• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There Is One They Fear: Dragonborn Shouts Them Down!

Have you played Skyrim?

• Yes

Votes: 90 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Skooma

Votes: 34 22.7%

• Total voters

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
~~~

"In their tongue, he is Dovahkiin..."

"Dragonborn!"

~~~​
The Dragonborn is the protagonist of the popular Open World RPG, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Born with the blood and soul of a dragon, The Dragonborn can learn and speak the ancient and powerful tongue of the Dov (Dragon), called the Thu'um (Shout). The very words of a dragon can tear apart whole cities and armies. This power is also under The Dragonborn's command. Such words are paired in three, called Words of Power. An example is Fus-Ro-Dah, or Force Balance Push. Using the three words together empowers the Shout, making it more effective.
~~~

"Skyrim legend tells of a hero known as the Dragonborn, a warrior with the body of a mortal and soul of a dragon, whose destiny it is to destroy the evil dragon Alduin."
~~~

Why should The Dragonborn be playable?

The Dragonborn is the protagonist of one of the biggest games around- Skyrim. There's a reason why its been milked hard by Bethesda. I'd also argue that Elder Scrolls is one of the biggest series in the history of gaming. So popularity alone justifies The Dragonborn's inclusion. But another reason I would like to address is the partnership of Nintendo and Bethesda, in which is a very good relationship at the moment, with the Skyrim Switch getting its own features with Amiibo. If such a partnership lasts, I could easily see Nintendo put Bethesda representation in Smash- possibly in the form of The Dragonborn- of the first Bethesda game released for the Switch.

What makes The Dragonborn a unique character versus the other warrior types of Super Smash Bros?

The Dragonborn is a mixed variety. Understand that there is more than one Dragonborn. But the one I speak of, otherwise known as The Last Dragonborn, is a customizable protagonist. You can customize and play him/her however you like. Axes, warhammers, even magic- its a lot wider than you'd imagine. So The Dragonborn is easily the most versitile character out of them all. That's not even mentioning his signature Thu'um ability. In short- The Dragonborn can easily identify as his own character while showing very little resemblance to the other warriors, like Link, Ike- even Robin.

What would The Dragonborn's gameplay be like?

There's no way the Thu'um would be passed up. That's like having Mario without his Super Jump. So that would be predictable in his move set. As for how The Dragonborn would actually play? It'd depend on how they'd handle it, as there's a lot of possibilities. My guess, and near expectation, is a Jack of all trades style- utilizing a Batman-rivaling assortment of weapons and magic, such as axes, bows, hammers, and destructive (or even restorative) spells. With the addition of Shouts, naturally.
~~~

"Dovahkiin, dovahkiin
naal ok zin los vahriin
wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal!
ahrk fin norok paal graan
fod nust hon zindro zaan
dovahkiin, fah hin kogaan mu draal!"
-The Dragonborn Comes

~~~

Dragonborn Data
Thanks to fusroyay20 fusroyay20 for bringing this to my attention.

Thanks to AustarusIV AustarusIV for creating these.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I have full-on support for the Dovahkiin to be in Smash Bros! I've done a little thinking for a moveset and here it is!:

Unique mechanic: Dual Wielding: If the player holds A before the attack is used, Dovahkiin will use two of the same thing. Some attacks don’t use this mechanic, however.

Jab: Sword swing, sword swing, shield bash.

Side tilt: Battle axe swing

Up tilt: Uses a Novice destruction spell above him. Flame burns, Frostbite freezes and Sparks electrocutes. Hold A to dual cast.

Down tilt: Casts a rune on the ground in front of him which detonates when a fighter is nearby. Cycles between Fire, Ice and Lightning with each use. Hold A to double the damage on planting the rune.

Dash attack: Downwards war axe swing. Hold A to hit with two war axes at once.

N-air: Swings a greatsword around himself

F-air: Shoots an arrow in front of him.

D-air: Smashes underneath himself with a warhammer. Hits above himself, but said hit is weaker.

B-air: Swishes a dagger behind him. Hold A to hit three times with two daggers.

U-air: Swings a mace over his head. Hold A to hit with two maces at once.

Edge attack: Stabs with a dagger. Hold A to stab twice with two daggers.

Side smash: A dual wielding stamina attack with two swords.

Up smash: Swings a warhammer over himself.

Down smash: Casts a either Fire Storm or Blizzard. Fire Storm acts as a sort of explosion-type attack while Blizzard hits multiple times and freezes.

Grab: A normal grab.

Pummel: Hits them over the head with the hilt of his sword.

F-throw: Uses the first word in Unrelenting Force to push them away.

D-throw: Dovahkiin casts either Firebolt, Ice Spike or Lightning Bolt. These spells cycle in between them.

B-throw: Turns the opponent behind him and slashes them with a greatsword.

U-throw: Smacks them upward with a warhammer.

Neutral B: Dragon Shout: Before the stage is selected, and if all player have selected a character and any amount of them has selected Dovahkiin, those player(s) will be treated to a separate roster of different Dragon Shouts for them to choose as their Neutral B before going to the stage select. These different Shouts are:

• Unrelenting Force: Dovahkiin uses the infamous Fus Ro Dah. It doesn’t do much damage, but has immense knockback, similarly to Cloud’s Finishing Touch.

• Elemental Fury: Dovahkiin’s attacks are momentarily increased in speed.

• Cyclone: Dovahkiin shoots a tornado in front of him that is a weaker version of the tornadoes in Hyrule Castle 64.

• Fire Breath: Dovahkiin fires a giant burst of flames in front of him, causing high fire damage.

• Drain Vitality: Dovahkiin’s shout damages both the opponent(s) hit and himself. However, this weakens the opponents' next attack and strengthens Dovahkiin’s next attack.

• Marked For Death: Any opponents hit by this shout are Marked, making them suffer damage over time and make them susceptible to knockback.

• Frost Breath: Decreases their speed on hit.

• Ice Form: Freezes the opponent.

• Slow Time: This increases Dovahkiin’s movement speed and has a chance to temporarily slow down the opponent’s time, similarly to Bayonetta’s Witch Time.

• Storm Call: Creates a storm around him that causes electrical damage and has a windbox.

• Dragon Aspect: An extremely powerful Dragon Shout that isn’t in the Shout Roster. Instead, this shout has a very rare chance to appear in place of the one chosen. This increases Dovahkiin’s attack and defense, as well as increased Shout effect and decreased charge time of the shout chosen.
Side B: Expert Destruction Magic: Dovahkiin shoots either Thunderbolt, Icy Spear or Incinerate. Thunderbolt does electrical damage, Incinerate shoots a fireball that does fire damage and Icy Spear freezes on contact and decreases movement speed after thawing. These spells cycle in between them. Hold the B button to dual cast and increase its effect.

Up B: Whirlwind Sprint: The only other Dragon Shout besides Dragon Aspect to not be a part of the Shout roster. In this, the Dovahkiin will use the shout in the direction the joystick is facing.

Down B: Deadly Poison: Dovahkiin laces his weapons with poison. The next attack that uses a weapon and hits will inflict a damage over time effect for 8 seconds. This effect will wear off after a while.

Final Smash: Dragon Attack: Dovahkiin uses Call Dragon, then uses Bend Will on a Legendary Dragon that arrives, with Dovahkiin riding on it. The dragon will bite using A, and use Fire Breath, Frost Breath or Drain Vitality using B.

Final Overview: Dovahkiin truly lives up to his name as the Hero of Skyrim. His Dual Wielding mechanic is useful for racking up damage easily, whether it be with weapons or spells. His Dragon Shouts also are powerful, giving himself an advantage and his opponents a disadvantage based on the Shout used in battle. His Dragon Aspect is especially powerful, making him a juggernaut on use. The magic in his moveset is also quite powerful, whether it be burning with fire, freezing with ice and stunning with lightning. His Whirlwind Sprint covers immense distance, and can be used in any direction. His weapons can increased in power even further with his Down B, Deadly Poison, which can rack up loads of damage. His Dragon Attack is also a force to be reckoned with, with shouts more powerful than the character himself, as well as a powerful bite attack. But alas, even the Legendary Dragon Slayer of Tamriel is not unstoppable. For example, using Dual Wielding increases his start-up and recovery frames. His two handed weapons especially have crazy start-up and recovery despite their immense damage. Also, his Deadly Poisons don't last forever if a weapon doesn't hit. Another thing to point out is that his Dragon Shouts need to charge after use, and he can only use one Shout per battle. His Dragon Aspect is also extremely rare, about double as rare as finding Mew in a PokeBall. His Marked for Death shout and Deadly Poison can also cancel one another out if one is applied and the other hits. But despite his flaws, Dovahkiin is a great powerhouse that would take the power in his dragon's blood and soul to Smash!

I'm happily open for feedback and improvements if anyone has any! :D

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Not bad, bud. I'll go ahead and make a moveset later tonight.

Also I see I was tired enough to add Skooma as an option to the poll.

The inner Khajiit burns brightly within me at night.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Not bad, bud. I'll go ahead and make a moveset later tonight.

Also I see I was tired enough to add Skooma as an option to the poll.

The inner Khajiit burns brightly within me at night.
Thanks for the feed back! Smash Bros or Sovngarde, my friend!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I can get behind this. Smash needs a western third-party character.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The Dragonborn is a jack of all trades fighter, utilizing a variety of weapons and magic. In normal play, he usually dual weilds a Steel War Axe with a Steel Dagger. However, he will also use certain weapons, like a Steel Warhammer for heavy damage, Frost spells for range, and his signature Shouts for great effects.

Before we begin, let's talk about the Dragon's Blood Bar, or DB bar. This is the light blue bar next to The Dragonborn's icon in battle which identifies how many Words of a Shout he may use. When you Shout, this three segment bar depletes depending on the number of Words you use. You also cannot use more words then you have segments of the bar. In order to regain a segment, you must either suffer a Smash attack, hit an enemy with your own Smash attack, or Meditate, which is a Special I will explain later.
~~~
(A) Combo: a brutish combo swing, starting with a swing of the axe, a stab of the dagger, and then a cross swing of both weapons
-
(A) Dash: The Dragonborn brings out a Banded Iron Shield and charges down enemies, bashing them away and being protected in the front- an excellent answer to projectiles, depending on their power.
-
~Side Attacks
(A)→: A thrust attack using a Steel Great sword that can hit enemies from afar. Poke them.
(A) ↓: Using the Ice Spike spell, fires a blast of ice in line of eyesight. The attack is slow, but easily trips enemies as well as dealing good damage.
(A) ↑: The Dragonborn charges an Ice Spike and fires it upwards. This is a slow, knockbackless attack. However, hitting enemies stops them cold, preventing movement momentarily.
-
~Sky Attacks
(A): The Dragonborn performs a spin, using the Frost Cloak spell to becomes a chilly tornado. This hits all foes around him.
(A)→: Swings his Steel War Axe forward quickly, knocking enemies away.
(A) ↓: Brings out the Steel Greatsword and spin drops straight downwards, dragging enemies with him until blasting them with a frosty explosion when hitting the ground.
(A) ↑: Uses his Long Bow to fire an arrow upwards. This can snipe higher enemies, dealing small damage but knocks back better if used up close.
(A)←: Swings backwards with the Steel War Axe quickly, knocking enemies away.
-
~Smash Attacks
(A)→: The Dragonborn charges up a power attack using a Steel Warhammer. Similar to King Dedede's Smash attack graphically, but knocks enemies more forward. The resulting crash of the hammer creates an icy blast that increases the AOE of the attack. Enemies take way less damage and knockback from the icy blast, however.
(A)↓: Charges up the Steel Warhammer, then activates Frost Cloak and spins, moving forward slightly and hitting enemies multiple times before launching them. Enemies behind this attack can be dragged into it if too close.
(A)^: Charges up the Master Level Destruction Spell, Blizzard, and once released, slams both fists into the ground and is then surrounded by a cold wind that strikes like a spear above The Dragonborn. The highest peak of the attack has a sweet spot that deals more damage if it connects.
-
~Special Attacks
(B): Unrelenting Force: The Dragonborn speaks the Words of Power- Fus, To and the Dah- to push enemies very far, depending on how many words were used in a shout. The attack itself projects a blue sonic wave that looks like fire. Enemies hit are blown away. Weight affects distance launched.

One Word: Doesn't knock enemies off their feet, and only pushes them slightly. Deals no damage.

Two Words: Still doesn't knock enemies off their feet, but pushes them further away, and deals a little bit of damage.

Three Words: With all three words combined, this attack sweeps enemies off their feet, knocks them further away, and deals a little more damage. This can potentially kill at lower percentages.
-
(B)→: Battlecry: The Dragonborn's racial ability, Battlecry. This can knock nearby enemies away with a vicious roar, but the best part is that it casts a Fear debuff on those enemies, making them deal less damage. Despite not being a Shout, this uses one segment of the DB Bar.
-
(B)^: Whirlwind Sprint: A gust of wind speeds The Dragonborn's way. This is his recovery. It is very fast, and the end of this attack has a sweetspot that sends enemies flying. He can go any direction, and when using this attack, he slows down so he can charge the shout. After using this in the air, The Dragonborn is not rendered helpless, allowing him to protect himself in the air.

One Word: A pitiful leap equivalent to a third jump. This is the more unique shout it that it doesn't cost a segment of the DB. This is to ensure The Dragonborn has a recovery of some form. The sweetspot does not exist in this phase.

Two Words: a more impressive, but rivaled, leap with the sweetspot. The wind around The Dragonborn blows nearby enemies away.

Three Words: This leap goes the same distance, but instead of regular wind, The Dragonborn is now cloaked in frost, dragging enemies along with him, and then are forced into the Sweetspot, which they are then launched.
-
(B)↓: Meditate: This Special does not consume a segment of DB. Instead, it replenishes it. Hold the (B) button to recover a segment. This can take a total of three seconds- a second per segment. The Dragonborn can't protect themselves and are vulnerable in this state, so use wisely.
-
~Final Smash: Call Dragon~
The Dragonborn stomps the ground in line of sight, creating an icy quake that freezes enemies hit, then in a small cut scene, raises both his Steel War Axe and Steel Dagger into the darkening sky and summons Odahviing the Dragon by Shouting its name. Odahviing then proceeds to fly at fast speeds towards The Dragonborn, crashing through the enemies hit. The Dragonborn then leaps up and onto Odahviing and they then fly back around, hitting those same enemies again, sending them flying to certain death. The Dragonborn then hops off, and Odahviing flies off into the sunset.
-
~Taunts
↑: The Dragonborn brings out a mug of ale, drinks it up, then chuckles.
→: The Dragonborn raises both weapons into the sky and yells, "For Skyrim!"
↓: The Dragonborn points with a frosty hand, and says either, "You think can beat ME?" or "Nords NEVER back down!"
-
Victory/Defeat Poses
Victory 1: The Dragonborn dusts himself off, shakes his head, and says either, "I've fought worse than you." or "Another victory."
Victory 2: The Dragonborn performs a series of attacks with his dual weapons, ending with a fully charged Unrelenting Force Shout.
Victory 3 (very rare): The Dragonborn takes an arrow out of his knee, groans, then turns to the player with an unamused face. This will only occur if he fought Link or Toon Link, and even then its not guaranteed.
Defeat Pose: Mug in hand, in good spirits, The Dragonborn cheers the victor on.
I may edit this in the future.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
With how much Nintendo and Bethesda have been pushing the Switch version of Skyrim, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dragonborn in Smash. Supported!

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
To make it clear- I am still very into the idea of the Dragonborn as a playable character. However, the lack of discussion on the matter has made this thread very quiet- much like my Quote Support Thread- another character whom I'd like to see playable.

I would like to say that this thread is very much open to discussions of not just the Dragonborn himself, but possible home stages, music, assist trophies, items- this place is and has been open for discussions. Just keep them civil is all.

I may post some other things at a later time as I'm a very busy Breton. You guys have a good day, yeah?

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
Y'know, I was thinking, and...
This is the official best Kirby. When I saved it, I called it "Fuish Ru Dah" because that's definitely what (He? She? It?) would sound like. You've had my support since Skyrim for Switch was announced!

Oh fine, here's a stage too...
I would want Whiterun, but Jorrvaskr seems like a real stage to me. Plus, Jorrvaskr is in Whiterun anyway, and I want to launch Nazeem like in the Flat Zone 2's Cook stage.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yoooooooo, someone finally made a Dragonborn thread? I was thinking of making one for a while since nobody got around to doing it when I was last here. :p

dragonborn-character-ui-8player.png

I made these mockups of what Dragonborn's SSB4 character UIs would look like back when I was thinking of making a support thread. Since the game's finally been released on the Switch, I feel it's a good time to post them here.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Y'know, I was thinking, and...
This is the official best Kirby. When I saved it, I called it "Fuish Ru Dah" because that's definitely what (He? She? It?) would sound like. You've had my support since Skyrim for Switch was announced!
Yo that's awesome! Adding that to the OP under Kirby Transformation. The only thing I would add is the beard. Bearded Kirby is always a pleasure. :troll:

Also I too want to hear Kirby Shout. That'd be hilarious. This little cute pink guy speaking the language of dragons. :4kirby:
and I want to launch Nazeem like in the Flat Zone 2's Cook stage.
You got your priorities straight I see.
Yoooooooo, someone finally made a Dragonborn thread? I was thinking of making one for a while since nobody got around to doing it when I was last here. :p
You better believe it. I am a huge fan of TES in general and I really want to see this crossover happen, not just for the sake of the Dragonborn being playable, but to take Nintendo and Bethesda's partnership even further.
View attachment 133916

I made these mockups of what Dragonborn's SSB4 character UIs would look like back when I was thinking of making a support thread. Since the game's finally been released on the Switch, I feel it's a good time to post them here.
Oh my god, you made these? Awesome! Mind if I add these to the OP under Dragonborn UIs? You will be credited of course.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah you can add them to the OP. Don’t see why I would have to refuse lol.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Yeah you can add them to the OP. Don’t see why I would have to refuse lol.
I was just checking to make sure. But still- you did a good job.

When it comes down to a stage for the Dragonborn, the first and obvious thing would be that the stage originates from Skyrim. I can think of a lot of stage options, mainly due to how expansive Skyrim is, but I agree with the majority I think Whiterun would be the best option, as it is the most prominent hold of Skyrim, being involved with the majority of the quest lines. It also is the first hold you visit- assuming if you're following the story quest line long enough.

Another stage area I would agree with is Helgan. Its the first hold you visit no matter what (unless you're using mods) but gets destroyed by Alduin. It could be a stage in which is still under attack, and the Imperials are fighting the dragon in the background.

The last one I'll bring up is High Hrothgar, the monastery near the peak of The Throat Of The World. This place is very important to the questline as well. And a snow stage would be cool, IMO.

A touring stage would be nice, too.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
I was just checking to make sure. But still- you did a good job.

When it comes down to a stage for the Dragonborn, the first and obvious thing would be that the stage originates from Skyrim. I can think of a lot of stage options, mainly due to how expansive Skyrim is, but I agree with the majority I think Whiterun would be the best option, as it is the most prominent hold of Skyrim, being involved with the majority of the quest lines. It also is the first hold you visit- assuming if you're following the story quest line long enough.

Another stage area I would agree with is Helgan. Its the first hold you visit no matter what (unless you're using mods) but gets destroyed by Alduin. It could be a stage in which is still under attack, and the Imperials are fighting the dragon in the background.

The last one I'll bring up is High Hrothgar, the monastery near the peak of The Throat Of The World. This place is very important to the questline as well. And a snow stage would be cool, IMO.

A touring stage would be nice, too.
Okay, for one thing, Helgan isn't a hold capital, it's in Falkreath. Also, I just started Brawl modding, and heres a to do list:

Bearded DovahKirby
Dovahkiin Moveset
Dovahkiin Model
Jorrvaskr Stage
Helgen Stage
Throat of the World Stage
Nazeem Mario?
Nazeem Kirby?
Alduin Ridley
"The Dragonborn Comes" and instrumental
Title Theme (Skyrim)
TES Title Medley
SSB III: Skyrim (Mix of Brawl's theme and the Skyrim title theme
Cold Winds (Custom TOTW theme, incorporates some of skyrim's wilderness themes)
Fuish... Ru Dah!
Sovngarde's Theme

D

Deleted member

Not to be rude to the OP, but I would absolutely hate this.

I can get behind this. Smash needs a western third-party character.
Banjo-Kazooie, and Doomguy are much better, more fitting options.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie

Banjo-Kazooie, and Doomguy are much better, more fitting options.
Doomguy? Nah, Sole Survivor from Fallout. Well, the other protagonists too. Also, B-K is good too. Unlikely, but good.

D

Deleted member

Doomguy? Nah, Sole Survivor from Fallout. Well, the other protagonists too. Also, B-K is good too. Unlikely, but good.
I'd say he's about as likely as the Dragonborn, Fallout Guy, Minecraft Steve, Doomguy, or Rayman tbh. Especially considering how much of a buzz he generated during the ballot. Out of all the western 3rd party chars, I'd say Banjo and Rayman have the best shot imo. But that's a different story. I personally don't think we'll be seeing a 5th game in the same vein as Smash 4.

The idea of the Dragonborn in Smash definitely does not sit well with me at all though. Doomguy I can tolerate, because of the legacy in gaming history. But the Dragonborn just rubs me the wrong way in every way possible.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
I'd say he's about as likely as the Dragonborn, Fallout Guy, Minecraft Steve, Doomguy, or Rayman tbh. Especially considering how much of a buzz he generated during the ballot. Out of all the western 3rd party chars, I'd say Banjo and Rayman have the best shot imo. But that's a different story. I personally don't think we'll be seeing a 5th game in the same vein as Smash 4.

The idea of the Dragonborn in Smash definitely does not sit well with me at all though. Doomguy I can tolerate, because of the legacy in gaming history. But the Dragonborn just rubs me the wrong way in every way possible.
The Dragonborn is just the most popular TES character. He also has MILLIONS of moveset opportunities. Doomguy, personally, wouldn't really have as many moveset ideas. Besides, the way they fit depends on how the game is. Brawl-dark? Perfect! SSB4-light? Dragonborn could make it, but maybe not DG.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Okay, for one thing, Helgan isn't a hold capital, it's in Falkreath.
Oh this is gonna bug me all day. Lol... ;(

But still- I believe Helgan would make sense as a stage.
Not a big deal. Skyrim is a very overmilked game and people have had enough of its overall presence. I'm sure you have your reasons, but if I myself were to add any reasons not to have him playable its be to stop the Skyrim spam. That being said, there's no better TES representative, nor Beth representative (I don't think Doomguy would count as a Beth rep, feel free to correct me), that's on the Switch currently. TES is one of my most favorite game series of all time, and is the major reason why I heavily support his inclusion. The fresh yet strong partnership between Ninty and Beth is why I believe it is a very good possibility to see a rep from them.
Well in the comparison between Doomguy and The Dragonborn, that's not even a fair fight. Doomguy is a video game legend in himself, much like Mario, Sonic and Ryu are, where as The Dragonborn is a protag of one of The Elder Scrolls games, which the series itself is huge, but not as big as Doom.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Doomguy as a playable character either. And to be honest? I believe its very well possible both could make an appearance. Stranger things have happened. :4cloud:

D

Deleted member

Oh this is gonna bug me all day. Lol... ;(

But still- I believe Helgan would make sense as a stage.

Not a big deal. Skyrim is a very overmilked game and people have had enough of its overall presence. I'm sure you have your reasons, but if I myself were to add any reasons not to have him playable its be to stop the Skyrim spam. That being said, there's no better TES representative, nor Beth representative (I don't think Doomguy would count as a Beth rep, feel free to correct me), that's on the Switch currently. TES is one of my most favorite game series of all time, and is the major reason why I heavily support his inclusion. The fresh yet strong partnership between Ninty and Beth is why I believe it is a very good possibility to see a rep from them.

Well in the comparison between Doomguy and The Dragonborn, that's not even a fair fight. Doomguy is a video game legend in himself, much like Mario, Sonic and Ryu are, where as The Dragonborn is a protag of one of The Elder Scrolls games, which the series itself is huge, but not as big as Doom.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Doomguy as a playable character either. And to be honest? I believe its very well possible both could make an appearance. Stranger things have happened. :4cloud:
Well, technically, Id Soft is owned by Bethesda iirc, and thus, they own the rights to the Doom, Wolfenstein, and Quake IPs. Considering how legendary Doom is, I'd say if a character out of that partnership were to bloom, it'd be Doomguy for sure.

The Dragonborn is just the most popular TES character. He also has MILLIONS of moveset opportunities. Doomguy, personally, wouldn't really have as many moveset ideas. Besides, the way they fit depends on how the game is. Brawl-dark? Perfect! SSB4-light? Dragonborn could make it, but maybe not DG.
It's an FPS game, thus, his arsenal would be nothing but guns, grenades, rockets, and his chainsaw.

For example, his UpB could be Rocket Jump, which is an FPS trope at this point (fire an RPG toward the ground, and the recoil pushes you up). He could use his shotgun primarily, etc... He'd be heavy and slow, rely on grapples for close range, etc... Snake is a good example of what you could do with this sort of character.

Funny enough, I actually designed a character and moveset for a character that's a hybrid between Doomguy and Snake for Tiger Square. It's a different style fighting game, yeah, but it's got similarities to Smash, so it's doable.

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
I broke my Brawl by messing with Sonic. Luckily, it isn't a disc, but I did buy it before...

Wait... That has nothing to do with the thread. I have made a little progress on the mod, but not much.

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
Nah... as much as I like Skyrim a Dragonborn being in smash might cause the game to randomly crash for no explainable reason..

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I wouldn't mind the Dovahkiin being playable. If the "Last Dragonborn" were playable, I would like for a variety of Elder Scrolls content to show up. In addition to Skyrim, I like to see some Morrowind, Daggerfall, Oblivion, and Arena content. Maybe Sheogorath and Uriel Septim VII as a trophy or hearing the Main Theme of ES 4: Oblivion.

Well, technically, Id Soft is owned by Bethesda iirc, and thus, they own the rights to the Doom, Wolfenstein, and Quake IPs. Considering how legendary Doom is, I'd say if a character out of that partnership were to bloom, it'd be Doomguy for sure.
Apologies for the minor nitpick, but the more accurate version of that would be that Bethesda holds the publishing rights to the Id Software IPs since Bethesda Softworks owner, Zenimax Media, owns ID Software. Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, and Elder Scrolls are all likely candidates for Smash out of the sister companies' IPs.

ProspectorWeejus

Smash Rookie
Ever since Skyrim was announced for the Switch, I will stand by my (incredibly biased) belief that the Dragonborn is perfect for the next Smash Bros. He/she is one of gaming's most recognizable protagonists within recent memory, not to mention that he/she brings the Thu'um to distinguish themselves from anybody else.

Despite Skyrim's blatant overadvertising and ports that definitely overstay their welcome, which I can understand are the main reasons why people are turned off by the idea of the Dragonborn in Smash, I still think that the Dragonborn has enough recognizability, appeal, and is iconic enough to at least have a shot.

In fact, I apologize for the plug here but I made an entire Google doc full of ideas for the Dragonborn if he/she were in Smash. Just to try to convince those against the idea to at least warm up to it a little.

I pray that the Elder Scrolls foretell the Dragonborn's appearance in the next Smash title!

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Ever since Skyrim was announced for the Switch, I will stand by my (incredibly biased) belief that the Dragonborn is perfect for the next Smash Bros. He/she is one of gaming's most recognizable protagonists within recent memory, not to mention that he/she brings the Thu'um to distinguish himself from anybody else.

Despite Skyrim's blatant overadvertising and ports that definitely overstay their welcome, which I can understand are the main reasons why people are turned off by the idea of the Dragonborn in Smash, I still think that the Dragonborn has enough recognizability, appeal, and is iconic enough to at least have a shot.

In fact, I apologize for the plug here but I made an entire Google doc full of ideas for the Dragonborn if he/she were in Smash. Just to try to convince those against the idea to at least warm up to it a little.

I pray that the Elder Scrolls foretell the Dragonborn's appearance in the next Smash title!
That looks like a pretty good moveset! Far better than the one I made!

I never thought of using Dragonrend as a spike shout! And I lol’d at the Throw Voice taunt! Genius!

fusroyay20

Smash Rookie
Ever since Skyrim was announced for the Switch, I will stand by my (incredibly biased) belief that the Dragonborn is perfect for the next Smash Bros. He/she is one of gaming's most recognizable protagonists within recent memory, not to mention that he/she brings the Thu'um to distinguish themselves from anybody else.

Read the doc. It sounds AWESOME!

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
For appearance/other "colors" I'd be interested if they pulled a sort of Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings gag, where each different color gets the player a different race/outfit that corresponds with major elements/factions of the game. You got your iconic Nord barbarian default, maybe a mage-themed outfit with Dunmer, Thieves' Guild armor and Kajiit, Dark Brotherhood suit and Argonian. Heck, why not a set Daedric armor too?

AncientArk

Smash Apprentice
This strikes me as one of those dream/impossible characters despite the sudden interest Bethesda has in Nintendo Hardware.
I'd love Dovahkiin to be playable if just to hear Kirby say Fus-Ro-Dah, because you know it'd be cute as hell.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Greetings.

Well guys, the day has finally come- the Smash Switch trailer has been unveiled, which means its time to see if the dream becomes a reality.

According to the small CG trailer, the Inklings (Male and Female) are confirmed to be newcomers to the roster. We also have some shadows of what appears to be Mario from Odyssey and Link for BotW.

The game is confirmed to be released sometime in 2018, but I am very certain that it will be delayed.

Either way- the wait is on. Stay hopeful to your desired characters, and keep it very firm in mind that not everyone you want will be in the game.

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I had a thought. Because Charles Martinet (the voice actor for Mario and others) also does the voice of Paarthunax in Skyrim, I can see a reveal trailer for Dragonborn being narrated by Charles M. as Paarthunax, in a similar vein as Doc narrating for Little Mac last time around.

A note on "Sword Saturation". For all intents and purposes, it's just a hitbox extended from the character. A sword or weapon or lack thereof doesn't factor as much into a character's playstyle as other aspects. What is their movement and weight like? Do some of their standard moves have unique characteristics? Most importantly I think: What are their special moves like? The Dragonborn has a unique edge here with Dragon Shouts that I feel would make this a good choice for Smash. The fact that there's probably a sword involved just means there's a sword.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I didn't realize this was here and I stupidly made a new thread. Mods, please close the other one.

I did have a bunch of ideas for representation for everything from just a trophy to a playable Dovahkiin. Reported below. Here are some ideas for things that could be used in Smash. Links go to the main UESP pages for each topic to avoid inflating bandwidth too much.

The most obvious would be a simple trophy based on the Dragonborn’s wallpaper art in the image above. Some others could include Alduin atop a Word Wall, the shrine of Azura, or a Shrine to Talos.

Assuming Miis return and bring the ability to change their costumes, the standard Dovahkiin kit could be used for a Mii swordfighter. After all, the Xbox avatars already have a costume so it wouldn’t be a stretch to see it as a Mii fighter outfit.

Assuming Smash Run, or some adventure mode, returns, the Draugr would make excellent generic enemies as the blue-eyed ice zombies of Skyrim. Other smaller, yet common, enemies could include the Dwarven Spider or sphere automatons or Frostbite Spiders, the first creatures fought in game.

A Boss mode could also use Alduin. Besides, any current dracoform bosses should finally be made playable, so that fighting style will need to be refilled. Alduin could use his special Dragon Storm Call shout which calls a meteor storm.

The most impressive point in Skyrim is the Throat of the World, the tallest mountain in Skyrim, and where the Charles-Martinet-voiced dragon Paarthurnax is found, along with the Zelda equipment in a chest in the Switch version. The stage could be set similarly to the Summit or Spear Pillar stages in Brawl, with a few platforms jutting out on the mountain peak. Periodically, dragons could fly by, or even engage in battle. The stage could also allow time to flow, similarly to the Battlefield stage in Sm4sh, and allow impressive auroras to form in the night sky.

Dragonsreach is the keep in the first major city visited in the game, assuming players follow a linear path. This keep also includes a massive exterior porch, where the dragon Odahviing is captured in game. Stage hazards here could of course include the dragon, who flies in and is captured and shoots a gout of flame at the screen similar to Lugia’s Aeroblast. Play could also occur above the keep, showing off the beauty of the city of Whiterun.

Another important location in game is the Sky Haven Temple, fortress of the Blades. The Blades use an eastern aesthetic in their armor and architecture, and the temple offers several platforms on which to fight. Also, the stage could transition like the Castle Siege stage in Brawl to show off the interior, which includes Alduin’s Wall, the overarching prophecy of the series thus far.

Of course, the music for these stages could come from the game itself. The Main theme is undeniably impressive, and would fit nicely on any of the above stages. Watch the Skies is another amazing piece that plays while fighting a dragon, and comes with that incredible fighting spirit.

It’s extremely unlikely that the player character would even be considered as a playable Smasher, but it certainly is fun to consider.

As Skyrim allows for full character customization and full choice on armor (and their associated questlines), it would be most interesting for the various costumes to reference each in some way. The various costumes could be:

· The default Dragonborn in his iconic outfit, as shown in the wallpaper.
· A female in steel armor, like Lydia
· A male in Stormcloak gear, like Ralof
· A female in Imperial armor, like Legate Rikke
· A male Thieves Guild member, like Brynjolf
· A female Dark Brotherhood assassin, like Astrid
· A male Greybeard, like the one on the loading screen
· A female College of Winterhold mage, like the loading screen

Different costumes could also change the race of the player, giving Redguard Alik’r Warriors, High Elf Thalmor, or Orcs. The looks of fan-favorite styles like Aela or Serana (yes, those two are fan favorites for a reason) could also be used.

Kirby hat: The Dragonborn’s iconic helmet. (Pictire him with this and shouting...I wish I could draw fanart...)

To avoid being too similar to a standard sword style in Smash already, Dovahkiin could use hammerspace to pull out different weapons for attacks. For the default, a longsword and a dagger in the off hand would be default, but the off hand could switch out for a staff, a shield, or any other weapon as needed.

Dovahkiin can crawl (uses sneaking animation)

Neutral: a simple sword slash, followed by a dagger thrust.
Ftilt: Equips a shield and does a shield bash.
Utilt: A simple uppercut without a weapon.
Dtilt: Stabs low with dagger.
Dash: Equips a battleaxe and makes a large vertical swipe
Fsmash: Equips a bow and shoots forward. Arrows are affected by gravity, but not to the extent of an uncharged Link bow.
Usmash: Forms an ice rune on the ground, which explodes and launches foes upward.
Dsmash: Equips a battleaxe and sweeps the ground.
Nair: Holds sword and dagger out and spins.
Fair: Swings sword in front.
Bair: Equips a shield and bashes behind.
Uair: Equips a staff and sends a fire blast upwards, like Zelda’s Uair.
Dair: Equips a bow and fires straight down.
Grab: Grabs the enemy with free left hand.
Pummel: Hilt strike with sword.
Fthrow: Kicks enemy to ground, then equips a bow and shoots arrows at him, like Green Arrow’s throw in Injustice 2.
Bthrow: Equips a staff and uses Telekinesis to hoist enemy and throw behind.
Uthrow: Elbows enemy away, then equips a battleaxe and launches enemy upwards.
Dthrow: Turns enemy around and stabs with a dagger, and allows him to fall (similar to Snake’s throw). No knockback, but high damage.

The specials are all based around Shouts in the game

NSpecial: Unrelenting Force – level changes depending on length button is held. Level 1 staggers enemies, level 2 has slight damage and knockback, level 3 has impressive knockback. There is a recharge timer for this.
SSpecial: Fire Breath – Blasts a quick burst of fire forward.
USpecial: Dragon Aspect – An ethereal draconic suit appears around Dovahkiin, and he jets upward on his wings, causing damage and knockback as he flies. After a short upward flight, the armor disappears and he goes into free fall.
DSpecial: Ice Form – Makes a blizzard in a small radius around the Dovahkiin which freezes enemies.

Final Smash: Bend Will – Dovahkiin calls a dragon and mounts. The dragon flies off, and then loops around to cover the screen in a jet of fire, similar to Game of Thrones’ Loot Train Attack.

I doubt anything big will show up in Smash, but it was a lot of fun to make up all of these elements. Enjoy!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I forgot to talk about this a while back, but I tried out Elder Scrolls Online’s free trial recently and I was pleasantly surprised at how similar the combat and UIs were to Skyrim. I know it’s what to expect considering it’s the latest game in the series, but after playing Oblivion for a while and struggling to get around it’s archaic UIs, it was nice to see something more like Skyrim again.

It also made me think about how that game saw releases on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. It’s a long shot for sure, but how likely do you think it will be if ESO got released on the Switch? We have yet to get an MMO on the system, but considering Bethesda’s recent partnership with Nintendo, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they considered doing just that.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
How is ESO? I hate MMOs with a passion, but it really looks great. Especially when they came out with the Morrowind expansion. That was my first Elder Scrolls game, and I loved every second of it. I'd love for TES6 to be a little closer to Morrowing in terms of weapon diversity/difficulty/etc. Only thing that stops me from enjoying Morrowind again is the stupid dice-roll combat.

Ugh, I really need another Elder Scrolls fix.

Skyrim is beautiful - I love the Nordic aesthetic they threw in to Bloodmoon, Oblivion (in Bruma) and now all of Skyrim, so I'm really gonna miss it if TES6 is in Summerset or wherever. I can't wait to get back into that once the semester is over.

Iconicdev

Smash Rookie
My idea for a character reveal trailer is the dovakiin fighting an unseen enemy in a futuristic setting when suddenly the dovakiin moves over and Ridley( if included in smash 5 otherwise charizard or Bowser would be decent replacements) and they are fighting one on one Samus is lying in the background up against a wall and through a reflection in her visor the smash logo then the three are teleported to the black void with the smash logo and two more shadow characters are revealed then the trailer ends.

Playcube

Smash Cadet
I LOVE SKYRIM SO MUCH I REALLY WANT TO SEE HIM IN SUPER SMASH BROS for SWITCH

The Best Skyrim Assist Trophy Would Be: Jyzargo

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Well, we got the dragon we wanted, now it'd be great to bring in a dragonslayer!

At this point, Dovahkiin and K.Rool are basically the only characters I could want left. This roster is looking incredible!

Here's hoping we at least get some appropriate Mii outfit, but... if we could get a playable Dragonborn...?

Top Bottom