• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "wow, Chrono Characters should be in this" thread

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
mkmelee said:
I don't think Nintendo has room for more swordfighters.
marth, roy, link, younglink. that's one 2 gaming series (fire emblem and zelda). they have room .

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
What is Crono replaced Roy, and Frog Replaced...uh Young Link.

No that's kind of a stupid idea. the Frog part.

But still, I know I'm a fan of Geno, and Chrono Trigger is an effing classic, but their sort of post-prime popularity and belonging-ness to Squarenix might eliminate their chances. The only real savior would be if Squarenix announces a partnership with Nintendo's virtual console. Right now they've remained neutral, aside from their traditional loyalty to Sony who has no library of classics slated for this generation.

Really the only one who would fit, in my view, would be Frog, because they could give him and awesome Broadsword moveset, which no one in Smash yet has. [Mini-Ganondorf anyone?]

Zelda_Freak

Smash Rookie
This is a big sigh of relief for me. I thought that I was the only one who wanted Chrono Trigger characters in a game, and that no-one else would vote for them.

Magus & Crono FTW!!!

Barp the Lad

Smash Rookie
As cool as having Crono/Magus/Frog/Dalton/whomever in this game would be, I wouldn't hold my breath on it--if any square characters appear in this game, it would probably be Geno and/or Mallow since Nintendo had a hand in making Mario RPG. And even that's iffy, since, as masterofmydomain said, we don't know who has the rights to those characters. I'm willing to bet that Snake will be the exception rather than the rule and that there won't be many (if any) other third party characters. Keep in mind, this is a Nintendo game, so they'll probably be wanting to promote Nintendo characters more than anyone else.

Also, there is no way anyone from Chrono Cross will make it into this game, nor should they. Don't get me wrong, I love CC, but they have NOTHING to do with Nintendo at all and would be totally out of place.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Do you think Crono is likely to get in ? Considering the support Nintendo has been getting from Square lately.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
There's no doubt that Nintendo and square were very buddy-buddy on the snes. At the end of it's life, however, Square broke off contracts and never produced a single game for the N64. Square has continually refused to produce titles for nintendo, excluding the Crystal Chronicles for the Game Cube. Why on god's green earth would they suddenly team up with a company originally was hell bent on censoring its games (on Snes when nintendo) ?

They won't. Kojima had to beg for literally YEARS to finally get snake in and I highly HIGHLY doubt any other company has even tried to get in.

I loved Chrono Trigger. It defined nintendo back in the early 1990's for me. I would love nothing else but to play the game style I love with a character I've loved, but you have to realize that it simply ISN'T going to happen.

Like others said, CC is way out of the question.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I hope Nintendo and Square start working together even more this gen so we can see Crono in SSB4 :p

Zodiac

Smash Master
Dragon Quest is jsut as big in Japan as Final Fantasy is in america, their developing a Dragon quest game for the wii, ties may be re sown.

Rye

Smash Journeyman
How quickly people forget that dragon quest is mostly an Enix driven game. Just because square merges with enix doesn't mean that Square is on board with every decision Enix makes.

I already said it would be cool if chrono were in it. I'm just being realistic and saying that it's almost a complete impossibility. I'd love to look back on this post and be happy I was wrong, but it's unlikely.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Rye said:
How quickly people forget that dragon quest is mostly an Enix driven game. Just because square merges with enix doesn't mean that Square is on board with every decision Enix makes.

I already said it would be cool if chrono were in it. I'm just being realistic and saying that it's almost a complete impossibility. I'd love to look back on this post and be happy I was wrong, but it's unlikely.
Eh?! Dragonquest is an enix project, I could have swore when it was dragon warrior it was square, well then, forget what I said.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Rye said:

Eh?! Dragonquest is an enix project, I could have swore when it was dragon warrior it was square, well then, forget what I said.

VgtPrncfllSyns

Smash Ace
Well, won't make a new thread but...

WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP MISSPELLING CRONO?

Play the game, it's a 5 letter name. The game is called CHRONO Trigger, but his NAME is CRONO.

Right... and with that sad, I'll be violent if Crono doesn't make it in.

Mephisto

Smash Rookie
I think his name is spelled Chrono in Japan, so I guess either is fine. I just want him in the game. :p

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Rye said:
There's no doubt that Nintendo and square were very buddy-buddy on the snes. At the end of it's life, however, Square broke off contracts and never produced a single game for the N64. Square has continually refused to produce titles for nintendo, excluding the Crystal Chronicles for the Game Cube. Why on god's green earth would they suddenly team up with a company originally was hell bent on censoring its games (on Snes when nintendo) ?

They won't. Kojima had to beg for literally YEARS to finally get snake in and I highly HIGHLY doubt any other company has even tried to get in.

I loved Chrono Trigger. It defined nintendo back in the early 1990's for me. I would love nothing else but to play the game style I love with a character I've loved, but you have to realize that it simply ISN'T going to happen.

Like others said, CC is way out of the question.
Kojima "begged" to include Snake in it, but Nintendo told him that he wouldn't be able to add because they were too far in the development process in SSBM to do so. Also, Nintendo is probably asking other companies for their characters to be added, not the other way around.

I do agree with you that Crono won't be in this, more people seem(not 100% sure about this) to want Geno in this than Crono, which is also owned by Square. I doubt Square will allow Nintendo to put in two major characters to the game, I also doubt that Nintendo would want two characters from 1 company.

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I dunno if Geno counts as a "real" Square character though.

Shuriken

Smash Apprentice
Geno should be Nintendo's, he was in a bloody Mario game ffs... He was also the most badass in it too. It would be nice to have both of them in it. I don't think there is even a slim chance of getting CC characters in SSBB, but since Chrono Trigger WAS such a defining game for Nintendo I would think some characters from it would get at least a bit of consideration.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Geno's not really a square character. He was meant to look like a clash of the two companies. He look's sort of like a wooden Link, but you can definitely see some Square influences in his design. No other Mario character looks anything like Geno, or Mallow for that matter. The fact that there were seperate minds at work is clearly evident.

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
Lavos as a SSBB boss.....?!

that's if Chrono Trigger characters get in.....

I've been thinking of a few bosses for SSBB....other than Master Hand, of course....

I think Crono and Magus (or Frog) would fit in perfectly....Marth and Roy were great characters....Magic and Swords (perfect combination)....it could also show off the graphic capablities of the Wii (attracts more people)

Mephisto

Smash Rookie
I don't think his list is an actual considering list, but rather just some characters he found to be interesting suggestions.

Volasko

Smash Ace
For sure need a chrono and magus character, magus is too perfect for smash, he has attitude and a deeiirrrrty sythe.... hell I even have the battle of magus ring tone on my phone hahaha

DSB

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we'll be able to vote for them if they make an English poll... Cause it seems a lot of people have forgotten the awesomeness of Chrono Trigger.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
Crono would kick a$$. He could use his flame sword, ice sword, and Illuminaire as a special.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
I wish people would stop getting their hopes up wishing for more than one character from a 3rd party franchise. It just won't happen. If you get a CT character, it'll be Chrono and no one else.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
Wouldn't it be funny though if nintendo pulled another fast one on us. Remember how everyone was crying Sonic, Sonic, Sonic. And then they come out with a big hurrah for their first third party character. Solid Snake

Right Now you've got all the fans requesting Geno, Geno, Geno. And then Nintendo announces. Nope, not Geno...Crono!

After All Chrono Trigger is one of the most celebrated games of all time to Not have a true sequel. [I don't care what you say, Chrono Cross was completely different]. And Crono would be even more guaranteed to get Square Fans to buy Brawl. Unlike Cloud, he's appeared on a Nintendo console and is definitely NOT overrated. Plus, Akira Toriyama designed him. and we all love Toriyama.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
Finally I found a Chrono Trigger thread. That has to be the greatest RPG ever made, and the best game ever on a nintendo system (if not the best game ever). Although its Squaresoft, it was on the SNES so its got a chance. I think frog would be the best character, but people would complain about the sword. So I think Magus and Ayla, because magus doesnt have a sword, and we need more female characters. Magus would also have a lot of magic. I dont think Chrono Cross would make it cause it was on the PS.

btw, i posted a frog moveset. Its kinda crappy because i started running out of ideas trying to make him original.

<http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=1663396&postcount=148>

tirkaro

Smash Champion
crono should DEFINETLY be in brawl. I'm one of the people who absoulutly HATE geno(I can never go anywhere without someone annoying me about geno. :dizzy: square should just sell geno to nintendo to make it all stop), and crono would be the better choice definetly.

Top Bottom