• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ The Wolf Matchup Center

Choice

Smash Champion
i do =/ everyone should leave falco alone. he's just trying to eat his bread.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I don't find Falco to be that bad :o But you can vote for any high-tier lol, just trying to narrow it down so we can actually decide which ones to tackle next.

Lucas wins for low tier btw, so only suggest for high and mid tiers :p

:059:

Choice

Smash Champion
noooooo, we should discuss the wolf mu. every knows they secretly want to.

Choice

Smash Champion
if we do use numbers i want to push for a number system out of 10. it'll allow for us to avoid situations like this:
personA:"oh i think its 60-40"
personB:"nah its more like 65-35"
*30 posts of debate*
to me, those numbers say the same thing just one of em allows for one side to feel better about themselves so then debating regarding which one is more accurate is simply a waste of time.

5-5 even
4-6 disadvantage
3-7 hard disadvantage
etc.
what we could do is discuss what each of those numbers mean exactly before we start discussing what the number for this mu is. possibly move that discussion to the main mu discussion thread? what disadvantage and hard disadvantage mean to me may not be the same as the next person. same with what my definition of even is.

imo this match up is 4/6 d3 favor.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Moved Choice's post, because even though I feel like the 5-point system works fine with the definitions in the OP (PLEASE READ THESE IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY) it'd be stupid of me not to poll everyone on it after two people brought it up :p

So. Question is: 5-point or 10-point matchup numbers?

Yes I know numbers suck, but it's the best thing for looking at-a-glance when you want to pick up another character for a matchup so it's pretty helpful to have out there :x My personal opinion is that the 5-point system mentioned in the OP is more effective, and that a fair amount of Wolf's matchups will fall in-between values of the 10-point system (ex. Snake... 5:5 might be a bit of a stretch, but 4:6 means he's as bad as D3... where's the middle ground ;___;).

Choice

Smash Champion
5 point system inherently makes more discussion on the numbers though. also when do you ever realistically play out 100 matches? If a character really has advantage should it not be seen over the course of 10 matches?

Kinetic

Smash Apprentice
Why do we play sets as best of 3? Shouldn't one game be enough to determine a winner?

:3

I don't see why we don't. That sounds hardcore. One set is for real men imo. The japanese do it, and they are fierce as ****.

Also, JJ brought a good point up about matios (I just invented that) last night on xat. Does 4:6 mean D3 wins 6 out of 10 games, or 6 out of 10 sets? Like...If its 6 out of 10 games then 4:6 is actually a pretty bad disadvantage, you only have a 35% chance to win a set.

Gah777

Smash Lord
I think we should be on the 1 point system, like the Pika boards.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Why not just use the big five? Heavy Advantage, Advantage, Even, Disadvantage, Heavy Disadvantage? Is a number system super necessary? (Hi Wolf mains!)

Gah777

Smash Lord
Why not just use the big five? Heavy Advantage, Advantage, Even, Disadvantage, Heavy Disadvantage? Is a number system super necessary? (Hi Wolf mains!)
nononononono. This oversimplifies things. Things need to get way more complex. I am going to propose a .5 point system. Some matchups may be extremely close but give a slight percent to one character. For example: Pikachu Vs. Wolf. One could say it's a 55-45 match in Wolfs favor, when in reality it is a 56.5-43.5 match in Wolfs favor. You see what I mean?

Sarcasm btw. I totally agree with the "Big Five". Also, hi.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
nobody can counterpick mk, mk can counterpick everyone

therefore mk has an advantage over every character in a game (set wise)

Choice

Smash Champion
yea thats true. its so gay how mk's just ban neutrals. neutrals shouldnt be bannable =p

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
**** MK. But matchup ratios should take stage choices/CPs into account, they're pretty important :o Auto-win on a certain stage for a matchup that's 60-40 on every other legal stage seriously helps out the matchup by statistically making it 64-36 the other way :3

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
It means 40:60 on every stage but 100:0 on your counterpick.

One game is already an instant win. You only need to win one of the other two games. .4 + (.6*.4) gives you a 64% chance of winning the set, hence 64:36.

:3

Choice

Smash Champion
you just made that up. but i like it, you'll do well in college.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Nah dude, trufax. Don't make me spell it out for you :p

Not that anyone has a 100:0 matchup on any stage (or at least not when Wolf is involved), but just for the sake of example. Counterpick stages are important :3

Choice

Smash Champion
ok, lets see here. i've never taken statistics so i'm gonna be coming up with all this math from scratch so if anything is like "wtf?" its caz i didnt know what i was actually supposed to do.

let us calculate the probability for "you" to win a 2/3 set of super smash brothers brawl wii edition.

all the following is given as true:
-sets are won by being the first to win 2 games.
-you have a 60% chance of winning every game
-if you lost the previous match, you instead have a 100% chance of winning a game (i think this is what you're saying)

in 100 sets, game 1 you win 60 times and 40 times lose.

Now lets look at all the sets where you won game 1.
-Of the 60 sets you won game 1, game 2 you win 36 times and lose 24 times. (sets won so far 36/100)
-Of the 24 sets you lost game 2 after winning game 1, game 3 you win 24 times and lose 0 times. (sets won so far 60/100)

Now lets look at all the sets where you lost game 1.
-Of the 40 sets you lost game 1, game 2 you win 40 times and lose 0 times.
-Of the 40 sets you won game 2 after losing game 1, game 3 you win 24 times and lose 16 times. (sets won 84/100)

so then shouldn't that be a match up ratio of 84-16?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
ok, lets see here. i've never taken statistics so i'm gonna be coming up with all this math from scratch so if anything is like "wtf?" its caz i didnt know what i was actually supposed to do.

let us calculate the probability for "you" to win a 2/3 set of super smash brothers brawl wii edition.

all the following is given as true:
-sets are won by being the first to win 2 games.
-you have a 60% chance of winning every game
-if you lost the previous match, you instead have a 100% chance of winning a game (i think this is what you're saying)

in 100 sets, game 1 you win 60 times and 40 times lose.

Now lets look at all the sets where you won game 1.
-Of the 60 sets you won game 1, game 2 you win 36 times and lose 24 times. (sets won so far 36/100)
-Of the 24 sets you lost game 2 after winning game 1, game 3 you win 24 times and lose 0 times. (sets won so far 60/100)

Now lets look at all the sets where you lost game 1.
-Of the 40 sets you lost game 1, game 2 you win 40 times and lose 0 times.
-Of the 40 sets you won game 2 after losing game 1, game 3 you win 24 times and lose 16 times. (sets won 84/100)

so then shouldn't that be a match up ratio of 84-16?
Wait... Only chance of losing the set is losing games 1 and 3, which is .6*.6, right?... so... what? @__@

If you win game 1 (.4 chance), you effectively won the set. If you lose, you automatically win game 2 so it's lose game 1 * win game 3, which is .6*.4, giving you a total win of .4 + .24 = .64

64:36

You messed up by starting with we win 60 of the 100 first games :x

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think for the ratios it would be best to take the "out of ten" system because it has more practical application than any other ratio and it's the most useful one out there. The rest is too arbitrary to be useful and can be misleading, especially the distinction between stuff like 60/40 and 55/45.
Quoting for emphasis.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
[collapse=Matchup ratio descriptions]50:50 - Even
Very even matchup. Definition should be fairly obvious.

55:45 – Slight Advantage
No character has a true solid advantage, but one has seemingly better/easier tools,
or one character profits more from winning a rock/paper/scissors guessing game.

60:40 – Advantage / Soft Counter
One character has clearly better tools in the matchup.
However, the other character does have responses him,
and the matchup is still winnable through outplaying the opponent
or out spacing his tools and countering with the weaker ones well placed.

65:35 - Counter
One character has options that shut down the other's options.
Counterpicking should be considered, but it's not completely unwinnable,
but rather simply requires one player to far outplay the other.

70:30 – Hard Counter
Something about the character in the advantage completely shuts down
the other character. Counterpicking is heavily recommended -
or rely on them not knowing the matchup and you knowing it incredibly well.

Anything past 70:30 – No. Just, no.

Pretty much unwinnable matchups like Dedede vs Donkey Kong.[/collapse]

Quoting for emphasis as well :x

It's not that I don't understand your point, and it definitely helps when you want a very clear-cut matchup definition, but... some things are in between, y'know? :x And I just really feel that Wolf has a lot of matchups that waver in the 55:45 range either way, but putting it as even or 6:4 would simply be wrong :urg:

Matchup numbers are stupid. In the collapse stuff I posted, want to just use even, slight advantage, advantage, counter, strong counter, and ****? If that helps out somehow, idk X_x

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
And I just really feel that Wolf has a lot of matchups that waver in the 55:45 range either way, but putting it as even or 6:4 would simply be wrong :urg:
How is it "wrong" though? It's only wrong by your definitions, which I don't like because they are too arbitrary to be a helpful guideline imo.

Choice

Smash Champion
oh wait so you're saying you have a 40% chance of winning on every stage but a 100% chance of winning on your counterpick.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
Jonny Jenq 5:41 am
.4*.4+.4*.6
+
.6*.4
tahts the probability
of you winning
if u have a 100% on ur cp
if ur 40:60
so if u have a 100% win on a cp
but 40:60 everywhere else
u actualyl have an advantage
how ironic is that?

Attendre79 5:42 am
16+ 24?

Jonny Jenq 5:42 am
okay

+ another 25?

this is how you do the probability

yes

okay here ill explain

oh ok

Jonny Jenq 5:43 am
if you win a set
there are only a certain number of combinations to do that
win win

Attendre79 5:43 am
mhm

win lose win
lose win win
right?

yea

probability of win win
is .4*.4

mhm

probability of lose win win
is
.6*1*.4
1 because its ur 100% cp

yea

and lose win win
is
.6*1*.4
woops
win lose win
is
.4*.6*1
and you add them all together
to create the event that you win the set

Attendre79 5:44 am
ic ic ic

Jonny Jenq 5:44 am
so if you have a 100% win on a cp
but 40:60 everywhere else

Attendre79 5:45 am
so what he was trying to say then was like you can swap a 40-60 into your favor?

Jonny Jenq 5:45 am
u actually have a 64:36 advantage
yes
lol
to win the set

Attendre79 5:45 am
man ok so mk has pretty much a 100% on so many characters

Jonny Jenq 5:45 am
exactly
so HE HAS AN ADVANTAGE
OVER EVERY CHARACTER

Choice

Smash Champion
we should come up with 3 numbers for our match ups then.

chance of winning on starter stage
chance of winning on their CP
chance of winning on our CP

it'd be more accurate and i'd actually be happy with what the mu ratio says. =p
i had forgotten why i really hated mu ratios but now i do. its cuz they only take into consideration neutral stages which isnt the entire set. i know no other boards do this, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be the pioneers.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
we should come up with 3 numbers for our match ups then.

chance of winning on starter stage
chance of winning on their CP
chance of winning on our CP

it'd be more accurate and i'd actually be happy with what the mu ratio says. =p
i had forgotten why i really hated mu ratios but now i do. its cuz they only take into consideration neutral stages which isnt the entire set. i know no other boards do this, but that doesnt mean we shouldnt be the pioneers.
wolf? pioneers?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

D

Deleted member

We should go with what most of the other character boards use, so when they update the overall MU chart there will be less confusion.

And I think it would be dumb to have Wolf only with even or 60:40 MU's. We need that "5" in there.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
How is it "wrong" though? It's only wrong by your definitions, which I don't like because they are too arbitrary to be a helpful guideline imo.

Hm. You win this one :x lol. I'll say something about this at the end of this post.

wolf? pioneers?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Hey :< lol

I actually like that idea. And then we could average it out for an "overall" matchup ratio? Which honestly, if we were doing that, I would be significantly more comfortable adopting a 10-point scale for each matchup (although I'd still want to mathematically calculate an overall average :p). We could even break down the stages into groups for what the ratio will be around on a certain set :o Thoughts?

Like this kinda, except with common neutral stages bolded or something:

STAGE RATIOS

4/6 - Halberd, CS, FD
5/5 - SV, RC, Lylat
6/4 - Norfair, Japes, Brinstar
etc.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
that seems like a lot of work but if everyone is willing to consider all the factors that'd go into a wolf MU then it would probably help us create a much more detailed and therefore accurate ratio on how he matches up.

i think we should give it a try for sure, lazy as we are

Top Bottom