• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The User Blogs section appears to be devolving to +1 post count posts.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Link to original post: [drupal=1054]The User Blogs section appears to be devolving to +1 post count posts.[/drupal]

See what I mean?

Denzi

Smash Master
lol :laugh: You're pretty much right; it's rather depressing.

+1 for Denzi (lol couldn't resist :))

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Whaaaaaaa?

Oh. That's what you mean...

Mith_

Smash Champion
Bleh.
I'm torn between solutions to fixing this.
Firus why did you disable your visitor messages? Because of the CPS?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Personally I'm thinking the best way to fix it is to disable post count here. It's kind of fun to be able to screw around here, but the post count is getting a little ridiculous.

As for my Visitor Messages, I thought I re-enabled that? Someone was annoying me a while ago so I stopped them but I thought I re-enabled them...?

Mith_

Smash Champion
Unfortunately disabling post count is really the only thing that would stop annoying +1 threads, but that won't take care of the people posting here instead of meet & greet problem.

I haven't tried to leave u a message in a while, lemme check.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It doesn't stop people from putting things in the wrong forum, no, but it's not really a problem if there's no post count. It's just rather stupid.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Despite hogging half of the User Blogs section for my own threads, I'd like to believe that my threads exist for more than +1 Post Counts.

But then again, one of them devolved rather quickly into 2 whole pages of Twilight-bashing, so I guess my good intentions were for naught.

Which brings up the question of what the purpose of User Blogs is actually for......

Admittedly, at least a third of my posts have come from the User Blogs section, but that's because I try to respond to each and every comment in my 13+ blog entries.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Everything went downhill after my a** thread.
I thought the Play SSBB Forever thread was the start of all the recent spamming in here.
Your a** thread didn't help mind you. :laugh:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The solution to this would be to make a regular here a mod.
But nah, I like the chilled attitude here.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Despite hogging half of the User Blogs section for my own threads, I'd like to believe that my threads exist for more than +1 Post Counts.

But then again, one of them devolved rather quickly into 2 whole pages of Twilight-bashing, so I guess my good intentions were for naught.

Which brings up the question of what the purpose of User Blogs is actually for......

Admittedly, at least a third of my posts have come from the User Blogs section, but that's because I try to respond to each and every comment in my 13+ blog entries.
I didn't say that all of the User Blogs is +1 Post Counts. But look; introductory threads, threads for a single picture, one-line-threads, most of which get one-liners in response...that's what most of the User Blogs is. Also, the User Blogs is inevitably reaching the point of being a forum in and of itself. Smash FREQUENTLY gets talked about in here when it could be better applied to one of the actual Smash forums. Introductory topics belong not here, but in the Meet & Greet forums RIGHT BELOW THIS. It's basically become a breeding ground for laziness because, rather than thinking about where to put something someone can just put it in here whether or not it belongs. I cannot count the number of polls that have come in here. Since when are polls blogs?

There are legit blogs in here, but blogs shouldn't constitute things that could fit in other forums. And if they apply to a certain topic but you know they wouldn't work in the forums because mods would lock it for being pointless or something...why does that make a person think it belongs here? Blogs should either consist of a person rant/complaint about something that you wouldn't post somewhere else, or a personal story, sharing of feelings, etc. Not a place so you can spam with pointless posts or use it as a "one-size-fits-all" forum.

I like the User Blogs, I just don't think it's headed down a very good path.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
Well I wasn't sure after my first thread whether or not to keep making threads on that same topic but on more specific things, or make them as blogs because I didn't want to clutter up the Tactical Discussion board. I ended up cluttering up the User Blogs instead.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I don't see why cluttering up the User Blogs is preferable to cluttering up Tactical Discussion if the topic could easily belong there...

CommanderCody08

Smash Apprentice
I always thought the meet and greet section was where you were supposed to work on you're post count.

That or the Roy boards.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
It says right under the Meet & Greet Forums that post count is disabled there.

Mardyke

Smash Journeyman
To be fair Firus, we're both guilty of this whether we intended to or not. :V

The best way to counter post-count boostage is simply to encourage the increase of the standard of post quality, and discourage one-liners. Moderation of the section is difficult, so it's ultimately down to the individual and how s/he is influenced by the environment.

In other words, my advice is that it'd be best if you thought before you post and put as much effort into it as you can. Casual one-line banter is, almost entirely, best reserved for profiles and Chats, not forums.

Cinder

Smash Master
*coughssbbIkemastercough*

And I'll admit, I'm guilty of it, too...

But it helps me cheer up after a hard day/event to point and laugh at the 09'ers' *********** XD...and trust me, I've needed that pick-me-up lately...

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
In all seriousness, I'm having a hard time with the definition of what a blog is, and I only say that because my current blogs are a mishmash of ridiculous opinion with a pseudo-intellectual take on how the subject impacts gameplay. I first started off with a thread in the Tactical Discussion board, and it didn't get locked and only one user got pissed.

The main reason I'm asking is because I'm going to make a thread/blog of the "Currently Discussing:" variety so that I clutter up neither the User Blogs nor the Tactical Discussion Board, and I'm not sure which one to do it in.

smashbros.maniac

Smash Cadet
I don't really see why people think that post count is a big deal...

I post TONS of stuff in the Meet and Greet Arena thread, and since it's in the Meet and Greet board, I don't get a post count +. But I seriously don't get why getting +1 is that important... On some forums, you only get the ability to edit once your post count is ridiculously high, but on here it doesn't matter.

Having fun on SWF > Being overly concerned about post count > Posting just to get +1

Mith_

Smash Champion
One way to make so that it will stop being a +1 forum is to increase the quality of the original post. Threads like this one shouldn't even be posted at all, and there are several threads in this section that could belong in another section (they'd get locked there, so in other words they shouldn't be posted at all either). Then you have blog's like Vyse's and Youko's that are actual blogs.

Mardyke explained it retty well imo.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
To be fair Firus, we're both guilty of this whether we intended to or not. :V

The best way to counter post-count boostage is simply to encourage the increase of the standard of post quality, and discourage one-liners. Moderation of the section is difficult, so it's ultimately down to the individual and how s/he is influenced by the environment.

In other words, my advice is that it'd be best if you thought before you post and put as much effort into it as you can. Casual one-line banter is, almost entirely, best reserved for profiles and Chats, not forums.
WE can stop it, but it doesn't stop people like MaxfireXSA or K-Dog244 from creating absolutely stupid blogs or a one-liner blog which is incredibly stupid and pointless, causing 70+ pages of two-liners. I won't say I didn't contribute to that thread and I won't say I didn't enjoy it, but that doesn't change the fact that it was full of pointless posts.

Except for in threads like that in here, I do think out my posts. I may have a rather large post count for my join date, but that's because I spend a lot of time on the forum, not because I spam mindlessly.

*coughssbbIkemastercough*
Yeah, that thread was really stupid. Especially the part where he was like..."I might be, how old's your brother?"

"Oh wait, I don't have a brother."

Huh?

No way.
Yes way.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=218738
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=214891
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219581
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219571
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219544
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219400
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219197

And that's just the first page.

My last few entries have been proper blogs.
I intend to keep it that way too.
My entries have been proper blogs, too (except for this one, but it wasn't a pointless spam thread either) -- at least, I would consider them that. But refer to the wall o' links above.

I don't really see why people think that post count is a big deal...

I post TONS of stuff in the Meet and Greet Arena thread, and since it's in the Meet and Greet board, I don't get a post count +. But I seriously don't get why getting +1 is that important... On some forums, you only get the ability to edit once your post count is ridiculously high, but on here it doesn't matter.

Having fun on SWF > Being overly concerned about post count > Posting just to get +1
I think my issue is more with the fact that people are getting constant, mindless, +1 post count posts than that they're actually aiming for them, as I'm sure they aren't.

I cared about post count when I first joined...I mean, everyone pretty much does. People don't judge you THAT much, but you look better with 1,000 posts than with 20 -- assuming you didn't completely spam your way there and seem half-decent when a person runs into you. But I don't care anymore. I will pay attention to certain post count #'s, like 3,333, and X,000. But I'm not trying to bump it up, it's not like I'm any more qualified for anything or any more respected if I have 10,000 posts as opposed to what I have now.

But yeah, I remember on the NSider forums how they had the senseless rule of getting more rewards like editing your posts the more posts you have. The title's incentive enough, but you TOTALLY encourage spamming if you give them more incentive to raise their post count. Not to mention you make double posting the only option for newbs.

One way to make so that it will stop being a +1 forum is to increase the quality of the original post. Threads like this one shouldn't even be posted at all, and there are several threads in this section that could belong in another section (they'd get locked there, so in other words they shouldn't be posted at all either). Then you have blog's like Vyse's and Youko's that are actual blogs.

Mardyke explained it retty well imo.
To be truthful, I think this thread has been one of them less spammy (at the least it's inspired some thought-out posts) blogs, so I'm not sure why there's such a huge problem with it. The original post's content isn't anything impressive or anything, but I thought the one-liner would have more impact than a long essay on how everything has gone bad with links to all of the threads -- I figured after I got replies, I would make up for it amply enough with replies to them.

Also, a lot of people have real blogs. The problem is that there's still only about a 3:1 ratio of real to spam blogs, which has a sufficient enough spam ratio to annoy me.

EDIT:...Even more spam.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=219729

This is why something has to happen. I'm sick of people posting stupid threads like this and then getting away with it.

Maybe this thread doesn't have a purpose, since I feel like I'm the only one who's truly bothered by the forum being spam-filled...

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
I agree.

I think the "Play SSBB forever" thread should be moved to the forum games. That way all those people who spammed in it would lose the posts they got from it and the people who don't care about post count wouldn't be affected.

That or just turn this room into a post count disabled area...

-:bowser:Bowser King

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
That occurred to me a while after I posted it. Sorry, I suck at detecting sarcasm.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Well, that might not be a bad thing.
Higher post count = More respect?
Not sure how it works.
+ 1 for useless post.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I actually brought this up in the Staffer Shack. We'll see how it plays out.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I really don't see the positives of having an added post count here, this place is crawling with spam.
And... I just added to it.
-shot-

smashbros.maniac

Smash Cadet
I agree with Colaya. SWF is just about having fun!
And some of those threads are pretty funny!
And if someone spams to get their post count up, people will notice.
And if they are on here just to spam, then they'll be gone in a week or two.
I don't think that this has to be taken so seriously.
Although, I wouldn't care if they disabled post count in the blog area.
But, IDK and IDC though... so peace out dudes and dudettes and keep being groovy! xD

Mith_

Smash Champion
omg no why did u do something about it we were just supposed to sit here in whine while you sat back and did nothing about it have you never played world of warcraft?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
This room either has to be moderated, brought down to no post count, or abolished. Making it just not count as a post would make people think of it as a spam zone. Perhaps a mix of moderation and post count not increasing would fix the problem, although if that doesn't work I can easily see the whole board going away. Gah, I sound way too serious there.

So...make actual blogs people, it's not hard to make a humorous blog if that's what you're looking for!

-and, the post count seems to be disabled =D

Mith_

Smash Champion
if this place was regularly moderated about 20-30 would get banned within the next week.

only place i go on smashboards now is here, light house and rarely media metropolis (i dont really care about brawl anymore.) im sure its the same for several others. but it would cut back on spam though. not necessarily eliminate it though.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Well, that might not be a bad thing.
Higher post count = More respect?
Not sure how it works.
+ 1 for useless post.
That's why people strive for a higher post count, but I'm not sure why it's better...SOME people will respect you more if you have a higher post count, and as I said, to a certain extent you do get more respect from a higher post count. Like, if I see someone saying something idiotic who joined years ago and has a moderately high post count, I'll be a little more surprised than someone who hasn't joined as recently and has a lower post count -- that mostly applies to Smash, though. But if someone has 1,000 posts or more, it stops really mattering to me. I always pay attention to what someone says anyways, but all sorts of first impressions are there and do matter to an extent.

Cool, it's good to know that the mods are thinking about this.

This room either has to be moderated, brought down to no post count, or abolished. Making it just not count as a post would make people think of it as a spam zone. Perhaps a mix of moderation and post count not increasing would fix the problem, although if that doesn't work I can easily see the whole board going away. Gah, I sound way too serious there.

So...make actual blogs people, it's not hard to make a humorous blog if that's what you're looking for!

-and, the post count seems to be disabled =D
You have a point about disabled post count maybe making people think of it as a spam zone, but the Forum Games and Meet & Greet forums haven't become that, really. I think the problem was that people realized that mods didn't pay that much attention to the forum and they realized that "Blogs" was loose enough that they could likely get away with a lot too -- and truthfully, it is fairly difficult to determine exactly what constitutes a blog. At first, it was kind of charming how it was free, but once people started to realize it existed more and that there wasn't a whole lot of moderation there, it turned into...well, this.

Also, post count is disabled? I'll test that now...

EDIT: Yay, it is. Awesome.

if this place was regularly moderated about 20-30 would get banned within the next week.
True, unless there were a Sticky with the rules implemented. A lot of people would still get banned, probably (since lots of people fail to read stickies), but it would turn around the entire forum quickly and teach people that they can't screw around here anymore.

only place i go on smashboards now is here, light house and rarely media metropolis (i dont really care about brawl anymore.) im sure its the same for several others. but it would cut back on spam though. not necessarily eliminate it though.
Yeah, pretty much the same for me except replace Media Metropolis with the Poke Center (and even then, mostly just The Custom Pokemon Shop). I go through interests in phases, and right now I'm not into Smash Bros. that much. Also, I've been pretty busy so I haven't had much interaction on any video game fronts.

Top Bottom