• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The WFTGD: How About Some Deep Breathing?

Nicky_Poo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NickyP00
Oh... >.> I suppose the normal one will work just fine then, unless there's some secret extra buff to "Sideways Hooping" like better damage or KB.
I don't think it does anything…it's probably just to make up for her lack of horizontal movement in the regular UpSpecial. But the giant soccer ball sounds hilarious

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Yeah, she's pretty awesome.

I hope they patch in some shield stun because wow. It's a little bit ridiculous with none.
The shieldstun actually isn't as much of an issue competitively in the full game as it is in the demo due to the options we have now out of run. The demo shieldstun looks worse than it is because of the character choice they gave us. Full game has lots of safe-on-block options, including a good majority of dash attacks now. And the hitstun is actually pretty good, because I have seen a lot of characters with reliable kill-setups out of high percent combos (based off 40+ hours of ZeRo+Vex 1v1 footage. I haven't worked in a week haha).

On the note of WFT being good:
1) We have 2 confirmed, 1 not-yet-confirmed-but-looks-to-be-a spike/meteor options
2) A fast-charging projectile that heals you (plus one that doesn't)
3) A damage+knockback-buffing move that heals you (and bucket brakes all aerial momentum)
4) An auto-canceled nair that combos like mario's utilt
5) Epicly disjointed tilts and aerials
6) A decently fast 3% pummel
7) Oh, and a jab that plants you in the ground (probs our go-to OoS option)

This character is viable.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I want to say something meaningful about WFT but I'll just settle with some info for you SICKOS out there. there are multiple trophies of yoga positions to peruse at your leisure!

But no seriously I like how WFT feels, I really need to try her out more. so many characters to try!

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
^ Wait, do you mean like we could achieve DIFFERENT trophies for beating Classic? Or do you mean like just findable trophies of many yoga poses? If it were the first, that'd be really cool!

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
^ Wait, do you mean like we could achieve DIFFERENT trophies for beating Classic? Or do you mean like just findable trophies of many yoga poses? If it were the first, that'd be really cool!
Nah, the latter. Classic trophies are basically 3D models of the reveal art (and by extension the same poses used for amiibos).

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
What are the properties on Wii Fit Trainer's Down-B/B move? Do they heal for real? Can you stack Down-B?

Nicky_Poo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NickyP00
What are the properties on Wii Fit Trainer's Down-B/B move? Do they heal for real? Can you stack Down-B?
A successful DB can heal 2%, and as stated above, it powers up moves for a certain time. A fully charged Sun Salutation heals 1% upon release, regardless of whether or not it connects with the opponent.

Ah! So much potential! It's nice to finally see a decent WFT. I don't know if they meant to, but using the Soccerball as a midair delay and then using BAir was a good strategy. They timed their jumps well after MK escaped from the pitfall and followed up with the UAir, guess they weren't sure if they had time to use a smash attack.

Last edited:

DJ Arcatek

Smash Champion
I'd just like to point out that WFT vs DHD is HARD. Her Ftilt and Fsmash go right over his head, so a lot of her limbs (hitboxes) are hard to come into contact with his hurtbox. Not sure if anyone has played yet, but this MU is buns.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hello Wii Fit Mainers!
While I don't have the Japanese version of the game, I do have the demo and now I'm reading the tips.
According to the tips, WFT's Soccer Ball can be stopped by shielding before you hit the ball. :4wiifit:

I dunno if this is known already, or if it's useful, but I decided to share it anyway.

EDIT: Another WFTip appeared:
USmash has invincibility frames just before the attack.

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I guess it would be a good idea for the duck hunt match to use down smash and for general play while dodging possibly get her upsmash ready so it can snipe limbs because of its invincibility

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I've not really been in the loop with Wii Fit Trainer but I've noticed that her jab combo doesn't always bury the opponent in the ground all the time anymore? Was this always the case or is this a change in the full version?

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I've not really been in the loop with Wii Fit Trainer but I've noticed that her jab combo doesn't always bury the opponent in the ground all the time anymore? Was this always the case or is this a change in the full version?
From what I've seen, it seems to only not plant them into the ground when the opponent is in the air. Otherwise, it always plants them into the ground.

Last edited:

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
I think you need to land all three hits, and the enemy need to be on the ground, if one of those random tips is to be believed. Hopefully someone could test it?

Only took three minutes to get it to show up. I hope these are sorted in the main game.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I found someone who's posted a bunch of videos of Wii Fit Trainer play.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ArcanistN/videos

From what I've seen there, the rule generally seems to be that as long as your opponent isn't in the air, you'll plant them in the ground upon the third hit.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Only took three minutes to get it to show up. I hope these are sorted in the main game.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem they are.

Testing it out in practice (1/2 speed + L button ftw), I saw
1) It works if they're on the ground by the 3rd attack. Because it normally juggles them, consider waiting a split second for them to get on the ground if you want to bury them.
2) You can hit them with only the last part of the attack and it will still bury them. Though distance seems to play a slight factor in it, there were times when I hit them far on their "sides" and it didn't plant them in the ground.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Just watched those WFT vids posted by Carrill. Is it just me, or do those invincibility frames on Usmash seem really good. Also, DB + SS seems decently powerful, and a quick DB is quite quick.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I found yet another Wii Fit Trainer match. This one's probably some of the best play I've seen yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlfwHqrEuP4&list=UUbr6TI0Mujw2iFAQE4R8yrQ

The only thing that concerns me is that no one in the video knew what her Down B did aside from the actual WFT player. It kinda shows that while the competitive community is doing a decent job at finding characters with good potential (like Bowser, Shiek, and Zero Suit Samus) other characters are being ignored. :(

Nicky_Poo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NickyP00
what concerns me is that he couldn't connect DB. I don't mind that people don't care about WFT, I hate using characters that everyone else uses, but I do wish someone would do a proper evaluation on her moves

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
I really enjoyed playing Wii Fit Trainer in the Japanese version. I think I played her twice?

This is all from first impressions:

*Wii Fit Trainer seems very good and definitely a viable tournament character. She will likely not be played much due to more popular characters, but she is definitely a sleeper choice.
*WFT Aerial game is really strong and her moves are a lot faster in comparison to most of the cast. You can typically do Multiple aerials in 1 full hop.
*WFT is unique in the fact that some of her moves hit in front and behind of her(jab, ftilt, fair, ect..)
*Her Special game is great as well. SS is similar to Samus's Charged B attack, but faster and it heals! Side-B flys at a weird angle, Down-B increases the knockback of all her attacks by a good amount(I saw her Upsmash + Down+B kill Bowser @ 88% in one of the videos). I kept messing up the Down-B until someone told me I could press B when it connects in the center. Up-B seems nerfed from the E3 Wii U build because I saw Lilo escaping w/ the move to the other side of the stage, and it doesn't seem to go as far. Custom moves have yet to be seen.
*Grab game is solid, however, I didn't necessarily see many clear follow-up plays. She has more of a control-based grab game where she can position opponent's in disadvantaged positions and charge her B-attacks or wait and punish landing options w/ her strong aerial game.
*Smash attacks seem to lack range, but seem pretty powerful. I didn't get a real chance to test this.
*I think she might struggle vs Projectile characters, but she has pretty good mobility to get around. Someone compared her to a weaker Captain Falcon, which I don't agree w/ but her aerial game is similar in a way I guess, lol.

Overall, I enjoyed playing WFT and can't wait to use her/him in tournament. I don't think her player-base will be large, but she is worth trying out and playing!

Last edited:

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I think you need to land all three hits, and the enemy need to be on the ground, if one of those random tips is to be believed. Hopefully someone could test it?

This has bugged me so I just went into training a bit.

And basically, it seems like all three hits need to connect and the opposing char needs to be on the ground when the last one hit. Because when I just spam a with the jab the opponent is usually not buried (I don't know why it sometimes does get buried!) but when I wait a bit before inputting the last input, they are always buried. And by waiting I'm talking about just a few frames, but you can't just spam a for it to work.

Last edited:

pichupal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pichupower
3DS FC
1997-0164-7116
This has bugged me so I just went into training a bit.

And basically, it seems like all three hits need to connect and the opposing char needs to be on the ground when the last one hit. Because when I just spam a with the jab the opponent is usually not buried (I don't know why it sometimes does get buried!) but when I wait a bit before inputting the last input, they are always buried. And by waiting I'm talking about just a few frames, but you can't just spam a for it to work.
Huh, so the hint was true after all. Thanks for checking this out!

WFT has so many quirks behind her moves from her hitboxes, tapping for her Up-B, timing for her DB, DB for healing and bufffing, you can apparently dodge or shield out of her Side B to not hit the volleyball, and know she needs all hits to connect on the ground in order to bury her opponents. It makes me even more excited to play as her, even if I would never get to competitive level play with my casual level skill.

This almost makes me want to start compiling hints if I get some free time, especially if they're not actually sorted in the main game. This mechanic seems like something that would've been hard to discover via testing, without knowing what to look for, especially considering WFT isn't all that popular right now. It's a shame, I think only Olimar is getting less attention then her, who I was also excited to play as again.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
This is by far the best WFT play I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeJrqjHKnCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ22X4qWlrY

The player really takes advantage of WFT's low crouch in avoiding projectiles. Also, they make a lot of good follow-ups to her A combo after planting Shiek into the ground. There was also one part where the player used Deep Breathing by the ledge to avoid Shiek's pursuit while getting the buff. Whoever they are, this is clearly a person dedicated to learning the character.

Also... this is off-topic but is anyone else REALLY afraid of Shiek in this game? The amount of pressure the Shiek player is able to put on WFT is ridiculous. Bouncing Fish looks really OP with its ability to edge guard and effortless kill. Also, the grenade lets them easily bait the opponent into rolling towards a kill move or shielding and getting grabbed.

It didn't look like an even match-up in any way... :/

Last edited:

Mithrilangel

Smash Rookie
@ Carrill Carrill

Well the shiek player is Captain Jack smash god of Japan.... I'd be afraid of any character he plays but yeah Shiek is strong.
Btw Thanks for posting these videos, just what I wanted.

Nicky_Poo

Smash Cadet
NNID
NickyP00
At 4:43, the player used the Soccball to bounce off to the stage, even though it didn't hit I thought it was genius

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I think that Deep Breathing will be an important part of Wii Fit Trainer, and espescially using it correctly.

And I see no reason to use it before opponent is at least at 100%. The effect is short and the damage increase is neglible so the biggest use is the increased knockback to get earlier ko's. And considering the recharge time I can't see it being viable more than 1-2 times a stock, maybe the other when you've knocked away the opponent and have some space. Otherwise, free time is probably best spent charging the Sun Salutation.

In the video linked above, I often spotted the player using Deep Breathing at the entirely wrong time and it was a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

GalaxyWaffles

Smash Apprentice
The end lag on wii fit trainer's smash attacks is crazy..

On another note it looks like she'll struggle against fast characters cause shiek was just running circles around the wft player

EDIT!!

Here's a vid of a wii fit trainer mirror match and its pretty good
スマブラfor3DS Wiiフィットトレーナーによる健康組手(のだめさん): http://youtu.be/VauoxspOFeE

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Gorls:

https://game8.jp/matome/14157

It's actually not very surprising, unfortunately. But I expect opinions will go upward at least a little once her metagame is developed, and her tricks are used most optimally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom