• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Theory on yet unrevealed characters and the WiiU/Future Unannounced DLC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
Legitimately, I can see 4 being revealed early on, with talk of future DLC to come. I don't buy the idea that it takes so long for the entire group to make one fighter alone, however, considering how large the group is.

I personally see, other than Mewtwo, who should be seperate, 1 veteran and 3 newcomers, which should be a theme for each DLC package if they go in installments.
Unfortunately things in production are rarely as simple as "Time of production=Workload/number of people working on it", and I think it would actually be more efficient to have more than one character being worked on at once, unless they're only keeping a small team from the full game's development.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unfortunately things in production are rarely as simple as "Time of production=Workload/number of people working on it", and I think it would actually be more efficient to have more than one character being worked on at once, unless they're only keeping a small team from the full game's development.
One problem does crop up; if multiple people are working on the same thing, it becomes unsustainable. There is a limit to the amount of people who can work on one specific element. So yes, I agree with this notion. If they keep the dev teams together, they're going to want to create more characters and more side elements as well alongside developing characters, such as stages and trophies.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah, I agree. People keep bringing up Lucas being likely for a return, but the thing is, I'm not so sure about that. Lucas wasn't all that desired by the Japanese fanbase, Mother really is dead (since the developer confirmed as such), and Mother 3 is likely never getting localized. Lucas was probably cut just because Sakurai saw no reason to keep him.

Wolf, on the other hand, may have just gotten cut due to time constraints and not being high priority.
Yes, but wouldn't it be possible for a new director to give Mother a 1UP Mushroom?

Jokes aside, if Mother 3 got a worldwide release, I would be shocked if Lucas didn't get in. I would be able to live with it, but still disappointed and shocked. Wolf is probably the most likely character for DLC at this point for StarFox U as well as the outrage over his cut. Personally, I don't care if Wolf got in or not since I don't have any attachment to him (never played StarFox in my life, nor is he a main), but I know a lot of other people really like him, and thus will support him either way, just not as much as Lucas.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yes, but wouldn't it be possible for a new director to give Mother a 1UP Mushroom?

Jokes aside, if Mother 3 got a worldwide release, I would be shocked if Lucas didn't get in. I would be able to live with it, but still disappointed and shocked. Wolf is probably the most likely character for DLC at this point for StarFox U as well as the outrage over his cut. Personally, I don't care if Wolf got in or not since I don't have any attachment to him (never played StarFox in my life, nor is he a main), but I know a lot of other people really like him, and thus will support him either way, just not as much as Lucas.
Yeah, none of the cut veterans really phase me all that much. I think Wolf at least should come back, but I don't really care all that much. I kinda liked Lucas because I felt sad for him, but the characters in general I wasn't particularly attached to. Though Wolf is my favorite of the Star Fox characters probably.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah, none of the cut veterans really phase me all that much. I think Wolf at least should come back, but I don't really care all that much. I kinda liked Lucas because I felt sad for him, but the characters in general I wasn't particularly attached to. Though Wolf is my favorite of the Star Fox characters probably.
I'll mainly support non-clone veterans (Roy (requires different playstyle than Marth from what I hear), Squirtle, and Ivysaur are exceptions): Lucas, Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers, though Lucas for more personal reasons and the others because I thought they deserved to be in Smash plus all the complaints on this site. I will also support Dixie/K. Rool and Isaac, but given my lack of knowledge of them, I won't be as biased for them as the vets.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well 4 days until we can see Lylat cruise codecs, and if he ported them from brawl, then that means that the one where Slippy says Falco and Wolf are itching for a fight is gonna be in there, Sakurai should announce Wolf DLC before or on the day of release, though preferably before, since I can't wait till Friday, to get us happy again.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Well 4 days until we can see Lylat cruise codecs, and if he ported them from brawl, then that means that the one where Slippy says Falco and Wolf are itching for a fight is gonna be in there, Sakurai should announce Wolf DLC before or on the day of release, though preferably before, since I can't wait till Friday, to get us happy again.
Please don't get my hopes up, I'm just so anxious to see

D

Deleted member

I don't understand why Squirtle and Ivysaur don't get more love. I mean both of them were easily better than Charizard in Brawl. And neither were clones, nor have been 'replaced.' Literally the only reason people come up with for why they shouldn't return is that there are too many Pokemon.

That's a dumb reason.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I don't understand why Squirtle and Ivysaur don't get more love. I mean both of them were easily better than Charizard in Brawl. And neither were clones, nor have been 'replaced.' Literally the only reason people come up with for why they shouldn't return is that there are too many Pokemon.

That's a dumb reason.
I don't know. I guess they aren't popular enough compared to Charizard, who could even suppress Mewtwo in popularity. Plus, I'm not sure how many people liked the Pokemon Trainer gimmick. I mean I think it's unique, but I don't use Trainer like at all. Someone else can probably explain better than me, though. I just am not a fan of Squirtle and Ivysaur for whatever reason.

D

Deleted member

I don't know. I guess they aren't popular enough compared to Charizard, who could even suppress Mewtwo in popularity. Plus, I'm not sure how many people liked the Pokemon Trainer gimmick. I mean I think it's unique, but I don't use Trainer like at all. Someone else can probably explain better than me, though. I just am not a fan of Squirtle and Ivysaur for whatever reason.
Oh, I don't want the Trainer back, just the other Pokemon. I mean, I can understand that they're not the most popular Pokemon, but they're certainly not the least popular. The original starters and their evolutions should hold a place in the heart of any Pokemon fan.

On a related note, Squirtle's Bubble move in P:M is seriously the most fun special move to use on someone.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I loved the transformation mechanics for Zelda and the Trainer. True, I always played Zelda alone, so Shiek got very little game time, but the Trainer I played all three equally. I liked Squirtle the best, but because of the stamina mechanic and the fact that it auto-rotated the characters, all of them got a go. I really miss that. My team in HG/SS even was based around Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard.

I would hope that more DLC is coming, and that they give us Brawl vets. Didn't Sakurai say that he hated cuts from the roster? With DLC, there's no base to the 'X has too many reps' arguments, so I'd be OK with most characters returning. Also, it seems easy enough to insert new DLC characters into the game.

My list is :wolf::squirtle::ivysaur:, since I used them all pretty heavily in Brawl. I never really got into Lucas that much since I'm terrible with Ness, but I wouldn't be opposed to him.

And I'd love to see some promotions. Yeah, I'm still wishing Ridley made it playable, but I'd also like to see some Assist Trophies make the jump (Midna, Ghirahim?). It's DLC, so they don't need to care so much about infuriating fanbases (though why anyone would refuse to buy the game because of one character's inclusion is beyond me...aren't there 48 other characters you don't loathe?) or having even representation among series. And Smash DLC would be a great way to hype other series - Fire Emblem was a Japan only thing until Marth showed up in Melee.

...now if only Hyrule Warriors had come out later and they used those outfits and movesets to hype it...

I'm betting DLC is on its way, and I hope Wolf is one of the first coming. And it would be great to see rehashed stages as DLC too - Great Bay or Saffron City, anyone?

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title

That's a dumb reason.
Speculating here:

The reason they were cut is likely because they were probably put on low priority due to having to port a lot of Pokemon characters. They probably wanted to focus on at least one Pokemon from Pokemon Trainer before moving on to other characters. I'd imagine time restraints is part of the problem, and is usually why cuts happen. They really did their hardest to get everyone back I believe.

It makes sense when you think about it. Go with the most popular of the 3, worry about the remaining two later and get the newcomers/other veterans you also want in.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
With charizard being his own character now, I see no reason to bring them back tbh. They were only there because of the pokemon trainer and we all know what happened to him

D

Deleted member

Speculating here:

The reason they were cut is likely because they were probably put on low priority due to having to port a lot of Pokemon characters. They probably wanted to focus on at least one Pokemon from Pokemon Trainer before moving on to other characters. I'd imagine time restraints is part of the problem, and is usually why cuts happen. They really did their hardest to get everyone back I believe.

It makes sense when you think about it. Go with the most popular of the 3, worry about the remaining two later and get the newcomers/other veterans you also want in.
I just hope that Squirtle and Ivysaur (along with Wolf) are in fact being considered for DLC, and that it was out of time constraints that they were cut, and not that it was decided the game didn't need them.

I can understand how they would be lower priority, given Pokemon does have a lot of reps, but still--they were great characters, and I'd love to see what they would come up with for their new specials. I absolutely love what Project M did with them.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I just hope that Squirtle and Ivysaur (along with Wolf) are in fact being considered for DLC, and that it was out of time constraints that they were cut, and not that it was decided the game didn't need them.

I can understand how they would be lower priority, given Pokemon does have a lot of reps, but still--they were great characters, and I'd love to see what they would come up with for their new specials. I absolutely love what Project M did with them.
To be absolutely honest, I'm with you that they're great. Squirtle is actually my #1 favorite Pokemon and Ivysaur is my main in Project M. I really hope they come back as DLC, and hopefully update Ivysaur to be a more fun fighter than he was in Brawl.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
While I didn't much care for Ivysaur, I've always loved Squirtle. Long before he was a thing in Smash Bros. Squirtle was my favorite pokemon until I learned about Mewtwo, and I'd still put squirtle in my top 5. I get that Charizard is more popular but I suspect a lot of that (tbh, the same for Pikachu) is just due to him getting pushed so hard by the creators. I still remember Charizard being the single most powerful card in the card game way back in the day. I remember countless episodes of the anime focusing on how powerful and imposing Charizard was compared to basically every other pokemon that Ash had. I'm sure Charizard would still be popular if he hadn't gotten anymore focus in merchandizing than dugtrio, but I'm equally sure that Charizard would not be AS popular. I'm sure in the alternate "Blue" version of Earth where they chose to push Blastoise instead HE'S in Smash 4. Ridley's still too big though.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-no-premium-smash-bros-dlc-currently-planned-more/

This may truely be the end of this thread

So far looks like mewtwo may be the only one
First off, sakurai

Second, Wolf and lucas were quite clearly intended to be in the game imo and even if they weren't, bringing them over from brawl isn't that hard

Also smash 6, other than DLC, I have no idea what it could be

And he also specifically mentions PAID DLC, so maybe if there is more DLC it is also accessed by connecting versions

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-no-premium-smash-bros-dlc-currently-planned-more/

You do realize there's already more content in development? Sakurai has also stated they plan to extend the life of the game through patches for a long while. There will definitely be more DLC later, he's just saying he's not focusing on it now. The game's not even out yet, its not really time to talk DLC. The only reason we're doing it is because we already know everything in the game.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
You do realize there's already more content in development? Sakurai has also stated they plan to extend the life of the game through patches for a long while. There will definitely be more DLC later, he's just saying he's not focusing on it now. The game's not even out yet, its not really time to talk DLC. The only reason we're doing it is because we already know everything in the game.
ok then

I will take those words on it

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The developer of the game literally saying "we may not have the time, money or workforce to make DLC that would be expansive enough to warrant a fee, and it may not even be worth the criticism we will inevitably get"....

=/=

"We definitely have DLC in development!".

The post game patches are just that - patches. Fixing things up. Stuff like the sharing feature is not a huge deal and not worth holding the game back over. The online tournaments mode is probably not finished, but may also be being held back because they want to give Wii U players the chance to get to grips with the game. And the Miiverse stage is intended to draw from the Smash Bros Miiverse community itself, so they probably have to wait until people actually can post stuff and build up a good selection of messages for every character.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Something will happen In the near future.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/07/sma...says-new-game-is-coming-to-wii-u-3ds-in-2015/

Given that Sakurai has recently stated that he wants the new game to be played for 'years' through balance patches, that takes this evidence towards being something big planned for net year.
I still think the job posting was false, but it is possible, and I think likely, they might do an expansion pack a year after the fact with more stages and characters.

KoM

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ReiTsubomi
3DS FC
2638-0679-1408
I still think the job posting was false, but it is possible, and I think likely, they might do an expansion pack a year after the fact with more stages and characters.
Any reason you think it's false?

You'd think both companies would deny it instead of refuse comment if that were the case.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I can't see it being a Blizzard like expansion pack. It'll be more like Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors styled DLC packs in my opinion.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can't see it being a Blizzard like expansion pack. It'll be more like Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors styled DLC packs in my opinion.
I said I think it likely could be. I'd say its more likely for smaller packs rather than a full expansion, but an actual expansion is possible.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812

This interviewer could have saved a lot of time by having the whole page be summed up with:

On offering any post-release additions other than Mewtwo and taking advantage of the potential gold mine (not to mention new fans and satisfied customers) win/win situation that adding a new character every now and then would supply:

"I'm quite certain that no one would want that. Ever. For any reason."

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
This interviewer could have saved a lot of time by having the whole page be summed up with:

On offering any post-release additions other than Mewtwo and taking advantage of the potential gold mine (not to mention new fans and satisfied customers) win/win situation that adding a new character every now and then would supply:

"I'm quite certain that no one would want that. Ever. For any reason."
Which isn't what he said. He danced around the question and said that he's concerned with people thinking they cut content to be paid later (which some people will say no matter what), and that they want to focus on the things they have now before doing DLC.

What he's really saying is, we're not going to say we're planning any DLC, even if we actually are. Sakurai already stated that they have plans to support Smash in the long-term through balance patches, which is very similar to what the MK8 developers stated when they said they planned to support MK8 in the long-term as well. Then two months later announced DLC content.

Sakurai's not going to announce DLC before the game is even released, and if there's even a shred of a possibility that they already have talked about, and have DLC planned, they don't want people to know about it so they don't get such complaints when it is actually announced later.

The other fun fact is, he specifically states "paid" DLC. He never said they weren't working on other DLC, just not "paid."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And Mewtwo is not paid DLC. It's possible more non-paid could come out. Just saying. Miiverse wouldn't be paid either, by the sound of it.

And we've got a ton of DLC anyway. 1 Mode(Conquest Mode) 3 Patches, and soon Tournament Mode as well as Miiverse and Mewtwo. There's been 7 sets of DLC created so far. Or announced.

the8thark

Smash Lord
And Mewtwo is not paid DLC.
If you don't include the fact those of us without both consoles have to buy the other version (that we were not originally intending to buy) for Mewtwo then sure. And this also means it's possible Mewtwo will not be a paid download in the future, if there is no paid DLC ever for SSB4.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If you don't include the fact those of us without both consoles have to buy the other version (that we were not originally intending to buy) for Mewtwo then sure. And this also means it's possible Mewtwo will not be a paid download in the future, if there is no paid DLC ever for SSB4.
Which is extremely unlikely. At the very least, Mewtwo will be released as paid DLC after he's released to those who have both games.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do not include that because Paid DLC means directly paying for the DLC. You really aren't, you're paying for two big games and getting a bonus. If Mewtwo becomes purchasable separately, awesome. But he wasn't originally designed to be paid dlc either way. Just a bonus character.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I do not include that because Paid DLC means directly paying for the DLC. You really aren't, you're paying for two big games and getting a bonus. If Mewtwo becomes purchasable separately, awesome. But he wasn't originally designed to be paid dlc either way. Just a bonus character.
I do agree with you totally. But it does mean outside paid DLC, Mewtwo will be a $40 - $80 spend to get him, depend on where you live and what version of SSB4 you do not have. (This is assuming you were not going to otherwise buy both versions of the game.)

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I do agree with you totally. But it does mean outside paid DLC, Mewtwo will be a $40 - $80 spend to get him, depend on where you live and what version of SSB4 you do not have. (This is assuming you were not going to otherwise buy both versions of the game.)
We honestly don't know if a separate 3DS and Wii U player can get both, mostly due to the Club Nintendo thing. Which, if that was possible, it means you yourself weren't forced to purchase both. I really don't know what'll happen after the "time limit" is up for the bonus DLC.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I think Nintendo is behind all of this n Sak-Man is saying what they tell him to say. Strategic measures to keep the sales at a steady rise.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/19/why-mewtwo-isnt-paid-dlc-for-smash-wii-3ds

Ok back on top

Mewtwo is a test subject for dlc hes the perfect canidate everyone loves that pokemon

And as long as mewtwo is a good tier character it will show sakurai dlc stuff is good for smash

I going to have both versions so im one of the beta testers for this
Another good test would be:wolf: to promote Star Fox U, If he does his job add Krystal as DLC too, if not, at least we've got :wolf: playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom