• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Wario "franchise"

FrozenRoy

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-1325-2408-7513
Hasn't the Wario Land franchise been dead and dormant since 2008?
Sure, but Metroid Prime 4 is supposed to be coming and Metroid Prime 3 was from 2007. Donkey Kong Country's last game was 1996 (or 1999 if you wanna count DK64) until Returns in 2010. I can think of more if I want, it isn't all too uncommon for old stuff to come back, especially given Wario overall has still been getting games w/ WarioWare.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I can safely say after playing it, Wario Land 4 is his greatest achievement

Quillion

Smash Hero
I still prefer the "get hit to transform" mechanics of 2 and 3 over 4. I know that 4 has a smattering of that, but I appreciate more that 2 and 3 centered on that.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I'll give 3 a shot at some point, i have the Gameboy app on my switch lol
It basically plays like 2
mixed with a metroidvania Approach so your starting moveset is a bit gimped but you get to unlock new sections of levels as you play!

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
If it makes everyone's starvation of the lack of Wario Land better I am making a Wario-like platform game, if your interested on more details you can ask

Quillion

Smash Hero
Would you guys like it if IntSys made a Wario platformer using the Get it Together in-game art style?

Personally, I'd just take anything that acceptably gets Wario back to platforming.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Would you guys like it if IntSys made a Wario platformer using the Get it Together in-game art style?

Personally, I'd just take anything that acceptably gets Wario back to platforming.
I think the next wario land game should adopt a cel shaded comic boom style, maybe with some visual flare as well

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the next wario land game should adopt a cel shaded comic boom style, maybe with some visual flare as well
You mean like Shake It? I love that game's art style, but by all accounts, detailed 2D sprites are more trouble than they're worth for developers. Cuphead's developers had to refinance their house for that game's art style IIRC.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wish Wario Land could come back but I am still hyped for the new WarioWare.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I may vastly prefer platformers for Wario like the Land titles and World, but it's nonetheless good to see a new WarioWare. And I love his new outfit!

Quillion

Smash Hero
I just realized: Wario's niche among the Mario franchise is to explore extreme weirdness that would be out-of-place even for Mario.

If Mario Wonder is ramping up the weirdness to breathe new life into the 2D Mario games, will there truly be no place for Wario platformers?

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I just realized: Wario's niche among the Mario franchise is to explore extreme weirdness that would be out-of-place even for Mario.

If Mario Wonder is ramping up the weirdness to breathe new life into the 2D Mario games, will there truly be no place for Wario platformers?
I don’t think Super Mario Bros Wonder is that weird, especially compared to Wario platformers. The aesthetic looks a little more dream-like and elephant mario is kinda weird but it’s not even remotely any weirder than what the Mario series had had before.

also that niche might be a part of why people enjoy the wario land games but I really doubt it’s the reason wario games are made, I don’t think Nintendo really pays much attention to that stuff when deciding if they want to make a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom