• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wolf Slide Up Smash

stevp

Smash Rookie
Im not sure if this has been discussed before but i would like to talk about this, in case other wolf players are not familar with this move. it is extremely unique and useful, but a little tricky to pull off. The way its done is by dashing, either way, and while dashing hit, down c, up, and grab at the same time. If done correctly it results in a slide into an up smash very quickly and almost always catching ur opponent off gaurd.

Sesshomuronay

Smash Lord
Its actually pretty useful if you can get the hang of it. Like you can fast fall short hop B-air into this at around 40% or so depending on the opponents weight if your good enough.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
It's not useless in the slightest. I think it's a nice chase (I think I said that ~5 times now -____-)

§witch

Smash Lord
It's not as useless as I first thought (I mainly thought this as an excuse for me to not learn it =p) but it's nothing ground breaking. It's a nice chase, but remember wolf's fastest way to move is a long/mid canceled woof flash.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
It can be DId out of.

Honestly I think ArcPoint is right. How often have you ever seen this move really do anything in an actual match with Wolf? I suppose it is nice to have as a possibility but it's not going to change any outcomes. If Wolf had an upsmash like Fox and Falco, then this move would be awesome.

Ebo!

Smash Apprentice
it's not useless at all people just dont expect it coming and fall for it alot

stevp

Smash Rookie
im split down the middle on this. i think that it is very useful when you do get a chance to use it, and its a good way to get a kill if they are at high damage because up smash kills reasonably well. However, its a little tricky to pull off and its easy to accidentally do a dash attack or a grab which would leave u stranded and prone to be combo or at least hit with something. It might be a little more trouble than its worth, but its still worth something.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
It can be DId out of.

Honestly I think ArcPoint is right. How often have you ever seen this move really do anything in an actual match with Wolf? I suppose it is nice to have as a possibility but it's not going to change any outcomes. If Wolf had an upsmash like Fox and Falco, then this move would be awesome.
It's harder to DI out of it than you think. Hell, you can DI out of a lot of attacks like ROB's/pikachu's downsmash and half of metaknigt's aerials...but those moves still catch people with all their hits. And no, at lower percents maybe like at 30-40%, I doubt snake can DI far enough for the boost smash to miss. I used this on a mario/falco player in my matches that are on youtube. And don't say he's a scrub caz he isn't.

Btw, how can you guys say it's useless. If someone is a little bit out of range of an f-smash and they are vulnerable what are you gonna do? Blaster them? Seriously guys... this move is one of Wolf's ace in the hole. Just because you don't implement it in your own game doesn't mean u should dismiss it completely.

im split down the middle on this. i think that it is very useful when you do get a chance to use it, and its a good way to get a kill if they are at high damage because up smash kills reasonably well. However, its a little tricky to pull off and its easy to accidentally do a dash attack or a grab which would leave u stranded and prone to be combo or at least hit with something. It might be a little more trouble than its worth, but its still worth something.
It's not tricky at all. Just practice it

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Boost smash is okay, there are times where it comes in very handy, but I think Castor is exaggerating its usefulness a little bit.

stevp

Smash Rookie
yea thats what i meant by tricky is that u gotta practice it a lot and u can still mess up. but i think it could either way. i can see good use in it, but i can also see that it could be problematic to some.

Fugu15

Smash Cadet
This is an amazing move that really allows you to keep your opponent on guard the entire time. It's a nice techchase, you can aim it to go thru them and be fairly safe. Overall a great move, the problem is that most cannot do it consistently enough to be able to depend on it. Sometimes there is a great opportunity, but you mess it up and get punished severely for it. Once you are able to do it right like 95% of the time, I think everyone would implement it heavily. I am not there yet, one day.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This is an amazing move that really allows you to keep your opponent on guard the entire time. It's a nice techchase, you can aim it to go thru them and be fairly safe. Overall a great move, the problem is that most cannot do it consistently enough to be able to depend on it. Sometimes there is a great opportunity, but you mess it up and get punished severely for it. Once you are able to do it right like 95% of the time, I think everyone would implement it heavily. I am not there yet, one day.
Doing it correctly isn't really the problem, I can do it right at least 75% of the time and I've never actually gone into practice and tries it, I've only tried it in matches. The Usmash can be DI'ed out of though, that's probably a bigger problem than being able to execute. In my opinion, it's pretty good as a chase an a mixup, and great for racking up damage, as it does around 18% I think, but should not be over-used. When the opportunity presents itself, use it, but don't force it.

Castor, I didn't realize how big that hitbox is, at the first hit it didn't really even get close to Snake!

teekay

Smash Journeyman
It's harder to DI out of it than you think. Hell, you can DI out of a lot of attacks like ROB's/pikachu's downsmash and half of metaknigt's aerials...but those moves still catch people with all their hits. And no, at lower percents maybe like at 30-40%, I doubt snake can DI far enough for the boost smash to miss. I used this on a mario/falco player in my matches that are on youtube. And don't say he's a scrub caz he isn't.

Btw, how can you guys say it's useless. If someone is a little bit out of range of an f-smash and they are vulnerable what are you gonna do? Blaster them? Seriously guys... this move is one of Wolf's ace in the hole. Just because you don't implement it in your own game doesn't mean u should dismiss it completely.

It's not tricky at all. Just practice it
I know how hard it is to DI out of, the point is it can be done. Rob's downsmash and MK's aerials come out much faster than this. Pika's downsmash is really easy to DI out of, my brother plays Pika and I do it to him constantly.

It's rare that someone is out of range of an fsmash but in range of this and truly vulnerable in good, high level play. Very rare. It doesn't hit as fast as fsmash and it is probably even more punishable, too.

Note that nobody said the technique is useless, just nearly so. I don't know about ArcPoint but I wasn't even saying people shouldn't bother to learn it. I think it is worth knowing. Just barely.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
This move really is good but I just can't see why we would use it with the side smash being so good on its own.

JCav

Smash Lord
dacus is not anything great, it is punishable when shielded and any disjointed hitbox can stop it.

marth jab for example

AssaultX

Smash Apprentice
The Slide Smash is a nice surprise approach, but its easy to intercept.

This move really is good but I just can't see why we would use it with the side smash being so good on its own.
The F-smash is considered by many experienced Wolf users to be a punisher, not as an attack in general.

The U-smash is also a punisher, but does 3% more damage when fresh (18%). Its also got that sexy diagonal, better than d-smash knockback if you hit it on the sides.

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
This shouldn't have even been brought up again since we had all settled on it being useful, and not useful in someways.

I agree with Castorpollux in the fact that it's very useful once you can use its potential to the fullest. It can be very random , in fact I use to mix-up my game playe a bit. At the same time, it's useless in some situations with are some what rare, except for maybe DI which in any case you have to be doing it most of the match for it to start becoming predictable, other then that it's good and bad.

Now stop bring up old stuff that's already been known about and discussed.

Ambient_Horizon

Smash Ace
Boost Smash is good tech but not the best. It all really depends on whether you have mastered it or not. It's not a tech that you can half-***. I find it really efficient in follow ups with D-Throw personally since you slide pretty far with it. I make good use of it along with canceled Wolf Illusions to keep the opponent guessing. Plus you don't really get too many chances to use U-Smash unless you're SHing your dairs on a grounded opponent.

Dv8tor

Smash Journeyman
Does this tech have to use down c? Can you use any direction on the stick or the A button?

castorpollux

Smash Champion
don't use forward c-stick caz you might stutter step f-smash if ur trying to do the boost smash out of a standing position

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
It's use is for punishing, and covering one option for a tech chase, two options if they're down by the ledge.

The move has to be really laggy, or you have to start the Boost Smash ahead of time in order for it to actually punish, because it doesn't start all that fast.

mith132

Smash Apprentice
I think that it is actually quite useful because it is great for playing mind games against your opponent. Throw it into the battle several times and it does wonders.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
as a wolf main i have used this move and the utilt alot.the two moves people dont seem to do enough.utilt goes through platforms and can lead to combos.usually unpredictable cause no normal wolf uses it.also at low pecent dacus can lead to bair or uair.also u can get lucky and get the angled upsmash that sends ur opponent directly towards the left or right rather then up which is so much more powerful and useful

Top Bottom