• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Uniqueness Tier List: Captain Falcon, Robin, Lucina, Shulk, and Meta-Knight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Meowth really has to utilize other elemental attacks, I think another pokemon would be a better option.
Exactly! That's why I avoided those elemental attacks when I was looking through Meowth's movepool.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Shadow Claw
Night Slash
Fury Swipes
Hone Claws

...these could work as slash based moves.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think that a good new approach to take with a hypothetical Meowth playstyle is having him be a "lightweight survivalist". Meowth (in the anime, at least) is notorious for getting electrocuted, beaten, burned, bruised, and sent flying into the stratosphere every single time he gets into a scrap, and somehow, his level of determination is untouchable. This characteristic, coupled with Meowth's noted slyness and underhanded behavior, could translate into Smash as a fighter that ignores the rules of the game and survives being KO'd in ways that other characters aren't able. For example, letting him cling to walls and ceilings is a cat-like behavior that would allow him to cheat death and crawl his way back to safety from the bottom of a stage. I'm sure there are other ideas that could be implemented. In conjunction with the ability to steal items and effects, I can see Meowth as an underdog fighter (which he is portrayed as in the anime): great in free-for-alls with items on, he can use his small size, sneaky behavior, quick reflexes, and fast speed to fight the opponents in his own way while they're distracted, surviving attacks others can't come back from, and keeping himself a constant annoyance on the field by staying alive for irritatingly long times (despite his weight), and snatching items and effects from players whom may just be trying to attack others.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Meowth's options based on the actual Pokemon games are very limited. Making him a thief type character is really just making him like the Meowth in the anime.
Though, Smash doesn't really have a problem with using elements of pokemon from the anime. Lucario's aura powers and his voice are based on the anime.
So basing Meowth's character around that makes sense. Plus, the anime incarnation of Meowth is the most popular.
I am, therefore, basing my analysis of Meowth's potential in the anime.

Meowth: C+ Tier
Drawing from the Anime, Meowth uses various traps such as pitfalls or net launchers. He could also use a Mech of the famous Meowth Hot Air Balloon for his FS. I see him playing similarly to Snake, Meowth would have a lot of spacing options but instead of explosives he would use various kinds of traps which immobilized his opponents. I see his FS in the balloon as very similar to Snake's FS and his Mech with some unique aspects but would basically be a transformation.
As for other attacks he would likely just slash and/or use pay day, I saw some unique ways for him to use payday and his coin in this topic but Smash already has him using his coin for payday, it would be strange if he suddenly couldn't produce more.
As for a thieving type character Meowth may fair better, but it doesn't quite break any new ground. Stealing items would be a cool trick but largely situational. Stealing effects seems cool, but makes more sense on a psychic type pokemon than on Meowth.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I'm glad to see others thought of his Pick Up Ability too. I really wanted to throw my two cents into the ring but between Arcadenik, BridgeswithTurtles and ToothiestAura I think they've pretty much covered all the ideas I had; Pick Up, Meowth's Party FS, Climbing up onto the stage from below the ledge, having a thief based moveset and using traps as a shoutout to Team Rocket's Meowth.

Overall I think his uniqueness may be mildly outshined by his fame at least without dipping into the Anime for inspiration and pulling out Nets, Mechas, Pitfall digging, utilizing other Team Rocket Pokemon or slashing the air so hard his scratches turn into a tornado of pain(Tyson's Meowth did this).

Digging the charm idea though and the ability to steal items and health off others. He'd be a fun casual character for sure.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Meowth would be good to see. It's too bad that Persian is much cooler -_-
Even though it is also a "head" Team Rocket member I don't think it would get in over Meowth.

Anyway here is what I think

Meowth

Ability - Pickup: Whenever Meowth hits an opponent he has a chance of picking up a random item (i.e. Pill or Pokeball). This chance is very low, but there is a high chance of it happening when he K.O.s someone.

Attributes - Light, Medium Jumps, Very Quick, Low Knockback, Good Combo Potential, Ledge Grabber

Moves
Neutral B - Fient: Weak damaging move that hits through shields. This move has a lot of priority also.
Side B - Fake Out: Weak attack that causes some heavy hit stun.
Down B - Payday: Think of the pokeball Meowth
Up B - Meowth Balloon: Come on, everyone knows the Meowth hot air balloon. Oh right its too big though :troll: drat

Uniqueness C+ pickup and Fient would bring Meowth over the average/semi-clones

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Meowth would be good to see. It's too bad that Persian is much cooler -_-
Even though it is also a "head" Team Rocket member I don't think it would get in over Meowth.

Anyway here is what I think

Meowth

Ability - Pickup: Whenever Meowth hits an opponent he has a chance of picking up a random item (i.e. Pill or Pokeball). This chance is very low, but there is a high chance of it happening when he K.O.s someone.

Attributes - Light, Medium Jumps, Very Quick, Low Knockback, Good Combo Potential, Ledge Grabber

Moves
Neutral B - Fient: Weak damaging move that hits through shields. This move has a lot of priority also.
Side B - Fake Out: Weak attack that causes some heavy hit stun.
Down B - Payday: Think of the pokeball Meowth
Up B - Meowth Balloon: Come on, everyone knows the Meowth hot air balloon. Oh right its too big though :troll: drat

Uniqueness C+ pickup and Fient would bring Meowth over the average/semi-clones
This is pretty good, I agree with your score.
Meowth:
C+

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Down B: Pay Day: Acts like his Pokeball move. Does a maximum of 10 hits at a time 1% each.
Neutral B: Hone Claws: (Takes about 4 seconds to charge) powers up all slashing moves by 2% for 10 seconds.
Up B: Shadow Claw: Lunges upwards quickly while slashing with a shadowy claw. 12%
Side B: Fury Swipes: Charges forward while slashing 4 times in a row. 2% each hit. (With Hone Claws this becomes 16%)

Meowth:
C+

Also since we're in this discussion, there was one other notable appearance of a Meowth battling.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
C+? Really? Some people didn't really think of Meowth's gameplay through...

I mean, yes, I believe we have established that movesets can be unique... but I believe that the word "unique" in this context means "not a clone" when it comes to special moves. That's just superficial.

But to make a character truly stand out... we need to explain how a character's moveset influences said character's gameplay... and then we decide whether this gameplay is unique in Smash...

I mean... why is Toon Link unique in Sakurai's eyes if he still has the same special moves as Link? Because he plays differently from Link...

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Meowth's at least higher than Cranky Kong because you can stretch his status as a cat to create something resembling a unique playstyle, whereas while someone like Cranky could also be unique, you'd have to stretch a lot farther. In a base state, the two are nearly identical. Meowth just has more to fall back on, and to fall back on more easily and readily.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if pizzadudemanguy is gonna post his Meowth moveset/gameplay... I am curious to see what he has in mind for Meowth.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I mean I can realistically see him going up to B at the most. Unless someone thinks of a really unique/likely ability.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I mean I can realistically see him going up to B at the most. Unless someone thinks of a really unique/likely ability.
Have you read my moveset ideas? I suggested that Meowth's charm might disappear like in the anime, weakening his coin-based moves... by giving it the characteristics of the Amulet Coin held item. So if Meowth has the charm, his coin-based moves are stronger.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Have you read my moveset ideas? I suggested that Meowth's charm might disappear like in the anime, weakening his coin-based moves... by giving it the characteristics of the Amulet Coin held item. So if Meowth has the charm, his coin-based moves are stronger.
Honestly the ability I came up with seems more unique too me. There are already characters that have power buff abilities. It also work for all his moves, not his 2 or so coin moves. Also if he had a power adjust, it makes much more sense for that to be with tactician and not his coin.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lightweight survivalist is the most adequate way of describing a good Meowth set. He'd utilize Pay Day and slash or scratching attacks like fury swipes. He'd be a small character who works at peppering the foe from a close, but relatively safe distance because of his ability to retreat to medium-range and use a fire breath-like Pay Day to butter the foe up better. Obviously if the foe were to force him into a fist fight, he would lose quickly, but he'd also be able to use the air handily, while not expertly. I can see him reaching A just based on the fact there aren't that many characters who fit this exact archetype, plus he has a real personality that is self-evident in this hypothetical moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Honestly the ability I came up with seems more unique too me. There are already characters that have power buff abilities. It also work for all his moves, not his 2 or so coin moves. Also if he had a power adjust, it makes much more sense for that to be with tactician and not his coin.
Well, how about we take a page from Vega's playbook... make Meowth's scratch-based moves have greater range when he has the charm with him...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I recommend that we rate 3 Pokemon characters today if Louie G. ever comes here to end the day.
We should rate Zoroark, Eevee, and maybe Blaziken.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I recommend that we rate 3 Pokemon characters today if Louie G. ever comes here to end the day.
We should rate Zoroark, Eevee, and maybe Blaziken.
I don't think he would mind if you started with Zoroark. You are basically second in command. Plus, Louie planned to rate these pokemon this week, he just got busy.

He can always do his rap up post on Meowth when he comes back.

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Meowth have enough resources to be in A tier. People just don't want to see that character in the game, and I understand that. Is not the type of character that excites you when is revealed. In fact most of the reactions would be like "meh" or "ugh".

Cpt.

Smash Lord
Meowth have enough resources to be in A tier. People just don't want to see that character in the game, and I understand that. Is not the type of character that excites you when is revealed. In fact most of the reactions would be like "meh" or "ugh".
I like Meowth, but I don't think he is A tier original.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I have the opposite reaction. Meowth would excite me a ton. I've wanted him in since Smash 64 before I unlocked Jigglypuff. Hell, I'd be more excited about Meowth than anyone that's been reviewed thus far even.

I just don't think he'll be A tier uniqueness...at least without TR mechas, traps and weapons aiding his pick up, pay day and climbing up stages abilities...B+ though...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hardly think she's competition, Blaziken is probably the only 3rd Gen. suggestion that is brought up alot. :p
And she's already a Pokeball, so I don't think we should pick her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom