• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman
First off, as strange as it is for me to say this (being the Ridley nut that I am) I'm darn satisfied with this roster. Getting Mewtwo as DLC is a nice 'cherry on top' if you will, but overall the roster is quite solid! That said, since I LOVE to speculate, I'd bet we'll be getting a couple more vets AND a couple newcomers as DLC somewhere down the pipe. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Wolf back, given his popularity (to say nothing of a great way to tie into Star Fox U) but Lucas seems a little less likely (sad as that is). Some sort of revamped Pokemon trainer seems like the kind of thing Sakurai would do, though if the Pokemon were different, dang would I miss my Squirtle!

And newcomers, oh boy. If I could pick any two--ANY two--it'd be Ridley and K Rool hands down. But I'm upper twenties and remember the days when these two baddies dominated Nintendo consoles. That's a ways back in Nintendo's history and doesn't seem like how they're picking MOST newcomers (Duck Hunt Dog doesn't fit the bill, for example) these days. Most likely newcomers at this point are probably Bandanna Waddle Dee and possibly Inkling.

Honestly though, if Nintendo just buckled down and released a few 'Most Wanted' DLC packs, first of which included Ridley, K Rool and Isaac (another one I'd love to see get in--his fans are so awesome) they'd be making the $$$ for years! Doesn't seem like that big of a stretch to me to do that, but what do I know? I'm still hoping for some kind of 'Sakurai surprise' on Wii U release day that introduces three or so new characters...With a patch to the 3DS of course. :shiro:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Yeah I do miss my Darth Wolf. Although Bad Mr Frosty deserves love
....I'd actually probably be happier with Bad Mr. Frosty as DLC than most characters. And I want those characters too, I just loved Clay Fighters. Let's face it, Interplay isn't doing anything, Nintendo needs to buy Earthworm Jim.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Falco's and Fox's voice actors *throws up*

Also, we all already know what happened to the cut characters... R.O.B. murdered them all :(

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Also, we all already know what happened to the cut characters... R.O.B. murdered them all :(

You know that you can't kill:wolf: right? He'll just come back like all the other Nintendo villains. Why he's really not in yet is because some quack claiming to be a doctor(:4drmario:) said he couldn't fight yet, (even though his only injuries were minor scratches to his face (like in 64) so now Wolf is just sitting at home waiting. :popo: are in intensive care after a 3DS fell on them.:lucas: is in a coma. :squirtle: died at least a :squirtle: died maybe we could get another:squirtle: to fill in. Same thing with :ivysaur:. :snake: is on his deathbed, the only thing that will save him is a miracle (aka Konami and Nintendo allowing Snake to be playable).

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

Would have been perfect if M2 was the one doing the final smash.

Anyway I think M2 could be the only one... hope im wrong, but that would bring the slot total to 50 I believe. and since the wii u version is going to boom, based on pre-orders, theres no need to make more, so theres a high chance there wont be any DLC beyond m2 which sucks but hey.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Would have been perfect if M2 was the one doing the final smash.

Anyway I think M2 could be the only one... hope im wrong, but that would bring the slot total to 50 I believe. and since the wii u version is going to boom, based on pre-orders, theres no need to make more, so theres a high chance there wont be any DLC beyond m2 which sucks but hey.
We didn't have Project M at the time of making the silly video xD

Sorry! D:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
....I'd actually probably be happier with Bad Mr. Frosty as DLC than most characters. And I want those characters too, I just loved Clay Fighters. Let's face it, Interplay isn't doing anything, Nintendo needs to buy Earthworm Jim.
I'm pretty sure I know who you and Wyntir are referring to, but by Bad Mr. Frosty, are you referring to Lucas or the Ice Climbers or another character?

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure I know who you and Wyntir are referring to, but by Bad Mr. Frosty, are you referring to Lucas or the Ice Climbers or another character?
He was referring to Ice Climbers with the cute video game reference of calling them Bad Mr. Frosty to mirror his use of the term 'darth wolf' for wolf.

I was referring to his direct reference of Bad Mr. Frosty from Clay Fighters. Specifically Clay Fighters 63 and 1/3, one of the finest N64 titles out there.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, that's curious about Wolf and Krystal's absence from the dialogue. I think either or both of them still have a chance of being in Smash at some point in the future, if only because another Star Fox game is coming to Wii U.

And I really think there is a high probability that we'll see the Inkling as DLC. It seems too perfect of a unique character to add value to Smash while at the same time promoting a new IP.

Say what you want, but I do think this time around much more consideration of the profitability/promotion of a franchise is present when deciding on which characters to include (besides the historical/retro characters). I think the amiibos support this idea as well. They'll be much more useful and appealing to consumers if they are from a living and current franchise!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, that's curious about Wolf and Krystal's absence from the dialogue. I think either or both of them still have a chance of being in Smash at some point in the future, if only because another Star Fox game is coming to Wii U.
Especially since Wolf's VA is back and didn't record anything for Orbutal Gate Assault........ Oh right! I forgot about Lylat Cruise's dialogues!

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Especially since Wolf's VA is back and didn't record anything for Orbutal Gate Assault........ Oh right! I forgot about Lylat Cruise's dialogues!
Wolf's 64 3d voice actor Jaz Adams also voiced Peppy in that game, though I'm not sure if he voiced Peppy in smash, and even so its still a waste to just get him for Peppy and not Wolf, (he didn't even tell you to do a barrel roll:() To be honest I think the Orbital Gate codecs are my least favorite of all, and Gamexplain claims that the two we saw are the only ones, though he could be under embargo.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Wolf's 64 3d voice actor Jaz Adams also voiced Peppy in that game, though I'm not sure if he voiced Peppy in smash, and even so its still a waste to just get him for Peppy and not Wolf, (he didn't even tell you to do a barrel roll:() To be honest I think the Orbital Gate codecs are my least favorite of all, and Gamexplain claims that the two we saw are the only ones, though he could be under embargo.
I was talking about Jay Ward, the one who voiced him in Brawl

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
He was referring to Ice Climbers with the cute video game reference of calling them Bad Mr. Frosty to mirror his use of the term 'darth wolf' for wolf.

I was referring to his direct reference of Bad Mr. Frosty from Clay Fighters. Specifically Clay Fighters 63 and 1/3, one of the finest N64 titles out there.
Ah, thank you for clarifying. I really wasn't sure myself.

True.... so Wolf's chance did go down.....

I'm surprisingly okay with that...... probably because there are enough clones already
I hope you're not serious. All of Wolf's A-attacks were completely different than Fox's (which is more than I can say about some of Falco's...) and all his special moves had different animations and properties than Fox's. I'd say he deserves his own spot on the roster especially if SFU is a really big hit.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
True.... so Wolf's chance did go down.....

I'm surprisingly okay with that...... probably because there are enough clones already
Out of most of the "clones" he was one of the ones furthest from a clone.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Out of most of the "clones" he was one of the ones furthest from a clone.
Wolf is just as much not a clone as :roymelee: was not a clone. Wolf played totally differently to Fox/Falco and :roymelee: played so totally differently to Marth. If you played :roymelee: exactly as you played Marth you'd have gotten wrekt in melee.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Wolf is just as much not a clone as :roymelee: was not a clone. Wolf played totally differently to Fox/Falco and :roymelee: played so totally differently to Marth. If you played :roymelee: exactly as you played Marth you'd have gotten wrekt in melee.
Same logic can be applied to :lucas:, as well as :4ganondorf:, and to an extent, :4tlink:.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
But Fox already had Falco to semiclone him. Maybe that's what went through Sakurai's head.
I liked Wolf and maybe he's coming back. Unlike IC, his trophy relates to Assault, not his detailed Smash outfit.
IF he's coming back, all I hope is a new FS.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
But Fox already had Falco to semiclone him. Maybe that's what went through Sakurai's head.
I liked Wolf and maybe he's coming back. Unlike IC, his trophy relates to Assault, not his detailed Smash outfit.
IF he's coming back, all I hope is a new FS.
Very unlikely. Although if he gets the Airwing as his FS, I'm really going to be pissed off at Falco

Khao

Smash Lord
"If you want this older character go play an older game."

This mentality is kind of missing the whole freaking point.

They don't just want to play these characters for the sake of playing the characters, they want these characters in the new game, with the new mechanics, working in the new game modes, and fighting alongside the new characters too.

Let's say you main Mario, surely you have no problem playing the N64 version while completely ignoring every sequel, right?

Last edited:

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I think he's unlikely too, but then again, I've never been able to predict the roster. Usually I guess only 1-3 characters right.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I think he's unlikely too, but then again, I've never been able to predict the roster. Usually I guess only 1-3 characters right.
I anticipated Junior, Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk, DHD (as an AT), and Pac-Man in the game, but never thought they'd actually be in there.

I also had a feeling that Sakurai would put Mewtwo as DLC, because how else would he be able to sell DLC? ^_^

Anyway, let's get to the topic at hand: Wolf's odds to get back in Smash....

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I anticipated Junior, Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk, DHD (as an AT), and Pac-Man in the game, but never thought they'd actually be in there.

I also had a feeling that Sakurai would put Mewtwo as DLC, because how else would he be able to sell DLC? ^_^

Anyway, let's get to the topic at hand: Wolf's odds to get back in Smash....
Very high. Given the demand for his DLC as well as Star Fox U, it would be unreasonable not to put him in, unless Star Fox U turns out to be an abysmal failure, which I hope does not happen. But even if it did, Wolf's chances would still be fairly high in my opinion.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Very high. Given the demand for his DLC as well as Star Fox U, it would be unreasonable not to put him in, unless Star Fox U turns out to be an abysmal failure, which I hope does not happen. But even if it did, Wolf's chances would still be fairly high in my opinion.
How well SFU sells is partially not the issue here. Wolf in SSB4 would be to advertise SFU so hopefully SFU sells more.

D

Deleted member

Here's a question: do characters being DLC hurt their future chances of returning to the roster? For example, even though Link is a DLC character addition to MK8, I don't think he'll be a staple of the Mario Kart franchise from now on...

Last edited by a moderator:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Here's a question: do characters being DLC hurt their future chances of returning to the roster? For example, even though Link is a DLC character addition to MK8, I don't think he'll be a staple of the Mario Kart franchise from now on...
There's a difference between a first-party series-specific's crossover DLC (MK8) and a DLC for a crossover game (Smash).

Link is not a Mario character, so we'll probably not see him in future Mario Karts.

Mewtwo, however, will have a chance to come back as a non-DLC character in the next Smash, since Smash is not specific to a single series

Freduardo

Smash Champion
...I do. Or a staple of Mario Kart DLC. Zelda series will sell some karts.

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Depends on the character imo.

And I would've thought Diddy and Baby Bowser were Mario Kart staples by now, but Nintendo is always trying to do something unsuspected.

The only characters that I'd say are definitely safe for future Smash games are the original 12, and a select few others. It used to be more, but I'm always surprised by who is cut and who stays. I was really shocked when Mewtwo wasn't in Brawl.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo, however, will have a chance to come back as a non-DLC character in the next Smash, since Smash is not specific to a single series
I'd like to agree, but I'd also point out that he was cut from Brawl. I mean honestly, nobody likes to have their favorite character cut. I kinda wish there would just stop being character cuts at all, unless it was some sort of sensical replacement, like Young Link to Toon Link or whatnot.

YeahVeryeah

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4184-3623-5583
I'd like to agree, but I'd also point out that he was cut from Brawl. I mean honestly, nobody likes to have their favorite character cut. I kinda wish there would just stop being character cuts at all, unless it was some sort of sensical replacement, like Young Link to Toon Link or whatnot.
Mewtwo was cut from 64 and Brawl, at this point, hes confirmed in as many games as he's cut.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I heard him and Roy were originally intended to be playable in Brawl, but then time constraints combined with Sonic's last-minute inclusion prevented them from completing them if I remember correctly.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
This game is going to last long If they continue DLC.

With DLC they could add content without having to create a whole new game.

Moving on. I don't see M2 being the only DLC. But I was one of those "Give me M2 and I'm sold" Smash fans. So I'm good without more DLC. But I'm sure there is going to be another character DLC. Not anytime soon though.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This game is going to last long If they continue DLC.

With DLC they could add content without having to create a whole new game.

Moving on. I don't see M2 being the only DLC. But I was one of those "Give me M2 and I'm sold" Smash fans. So I'm good without more DLC. But I'm sure there is going to be another character DLC. Not anytime soon though.
For me, its "K. Rool and Isaac and I'm sold." Any DLC beyond that is just a bonus to me.

As far as character DLC, I'm sure there will be a DLC pack in Spring alongside Mewtwo. That's the earliest I expect DLC. If there's anything added before that, its a patch. Another thing is Sakurai actually expressed interesting in extending the life of the game, which he stated he plans to do through patches currently, but that likely will include DLC content later.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
So I made this

and this

So, What do you guys think??

Also I know the outlines look awful
Hmm... As much as I want the second scenario to happen (only because of Lucas), 10 characters is really pushing it. I'd say 5 or 6 at most including Mewtwo. I'd say the first scenario is more likely since DK and Zelda should get a new character (in my opinion) while Wolf should never have been cut.

The second one: I can see Isaac happening, but not Roy, Krystal, or Bandanna Dee (to an extent). I'm not sure who the girl on the bottom is (Inkling, I'm guessing), but maybe. Lucas would only really happen if Mother 3 was given a worldwide release.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
For me, its "K. Rool and Isaac and I'm sold." Any DLC beyond that is just a bonus to me.

As far as character DLC, I'm sure there will be a DLC pack in Spring alongside Mewtwo. That's the earliest I expect DLC. If there's anything added before that, its a patch. Another thing is Sakurai actually expressed interesting in extending the life of the game, which he stated he plans to do through patches currently, but that likely will include DLC content later.
From now on I just see at as "More characters? Meh." I don't know why people bother to say that there would be too much. No such thing.

Anyway. DLC is going to be something. What If Mewtwo is just a test? To see how good will DLC sell?

The Wii U is capable of things the Wii couldn't ever do. And Sakurai will use that to his advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom