• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide The Yo-yo Glitch: Cracked. (Update: FAQ now in first post)

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh, no. If the yo-yo had more priority, in theory, youcould, but for now, youcan only YYG needles, arrows, and set bombs (bet some of you didn't know that).

As for a frozen opponent, it's possible. As long as Ness experiances freeze frames, you can YYG. So if an opponent moves out of the way to the exact frame, tchnically, you could YYG even an invicible opponent.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Okay, finally getting the spacing and timing down on this thing. It's really quite entertaining. I love the long-distance grab and I've gotten the Thunder Jacket to work once, but for some reason I can't get the Spike Jacket to equip. Seems like when I try it, it just brings me the deathline and that's it.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Well, yes, it does to the deathline. Pretty much anymove will. Even when you equip a TJ it will deathline. What I assume is happening when you try the SpikeJ is the opponent is between you and the trapbox. When an opponent is hit by a trapbox, deathline, or jacket it needs to be recycled by 12 hits.

Hope that helps.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Well, I tried it both with the enemy inside and outside the deathline, and it just didn't seem to be working. (Well, the deathline was working when I got my timing right, and he was between me and the box.)

Define recycled. I'm not sure I follow, on that one.

Thanks for the help, definitely. I'm close to being able to wow my friends (who don't already know about it)

Handorin

Smash Hero
Once you hit someone with a jacket you cant use it again right? In a way, yes. All you have to do is hit twelve other objects (items, blocks, etc) to hit the object again. Try going in training mode, equip a TJ, then hit the CPU with it. Now spawn a bajillion Mr. Saturns on yourself, they should all fly away. Now go back to the CPU and you should be able to hit him again with the TJ.

P.S. Offtopic: Are you going to come to an INN biweekly, Trident? Or the main event for that matter. (sometime in March.)

everyone should come to INNsomnia V. Biggest thing in the South, except Smash Aid.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Ah, maybe that's what it was. I was just practicing an untimed Vs. on FD with a no-player P2. I'll try it in training next time.

Offtopic: I'm going to do my best to make it to INN V, even if I have to buy a fraggin' plane ticket to Memphis. (At this point, it'd be cheaper than driving.)

I'd like to make a Biweekly between here and there, but I'm going out of town tonight so I can't make the midnight one, and I don't know about ones in Jan/Feb yet. I did make it to Keta's for some fun right before Christmas, though. I can't wait to go to more things.. and an actual tourney, too!

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Are you cancelling the hitbox of the dair? If you se puffy smoe clouds, then mos liekly you are. But if the are thin and circular, you are either doing it too early or to late. Try this.

YYG
SH
Dair at the peak of the SH
FF
L-cancel

TridenT

Smash Cadet
Oh, I was definitely SH'ing the Dair as low as it could go. (I stink at L-Canceling, though, but I think I even got that right a few tries.) I know the idea is to interrupt whichever move, be it Spike, Star or PKT2. (For that matter, does floorsmashing work for PKT2? I could only get the Thunder Jacket by sweet-spotting the ledge.)

Also, as a refresher, does the trapbox drop where Ness is standing or where the back extension of the UpSmash reaches out to (ie, behind Ness)?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yeah, you have ot cancel the dair while the hitbox is out. So you might have beencancelling the dair during the wind up when there was no hitbox.

For TJ, you can cancel it any way as long as Ness screams. You can do an aerial floorblast, wallblast, roofblost, ledgeblast, or what have you. A grounded floorblast will only work if you do it on top of a platform you can drop through.

The trapbox drops at Ness' feet.

TridenT

Smash Cadet
That's what it was. I was hopping too low for the dair hitbox to come out. Grr.

I used to be great at aerial floorblasting, and now that it has a use I can't do it. Grr again.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
THEORECTICALLY, you can YYG a frozen opponent if they SDI. fat chance.

as for the spike jacket, it is a bit harder than thunder, star, blah, because you can cancel the attack too early. MAKE SURE HIS FOOT IS OUT WHEN YOU LAND!!!

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
lol i think spike jacket is easier the star jacket. I never once equipped star.

i dont even see a use for star jacket except for high damage floatie characters you wanna kill. The usmash prolly killed them any way.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Star jacket is the quickest jacket you can equip (Well, I'm pretty sure) so I use it the most when I wanna go for a TJ to protect the trapbox. I also find it useful for combos since it pops foes up and forward for an fair.

In order of difficulty IMO
Spike>Thunder>Star

Handorin

Smash Hero
DANGZ, nice thinking EB. My friend always steals the trapbox before I can equip TJ (or deathline even), so I will try doing that from now on.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
yeah, i see that's what simna does in his vid. YYG, spike jacket, go to edge, equip TJ.

star jacket aint that hard.
ok...smash up on the control stick, then immediately press X or Y, then immediately press A after that, then press R or L for a split second.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yea i kno a perfect djc uair. I do them all the time... i just never tried to eqip star except for the one time i did to see what it looks like.

Also I've never spiked someone woth the sppike jacket, i always put on TJ.

btw can you yyg somene laying on the ground?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
I tried it against my noob friend and it worked. As long as they don't DI it works. Not sure if they DI what happens.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I tested YYGing an invincible opponent. It works. I put a Fox on training mode on jump and gave him a starman. When he was about to jump, I YYGed him. I tried out star jackt and it worked.

what if they CC the yoyo?
They wont get YYGed, but they will take near 20% on the spot.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
what if they CCC?
Say again?

I had a dream last night that I charged the yoyo off the stage to do SYYG. o.O
I dont remember how though. :( I need to start video recording my dreams in case they are important.
I wish I could record dreams. There are several that I wouldn't mind seing again.:lol:

Yet there is no practical use for YYGing an invincible opponent, is there? Would you be trying to hit them as soon as they grab edge, then they hit you and interrupt your trapbox...instant YYG/"something amazing"?

As for hitting a foe on the ground, that would be beneficial if you were fighting a fastfaller who might miss techs. Then you could YYG while they were vulnerable, or even techchase but yoyo instead of grab.:cool:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
please do!

CCC is "Crouch cancel counter", used mainly by samus and peach.

also, CCC stands for Cats Claw Counter, dealing with M2's shield canceled shffl'd fair.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I dunno, I dont often get faced with a failed YYG with a CCC. ButI'm pretty sure it would hurt.:ohwell:

I never said YYGing an invincible opponent was useful (hel1, you'd be considered insane if you tried), I was just making a comparison stating that as long as Ness experiences hitlag whileusing the usmash, YYG is possible. That's why you need to hit something with the yo-yo. It's all in the hitlag.

supernova63

Smash Journeyman
if frame 1 is the frame you hit the opponent on, then on frame 12 is when to release the up smash.

hope it was helpful

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Thisis he yo-yo frame data from SDM.

STRONG HIT

12 - hit
12 - stun 1
12 - stun 2
12 - stun 3
12 - stun 4
12 - stun 5
13 - charging 1
13 - charging 2
13 - charging 3
13 - charging 4
13 - charging 5
13 - charging 6 YES
13 - charging 7 YES
13 - charging 8 YES
13 - charging 9 YES
13 - charging 10 YES
13 - charging 11 YES

WEAK HIT

13 - hit
13 - charging 1
13 - charging 2
13 - charging 3
13 - charging 4
13 - charging 5
13 - charging 6
13 - charging 7
13 - charging 8
13 - charging 9
13 - charging 10 YES
13 - charging 11 YES
13 - charging 12 YES
13 - charging 13 YES
13 - charging 14 YES
13 - charging 15 YES

The frames that say yes are the frames in which youcan release the yo-yo to sucessfully YYG.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Yep, we dont want to spam the topic.

Crap, I just did. >_<
A premium member is spamming the topic...to shame! I spam but am not a paying member and therefore not required to adhere to the same strict standards I set for paying users. Foolishness, I laugh at your committedness mua ha ha ha!

On a side note, and so this post is only 99% spam, what progress have we made on the SYYG in the months since its discovery?

EDIT: Nobody saw that >.<

Psi

Smash Cadet
I read the paragraph on Smashwiki about the SYYG but I don't quite understand.

Instant KO Throw- How is it instant? Do they take knockback as if they had 999% or what?

Infinite Jacket- I'm assuming this means you can hit the same person with a jacket multiple times without recycling through 11 other objects.

Those are my guesses anyway. Does anyone actually know for sure? Are there any videos of it?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
No vids yet. But the instant death throw is this:
SYYG leaves an infinite trapbox off of the stage
You grab a foe while it rests off stage
You dthrow them
This teleports them to the trapbox
The dthrow without the floor is a spike aka instant KO

You've got the jacket thing rigght

Psi

Smash Cadet
Wow. I'm excited to have something new to experiment with. Was this just discovered recently or have I just been under a rock?

I know it was an accident and we don't know exactly how to do it but is there any info at all on how it happened?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Just discovered.

I dont know exactly how it was encountered, but it is thought to be caused due to one of the two reasons:

Teetering edge frames and using th yo-yo
Jumpcancelled yo-yo frames

It was originally discovered by using the edge, but Flamestar claimed to have done it a distance from the edge and the jump canceling was somehow inferred.

Top Bottom