• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things that you hate to deal with on For Glory?

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Honest question here - do people in the smash community really find Taunting mid-match disrespectful? Some of them are pretty swarmy, yeah, but I've always used it as kind of a salute or recognition of another player's skill.
I don't find taunting annoying. As a Falcon main, it's the best part of the game.

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty glad that I naturally do about 90% of this

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Taunting when the opponent SD by accident or when they score a really really lucky KO; it reminds me the Lv. 5 and under CPUs who taunt when a similar situation happens.

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
Taunting. People would taunt me to suck their **** if it was possible. I blame kids, tho

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
My 2 biggest gripes are

Taunting.

I find it incredibly disrespectful and usually after a match with someone who taunts me I drop out. Its discouraging when you get taunted. It can really affect you psychologically. There are rare cases when its okay like when you hit with a really impressive combo 0-death. but 0-death combos are pretty rare in smash 4.

Changing characters after every round or when you win.
I understand it can be boring playing the same character over and over but I find it disrespectful when people win with one character and switch to another. It feels overly arrogant. Personally when I play someone I stick with one character the entire time win or lose. and I expect the same from my opponent. it allows us to learn the our characters and that specific matchup.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Palutena's "pole dancing" taunt really irritates me a lot. I mean seriously, it's even worse than Janet Jackson's wardrobe malfunction at the Super Bowl...

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I hate when a player uses the exact same strategy all the time also. As if they're not even trying to fight you. As if you're basically fighting a CPU. Diddy Kong's Level 9 CPU just spams peanuts and fsmash/usmash with lots of rolls. I go onto For Glory today, and played a Fox player, who while decent, wasn't very enjoyable to play. All they did was begin the matches spamming neutral B, then they'd roll away from me and go for jabs and forward and up smashes. They hardly did ANYTHING ELSE. Sounds awwwwwwfully similar to a CPU's behavior...

Last edited:

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
People picking :4littlemac: right after losing a For Glory match as a different character. I feel like the player is just trying to imply that I don't know how to deal with him and can get an easy win against me with him, and a lot of the time they just leave after losing as him. Whether the player actually thinks :4littlemac: is "overpowered" or can be just used as a way to test a player's lack of skill, the intentions come from a negative view directed towards the opponent.

It should be noted that I don't mean to imply that EVERYONE picking :4littlemac: is like that; I'm directing it towards those that suddenly pick him out of nowhere and just start flailing around without any true knowledge of how to play him.

That, and people charging smashes as if I'm going to run straight into them.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
My 2 biggest gripes are

Taunting.

I find it incredibly disrespectful and usually after a match with someone who taunts me I drop out. Its discouraging when you get taunted. It can really affect you psychologically. There are rare cases when its okay like when you hit with a really impressive combo 0-death. but 0-death combos are pretty rare in smash 4.

I understand it can be boring playing the same character over and over but I find it disrespectful when people win with one character and switch to another. It feels overly arrogant. Personally when I play someone I stick with one character the entire time win or lose. and I expect the same from my opponent. it allows us to learn the our characters and that specific matchup.
You're free to think whatever you want and I can't really say that you're wrong for doing so but I'd just like to say that the reason you gave for why you find Taunting annoying is the exact reason why I do it. Every time I taunt I'm hoping that the other person gets mad because I like to play a more defensive bait-and-counter game with most of my characters. I can't tell whether or not it's working, but it also gives me that extra boost in confidence because I just automatically assume that it is

i change characters a lot against other people, whether or I win or lose. There's a lot of thoughts that I could be thinking but it's not always an arrogance thing.

"Ok I'm bored, I'll change characters now"
"Ok so that's how well I performed with that character, now how will I perform with this one?"
"Maybe this character will be a better/funner match up"
"He plays a certain way and it would be really funny if I counter him with this certain character's move"

some people just want to have fun with all their characters and aren't really concerned with mastering that specific match up. I'm telling you this part just so you know that they actually might have a good reason to change characters and aren't trying to be disrespectful. 456

Tyril132

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tyril132
3DS FC
4957-3662-2945
Oh, hey - someone else from the Tampa area! I'm in Valrico.

Taunting.
I find this interesting. In a game where the players can't really communicate, taunting (and 'gesturing' like ducking or trotting) are basically the only means I have of interacting with my opponent that aren't bashing them over the head. If I go even with my opponent after several matches, or they make a really impressive play, I'll usually taunt... and I'm always happy when they taunt me back. For me, it's not about psyching them out - it's a sign of recognition for the other player's skill.

It's kind of like honking your horn while driving; if you do it lightly at an intersection where you get there at the same time as someone, it can be a polite or courteous gesture. Do the same thing at a stoplight when it just turned green... and you're an asshole. I think it can be polite or incredibly rude depending entirely on context.

This one I kind of understand, but not everyone plays one main all the time. When I queue, it's generally to work on a single character, but I've fought sets that went 10 matches where my opponent never played the same character twice. I just assumed they were trying out new characters or streaming and taking requests or whatever. Similarly, if I find someone that I enjoy sparring with and we're on our 5th or 6th match, I might swap just to keep things interesting for both of us - especially if they swapped first. What about sets like this?

Last edited:

Niala

Smash Ace
Taunting after every kill. It's not really disrespectful, I just don't get it. If you killed me when I'm at 120% with something like Dthrow>Uair it's not like you had to outplay me to do it, you just used a standard kill combo that your character has. I only taunt when I feel like I genuinely outplayed my opponent for a kill-- hitting a Falcon Punch or a hot n spicy spike. It invalidates the concept just using it all the time.

TheGingerRussian

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheGingerRussian
3DS FC
1504-5955-1641
Taunting is very situational to me depending on the character.

For example, as Dr. Mario, I always do the small shoulder punch taunt if someone taunts me at the beginning of a match. I also do it if they get a particularly good KO on me.

What gets to me is people that continue to try and fight through a large lag spike. I am clear as day crouching and keeping away from them, and not trying to attack them in slightest, yet they still see it as an opportunity to get in some cheap hits.

Last edited:

XPyromanicX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eazy5Flash
3DS FC
0344-9812-7584
I hate when a player uses the exact same strategy all the time also. As if they're not even trying to fight you. As if you're basically fighting a CPU. Diddy Kong's Level 9 CPU just spams peanuts and fsmash/usmash with lots of rolls. I go onto For Glory today, and played a Fox player, who while decent, wasn't very enjoyable to play. All they did was begin the matches spamming neutral B, then they'd roll away from me and go for jabs and forward and up smashes. They hardly did ANYTHING ELSE. Sounds awwwwwwfully similar to a CPU's behavior...
I agree about the CPU thing. I hate fighting level 9 Falco because he likes to sit back and fire lasers.

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
I do a rotation of 3 characters. Doesn't matter who joins or not, whether I win or not, I use those 3 characters. The reason being, I don't know who I want to play as the most yet. I don't know for sure who I want to main. Sure, I could go to practice/VS and try a few, I could message my friends and ask to hop on, but I don't necessarily get the full experience unless I play several people with different playstyles. Maybe I'm in the minority there, but that's just my $.02

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
In For Glory, I tend to get mad when my opponent kills himself because he gives up. It bothers me because, if one does that, it'll stunt their growth as a player. Personally, I believe if one bodies me in a match, I take it as an opportunity to learn despite how salty I may get at times.

I also dislike it when my opponent doesn't even try to play seriously anymore. When they don't even try to fight at all, no aggro, no zoning. I may not mind losing, but if one wastes my time like that, when I could be playing someone good right now....of course I'll be a bit miffed.

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
i change characters a lot against other people, whether or I win or lose. There's a lot of thoughts that I could be thinking but it's not always an arrogance thing.

"Ok I'm bored, I'll change characters now"
"Ok so that's how well I performed with that character, now how will I perform with this one?"
"Maybe this character will be a better/funner match up"
"He plays a certain way and it would be really funny if I counter him with this certain character's move"

some people just want to have fun with all their characters and aren't really concerned with mastering that specific match up. I'm telling you this part just so you know that they actually might have a good reason to change characters and aren't trying to be disrespectful. 456
Well I'm a bit of a pessimist and I can take offence to all of those things.
The one that really grinds my gears is "He plays a certain way and it would be really funny if I counter him with this certain character's move". That is SOOOOO disrespectful IMO. I get that counterpicks exist in competitive play but that doesn't mean they're respectable. The fact that you have to pick my weakness is like, dude wtf?
Every Match-up can be won, its just certain match-ups are a bit harder to win.

Oh, hey - someone else from the Tampa area! I'm in Valrico.

I find this interesting. In a game where the players can't really communicate, taunting (and 'gesturing' like ducking or trotting) are basically the only means I have of interacting with my opponent that aren't bashing them over the head. If I go even with my opponent after several matches, or they make a really impressive play, I'll usually taunt... and I'm always happy when they taunt me back. For me, it's not about psyching them out - it's a sign of recognition for the other player's skill.

It's kind of like honking your horn while driving; if you do it lightly at an intersection where you get there at the same time as someone, it can be a polite or courteous gesture. Do the same thing at a stoplight when it just turned green... and you're an *******. I think it can be polite or incredibly rude depending entirely on context.

This one I kind of understand, but not everyone plays one main all the time. When I queue, it's generally to work on a single character, but I've fought sets that went 10 matches where my opponent never played the same character twice. I just assumed they were trying out new characters or streaming and taking requests or whatever. Similarly, if I find someone that I enjoy sparring with and we're on our 5th or 6th match, I might swap just to keep things interesting for both of us - especially if they swapped first. What about sets like this?
I can respect that you do it as a sign of recognition of the other players skill.
But Like you said when you were relating this to honking while driving. It can be either polite or incredibly rude. and I hate to be that guy but 90% of the time its rude. At least that is how it feels to me.

I do a rotation of 3 characters. Doesn't matter who joins or not, whether I win or not, I use those 3 characters. The reason being, I don't know who I want to play as the most yet. I don't know for sure who I want to main. Sure, I could go to practice/VS and try a few, I could message my friends and ask to hop on, but I don't necessarily get the full experience unless I play several people with different playstyles. Maybe I'm in the minority there, but that's just my $.02
Well the game is still early I can completely understand that most people don't even know who they want to main yet. but If you really wanna test out a character you have to keep using them over and over and find out all their strengths and weaknesses. but switching over and over, I feel you've never really get a grip on what your character excels out, since every match you have the chance of losing some new knowledge your learned. because now you're worrying about a new character rather then the character you currently playing as

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm a bit of a pessimist and I can take offence to all of those things.
The one that really grinds my gears is "He plays a certain way and it would be really funny if I counter him with this certain character's move". That is SOOOOO disrespectful IMO. I get that counterpicks exist in competitive play but that doesn't mean they respectable. The fact that you have to pick my weakness is like, dude wtf?
Every Match-up can be won, its just certain match-ups are a bit harder to win.
Yea I can definitely see where you're coming from. The act of choosing a character solely because your character is weak against it, can be pretty annoying. But it isn't inherently disrespectful. In the end, since you can't really tell the meaning and intent behind what the other player does, it all depends on what you want to consider disrespectful or not. Either way works fine, but as someone who sometimes let himself fly off the handle and rage at video games for hours, having a positive outlook is more fun.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
It's disrespectful imo when a player taunts the other for a kill they didn't earn (when one person accidentally SDs and the other taunts)

Also, I hate it when players grab you and just hang on to you for longer than a second, doing nothing before tossing me.
That's usually happens to me when I grab someone, I do the input it doesn't register so I have to do it again

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
What's truly evil is using Falcon's uptilt to knock someone down off the map when they're trying to recover, especially when they're at a low percentage. Add a taunt after for extra flair.
I love doing that it's such smooth spike, it's truly beautiful

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I only taunt people when they taunt me. I know how annoying it is to be taunted because of Peach's victory screen taunts in Melee. So if I take a stock off someone first, I won't taunt them. If they take one off me and then taunt, then I take it back and taunt back.

When I'm playing most characters, that is. When I use DK (mah secondareh), I taunt literally mid-stock. I'll be in the middle of a string or playing in neutral. uptaunt (the chest-pounding one). It's the only one I use. I'll literally stop running at my opponent just to taunt. I'll taunt right as I recover. I'll taunt the moment I land after taking a hit. It doesn't matter when, DK taunts are the funnest thing ever. Though I imagine it right pisses my opponents off. Especially when I win, which I usually do :denzel:

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
Here are my thoughts on some rather disrespectful Sm4sh behaviors...

Taunts Used At Inappropriate Times

By that, I don't mean taunting after a well-earned, stylish KO, especially if it ends the match. I'd taunt too, to be honest. I'm talking about taunting because of a Self Destruct or a freak accident. I mean...you aren't the above party if you did little to nothing about KOing someone.

Players Switching Into a Lackluster Little Mac/Powerful Character After Losing

I've been getting this more and more, and it really is annoying me. I want to fight the other character, not your Day 1 Little Mac that Dash Attacks, F-Tilts, and Smashes all day, nor do I want to play against your Day 1 Greninja that spams Side B and D-Air. I want fun fights, not ones where it is easily visible that the player uses someone that has been considered powerful in an attempt to win.

"One-Track Mind" Players

By this, I mean any player that does something over and over and over again. I understand the phrase "If it isn't broke, don't fix it;" however, if such tactics are missing a bunch and hitting me only a few times, and one is using it as a "pray it hits" method, it just makes the battle really unpleasant.

That's what is on the top of my mind. I'll likely find more of these habits later.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Also, I hate it when players grab you and just hang on to you for longer than a second, doing nothing before tossing me.
When I grab someone, I could be repeatedly pushing the control stick in a direction, but it just kind of does nothing for a second. So it's like an awkward stare-off between the two characters :p I don't know why it happens, but I don't think people do it on purpose.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I find Sandbagging not only disrespectful, but also a waste of time.

I also find breathing during a smash match to be very offensive. :b:

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Stupid early % kills.

Like footstooling LOL

Daxter

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DaxterD
3DS FC
1289-9356-8058
Due to my low self-esteem, taunting really badly affects me in game. That goes for repeatedly crouching or taunting each time I'm launched too. It might be the fault of other games where taunting really does mean someone is telling you how bad you are, like Team Fortress 2/Left 4 Dead 2. Doing a Bowser Side-B off course when you're about to win is a real pain too.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
I only thing I actually find disrespectful is when a player chooses the same character I play as after beating me a bunch of times. It's like they're saying "You're so bad I can beat you as your main too!" Grinds my gears lol.

Taunting doesn't bother me like it used to because everyone does it. But I mostly play as Little Mac so taunting after a successful gimp bothers me a bit. I mean...it's Little Mac. Any bit of knockback after he's already off stage is pretty much a stock. Not hard at all.

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
When people quit after the first match because I beat them with little Mac.

Morbi

Scavenger
Usually, if I am in a disrespecting mood, I will use Sing a couple of times if I am behind and do not want to try and mount a come-back. Or if I get an early lead I "Scrooge" and just run away from the opponent for a time-out.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
taunts are just taunts. you guys think too much.
well said... the amount of overreacting I see in this thread at them is actually really funny and I don't mean that to be condescending.

Severn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1478-4772-7152
When someone goes in deep offstage to spike you when there is no way you can get back on the stage in the first place.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
When I grab someone, I could be repeatedly pushing the control stick in a direction, but it just kind of does nothing for a second. So it's like an awkward stare-off between the two characters :p I don't know why it happens, but I don't think people do it on purpose.
Haha, I can get that.
There's just a certain vibe that makes me feel like some cases are on purpose, but it's really no big deal in the end considering it's just a game after all. :D

Top Bottom