• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Unmentionable Match-Ups. [Week 2: Link]

etecoon

Smash Hero
ganon's dtilt is 10 frames, whether or not that's faster than potential reaction is pretty borderline IIRC, but another thing to consider is that ganon doesn't have any answer to shield, his side B or dash grab are easy to dodge or roll against on reaction. and he is very immobile so camping works well.

AMAZING link pic lmao

link has a decent camp game but I think snake outcamps him a bit, link can space you with zair pretty effectively though. link has poor recovery, bad options vs dthrow, and is sluggish and abuseable in the air, main things to take advantage of AFAIK

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
CP Orpheon or Rainbow Cruise. They both **** Link. In RC you can easily utilt in many parts of the stage when he predictably has to up b which can be punished with utilt, and utilt kills stupidly early at close top blast lines. Dair, grab and grounded up b are extremely easy to punish when missed, and sometimes even fsmash can be used to punish. I play a Link main very often and IMO his projectiles are slow and predictable (except that they block Grenades and Mines), but Zair is very annoying. I could even reliably gimp with nair or bair.

IMO 60/40 or 65/35 in neutrals, 70/30 in RC and 75/25 or 80/20 in Orpheon, but it's even if you don't know the matchup.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
CP Orpheon or Rainbow Cruise. They both **** Link. In RC you can easily utilt in many parts of the stage when he predictably has to up b which can be punished with utilt, and utilt kills stupidly early at close top blast lines. Dair, grab and grounded up b are extremely easy to punish when missed, and sometimes even fsmash can be used to punish. I play a Link main very often and IMO his projectiles are slow and predictable (except that they block Grenades and Mines), but Zair is very annoying. I could even reliably gimp with nair or bair.

IMO 60/40 or 65/35 in neutrals, 70/30 in RC and 75/25 or 80/20 in Orpheon, but it's even if you don't know the matchup.
RC is no where near a bad stage for Link. In fact it is Link's best stage. Link doesn't predictably up-b on that stage.

55:45 IMO

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Low ceiling means Snake utilt is three times as good, he dies early in those parts no matter how heavy he is (hitstun cancel comes out too late, which makes him unable to use his incredibly quick fast fall) . I've played a good Link main in RC very often and I've never lost to him in RC, but have lost many times in neutrals. Stop saying it's a good stage for Link (at least against Snake). His lack of recovery is a very bad attribute there, he in some parts gets barely to the other part, where you can do almost anything to him (it's NOT a grabbable ledge there, which doesn't matter to Snake, but hurts Link). Tell me after playing a good Link.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Why does everyone act as if Link player are dumb?
Do any of you even know about Link's Meta-Game....like how to recover w/ him right, Spam right, etc.?
Well, I do.........and I'm very sure this is 55:45. At most 60:40, but I doubt it is 60:40.

Darkshadow7827

Smash Lord
Can't say much - never played a link main. I thought the MU ratio would be greater than 55:45 though. As SuSa would say, those 5 pts are just BS points for the most part. But what do I know, I've never played a competitive link. Also, Snake outcamps Link right? I've heard arguments for both sides :/

Edit: It just seems like it's easier to shield link's projectiles since they're slow and his bombs are obvious when cooked.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
Can't say much - never played a link main. I thought the MU ratio would be greater than 55:45 though. As SuSa would say, those 5 pts are just BS points for the most part. But what do I know, I've never played a competitive link. Also, Snake outcamps Link right? I've heard arguments for both sides :/

Edit: It just seems like it's easier to shield link's projectiles since they're slow and his bombs are obvious when cooked.
No Snake doesn't outcamp Link, they're equally good at camping. A lot like Olimar vs. Tink. Yes, Link's projectiles are all PSed except his bomb his bombs are much harder to PS.

-Ran

Smash Master
Seems like Link isn't getting much love. =/ I'll have to write something big in a bit about him. I've been very sick for the past four days. q.q

I really think it's a 55:45 Snake

Both Snake and Link can camp well BUT Link has BETTER air games than Snake. I don't know a way on how to edgeguard Link because it's HARD. I never tried edgeguarding Link with Grenades though and the only attack I know that can be pretty reliable enough is the F-smash (Which I never trust). His bombs O_O, it can distract Snake's grenades. Gale boomerang can distract Snake too since it can you know..... Negate Snake's grenades or pull/push Snake's grenades back at Snake.

Don't underestimate Link seriously.

-Ran

Smash Master
Really, this thread was made first. Do you see me posting your thread that it will take "traffic" away from this one? Furthermore, a community should be capable of discussion of more than just one topic at a time.

Underload

Lazy
It's the exact same thing as having two matchup threads. The regular matchup thread is going to be discussing low tier matchups anyway, so why have this?

Besides, the old matchup thread was up for over a year, and you STILL made this! And you're trying to put blame on me?

-Ran

Smash Master
There's no reason that a community cannot discuss two match ups of different tiers at the same time. It will take your thread months to get to the Low Tier match ups.

Stop being a child before I lose further respect for you.

Underload

Lazy
My, aren't you high and mighty. If you lose respect for me just showing a few facts, I don't know what to make of you.

Oh wait, I'm supposed to be childish, right. YOU MAD

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
For those of you that don't know, a while ago, the Link boards got in a fight with one of the mods (Buzzsaw/LolBuzz) and most went to AiB, so the majority of the community is there. They also have their own matchup thread on AiB here.

Here is the matchup according to the AiB Link boards:

AfroTwist BlueberryPie said:
Match-Up Discussion #12; Snake

55:45 Snake
Arguable for 50:50

Links Advantages

Link's projectiles make approaching very difficult for Snake at times and rack up damage fast.

All projectiles stop his best approach, his DAC or Mortar Slide.

Link's KO power can KO Snake earlier then some other characters. Dair does a very good job at KOing Snake.

Zair is very good at keeping Snake away from you due to his size. It also sets up for a few combos. Zair>Dash Attack/DAC/Grab.

Snake is very easy to juggle due to a very poor aerial game.

Snake doesn't have a lot to gimp you offstage with.

Link can arguably out camp Snake.

Even Snake may have a hard time KOing Link due to his weight and excellent DI.

Very easy to punish his mediocre recovery.

Snake's Advantages

Powerful tilt attacks that are abused/spammed often.

Above average projectile game.

Just about everything Snake has can kill.

DAC makes for an excellent approach.

Link cannot reliably grab Snake out of his cyhper to gimp Snake.

Overall better KO potential then Link.

-Lawz Input-
Snake is a powerhouse. his tilts have insane range (ftilt and utilt) and deal lots of damage. he is a very slow character and i'm pretty sure Link can outspam him. Snake's recovery is decent, cypher including the C4 detonation. he can only have 2 grenades at a time so it may not be as hard to get around. he can also plant mines but boomerangs can just detonate them from far away. up close Snake will probably win. both his ftilt and utilt have broken range and his jabs have very good knockback so expect to get knocked around by those a lot. Snake can do things with his down throw such as tech chasing which comes in handy for him. his sliding mortar isn't the worst thing either since throwing a boomerang can knock him out of it, and if you're above him a simple nair can go through the mortar itself.

Now when facing Snake zair works pretty well against him since he is a very tall character. he's also VERY heavy so he can be juggled as well. this also means that he is pretty bad in the air. his moves are slow although pretty much all his aerials can deal a formidable amount of damage as well as send you flying. Snake being a heavy character will take a while to kill. he can easily kill you with utilt pretty easily. now being as heavy as he is you can juggle him easily and jab cancels work well on him too. offstage isn't that bad against Snake but expect to be edgeguarded by things such as the mortar.

zair, projectiles, and jabs will be the best options in this match. Snake being a heavy character makes him easy to juggle, easy to zair and easy to spam. but this also means he will take a while to kill especially if they have good DI. he can kill with his tilts which have broken range. if Snake gets too close, zair him. if he powershields it expect to be grabbed or get beat by tilts. if you shield his tilts punish with grabs or jabs whether you just do A,A,A for spacing or if you jab cancel and/or juggle him to build up damage. if you catch Snake recovering low then punish him because it's his fault for being stupid. if he C4 jumps then dair him if he flies high enough in the air. Snake is extremely vulnerable when he recovers so find a way to punish him if he gets too close to the stage.

It's in Snake's favor 55:45 or 60:40 at worst but still in his favor.

-KirinBlaze Input-
I definitely think this is even.

Link CAN out camp Snake. Snake cannot jump around the stage continuously dishing out projectiles like Link can. 2 of Snake's projectiles are stationary (The mine being SO easy to get rid of.), and he can only have two grenades out which are easily avoidable and take time to detonate. His FowardB is slow and leaves him open and easy to avoid. Link's Zair poses as a very big problem for Snake due to his height so Snake cannot effortlessly approach and Ftilt away unless he feels like power shielding it every singles time which is unrealestic. Arrows, Bombs, Zair, boomerang, these ALL stop Snake's best approach option, his DAC. RBS destorys his DAC, hell just even THROWING a bomb owns his DAC. Snake doesn't have much on Link offstage, mostly you can just expect time QCEH's from him, just toss a GaleRang or bomb and kick him back on. Link can KO Snake a lot better then some of the characters in this game. Jab cancels destroy him. Link can grab him out of his Ftilt so baiting him to Powershield through your projectiles into this is very good against him. Snake is garbage in the air and has a decent juggle game against him. Link can PUNISH the balls off of Snake if he slips up and recovers low, he eats Ftilts, Nairs, and Bairs and quickly racks up damage. Dair owns the common Snake players who AD when coming down to the stage or out of their cyhpers.

This match-up is 50:50 or 55:45 Snake at worst. I personally believe it's 50:50.

-DingDing Input-
Sry guys, but I'm gonna agree with KirinBlaze on this one. It's definitely a 50:50 matchup, IMO, mainly for reasons Kirin listed above.

As a side note: Snakes that try to DACUS link get owned...only if the link expects it and retaliates with a projectile or zair. From a LINKZONEload of personal experience, the absolute best way to fight a snake from a long range is with a wall of zairs and boomerangs. Both stop his grenades and his DACUS in their tracks, without having them explode. Bombs, on the other hand, may (and usually do) hurt you both if used on an approaching snake, and if snake throws a grenade in your face and you bomb it, then BAM 21 damage. D:

So, IMO, link's best weapons against snake are zair, jab cancel, smashes and rang. Snake's best weapons against link are grenade spam, unexpected DACUS, grabs and tilts. Overall, as long as Link is at a distance where he can effectively space with zair and rangs, he has the advantage. Only if the snake gets close and is on the ground does link have a major problem.

Granted, Snake with proper DI lives forever, but Link with proper DI can too (though not QUITE as long), but is actually a bit harder to gimp. As long as the Link knows the matchup well and can DI, it's definitely around a 50:50 matchup.
The formatting got screwed up from AiB, so if you want to see it in an easier to read format, go here.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
For those of you that don't know, a while ago, the Link boards got in a fight with one of the mods (Buzzsaw/LolBuzz) and most went to AiB, so the majority of the community is there. They also have their own matchup thread on AiB here.

Here is the matchup according to the AiB Link boards:

The formatting got screwed up from AiB, so if you want to see it in an easier to read format, go here.
That stuff is old and outdated from like last March or even before that. Many Links now say that the match-up is around 65:35 which is true.

Top Bottom