictionary definitions, but the amount of people getting salty about TAUNTS is astounding. Like seriously. The default reason for taunts is to make fun of people. However, there are four reasons people taunt:
1. "Wow that was incredible!"
2. Indicate they want to screw around
3. "Wow you suck"/"Nice fail"
4. Code of Honor- example: Show me your moves

Taunts are our only way to communicate online. I assure you that 95% of people who taunt after their kill/your SD are NOT trying to disrespect you/send you into a rage and are simply doing it for fun.

Last edited:

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
I think I only get mad when a person suicides after you take their first stock. I just played a match yesterday against a DeDeDe player. I took his first stock relatively fast. After he respawned, he just jumped off the stage. It's like why even play online if you aren't gonna try? I'm a Lucina main and I learn from my losses and try to improve. It's a waste of time if you're just gonna suicide without trying to fight.

Ohzma

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5448-8974
When they don't play for real, then as soon as they take a stock all they do is t-bag and taunt.

Thapple

Smash Rookie
I am a rather chill guy, but when I get taunted by Pikachu in Melee... A part of me dies.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I assure you that 95% of people who taunt after their kill/your SD are NOT trying to disrespect you/send you into a rage and are simply doing it for fun.
This. The only time you can see it as rubbing salt in your face is when somebody is playing extremely cheaply against you.

People who play the higher tier (aka easier to use/win with) characters seem to taunt religiously. Even if you obviously died by a mistake you did. They're the ones who taunt to rustle jimmies. It doesn't really work on me. Especially if they use easy mode characters. lol winning isn't my life.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I think there is almost no real way of being disrespectful in Sm4sh. Taunts are taunts, nothing more. A bit of bragging and smack-talking (if you can say that taunts are smack talk) should be part of any competitive game (imho). It just adds to the spirit of the game and shows that you are not playing CPUs.
Switching characters has been considered here... well I lol'd. You have no idea why people switch their characters, and even if they do switch to 'your' main after you got beaten, how could that be disrespectful? As if they'd think you're not worthy of your character or what? Maybe they just want some ditto fun or even like that character themselves. Even if they go through all 49 characters to show you that they can beat you with any of them - if they succeed, well, they are right. Being better than someone is not harmful to anyones personal feelings (at least it should not if you are grown-up). Should they in fact lose then, well, no reason to be butthurt at all.
Suiciding after you got wooped / self destructed should be seen as trying to even the odds. If you do not need this 'help' you'll show them shortly after and there should be no offense taken. If you still cannot beat them then they are better than you and to me it is in their right to show off. For me this is just motivation to work harder on my skills instead of claiming the other one to be rude. Some players also enjoy a close 1 Stock - 1 Stock situation more than a 2 - 1 advantage.
Suiciding after you take their first stock happens because they don't want to play that match up / you / whatever. You cannot pick your opponents or veto certain characters when you play online, so this happens. If they think it's time to move on, let it be that way, I'll have my next opponent in 10 seconds.
Spamming certain moves is not disrespectful either, but predictable and therefore ineffective. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no move in the game that flat out wins you the game if you spam it over and over. Therefore spamming a move either makes someone bad or smart (in case they use hit and run tactics with projectiles to rack up damage). I feel harmed neither by a playstyle that shows a player is bad nor one that stresses that they use the advantages they might have.

The only way I could possibly think of is not playing at all / instantly leaving, if it is done with the intention of showing the opponent 'No, I do not want to play you!'. But how could I tell and how many of these situations have you witnessed yet?

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
I think there is almost no real way of being disrespectful in Sm4sh. Taunts are taunts, nothing more. A bit of bragging and smack-talking (if you can say that taunts are smack talk) should be part of any competitive game (imho). It just adds to the spirit of the game and shows that you are not playing CPUs.
Switching characters has been considered here... well I lol'd. You have no idea why people switch their characters, and even if they do switch to 'your' main after you got beaten, how could that be disrespectful? As if they'd think you're not worthy of your character or what? Maybe they just want some ditto fun or even like that character themselves. Even if they go through all 49 characters to show you that they can beat you with any of them - if they succeed, well, they are right. Being better than someone is not harmful to anyones personal feelings (at least it should not if you are grown-up). Should they in fact lose then, well, no reason to be butthurt at all.
Suiciding after you got wooped / self destructed should be seen as trying to even the odds. If you do not need this 'help' you'll show them shortly after and there should be no offense taken. If you still cannot beat them then they are better than you and to me it is in their right to show off. For me this is just motivation to work harder on my skills instead of claiming the other one to be rude. Some players also enjoy a close 1 Stock - 1 Stock situation more than a 2 - 1 advantage.
Suiciding after you take their first stock happens because they don't want to play that match up / you / whatever. You cannot pick your opponents or veto certain characters when you play online, so this happens. If they think it's time to move on, let it be that way, I'll have my next opponent in 10 seconds.
Spamming certain moves is not disrespectful either, but predictable and therefore ineffective. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no move in the game that flat out wins you the game if you spam it over and over. Therefore spamming a move either makes someone bad or smart (in case they use hit and run tactics with projectiles to rack up damage). I feel harmed neither by a playstyle that shows a player is bad nor one that stresses that they use the advantages they might have.

The only way I could possibly think of is not playing at all / instantly leaving, if it is done with the intention of showing the opponent 'No, I do not want to play you!'. But how could I tell and how many of these situations have you witnessed yet?
Taunting or as you put, Bragging and Smack-talking, can be entertaining but is still disrespectful. you should respect your fellow player and not demean them before or after a match.
Changing characters mid match can go both ways. The only reason see that its okay to change characters is if you lose a few times as the character you were trying out. then its okay to bring out your main. Toying with them with your alts or characters your just playing for fun is like spitting in their face and saying, "Man I can beat your best character with this joke character, lol!" Its an overwhelming amount of arrogance that makes me sick to my stomach. but what really bothers me is when you win and change character. your opponent deserves a rematch.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Taunting or as you put, Bragging and Smack-talking, can be entertaining but is still disrespectful. you should respect your fellow player and not demean them before or after a match.
Changing characters mid match can go both ways. The only reason see that its okay to change characters is if you lose a few times as the character you were trying out. then its okay to bring out your main. Toying with them with your alts or characters your just playing for fun is like spitting in their face and saying, "Man I can beat your best character with this joke character, lol!" Its an overwhelming amount of arrogance that makes me sick to my stomach. but what really bothers me is when you win and change character. your opponent deserves a rematch.
If the overwhelming amount of arrogance still manages to beat you with a joke of a character you should feel bad about yourself and not feel offended. Being better than others even with 'weaker' characters and playing those match ups is no crime. I also like the fact that you interpret such harmful thoughts into a non-verbal act.
Also, in Smash no one deserves anything. You neither have the right to demand certain characters nor to demand a rematch if the opponent doesn't feel like. Feel happy that opponents keep playing you even if you are no challenge to them, but don't despise them because they won't.

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Not taunting me after KOing me. What? I wasn't worth any sort of celebration whatsoever?

Using a generic, blank looking self-based Mii against my Miis. At least humor me when engaging in an exhibition of creativity :(

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Most things to me are ok as it's just a game.
But . . .
Taunting after an SD or a lucky KO on a low % enemy player feels just arrogant to me.

I think taunting is taken differently in different regions. In Japan it's supposedly taken very seriously. Here in Australia it's not so serious at all. If you do it here or not, it's not really cared or not cared for.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
>The match begins
>Player 2 taunts
>I proceed to taunt as well, since I assume the opponent is saying "hi" or something with the taunt
>The ****** attacks when I am taunting

Whoever does this deserves the worst :p

NuthingDude

Smash Cadet
>The match begins
>Player 2 taunts
>I proceed to taunt as well, since I assume the opponent is saying "hi" or something with the taunt
>The ****er attacks when I am taunting

Whoever does this deserves the worst :p
When someone taunts I always wait until their done and then continue the fight.;)

Disrespectful? footstooling on this guy --->:4littlemac: I always laugh when that happens..
oh and people who only use "Top tier" characters (I literally guessed which character they were going to choose) and then leave if they with all of them lose...

D

Deleted member 245254

I don't anything disrespectful in terms of utilizing a game mechanic or move to win, or even taunting.

What I do, however, find disrespectful is when you get in a match that is generally okay lag-wise, then all the sudden you get deabilitating slow motion...usually I go to the edge farthest from my opponent and crouch. I don't expect my opponent to always catch the drift but I find it really sleezy when my opponent keeps approaching me guns blazing during a horrible instance of stuttering.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Not that you're right or wrong, but if there is a match up that just isn't fun for me and I barely end up winning, I'll switch characters to help me better deal with their play style. Ganondorf against sheik or ZSS isn't that fun for me regardless of wether or not I win, so they'll see my mario or falcon if they choose to stay

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Well I made this thread to have people talk about what makes them feel :salt:in a match.
Well IMO things people get salty over aren't the same as disrespectful actions. For example, playing x character you don't like 20 times isn't disrespectful, neither is picking a ditto matchup really. Sometimes some people just wanna ditto. I've had my share of Falcon dittos and wouldn't mind more of it since melee vs melee is fun.

Taunt's are pretty contextual, but in general I don't see taunts as disrespectful, they've been in the game since 64 and since after you kill an opponent you can't go moonwalking or wavedashing everywhere to keep your hands warmed up I don't see why you can't taunt.

Crouch spamming however, is disrespectful. It doesn't get me salty though; probably because 99% of the time when a player does it I end up spanking them anyways and if they stay for more matches I usually do it back to them 10-fold because I will be a douche online if you start it :]

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
How exactly is crouch spamming disrespectful?

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
I get a tad more aggressive when my opponent using one of the more common characters proceeds to taunt. It's not much but it's something.

Makes it all the more satisfying to myself once I get the jump on them and show that I'm really feeling it.

Top Bottom