• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Waffle House (Video Thread)

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
The name was cool, sue me. Anyways, the Wolf boards needed a video thread so I figured I'd make it. You know the drill. Submit bracket, money matches, tutorials or whatever, just any cool videos featuring Wolf. Find a new trick? Make it to Grand Finals? Let your fellow Wolfs see for themselves! Critiques are open to anyone who feels they have something to add, if it's asked for. We're all here to get better. Make sure to use the video outline when you post, and I'll update as soon as I can.​
Alright wolves, show us what you got.​
PS. 2.6 only please!​

Videos (Gameplay)

GMaster171
-vs Peach (ShadowMaster47x) *2.5b

Rat
-vs Charizard (Metriod) *2.5b
-vs Falco (DSF) *2.5b
-vs Falco (Kels) *2.5b
-vs ZSS (Oro?!) *2.5b

SilentWolf
-v Bowser (Gimpyfish62) - Gameclucks Tournament (WFs) 1-5-13 *2.5b
-v Bowser (Gimpyfish62) - Gameclucks Tournament (WFs) 2-2-13 *2.5b
-v Charizard (Spartimus) - Gameclucks Tournament 2-2-13 *2.5b
-v DDD (Big D) - MiTH8 Tournament 2/9/13 *2.5b

-v Falco (blunted_object10) - MiTH8 Tournament (GFs!!) 2/9/13 *2.5b
-v Falco (blunted_object10) - MiTH8 Tournament (WFs) 2/9/13 *2.5b
-v Ganon (Brandondorf) - Gameclucks Tournament 2-2-13 *2.5b
-v Peach (Bladewise) - Gameclucks Tournament (LFs) 1-5-13 *2.5b
-v Peach/Diddy Kong (Bladewise) - Gameclucks Tournament (LFs) 2-2-13 *2.5b

-v Wolf (Meta) - MiTH8 Tournament 2/9/13 *2.5b
-v Wolf (Meta) $5 Money Match 2/9/13 *2.5b

Scythe
-v Bowser (Kirk) - *Tournament 12-29-12 *2.5
-v Bowser (Norm) - *Tournament 12-29-12 *2.5
-v Charizard (metroid) *Tournament 12-29-12 *2.5
-v DK (Strong Bad) Hype 3 Tournament 6-1-13 *2.5b
-v Sheik (Kels) Hype 3 Tournament 6-1-13 *2.5b
-v Wario (Vro) Hype 3 Tournament 6-1-13 *2.5b
-v Wolf (Rat) Hype 3 Tournament 6-1-13 *2.5b

I'll add videos as they come, & doubles if it's needed.

*Use this format when posting videos:
"URL - Player Name (Wolf) vs. Player Name (Character) - Tournament/Friendly/X

Example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEMdJMNYbGg - SinisterB (Wolf) vs. 'dazrin (Toon Link) - Friendly

Scythe

Smash Master

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
Man, Wolfs are getting it in against Bowser haha, nice vids. Updated OP. I can make a section for outdated videos if there's interest or whatever, current stuff would just be better imo.

ps. Good luck at Apex!!

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Yeah but how else are you going to get those sibe-b sweetspots? It's not true victory until you get at least one.

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
Gimpy, I loved your enthusiasm throughout the tournament. #hype #itcouldgoeitherway #etc

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Ok. Time to show off my less than stellar Wolf. Any critique is welcome other than "don't SD", as I think I can come to that conclusion myself. Other than that just enjoy the matches :)
All are GMaster171(Wolf) vs ShadowMaster47x(Peach) - Friendlies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiaVofPsBvM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zav4qR9NWc4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ik3QetMP88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k126cHLfNow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAIl-N1t_Ds

Also, b-throw->side-b is now a thing.

Jorgitis

Smash Rookie
It is simply blasphemous to not have Chillindude829's Wolf on this thread. We should be ashamed xD
Seriously though, after seeing this guy's Wolf, I have honestly given some thought as to how Wolf should be played effectively. Zoning and baiting with wavelanded blasters? Screw that. All out nonstop aggression might be the way to go. If you're a Wolf player, you NEED to see these matches.

That dumb Falco always giving you trouble, Chillindude has something to say about that. That bird ain't got nothing on Wolf's shine and speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eCknuHsqtg

Poor DK... nuff' said xD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f00vwui1VTk

Enjoy the matches :)

Scythe

Smash Master
i had already seen the stream archive before you posted them and there's not many people who post here. I'd be nicer if it were Silent Wolf himself posting them anyway. and yes he's pretty damn good, he definitely has the best anti spacie game atm.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Got some Wolf in tourny, unfortunatly not too much was recorded (and I didnt use too much Wolf anyway heh)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxyXVLHmRs&list=UUyDRvC43ZHQ8YusQi3lRKow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...=bnBZvLo2n-U&feature=player_detailpage#t=245s
critique pls? (other than dont get caught in corner obviously -_-)

Well for starters, your approach is reeeaaally predictable. You full hop Dair a lot in both videos. And you don't really mix up with your approaches either.
Try approaching with a SH Waveland Lazer forward so you have something to cover for you while going towards your opponent, instead of always wavelanding backwards. Depending if they shield or not, you could possibly run in for a grab. At least use SH Nairs more since it's a lot faster than doing full hopped Dairs.

I also noticed that your pressure game wasn't that good as well. I started seeing this when you were fighting against Snake (You really should be all over him and make sure he doesn't set up) Which is why Snake was giving you such a hard time since you were letting him set up. Abuse Nairs and waveshining whenever you can (multishining too if you can pull it off)

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Yea, I realized most if that as well when looking back. I'm not comfortable in tournies yet so my play tends to plummet when anything is at stake. I'm usually much smoother than those, but even then I'm not the most consistent haha.

I'll try to get some friendly sets up sometime, they would show how I can play better. thanks.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Does that guy play any characters that aren't fast? In other words, not Fox or Wolf?
Skipped to a Fox vid after a bit just to see if it was consistent, and yeah, he presses way too many buttons. It just looks like he gets a Shine or Grab and throws an aerial out in the general direction as fast as he can afterwards, not trying to optimize anything he's doing at all. In the neutral game, he's SH DLing and SH Dairing in the opposite direction of you half the time, and doing the same with Wolf too.
The most beneficial suggestion I could possibly give, is getting him to try working with a slower, maybe even more methodical character. He doesn't seem to have any apparent concern for efficiency whatsoever. lol
Needs to calm down!

GMaster, have some patience when approaching Sheik, bring in that Falcon flavor. Make sure of your hits, you don't have to go on a whim and hope DJ Dair's connect just to hit her. This is pretty gimmicky stuff that shouldn't work.

There's too much gimmick play going on from both Wolf's really. Side-B's from the edge, un-spaced SH aerials and Shines seemingly whenever suddenly being grounded 'near' the opponent, rather than when they'll actually connect.
Looks like parallels to technically sound but newer players with Falco in Melee. Just have some patience, don't do things you don't really need to do. :/

Blade-Fox

Smash Apprentice
Does that guy play any characters that aren't fast? In other words, not Fox or Wolf?
Skipped to a Fox vid after a bit just to see if it was consistent, and yeah, he presses way too many buttons. It just looks like he gets a Shine or Grab and throws an aerial out in the general direction as fast as he can afterwards, not trying to optimize anything he's doing at all. In the neutral game, he's SH DLing and SH Dairing in the opposite direction of you half the time, and doing the same with Wolf too.
The most beneficial suggestion I could possibly give, is getting him to try working with a slower, maybe even more methodical character. He doesn't seem to have any apparent concern for efficiency whatsoever. lol
Needs to calm down!

GMaster, have some patience when approaching Sheik, bring in that Falcon flavor. Make sure of your hits, you don't have to go on a whim and hope DJ Dair's connect just to hit her. This is pretty gimmicky stuff that shouldn't work.

There's too much gimmick play going on from both Wolf's really. Side-B's from the edge, un-spaced SH aerials and Shines seemingly whenever suddenly being grounded 'near' the opponent, rather than when they'll actually connect.
Looks like parallels to technically sound but newer players with Falco in Melee. Just have some patience, don't do things you don't really need to do. :/
I do not play characters that aren't fast usually. Try them every now and again and don't really like them. Hell, I just picked up Wolf and Falco not even 2 months ago just because of how slow they felt to me. Only reason I picked them up was because I like Star Fox. :p

I can definitely play more "efficient." That's not hard. Thanks for the advice.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
That's good then, playing slower (slowing down your game) with fast characters is something a lot of people... not 'struggle' with... but could use doing. lol
Good stuff, Star Fox rocks. One of our locals holds a lot of the world records for SF64 stuff. So beast.

Edit: The main thing is aerials and shines, don't Shine unless it will hit, it's a quick close-up move and shouldn't be something you whiff on often.

GMaster171

Smash Ace

Bolded part definitely describes me at this point. I'm still learning when to do things I can. This added with me being nervous in tourny is a horrible combination. I honestly didn't notice at the time I was being that obvious. Just gotta work.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
Actually it's reasonable for him to SHL with Wolf while approaching considering the fact that it covers him while he's approaching. I see no reason for him not to SHL approach against a Snake when his lazers stops Snake's nades, rendering them useless from afar. And I'm not sure what you mean about him using dairs/lazers in the opposite direction of me when he's using Wolf. In fact, he's just clearly approaching me with lazers.

Oooor he could just play more efficiently and not throw out random moves with the same character?
Picking up a new character simply because he needs to slow down is kinda absurd.

Using Side B from the ledge is actually a surprise tactic that came from brawl. It generally works against people who are unfamiliar with Wolf's ledge game. It's still useful against opponents that venture too close towards the ledge so I see no reason for him to do this unless he's constantly getting punished from his choices. And as for him throwing out shines, I also see no reason why he shouldn't since shine's are pretty safe to use (especially since it comes out frame 1 and he can grab/jump/wavedash out of it).

I also wouldn't call his gameplay "gimmicky". Otherwise he would be doing a lot of unreliable things that aren't safe.
He's safe when he needs to be and he covers his own options while playing against me in our matches. As well as this, he's being fairly aggressive with Wolf's rush down tactics. I barely see any gimmicks from Blade in the matches I posted in the thread.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Actually it's reasonable for him to SHL with Wolf while approaching considering the fact that it covers him while he's approaching. I see no reason for him not to SHL approach against a Snake when his lazers stops Snake's nades, rendering them useless from afar. And I'm not sure what you mean about him using dairs/lazers in the opposite direction of me when he's using Wolf. In fact, he's just clearly approaching me with lazers.
The lasering the other way thing was referring to Fox, and was simply a very defining way of showing how many unnecessary buttons he's pressing, likely very unconsciously, with Wolf as well.
True, Wolf lasers work well against immobile characters, Snake being the most immobile of all. There's reason for it, but if he does that, get him to use them effectively. That could mean a Dash-Grab or Nair-Shine-Grab or something like that. Otherwise he's just shooting them to get rid of projectiles and keep Snake in place, but not accomplish anything with them.
With Wolf, (and Fox) it's HOW he's doing stuff, not WHAT he's doing.
There's nothing wrong with shooting SHDL from across a stage, there is if he's shooting them in an ineffective way (the other direction)
There's nothing wrong with approaching with lasers to cover him, there is if he's not doing them/using them to cover something.

Oooor he could just play more efficiently and not throw out random moves with the same character?
Picking up a new character simply because he needs to slow down is kinda absurd.
It's actually a great way to force oneself into doing something entirely different, and break the unconscious habits quicker without putting too much strain on the brain.
I'd recommend everyone tamper with a character they're extremely uncomfortable with, as there's really no reason anything should be uncomfortable, and that's simply a deeply rooted mental volitional action that will need surfacing if they are to better themselves in that way.
If that makes sense, cool, if not, don't worry about it. haha

Using Side B from the ledge is actually a surprise tactic that came from brawl. It generally works against people who are unfamiliar with Wolf's ledge game. It's still useful against opponents that venture too close towards the ledge so I see no reason for him to do this unless he's constantly getting punished from his choices. And as for him throwing out shines, I also see no reason why he shouldn't since shine's are pretty safe to use (especially since it comes out frame 1 and he can grab/jump/wavedash out of it).

I also wouldn't call his gameplay "gimmicky". Otherwise he would be doing a lot of unreliable things that aren't safe.
He's safe when he needs to be and he covers his own options while playing against me in our matches. As well as this, he's being fairly aggressive with Wolf's rush down tactics. I barely see any gimmicks from Blade in the matches I posted in the thread.
As far as 'gimmick' goes, I would consider 'Something that generally works against people who are unfamiliar with it' to fit that definition pretty accurately. Wouldn't you? haha
If someone very well should be punished for something, and will be with a bit of time, it's really not something that should be done with any consistency. It has its moments, but these 'work now but won't work later' things are EVERYWHERE in EVERY Wolf game to date. At least of what I've seen from others.
There's a difference between 'doing stuff because it works when done' and 'making stuff work by how it's done' if that makes sense. One fades off, the other lasts and defines 'proper' inevitable play.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
My first double post on these forums, as a Quote instead of an Edit, not bad.

Yeah, he's doing well and all with what he's doing, but he doesn't accomplish much with what he's doing. Aggressive vs Effective.
A Wolf can Laser > WD Back, Nair > Shine > Fair, then throw an aerial out once connected, and chase them in the air with more after.
Or a Wolf can Laser > WD Forward, DD Grab when they shield it, then CG/Combo/Tech-Chase into an eventual Dair/Uair > Side-B.
Both are do-able, one is aggressive, one is effective.

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
The lasering the other way thing was referring to Fox, and was simply a very defining way of showing how many unnecessary buttons he's pressing, likely very unconsciously, with Wolf as well.
True, Wolf lasers work well against immobile characters, Snake being the most immobile of all. There's reason for it, but if he does that, get him to use them effectively. That could mean a Dash-Grab or Nair-Shine-Grab or something like that. Otherwise he's just shooting them to get rid of projectiles and keep Snake in place, but not accomplish anything with them.
At the red-bold text: He was doing this. Multiple times. Minus the shine grab (I don't see Blade shine grab at all actually)
Every time Blade would approach with a laser, he would either Nair, Shine, Dash Attack, or go in for a grab depending on what I'm doing. He's not just holding me in place. He's using them to find an opening in my approach as well as using them to cover his own approach.

It's actually a great way to force oneself into doing something entirely different, and break the unconscious habits quicker without putting too much strain on the brain.
Not entirely.

One of my friends named Dr. Yogi plays with Mario, Falco, and Wario. However his bad habits include throwing out constant smash attacks, crouch cancelling frequently, and using jab > grab a lot.

Picking up a new character won't always force you to change unnecessary habits. People tend to keep bad habits in tact until they have have learned to stop doing them entirely. The only reason why someone should pick up unusual characters is if they want to understand more about said character. You will begin to see what to look for when you face an opponent who uses someone that you haven't played before but you've spent time playing as.

I do this a lot since I don't find myself playing against people who uses a variety of characters (I usually play against space animals and melee characters in tournies) And this has helped me dramatically.

As far as 'gimmick' goes, I would consider 'Something that generally works against people who are unfamiliar with it' to fit that definition pretty accurately. Wouldn't you? haha
If someone very well should be punished for something, and will be with a bit of time, it's really not something that should be done with any consistency. It has its moments, but these 'work now but won't work later' things are EVERYWHERE in EVERY Wolf game to date. At least of what I've seen from others.
There's a difference between 'doing stuff because it works when done' and 'making stuff work by how it's done' if that makes sense. One fades off, the other lasts and defines 'proper' inevitable play.
True, but I stand by what I've said about Blade's play-style on not containing a lot of unreliable play.

Yeah, he's doing well and all with what he's doing, but he doesn't accomplish much with what he's doing. Aggressive vs Effective.
A Wolf can Laser > WD Back, Nair > Shine > Fair, then throw an aerial out once connected, and chase them in the air with more after.
Or a Wolf can Laser > WD Forward, DD Grab when they shield it, then CG/Combo/Tech-Chase into an eventual Dair/Uair > Side-B.
Both are do-able, one is aggressive, one is effective.
The problem with what you've said is that he was doing what you've suggested to be as effective in the three matches I posted recently.
Again, I don't know how clear I can make this.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I understand you clearly, but do you actually think he's doing all of this optimally?
It looks to me like he's so busy that he's missing things, and too forceful with those things (what's been discussed) to do anything in an effective way. Mostly like he's playing Wolf as if it's Falco. Laser > Aerial > Shine, repeat.
There are too many Dthrows that don't go anywhere, too many Shine > DJ missed Dairs, too many Shine > Shine > Nothings... and not enough actual Wolf specific things. Whether it's his beast grab game or Side-B's or Nair drags/resets or Uair Falcon/Mario style juggles (into Side-B even) to be Wolf-specific play.
Hope that makes sense.
It's not bad or anything, and it's pretty normal (especially for people coming from Melee) given Wolf 'can' do that, but that's NOT effective WOLF play. Regardless of how it might work.
From your end, if you abused Up-B OOS against him more, half of his stuff wouldn't even work. From the Nair's through your shield into missed shines, to the laser/dash attacking way past you. This is all EASY.
If he takes a moment to insure he'll actually connect with things, or even just thinks clearly before doing things, he'll be more effective. Simple as that. This goes throughout the game too, not just approaches.
He's not being unreliable, (especially if you aren't dealing with it accordingly, no offense meant, but it's definitely a factor in the Snake matches), he's just playing ineffectively when comparing to how effective he easily COULD be. That's all, and it will likely come from slowing down to pay a little more attention to it. I'm interested in seeing how far he'll have come in 6 months. Guaranteed, he won't look anything like this when he's playing.

He's doing well, there's just always more, and all I can suggest is to look for that more 'here' where I'm pointing. Nothing more. :)

Regarding playing other characters.
There's a local Mario/Lucas/TL player that has a hard habit of Dash Forward > WD Back > SH Aerial forward. Sure, picking up a new character won't break those generic habits, but they at least have a chance of becoming a lot clearer. He recently picked up ZSS and ROB, and has taken more note to how ZSS has quick aerials and a high SH, so he's had to work more on timing his aerials, realizing he wasn't giving enough consideration. With ROB, he quickly developed the habit of Side-B Fair after a similar motion. Given this mix, he slowly has gravitated away from any predictable neutral-game aerial approach patterns entirely.
Hopefully that's understandable.
There are exercises I've gotten some of the best players in the world to do, and it's been extremely beneficial to them. This isn't like 'going on a guess' to see if it works. Done properly for an intentional reason, it works precisely for what is required.
Hope that made sense too. haha

For Wolf specific stuff, get him to try other grabs. He did a Bthrow > Side-B, and aside from that, I don't think I saw him use anything but Dthrow the rest of all the matches. Wolf has an incredibly diverse grab game, and he's limited himself right away with that. Wolf doesn't have to approach exclusively with Aerials, or Dash Attack on the ground. His DD/Pivot/Grab game is great, and accomplishes a lot. Especially against great defensive characters that punish approaches well. Nair might help his combo game, as he's 'dropping' a lot by simply using aerials that don't go anywhere, or too often, Shine > Jump Shine > unable to follow. He has some good stuff, and he WILL keep getting better and better, but he can get better a lot quicker if this is given some attention.
Hope that helps. It's really not complicated and nothing new, but I'm here to point that stuff out, otherwise what's a community for? :p

Edit: EVEN BETTER, and I should've mentioned it before.
Get him to play without lasers...
Everyone from decade-old Cactusman to modern newbie intellectuals have preached/benefited from that regarding Falco, and there's no better way to learn and develop the dynamics of Wolf's game than taking away something like that for while.

GMaster171

Smash Ace
Yea I cried pretty hard, I never expected to actually break the shield.
I shine grabbed to beat the shield, thought he jumped somehow and went to attack.

Next time.... next time tho.

(tho idk what I would have punished with other than a fully charged usmash rofl, I'm not confident I could get the shorten on side-b lol)

Scythe

Smash Master
Got a bunch of sets recorded at Hype 3. Feel as though I was playing pretty well in almost all of my sets. I'm still not 100% consistent but at least I kept my suicides to a minimum. Here you go
vs Sheik
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoq9m7t9rHk
vs Fox/ Falco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nkNXkH9Q4s
vs Wolf ( I need to work on this the most i think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVr8xiVeFs
vs Donkey Kong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PVDNj7kTBI
vs Wario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfHrUqx-lI4

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Top Bottom